• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

The PT fights can be too flashy, while the OT fights can be too slow despite the subject matter. I feel like the duel in Force Awakens is the perfect balance of the two. To be honest, I'm hoping that we encounter more lightsaber wielders in VIII and IX just so we can see some more lightsaber fighting styles done in the new way.
TFA duel was forgettable for me...

I still think the OT duels are by far the best because it showed that using a lightsaber was more about honour than it being a superior weapon that could deflect endless weapon fire and so on. I even like the Obi/darth fight better than other film duel for that reason..

PT fights were cool but were just one more way the force were ruined in the grand scheme of things

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Hamills hashtag game is unmatched

Also I really like Maz

Quick

Banned
dammit I was hoping this character wouldn't be in the sequels.

I hate CGI characters. They should've just used the actress.

lnJZYOI.gif

Here's hoping for more development on Maz's character.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
For some reason I think the first word Luke says is "Leave"

I agree with you mostly. Especially about Finn's character.

But the bait and switch was a bad idea. If Finn was white, it would have totally worked. Instead it was like the Steve Harvey/Miss Universe situation for many black nerds.

That's the reality of the situation. And him not winning any notable fights added fuel to the fire. If he had won the tr-8r fight instead of Han saving him, the anger would have eased up.

Any big wins at that.

Yup I agree with this completely they showcase his potential at several moments but then undercut those moments with him losing or him needing saving. Hopefully the stuff Boyega has been saying is true because he was by far my favorite character and he deserves some more badass cool moments.

I couldnt help but think while watching the force awakens, specifically the scene where Kylo looks at him in the beginning and where Maz takes an interest that there is something in Finn.

I could honestly see him having force potential.

I'm thinking the same as well why not have a black male jedi and a white female one ?

Someone wrote something somewhere recently that I really agreed with, even though I really like the film.

Noticeably absent from the heroes of The Force Awakens is friction. What made Han, Luke and Leia's relationship in the very first film so great to watch was the friction between them as a ragtag group with different motives and degrees of caution.

Basically, everyone's giving each other shit. It's a lot of fun. No one knows what they're doing and we're along for it in discovering this stuff. The moment the damsel in distress realises her rescuers are idiots, that's when Star Wars becomes something really special. It's such a pivotal part of why that trio works.

TFA is all positive reinforcement.

In Star Wars, nobody but Ben believes in Luke. In The Force Awakens, everybody believes in Rey. Luke faces this constant uphill battle to earn his birthright. Even Yoda is giving him shit just so he can move forward and learn some discipline. Maz Kanata tells Rey that Luke's lightsaber belongs to her only minutes after meeting her for the first time. Everything in the film is pointing to Rey being an incredibly special person who alone is the only person who can make a difference. That's why she has to fight Kylo, that's why she can fly the Falcon without any real experience, that's why her Jedi powers are so prominent so quickly.

It's Star Wars for the participation trophy generation.

I don't get why the characters had to be the same thing as those. The new characters are good in their own way. Just because there's no "friction" between them doesn't make it vapid, and would only strengthen the "ANH 2.0" complaints. They're simply a different set of characters that don't happen to want to be bickerers.

Eidan

Someone wrote something somewhere recently that I really agreed with, even though I really like the film.

Noticeably absent from the heroes of The Force Awakens is friction. What made Han, Luke and Leia's relationship in the very first film so great to watch was the friction between them as a ragtag group with different motives and degrees of caution.

Basically, everyone's giving each other shit. It's a lot of fun. No one knows what they're doing and we're along for it in discovering this stuff. The moment the damsel in distress realises her rescuers are idiots, that's when Star Wars becomes something really special. It's such a pivotal part of why that trio works.

In Star Wars, nobody but Ben believes in Luke. In The Force Awakens, everybody believes in Rey. Luke faces this constant uphill battle to earn his birthright. Even Yoda is giving him shit just so he can move forward and learn some discipline. Maz Kanata tells Rey that Luke's lightsaber belongs to her only minutes after meeting her for the first time. Everything in the film is pointing to Rey being an incredibly special person who alone is the only person who can make a difference. That's why she has to fight Kylo, that's why she can fly the Falcon without any real experience, that's why her Jedi powers are so prominent so quickly.

I know you likely put a lot of thought into this, but it reads like a desperate attempt to find something to complain about. I could just as easily see someone whining that friction between the TFA characters felt like a rote imitation of the original.

Who said it? People need to have a bad Star Wars?

Hai Maz.

tumblr_o54c9dDDSv1qzsjdko1_1280.jpg

From Rian's tumblr.

