• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

They are either *really* trying to trick people into thinking that Finn is a Jedi...or he is one.

I mean, the trailer : "It's true, the Dark Side, The Jedi (Cut to Finn)"

Fuuuuuck!

lovely lookin/sounding stuff, but you can definitely tell its a trailer by a dude who didn't even want to make one. Joe Average still doesn't know what the fuck this movie is about.

inm8num2

Reading through the trailer thread seeing people make all these wrong guesses is so amusing.

Hopefully people resist the urge to correct them on what is true/untrue in their speculation. That never goes well, regardless of putting things in spoiler tags.

Let the unsullied remain as such!

After that trailer, I'm tempted to lean back towards Rey being a Solo. The use of the Romance theme, the emotional hug between Han and a distraught Leia, Rey crying over Han's dead body... I dunno.

We'll see, I guess. I think it makes more sense thematically for Rey Skywalker (biologically or adopted), but then I don't know what the actual context of the film is yet. Could go in any direction at this point.

Hopefully people resist the urge to correct them on what is true/untrue in their speculation. That never goes well, regardless of putting things in spoiler tags.

Let the unsullied remain as such!
Hey I saw your post just now! ;) I assume it was an accident, lol.

And yeah, couldn't agree more. No need to judge, correct, or wink wink people not in the know. Just let them enjoy the ride.

inm8num2

Hey I saw your post just now! ;) I assume it was an accident, lol.

And yeah, couldn't agree more. No need to judge, correct, or wink wink people not in the know. Just let them enjoy the ride.

Yea, I got the tabs between this thread and the trailer one mixed up. :(

I immediately edited my post. Hopefully not many people saw it. I'd feel horrible for spoiling anyone and even worse for being a hypocrite!

(I had grabbed Dennis' pic of Han and Leia hugging and said, "Their last moment together?")

People grasping at any and every straw to give Luke a significant role in this movie is hilarious though.

The idea that he fell to the Dark Side and became Kylo Ren is particularly amusing.

ryan299

People grasping at any and every straw to give Luke a significant role in this movie is hilarious though.

The idea that he fell to the Dark Side and became Kylo Ren is particularly amusing.

Not really though. There's a ton of people who just want to see the original cast together and Luke is being hidden from them. There's going to be a lot of people who hate this movie over Luke's absence.

harSon

Banned
Why can't Finn be the everyman? People complained that the prequels lacked one and so far it seems like TFA builds him up to be that.

If he really does end up defecting blaster bolts with the lightsaber then I don't see how he can't be Force sensitive, but so far he's just the guy through whom we're reintroduced to the GFFA.

My boy Finn is going to be the Rock Lee of Star Wars. Dude's going to become a master lightsaber duelist through sheer hard word to overcome his lack of force sensitivity.

inm8num2

and now

we wait

tumblr_inline_nr8it103Wi1qa7sro_540.jpg

Cth

Oh gee I wonder what's going on there...

I wonder if that's the shot that caused the whole speculation about Luke being the bad guy.

Remember that rumor about the cyborg and she delivers the saber only to see Luke as the bad guy and is in tears?

I know that's not true anymore, but I wonder if the source of that rumor saw this pic and tried to make the connection.

bachikarn

So it seemed like earlier today the idea was that Rey was being trained by Luke to be a jedi, but in the trailer it implies that she just thought the Jedi and Sith were myths. Think this is a red herring/memory loss thing, or were those rumors wrong?

FWIW, when it comes to JJ movie trailers, I still think I prefer this ST2009 trailer.

Doesn't mean anything in regards to how the movie will turn out of course, and I realize they were (likely) edited by different people. It's just a comparison I've been wanting to make for some time....:) I love trailers.

After that trailer, I'm tempted to lean back towards Rey being a Solo. The use of the Romance theme, the emotional hug between Han and a distraught Leia, Rey crying over Han's dead body... I dunno.

We'll see, I guess. I think it makes more sense thematically for Rey Skywalker (biologically or adopted), but then I don't know what the actual context of the film is yet. Could go in any direction at this point.

The spoilers suggest that they share some quality moments before his death.

