• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

maharg

idspispopd
That's the thing though, there's only two decades between Episodes 3 and 4.

So basically what happened is: everything was new and shiny in the PT and in the OT everything was run down. Okay, fair enough I can suspend my disbelief enough to accept that two decades of war has caused both sides, even the powerful Empire, to quit painting and shining all their material.

But what I can't accept is how in only two decades time EVERY vehicle was adapted and changed THAT much. I guess I should have clarified better, the vehicles in the PT should have been WAY closer to the OT than they were.

I mean, look at cars, I can clearly see the similarities in a VW Golf Mk3 (about 20 years old) compared to a current VW Golf Mk7, I was expecting an evolution like that.

Eh, the clone wars cruisers (basically prototype star destroyers) look pretty much exactly like the later Imperial aesthetic, down to the dark tones. The ships built before the clone wars are mostly not warships, or are at least the sort of warships you build when you don't really expect to use them.

And the Imperial fighters make sense for how the Empire fights, too. They're small and single purpose because they just throw them at the enemy in large numbers, because they're piloted by clones (at least at first). And the rebel ships actually look quite a lot like the pre-clone wars ships, just dirtier.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PT is pretty terrible all-round, but this is one common criticism that's always seemed completely off base to me.

Dooku takes Anakin's hand he cut off on Geonosis and lost it on the way to Coruscant?

Nah, the hand Luke cut off when he went apeshit at the end of RotJ. There is an entire EU book based around finding it, I sort of doubt they'd have it as the focal point of Ep. VII.

BFIB

Nah, the hand Luke cut off when he went apeshit at the end of RotJ. There is an entire EU book based around finding it, I sort of doubt they'd have it as the focal point of Ep. VII.

Interesting. I really need to get into the EU stuff (even though now its not official cannon).

Screencapped it, just because I felt like it:
clipboard02xej5e.jpg

Really beginning to like it, look forward to building the Lego model and putting next to the OT X-Wing. (such a geek)

Looks good

I'm betting Han & Chewie are captaining a Star Destroyer at the beginning of this movie.

Boyega decides to defect with whoever this girl Daisy Ridley is playing.
She says she knows somebody who can figure out this lightsaber thing.
She calls someone to come pick her up.
Enter Star Destroyer
Boyega starts tripping because a Star Destroyer is the last thing you want to see if you're trying to defect from the Empire
Han Solo welcomes this girl.
This girl says "Hi dad."

Begin adventure.

This is what I was saying in the Han thread. The rumor for that said Han and his daughter meet someone that isn't what he seems. Everything fits. I wouldn't be surprised if Han and his daughter are looking for Luke when they meet the Boyega's character and he has the light saber.

In the prequels we're spending a lot of time in the galactic capital, with politicians, Jedi etc. what we see in the prequels is the high society, of course they would have fancy ships and clean looking buildings.

But there are still grimy worlds, stuff like the pod racers hardly looked new and shiny. Padme's ship sticks out like a sore thumb on Tatooine.

I agree with you. I'm staying spoiler free with the new movies, so I hardly know anything about it. What I'm hoping is that J. J. does something new with it, instead of relaying on the OT trilogy. I'm very wary of what's he's been doing, but I'm keeping an open mind. It might work, it might not. What I hope for is that there's more new planets. I am still looking forward to the new movies.

What's your point? A poster is different than some hand floating through space, by some miracle not burning up in the atmosphere, and the characters coming across it.

The characters come across the saber, not necessarily the hand attached to it, robotic or otherwise.

I agree with you. I'm staying spoiler free with the new movies, so I hardly know anything about it. What I'm hoping is that J. J. does something new with it, instead of relaying on the OT trilogy. I'm very wary of what's he's been doing, but I'm keeping an open mind. It might work, it might not. What I hope for is that there's more new planets. I am still looking forward to the new movies.

