• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

I just can't get behind the idea of him being Calrissian. It would seem a little jarring for him to start with the badguys, unless he was a bastard child of some sort.

He also immediately leaves the bad guys once he realizes they're straight up BAD GUYS. It's possible he joined under a more idealistic mindset. Who knows why he joined. Luke was trying to join in Star Wars. Han actually did (or at least that was the backstory before the EU wipeout).

When I found out a Calrissian kid was one of the earlier ideas, (he'd been assigned to both the Stormtrooper AND the Pilot characters, before they got worked through) and that it made it through a significant part of development, I was trying to figure out why/how he might end up in the First Order. And maybe it's an act of defiance? He doesn't have to be a bastard. He might just not like his dad very much, and doesn't want to be like him.

Whereas Rey might be feeling abandoned due to actually BEING abandoned (either by Han/Leia or by Luke), Finn might be the one doing the abandoning. I do get the sense those two characters are going to have similarities in what it is they're trying to work through over the course of the series, theyre just approaching it from different angles.

And yeah, as much as I think it's fucking silly to actually steer into the "Black guy in Star Wars? Gotta be Lando's kid" idea, the name Finn Calrissian does sound kinda cool.

BigDes

If Finn is Lando's kid, I'm gonna boo the fuck out of that. Like theres just one nigga in the entire universe so of course the one black kid is his, who just so happen to run into another kid who's related to the heroes in the last movie, who just so happen to be fighting against a kid who's related to the heroes in the last movie.

The Star Wars universe can't be this small can it? Its like in ST '09 when Kirk got beamed down to a random planet and oh hey Old Spock is there like 20 feet away that's convenient here's some flashback exposition and oh hey Scotty is like a few blocks down as well and can beam them up wow look at that

Think about how many times they ended up at Tattooine in the last few movies.

Empire was the only movie that it didn't feature in.

Star Wars Universe is tiny.

Actually now that I think about it, shouldn't Finn's commanders in the First Order be using his last name?

Yup!

Would have to be a lot of twisting to avoid that. Especially since he gets called out specifically as being a shitty trooper after that first mission they go on.

So unless they just bark the word "TROOPER" at him, someone should probably be using his last name pretty quickly into the movie.

He also immediately leaves the bad guys once he realizes they're straight up BAD GUYS. It's possible he joined under a more idealistic mindset. Who knows why he joined. Luke was trying to join in Star Wars. Han actually did (or at least that was the backstory before the EU wipeout).

When I found out a Calrissian kid was one of the earlier ideas, (he'd been assigned to both the Stormtrooper AND the Pilot characters, before they got worked through) and that it made it through a significant part of development, I was trying to figure out why/how he might end up in the First Order. And maybe it's an act of defiance? He doesn't have to be a bastard. He might just not like his dad very much, and doesn't want to be like him.

Whereas Rey might be feeling abandoned due to actually BEING abandoned (either by Han/Leia or by Luke), Finn might be the one doing the abandoning. I do get the sense those two characters are going to have similarities in what it is they're trying to work through over the course of the series, theyre just approaching it from different angles.

And yeah, as much as I think it's fucking silly to actually steer into the "Black guy in Star Wars? Gotta be Lando's kid" idea, the name Finn Calrissian does sound kinda cool.
Honestly, when you put it this way the thought actually grows on me a little bit (a very teeny tiny bit). It sounds a little less arbitrary than simple pandering and draws a certain degree of parallelism into the different ways the characters deal with their family situation. Having the characters be related to people who are already close to each other helps explain why they might intersect both due to association and the supernatural (the force). In this context it is better than him being a Windu, at least.

Still, I think my beef with this would be Han unknowingly (??) hanging out with Lando and Luke's kids, then being killed by his own. Granted, that leads into strong thematic territory, but it is real messy and hard to buy. I mean, the leaks don't really tell us much about actual associations, but the way its laid out doesn't seem like it would leave much room to explore the fallout of this sudden convergence of characters.

Still, I think my beef with this would be Han unknowingly (??) hanging out with Lando and Luke's kids, then being killed by his own.

Well, it seems like he never knows who Rey is (he certainly doesn't seem to act as if he knows she's his, if she is. I don't think she is, though - and his actions around her are part of the reason why), but apparently he and Finn bond pretty tightly, pretty quickly. And if he's Lando's kid, that might explain why Han opens up to him a little faster than he otherwise might.