Oooo, I'm glad for this. Maz was a bit of a weird character in TFA because our two heroes were really hostile to her, and I even got where they were coming from so the audiences feelings toward her were in a weird place. But given how Rey and Finn have grown since then she'll hopefully be a bit more than Yoda 2.0.

Hey look, some actually pleasant criticism of TFA. I commend you for that. The one thing I will mention in response is that Rey was a total after thought to Leia when they were planning to go after Star Killer, and when Rey got taken away Han kinda just shrugged it off for the moment while only Finn was the one in that whole Act 2 ---> Act 3 sequence that was really concerned. Maz's disappearing act probably contributed to that though.

It's pretty redundant to say at this point, but VIII and IX will hopefully address this. Some of the best friction in the OT was in Empire on the Falcon, so there you go.

I know you likely put a lot of thought into this, but it reads like a desperate attempt to find something to complain about. I could just as easily see someone whining that friction between the TFA characters felt like a rote imitation of the original.

Who said it? People need to have a bad Star Wars?

I don't get why the characters had to be the same thing as those. The new characters are good in their own way. Just because there's no "friction" between them doesn't make it vapid, and would only strengthen the "ANH 2.0" complaints. They're simply a different set of characters that don't happen to want to be bickerers.

Again, I really like the film, I just agree that I would have really enjoyed the story feeling much more 'against the elements' and (yeah) with a bit more edge to it, when it comes to the character dynamics. It's just a lot of fun in the originals and the prequels lacked this to a much greater extent.

Again, I really like the film, I just agree that I would have really enjoyed the story feeling much more 'against the elements' and (yeah) with a bit more edge to it, when it comes to the character dynamics. It's just a lot of fun in the originals and the prequels lacked this to a much greater extent.

There are two more films at least to go, and... the situation was just much different. It made sense for the characters to be that way in ANH as you're dealing with a high-strung kid, Han Solo, and a bitchy ass princess. While Rey and Finn do eventually grow more fond of one another, at first she does plow him in the face with a staff, and there's some bickering as they're escaping Jakku, like the hand-holding bit.

It had characterization and good interaction between them, it was just a different thing by comparison. I too love the interactions in ANH, but I thought they were likable here and I'm glad that they weren't just complaining about everything the whole time.

-griffy-

Banned
Hmmm. Everyone in the film is second guessing Rey at first except Maz. Finn's entire first scene with her is him trying to damsel her, grabbing her hand, taking charge, etc. Han tries to be alpha mechanic before begrudgingly acknowledging that she knows what's up. Kylo essentially loses at the end because he doesn't even conceive that some random girl would be able to beat him. He just assumes he can dominate her and read her mind and leave BB-8 behind, that he could just knock her out and deal with Finn, that the saber would call to him, that he could just take her on as a student. He doesn't even see her as a serious threat.

The characters have a different dynamic than the original trio, but there's still some friction. Finn is lying to everyone, and just wants to run to the point he almost leaves them behind on Takodona. Rey just wants to go back to Jakku and put her fingers in her ears and go "nananana" when her future is contradicting that. Han just wants to dump them on some other planet, dump them on Maz, get rid of them so they aren't his problem and he doesn't have to get mixed up in the Resistance business and actually face his fucked up son. It's really a story of how those three stop trying to avoid their problems and grow the strength to face them, thanks in part to how they help each other.

Finn lies about what he knows to get onto Starkiller, and when Han figures out he doesn't know shit he gives him crap for it. "That's not how the Force works!" That kind of playful ribbing seems to be what you are saying is missing.

Luke's AND Anakin's stories are both that they are incredibly special people who can save the universe. That's kind of the Star Wars story. Anakin is literally labeled "the chosen one."

And for fuck's sake, Rey has experience flying ships.

If you want to keep this convo going I recommend bringing it to this thread.

Han just wants to dump them on some other planet, dump them on Maz, get rid of them so they aren't his problem and he doesn't have to get mixed up in the Resistance business and actually face his fucked up son.

This is the funniest shit I've read in a while.

Mr Cola

Hmmm. Everyone in the film is second guessing Rey at first except Maz. Finn's entire first scene with her is him trying to damsel her, grabbing her hand, taking charge, etc. Han tries to be alpha mechanic before begrudgingly acknowledging that she knows what's up. Kylo essentially loses at the end because he doesn't even conceive that some random girl would be able to beat him. He just assumes he can dominate her and read her mind and leave BB-8 behind, that he could just knock her out and deal with Finn, that the saber would call to him, that he could just take her on as a student. He doesn't even see her as a serious threat.

