• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

CftAyCAXIAA3sb9.jpg
So its gonna be a rehash of empire? After tfa... Im out.

All this film needs is lando, more Poe and a good story thread between Luke and rey. I have no idea what the right path for kylo is in terms of his arc for episode 8.

Peru

Mark Hamill is getting so much joy out of this experience, that's certainly one of the sweetest narratives of this franchise relaunch era.

Henkka

Banned
Maz and Captain Phasma need to be left behind, garbage characters.

Phasma can still be redeemed, but yeah, I'm not sure what we need Maz for now that Luke goddamn Skywalker is here to be the old, wise character.

Seriously though, I hope they skip most of the training. The scenes between Luke and Rey should focus on their characters, not the Force, since the audience already knows basically how the Force works. Really hope it's not a retread of Empire.

Boke1879

Phasma needs a lot to be redeemed but I think it can be done. Make her a revenge type character for Finn.

That said Maz certainly has a place. The FO attacked and destroyed her castle. She will be helping the resistance in some capacity.

MrMephistoX

He beat Vader but Vader was also a wrecked husk of a man and not fast at all. Obviously, he could punk normies due to the Force but no way he takes down an actual Jedi Knight in his OT state.

Luke being able to take an elderly man in an exoskeleton doesn't make him a master swordsman.

You should really watch Rebels; he's completely menacing and a beast as it should be. I always hated that Expanded universe bullshit take on Vader being a powerless shell. He's completely toying with Luke in ESB and Return of the Jedi. A New Hope just didn't have the budget ( you can literally see a flashlight at the end of a pole in one shot of the the obi wan fight its so bad) to make dynamic light saber fighting look cool that's the reason it's such a slow paced fight....never understood why Lucas didn't go back and fix all the weird and inconsistent light saber visual glitches instead of making Han shoot first.

Iceternal

Phasma needs a lot to be redeemed but I think it can be done. Make her a revenge type character for Finn.

That said Maz certainly has a place. The FO attacked and destroyed her castle. She will be helping the resistance in some capacity.

This makes me realize they really wasted the villains in Episode 7 in order to make the heroes look good and they're going to have a hard time reestablishing them as threatening again. Kylo Ren in particular.

MrMephistoX

This makes me realize they really wasted the villains in Episode 7 in order to make the heroes look good and they're going to have a hard time reestablishing them as threatening again. Kylo Ren in particular.

Couldn't disagree more except for maybe Phasma: Kylo was an emotionally unstable wreck and had a massive wound and still managed to cripple fin. He hasn't been fully trained so it's kind of like the story of him going to the dark side completely as Rey gets called to the light.

Vader was made to look like a bit of wally after ANH and there was no problem there. He persuades Tarkin to let him track the Falcon to Yavin and the Death Star ends up destroyed because they travel there. Then he ends up spinning away from the destruction like a spinning top.

Phasma was definitely made to look like a twirp but I don't think its much of an issue for Kylo, especially if he overthrows Snoke.

Ren took a blaster bolt in the gut from a weapon shown to knock lesser dudes off their feet and a lightsaber slash to the shoulder and still completely tossed Finn to the side (when he decided to stop playing) and had Rey beat until the word "Force" triggered her Avatar State.

If anything, he looked better coming out of the final duel.

zethren

Banned
Mark Hamill is getting so much joy out of this experience, that's certainly one of the sweetest narratives of this franchise relaunch era.

I really have to agree. I am loving watching him have so much fun. Cannot wait to see him in VIII.

Gambit

Kylo Ren just killed the coolest person in the galaxy. I think he is a lot more credible as a villain than he was when he first took his mask off.

Facing Rey while sane/healthy will make that clear. Plus the other knights of Ren and Snoke will help as well.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought Maz had an awesome accent and was a cool character. Certainly way less annoying than C3PO or Jar-Jar Binks.

I want Captain Phasma back but actually to have some lightsaber / longsword fights. Or at least be some sort of badass and then join the good team.

Blizzard

Banned
Why do people consider C3PO as annoying as Jar Jar? Whats wrong with the world?
Oh I don't consider him AS annoying. Jar Jar was the worst. C3PO is a lesser form of annoyance. I watched the original trilogy again recently and the C3PO parts got kind of grating -- a friend who wasn't very familiar with Star Wars thought the same thing.

Ren took a blaster bolt in the gut from a weapon shown to knock lesser dudes off their feet and a lightsaber slash to the shoulder and still completely tossed Finn to the side (when he decided to stop playing) and had Rey beat until the word "Force" triggered her Avatar State.