I mean - Finn uses that saber when he doesn't have to. Kylo doesn't have him cornered. He turns and is like "Fuck this guy. He's going down for what he did." Maybe he's not just fighting because Han was cool for the 12 hours he knew the guy. Maybe he's fighting because this is a guy who is important to his dad, too.

I mean, maybe. Han's got some shit to work through regarding finding out his kid is a bad guy. Maybe Finn has some shit to work through with regards to his dad. Maybe Finn and Han are helping each other work through their problems at the same time before Kylo forces the issue.

Cheebo

Banned
Finns lack of last name I think is the same reason for all the media of him with saber. All to sort of mask the Rey as the OT family member force user hero. I bet Finns last name is not special in the end.

Hiding only Rey's name would stand out far more.

Even with the Lucasfilm having him on a rope this feels like classic Abrams marketing ploy. And fits the spoilers and what we know about the Finn with saber fake-out.

“What was incredible from my point of view was how apparently easily they flipped back into these roles,” says Abrams. “I knew for a fact, for example, that Harrison Ford was going to be in this movie, but I couldn’t be certain that Han Solo would be. Meaning, I hadn’t seen Han Solo return after nearly 40 years, either. And it wasn’t until we got on set that I got my answer. It was a remarkable thing to see how effortlessly Harrison Ford became Han Solo again.”

I can't wait.

Maybe people should not be mad when their expectations for something, which they have no control over, aren't met. All that should matter is if the movie is well made. If everything makes sense in context to the story there isn't going to be a problem.

All that really matters.

I wanted Rey to be the Jedi from the beginning, but I wouldn't be opposed to Finn being the one. Then Again, this is the Skywalker saga, and the last trailer seemed pretty heavy on that. Regardless, what I want is for it to be a good movie. They'll both be important characters, and need each other.

Well, it seems like he never knows who Rey is (he certainly doesn't seem to act as if he knows she's his, if she is. I don't think she is, though - and his actions around her are part of the reason why), but apparently he and Finn bond pretty tightly, pretty quickly. And if he's Lando's kid, that might explain why Han opens up to him a little faster than he otherwise might.

I mean - Finn uses that saber when he doesn't have to. Kylo doesn't have him cornered. He turns and is like "Fuck this guy. He's going down for what he did." Maybe he's not just fighting because Han was cool for the 12 hours he knew the guy. Maybe he's fighting because this is a guy who is important to his dad, too.

I mean, maybe. Han's got some shit to work through regarding finding out his kid is a bad guy. Maybe Finn has some shit to work through with regards to his dad. Maybe Finn and Han are helping each other work through their problems at the same time before Kylo forces the issue.
Well shit. You are fitting this together pretty well, and to be honest I don't think I really would have a beef with this afterall. The very last beef would be the black guy is the son of the only other black guy, but you know what, black people can have heroic family legacies too.

Doesn't Kylo Ren kill Finn's stormtrooper friend for some failure at the village the first order attacks in the beginning of the film? Revenge for his friend + Han seem good reason enough.

Cheebo

Banned
Doesn't Kylo Ren kill Finn's stormtrooper friend for some failure at the village the first order attacks in the beginning of the film? Revenge for his friend + Han seem good reason enough.
Yeah, his buddy dies. And the death of his friend is why he deserts the first order, that is good enough motivation. I do not buy the Finn as related to Lando. It's just a fake out to take the attention off of Rey.

Nah, his friend just dies in the firefight. Kylo doesn't kill him. I'm pretty sure that's how it plays out.

And it'd be easier to write off the Lando's kid possibilities as Marketing switcheroo if it wasn't for the fact that Lando's kid was a part of development for quite awhile. Plus I believe there were reports that Finn Calrissian was actually used on-set as his characters name. I'd have to look around for those, though.

It's Kylo's mission though still.

Yeah, but Kylo doesn't kill his own troopers. He doesn't even kill Finn, and he KNOWS Finn completely chumped, even worse than his friend did. I believe he sees Finn just let villagers go.

I don't think Kylo kills Finn's friend. Finn's friend just dies. That plus watching Kylo order the massacre of an entire village, including the Vicar, causes him to radically reassess his joining up with the First Order.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, but Kylo doesn't kill his own troopers. He doesn't even kill Finn, and he KNOWS Finn completely chumped, even worse than his friend did. I believe he sees Finn just let villagers go.

I don't think Kylo kills Finn's friend. Finn's friend just dies. That plus watching Kylo order the massacre of an entire village, including the Vicar, causes him to radically reassess his joining up with the First Order.
I think all of that + Han's death is more than enough reason to want to take Kylo Ren on at the end without being Lando's kid. I am pretty certain the Finn last name thing is just to steer focus away from focusing on Rey's, it's just a fake-out like the saber media.