The characters have a different dynamic than the original trio, but there's still some friction. Finn is lying to everyone, and just wants to run to the point he almost leaves them behind on Takodona. Rey just wants to go back to Jakku and put her fingers in her ears and go "nananana" when her future is contradicting that. Han just wants to dump them on some other planet, dump them on Maz, get rid of them so they aren't his problem and he doesn't have to get mixed up in the Resistance business and actually face his fucked up son. It's really a story of how those three stop trying to avoid their problems and grow the strength to face them, thanks in part to how they help each other.

Finn lies about what he knows to get onto Starkiller, and when Han figures out he doesn't know shit he gives him crap for it. "That's not how the Force works!" That kind of playful ribbing seems to be what you are saying is missing.

Luke's AND Anakin's stories are both that they are incredibly special people who can save the universe. That's kind of the Star Wars story. Anakin is literally labeled "the chosen one."

And for fuck's sake, Rey has experience flying ships.

If you want to keep this convo going I recommend bringing it to this thread.

Whats kidn of interesting about the trio of the original trilogy is that these are three characters brought together through circumstance and war and it appears in the absence of this they cant function together, Leia and Han forge their relationship in the midst of hardships and when the hardships ended seemingly couldnt make it work, I know they had a son but JJ has commented frequently they were not there for him, he wasnt just corrupted, he was neglected.

Luke the same, Leia makes reference to "sending him to Luke" implying Luke was not around, when he leaves no-one can reach him.

Id make an argument their friendship really only thrives in war and not day to day.

jelly

I wonder if they'll have a Red Barron type against Poe, would be pretty neat instead of New Order fodder in the skies.

I wonder if they'll have a Red Barron type against Poe, would be pretty neat instead of New Order fodder in the skies.

Wasn't captain phasma supposed to be the cool bad guy?

I agree though, a bad ass pilot or sniper (like in enemy at the gates) would be awesom.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't like Maz that much either.
I mean, I love the character, but we all know that the CGI used will be regarded as completely cringeworthy in less than ten years. It's inevitable.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't like Maz that much either.
I mean, I love the character, but we all know that the CGI used will be regarded as completely cringeworthy in less than ten years. It's inevitable.
Seemed pretty cringeworthy in 2015...

I'm guessing Phasma doesn't tell anyone she let the rebels lower the shield. She single handedly got their greatest weapon blown up because she was a coward. I guess they can't breed integrity into these soldiers.

I'm guessing Phasma doesn't tell anyone she let the rebels lower the shield. She single handedly got their greatest weapon blown up because she was a coward. I guess they can't breed integrity into these soldiers.

Without Chewie and Han planting the detonators, it wouldn't have been possible to destroy the base, so she didn't quite manage it single-handedly.

It'll be interesting to see if she's still aligned with the FO in VIII or goes solo.

I loved the movie, but am not really a fan of Maz. For an old alien she sounded an awful lot like a young human. I thought those cantina scenes generally felt a bit half baked anyway, as concerns who's doing what & why.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Hai Maz.

tumblr_o54c9dDDSv1qzsjdko1_1280.jpg

From Rian's tumblr.

dammit I was hoping this character wouldn't be in the sequels.

I hate CGI characters. They should've just used the actress.

I really wish they used more interesting cgi for her character. As a matter of fact both Snoke and Maz might as well have been live action, with how human like their design was.

In 1999 we got Watto, there was no reason we couldn't get something even better in 2015.

wetwired

put me in the "urgh, more Maz" camp, nothing to do with the CGI, I just found the character completely uncompelling and uninteresting

Peru

Maz could be an interesting character, but I just can't connect emotionally with a CGI character. Even with the brightest minds in sfx working on it, it doesn't come across as something real. It doesn't look like a convincing physical presence, and it doesn't feel like real emotional acting. Gollum I guess was close, but no one's even managed to reach that level since.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Maz could be an interesting character, but I just can't connect emotionally with a CGI character. Even with the brightest minds in sfx working on it, it doesn't come across as something real. It doesn't look like a convincing physical presence, and it doesn't feel like real emotional acting. Gollum I guess was close, but no one's even managed to reach that level since.

I'm sorry, but if you're able to connect with a man in a fur suit that has practically zero ability to make facial expressions then perhaps it's possible to connect with a CGI character.

You don't connect with any Ghibli or Pixar stuff?

I'd say Caesar in Planet of the Apes is a good example.. I definitely felt connected to his character.

I liked Maz a lot, I just wasn't too keen on how she just disappears from the film completely.

Apt101

I've watched my VII bluray twice and now watching it a third time I cannot wait thank goodness for Disney. Never thought I'd write or say that.

Mr Cola

Part of me hopes he just has that face the whole film

Top Bottom