I do think it's fine to have some "OT-ness" in these; after all it's a continuation of the same story in the same universe, and like it or not SW has always focused on the Skywalkers. It's very possible that the new movies may not feature a Skywalker protagonist, but I think the story will still heavily involve that name. I wouldn't want the new movies to segregate themselves from the OT just to appease those who yell about nostalgia pandering; it is after all Episode VII, not a spinoff or this brand new thing. I think the story will be new but it's going to be a product of everything that has come before. It would be weird to have a nine episode series, have the first six episodes pertain to one thing and the last three just randomly being about something else entirely.

I also think that people are reading into the hand thing and are getting visions in their minds of something silly. This is why we're not visionaries out making movies, but rather sitting on our asses on a message board worried about how things will look or be executed.

The characters come across the saber, not necessarily the hand attached to it, robotic or otherwise.

Not saying you can't be right, and the idea of them finding just the saber is much better (though still a pretty lame jumping off point). But, the rumor does straight up say the hand falls into the desert and is found:

That hand falls onto a desert planet, where it is discovered by characters who will be our heroes.

How would the hand thing even be possible unless Luke had his hand cut off right near the planet? Hands aren't exactly capable of warp.

Maybe there's a ship that just crashed/got in a fight/exploded?

Maybe it's not even Luke's hand? It's just A hand holding Luke's lightsaber?

The fact the concept of the imagery inspires so many questions isn't a bad thing, especially if that imagery (and the saber itself) lead to the answering of those questions through the plotting of the movie itself.

People are acting like the fact something that's intended to drive the plot would have questions attached to it is a BAD thing, and I don't get it.

Squire

Banned
I'm betting Han & Chewie are captaining a Star Destroyer at the beginning of this movie.

Boyega decides to defect with whoever this girl Daisy Ridley is playing.
She says she knows somebody who can figure out this lightsaber thing.
She calls someone to come pick her up.
Enter Star Destroyer
Boyega starts tripping because a Star Destroyer is the last thing you want to see if you're trying to defect from the Empire
Han Solo welcomes this girl.
This girl says "Hi dad."

Begin adventure.

Not sure if posted, but apparently
as Boyega is a Stormtrooper, Ridley is a Jedi in training. If true, that explains the motivation to return the lightsaber. Also makes perfect sense she would be Han (and presumably Leia's) daughter.

I do think it's fine to have some "OT-ness" in these; after all it's a continuation of the same story in the same universe, and like it or not SW has always focused on the Skywalkers. It's very possible that the new movies may not feature a Skywalker protagonist, but I think the story will still heavily involve that name. I wouldn't want the new movies to segregate themselves from the OT just to appease those who yell about nostalgia pandering; it is after all Episode VII, not a spinoff or this brand new thing. I think the story will be new but it's going to be a product of everything that has come before. It would be weird to have a nine episode series, have the first six episodes pertain to one thing and the last three just randomly being about something else entirely.

Yeah, but what has me worried is that rumor that it's 30 years, and the Empire is still there, and the Rebels are still there. It just to me makes no sense. I'm keeping a open mind, when I am going to watch it. Just to clarify, I want a mixture of OT, Prequel, and new. I don't mind it focusing on the Skywalkers. I do agree with what you said though. I'm not going to judge it until the final product is in theaters and after I watch it. I'm just saying my thoughts on the issue.

sphagnum

Banned
I don't like the hand idea but are people forgetting that it's possible that the hand was, you know, cut off in a fight above the planet recently? It doesn't have to have been floating in space all the way from Bespin for 30 years or something.

Yeah, but what has me worried is that rumor that it's 30 years, and the Empire is still there, and the Rebels are still there. It just to me makes no sense. I'm keeping a open mind, when I am going to watch it. Just to clarify, I want a mixture of OT, Prequel, and new. I don't mind it focusing on the Skywalkers. I do agree with what you said though. I'm not going to judge it until the final product is in theaters and after I watch it. I'm just saying my thoughts on the issue.