Have there been any rumors about Lando returning in VIII beyond Billy Dee Williams speculating about it?

Because if he is dead, that could definitely explain a lot of Finn's actions. No father, no direct involvement with the good guys to start with. He is on his own, signs up with the bad guys, comes around to the good side when he realized he made a huge mistake ("I did not sign up for this"). Meets an old friend of his father, and is quickly integrated into the group. Finn works through daddy issues, Han works through kid issues (thinks his kid is dead and/or finds out he is bad) and they bond. Finn loses an important connection to his past, and pursues Kylo. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Cheebo

Banned
Though going small universe IS very Star Warsy. This is the franchise where Anakin built Threepio and Artoo was at his side for years and both ended up with with the right Jawas to find Luke at the exact right moment and form a personal bond with just like his dad. Even ignoring the prequels, the fact Leias droids of an entire planet of people end up with her brother is just as small of a universe. And whenever anyone only has "they are in so and so system" they always happen to stumble upon who they want to find exactly where they land on an entire planet without knowing where they are.

I think all of that + Han's death is more than enough reason to want to take Kylo Ren on at the end without being Lando's kid.

Yeah, but I'm not saying the WHOLE reason Finn would want to take on is because he's Lando's kid (Possibly) just that it might add a little extra motivation. Not a lot of it. But just enough to make it feel a little more impactful. If he's Lando's kid. Which might have been an aspect that ultimately didn't survive development.

And I don't think Finn holding the saber is really a "fakeout." No, he's not going to keep hanging onto it by the end of the movie. But it also doesn't mean he'll never get another one to use. There's something to be said for the fact he wants it, I think. Rey doesn't like it, and doesn't want it. But Finn is all about it. And if the Force is Awakening, I gotta imagine it'll be awakening in him, too.

edit: The Lando rumor I've heard most recently didn't come from Billy Dee, I don't think.

prag16

Banned
I'd be okay with Finn Calrissian if done well.

After all, Peter Griffin as Han Solo DID say that Lando may possibly be the only black man in the galaxy.

Cheebo

Banned
I'd be okay with Finn Calrissian if done well.

After all, Peter Griffin as Han Solo DID say that Lando may possibly be the only black man in the galaxy.
Windu_Angry.jpg

Joe2494

Neo Member
If this is really it, I'm happy about that short runtime. I don't want some 3 minute trailer. Keep it short and sweet.

If this is really it, I'm happy about that short runtime. I don't want some 3 minute trailer. Keep it short and sweet.

Can't wait to hear what everyone sounds like. Even though there was a leaked clip from on the set with John Boyega and Daisey speaking in their native accents, that doesn't mean they won't be dubbed.

MattyG

Banned
He died so by the point Lando was around, there was only one left.
Well comic spoilers
Sana Solo
is also black. I find it hard to believe there's only 2 black people in a galaxy of trillions, and I'm almost positive that Finn isn't Lando's son (though there may be a rumor regarding it that I haven't seen yet). It'd be kind of dumb if he was actually.

These guys are saying it's the previous released teaser and mistake with the listing being removed tomorrow?

Here's why I don't like StarWars7News. Because when they say they got "confirmation" they don't say from WHO. They just say they got "confirmation."

edit: Also, the time listed for this trailer is different from the other two, so even the part of the story where they say it's the same trailer (which one?) we've already seen might not be right, as the runtimes don't match up.

Slayven

I just going to write my own fanfiction, were spiderman becomes a jedi and saves the day. Fanfics never disappoint anyonre

sphagnum

Banned
I'd like to note that Finn was originally conceived as a white character going by the concept art, so I don't think J. J. really realized how much he was going to disappoint a black audience by not having Finn turn out to be the Jedi. I don't know if it's a white person blindspot to not think about that or if he just didn't want to rewrite everything once they decided to cast Boyega, but I don't think it's intentional to have the black character be secondary to the white character in this instance.

I'd like to note that Finn was originally conceived as a white character going by the concept art, so I don't think J. J. really realized how much he was going to disappoint a black audience by not having Finn turn out to be the Jedi. I don't know if it's a white person blindspot to not think about that or if he just didn't want to rewrite everything once they decided to cast Boyega, but I don't think it's intentional to have the black character be secondary to the white character in this instance.

This is actually right. The Finn character was originally white but Boyega supposedly killed it during the audition.

Top Bottom