If anything, he looked better coming out of the final duel.

lmao at avatar state

and yea people sleeping on Kylo are so off-base... dude is a straight-up monster and is gonna be even more pissed off when he comes back... but it is clear that Rey > Ren when it comes to ability overall

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im interested to see what Hans prophecy will mean, he clearly tells Kylo that Snoke is going to use his power and destroy him, but for what?

My gut says to lure Luke out, one of the few things that could is his nephew being in trouble.

Boke1879

Except for maybe Phasma I really like where they are taking the character of Kylo Ren. I think it'll be interested to see how he acts after his "training" is completed. I really like the dynamic he has with Hux and based on some theories of mine it'll be very interesting to see where that relationship goes.

GhaleonEB

That Mark/Daisy picture is amazing.

lmao at avatar state

and yea people sleeping on Kylo are so off-base... dude is a straight-up monster and is gonna be even more pissed off when he comes back... but it is clear that Rey > Ren when it comes to ability overall

Yup. And a more disciplined Kylo Ren, who is just being ruthless and not flashy - learning not to massage he ego quite as much - would be terrifying. Guessing that will be part of his progression.

Watching the blu-ray and behind the scenes footage really gave me an appreciation for his swordplay. Great choreography. He demolished Finn and had Rey on her back heel from the get go, until the very end.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Maz needs to return to explain how she got that Lightsaber. Has to be a good reason why she had that one. Writers easily could have had Luke's green saber be the one found.

lmao at avatar state

Thing is. I'm not sure Ren is well trained in how to use a Lighsaber. He's a skilled force user, but given that he's using an unstable lightsaber that could blow up in his face, I don't think Luke ever got to that part of his training.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So curious how Luke sounds in this new trilogy, I cant think past optimistic hopeful and good Luke, Hamills got a whole new challenge ahead of him.

I bet all my money we wont hear any words of his til the final trailer, they gonna milk this cow for all its worth.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-7s-daisy-ridley-responds-to-rumors-about/1100-6438695/

Star Wars 7's Daisy Ridley Responds to Rumors About Rey's Parents, Says Episode 8 Is "Darker"

Speaking tonight at the MTV Movie Awards, Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens actress Daisy Ridley shared some interesting insight into her character Rey and the next movie in the series.

On the subject of Episode VIII, which is currently filming, the actress told MTV News the movie is "darker" in tone than The Force Awakens, though she did not share a reason why. Back in January, Finn actor John Boyega said the same thing. "Much darker, but we're very excited," he said at the time.

Ridley also responded to the theories that Felicity Jones' character Jyn Erso in Rogue One is Rey's mom.

"I'm not being funny you guys, but just because she's white and got brown hair… it doesn't mean she's my mom," she said.

Ridley says she does in fact know who Rey's parents are, having been informed of the detail during the filming of The Force Awakens. As you might have guessed, she didn't say who they are.

"I think the amazing thing about Episode VII is that Finn and Rey don't come from anywhere and they find a place," she said. "To me, it's funny that people think [Rey's lineage] is so important, because I guess it is. But I don't really think it is because regardless of where you come from, where you go is the thing...you're moving forward, and you can make a family; you can find people who you love.

"And so I think the progression Rey is making is and the people she's meeting and the relationships she's making now are kind of more important than where she comes from. But that's just me."

Finally, Ridley said she's not sure Rey is indeed a Jedi.

"I don't know if I am a Jedi… I don't think I am. We've had this debate as to whether Leia is because she uses her Force powers. Just because she's not like, oh I'm going on an adventure like Luke doesn't make her any less Forceful."

Rogue One comes out this December, while Episode VIII follows in December 2017.

My hope with Phasma is that they make her a disgraced former First Order member who is now hell bent on getting revenge on Finn by becoming a bounty hunter like character. Gwendoline Christie deserves a really interesting role in this saga.

I've been saying this will happen since like, opening night, lol. She might not have been great in TFA but the have so much to work off of with that angle now.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I realize that this is the episode VIII thread, but I just saw TFA last night. Yikes. The special effects were great, but the acting and dialogue were all over the place (Rey seemed too stiff and Finn seemed like he was trying way too hard). A lot of the "jokes" seemed really forced and Finn's sudden "Because it's the right thing to do" turn was laughable. Here's hoping episode VIII cleans a lot of that stuff up.

beef3483

I agree with you mostly. Especially about Finn's character.

But the bait and switch was a bad idea. If Finn was white, it would have totally worked. Instead it was like the Steve Harvey/Miss Universe situation for many black nerds.

That's the reality of the situation. And him not winning any notable fights added fuel to the fire. If he had won the tr-8r fight instead of Han saving him, the anger would have eased up.