Gotcha. I'm simply waiting for the script to explain these things, as I'm sure it will. Context is so very important here, and these are really smart people so I don't think it'll be an issue.

what if the
midichlorians
use the
Force
to decelerate the
hand
and
give it a soft landing
or what if everyone on the
desert planet
wears
space suits
and the
planet
has little to no
atmosphere
and really spongy
sand

Gotcha. I'm simply waiting for the script to explain these things, as I'm sure it will. Context is so very important here, and these are really smart people so I don't think it'll be an issue.

As long as they explain it well I'll be fine with it. Even though I want an new villain other than the Empire, if they do it well, I have no problem with it.

As long as they explain it well I'll be fine with it. Even though I want an new villain other than the Empire, if they do it well, I have no problem with it.

I'm curious as to what type of presence the Empire has, and to what extent it will be involved with the new story. I think there will be a villain or villainous faction not related to the Empire.

I'm curious as to what type of presence the Empire has, and to what extent it will be involved with the new story. I think there will be a villain or villainous faction not related to the Empire.

That would be interesting. I'm wondering when the theatrical teaser trailer will show up. I can't wait to see how it looks. The cast looks amazing.

That's another thing, I'm wondering if they will use the Sith Witches as one of the bad guys other than the empire.

I think it would be badass if the new threat somehow completely obliterated the Empire or either took it over, took over the remnants of it and sort of rebuilt it as a new empire. I have to say that so far the story has really been eluding my predictions, at least if the new rumors are true. It seemed obvious to me that Luke would be running a new Jedi Order and Boyega would be a Jedi or his apprentice or something, now it sounds like Luke's been missing, there is no new Jedi order and Boyega is a fucking stormtrooper.

inm8num2

what if the
midichlorians
use the
Force
to decelerate the
hand
and
give it a soft landing
or what if everyone on the
desert planet
wears
space suits
and the
planet
has little to no
atmosphere
and really spongy
sand

LOL well done! :)

Woorloog

Banned
The X-Wing is nice but... Is it X-Wing? The wings don't look like they'd open.
Also, the landing gear looks like it can't fit in the lower wing. Might be just due to perspective... but things like that bother me.

Looks a lot like Z-95 Headhunter. But then that was based on the same concept art as far as i know.

Also, as i noted to my friend, i still don't get why rocket engines look like jet engines. Unless they're like ramscoops, scooping up stuff for reaction mass (and given the advanced tech and pseudo-science of SW, perhaps they use dark matter or something. And no, don't link Wookieepedia page for me, like my explanation better than the formerly canonical one).
This is doubly odd as the X-wing is like the only ship with such engines.

maharg

idspispopd
Also, the landing gear looks like it can't fit in the lower wing. Might be just due to perspective... but things like that bother me.

Looks a lot like Z-95 Headhunter. But then that was based on the same concept art as far as i know.

Also, as i noted to my friend, i still don't get why rocket engines look like jet engines. Unless they're like ramscoops, scooping up stuff for reaction mass (and given the advanced tech and pseudo-science of SW, perhaps they use dark matter or something. And no, don't link Wookieepedia page for me, like my explanation better than the formerly canonical one).

It does look a lot more like a headhunter, but those fell out of canon afaik. Also it would seem strange to have quad lasers split like that if they didn't separate.

Woorloog

Banned
It does look a lot more like a headhunter, but those fell out of canon afaik. Also it would seem strange to have quad lasers split like that if they didn't separate.

The Clone Wars (the CGI one) series is still canon as far as i know and has Headhunters, though perhaps the old version of the Headhunter is now Legends content.
The quad lasers still makes sense even if the ship isn't a proper X-wing... you just have 4 high power laser cannons.

Looking at the video, the wings do look a bit like they'd split, the seam is just nigh-invisible.

It's been officially stated that it is a X-Wing. Though we've been lied to before.

Top Bottom