One of them in particular pointed out how touched she was when he (And others) came back for her when she was abandoned on the..I think snow planet.

While her being so distraught could mean a family connection, I feel like it could also just be...the fact that they grew closer to one another throughout the film.

Can't wait to find out.

So it seemed like earlier today the idea was that Rey was being trained by Luke to be a jedi, but in the trailer it implies that she just thought the Jedi and Sith were myths. Think this is a red herring/memory loss thing, or were those rumors wrong?

You're right, there does seem to be some ambiguity left to work out.

It could also be that...just because she's knows about the force, she might not necessarily know about these ancient orders and all of the responsibilities they had. Maybe those are just "ancient religions" to her (Of course, if she had some training under Luke, you'd think she would know at least some of the history, which was your original point I guess).

Could also just be a misleading edit. Maybe Han's explaining that stuff to Finn.

Ogimachi

Some nice foreshadowing.

Kylo swinging lightsaber
Rey crying over Han's body
Han frightened

Not really subtle once you know what happens, but I think people will appreciate it in hindsight.

JDMC13

So rampant speculation:

Mild Luke Speculation:
After "Return", Luke leaves in search of other Force sensitive people to rebuild the Jedi Order. He has been missing for all these years because he hasn't found any new Force sensitive people. The Emperor either killed of the bloodlines or the Force just sat out a generation after the Clone Wars.

Medium Kylo Speculation:
Kylo Ren is the son of Leia and Han. Kylo is upset that despite being a Skywalker, he is not Force sensitive. Kylo Ren has heard from his uncle or some other source that the Dark Side of the Force is stronger than the Light Side. Thus, he decides to follow his grandfather's footsteps. If he isn't Force sensitive enough to be a Jedi, maybe he's Force sensitive enough to be a Sith.

Heavy Finn and Rey Speculation:
Neither Finn nor Rey are Skywalkers or Solos. One or both of them is Force sensitive. That's what makes them important.

Double Overtime Ending Speculation:
Finn and Kylo fight. Kylo gets upper-hand. Rey Force Pushes Kylo away to save Finn. Continue movie until credits. Cut to Korriban, sweep through the halls of the Sith Academy to the outside by a lava pit. A figure cloaked in black is sitting there, but then R2-D2 rolls into the frame. A robotic hand sticks out to R2-D2. Figure stands up, it's Luke in full Jedi regalia. Luke had gone to Korriban to study the Force as it was the foremost place of Force knowledge with the destruction of the Jedi Temple on Courscant, but Luke now senses something in the force. Not a disturbance, but an awakening. The Force has returned.

Just want to add these are based on nothing but blind guesses on my part.

CronoShot

You're right, there does seem to be some ambiguity left to work out.

It could also be that...just because she's knows about the force, she might not necessarily know about these ancient orders and all of the responsibilities they had. Maybe those are just "ancient religions" to her (Of course, if she had some training under Luke, you'd think she would know at least some of the history, which was your original point I guess).

Could also just be a misleading edit. Maybe Han's explaining that stuff to Finn.

Maybe Rey was told by Luke to stay in hiding, and don't let anyone know she's a Jedi (or training to be one)?

Hence the "I'm no one" at the beginning. Keeping a low profile.

inm8num2

I think it was just a fun theory to entertain while we waited. The way the trailer sets up her story arc wouldn't seem to work if Rey had any history w/ Luke, the force, training, etc.

It seems like Han's talking to them both (e.g. the hologram in each shot). Plus, Luke not having been seen in 30 years fits with Rey and Finn not really knowing about him or the Jedi.

guys

what if

i'm just sayin tho cuz I watched this trailer like 12 times

what if
this is the fury road to ESB's Road Warrior

I'm sayin tho

Hystzen

So that Scene of Ren in the Rain with other Knights is that going be them attacking Lukes temple or was that rumor of a temple false.

Got feeling it could be ending of film now knights of Ren have located Luke and prepare to attack him

Hystzen

What if Han doesn't die but badly wounded like so bad he will never fight again but could be a smart ass general.

let me have some hope dammit

Top Bottom