Any big wins at that.

I think Finn fans just need to wait. My guess is that he was getting his ass kicked all over the place in TFA, to show his growth in the next movies. Book it, he's going to do some very heroic shit that pulls Rey's ass from the fire in the next films.
Watching the TFA again with the DVD release, it seems to me he is being set up as the replacement for Han Solo.
Oh, and they'll fall in love.

GhaleonEB

Finally, Ridley said she's not sure Rey is indeed a Jedi.

"I don't know if I am a Jedi… I don't think I am. We've had this debate as to whether Leia is because she uses her Force powers. Just because she's not like, oh I'm going on an adventure like Luke doesn't make her any less Forceful."

I'm hoping they start to move away from the idea of Jedi being the only light side force users. That seems to be happening already - Rey is a Force user, but not a Jedi; Maz (though that scene was cut) is, but she says she's not a Jedi; Leia, as she mentions. Similar to how they've moved beyond the Sith as the dark side Force users.

Luke's failure might be what makes Rey turn away from the Jedi as a school of thought and just do her own thing, as Kylo Ren has.

btrboyev

I'm hoping they start to move away from the idea of Jedi being the only light side force users. That seems to be happening already - Rey is a Force user, but not a Jedi; Maz (though that scene was cut) is, but she says she's not a Jedi; Leia, as she mentions. Similar to how they've moved beyond the Sith as the dark side Force users.

Luke's failure might be what makes Rey turn away from the Jedi as a school of thought and just do her own thing, as Kylo Ren has.

Yet one of the very first things that is said in TFA is there is no balance in the force without the Jedi.

She will become a Jedi in the non-traditional sense that Luke also became a Jedi. Threw her own method with the aide of Luke.

Yeah, I like how theyve implied now that Jedi and Sith are not the only paths to Light and Dark. Jedi and Sith are just religions, a standard of practices, that align with the force in their own ways. Just because you believe in and/or use the force, it doesn't automatically mean you're a Jedi.

Much like believing in a higher power doesn't automatically make you a Mormon, you might be a Muslim or a Methodist or just agnostic. The Jedi are just one train of thought, Sith is another, and there could be more. The Force is not confined to the box the Jedi and Sith put it in.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, I like how theyve implied now that Jedi and Sith are not the only paths to Light and Dark. Jedi and Sith are just religions, a standard of practices, that align with the force in their own ways. Just because you believe in and/or use the force, it doesn't automatically mean you're a Jedi.

Much like believing in a higher power doesn't automatically make you a Mormon, you might be a Muslim or a Methodist or just agnostic. The Jedi are just one train of thought, Sith is another, and there could be more. The Force is not confined to the box the Jedi and Sith put it in.

But wasnt that always a thing?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Growing up, me and my friends always assumed that Jedi meant good force user and Sith meant bad force user, and that's just how the spectrum was labelled. If you were a light force user, you were a Jedi.

I am pretty sure even in the old EU were a lot of shades of gray. Sure, they were labeled dark and gray jedi, but they werent the good shiny standard Jedi.
The Wichtes of Dathomir for example are also a longer time around.

GhaleonEB

Yet one of the very first things that is said in TFA is there is no balance in the force without the Jedi.

She will become a Jedi in the non-traditional sense that Luke also became a Jedi. Threw her own method with the aide of Luke.

It's significant that the scene was at the beginning of the film, though. It formed connective tissue to both the OT ("to me she's royalty") and the PT ("balance in the Force"). But by the end of the film we have the first light side Force user not to be trained by a Jedi in the series, to date. She didn't need them, her awakening took place without their training, and I think TFA was making a clear point about that. The last time someone tried to train Jedi, it was all burned down (literally) and Kylo Ren came to be. The Jedi had nothing to do with Rey's ascension. There's no reason to think she has to embrace their ideas. Luke might not even want to train her given how his last go at it went.

Nodnol

I'm really interested in what went down between Luke and Kylo.

Obi-Wan says to Luke that he is the first of the new Jedi...you would hope he wouldn't make the same mistakes the old Jedi Order did. I suppose it all depends on why he was training padawans, and why he abandoned that entirely after Kylo. He's being a space hermit for a reason though (after recently watching Rebels, there's some interesting ideas/set pieces they can explore with old Jedi ruins/temples etc).

Can't wait for the first trailer (I know, aaaagggeees away), because I think we can kinda guess where characters are heading, roughly, but I want a better idea of the backdrop the film uses; I.E. to what extent has FO vs Resistance escalated? What are the ramifications of the New Republic being decimated?

Top Bottom