• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

sphagnum

Banned
I agree with this post from Something Awful.

The prequels are Vader. There is good in them, and Obi-Wan (popular consensus) was wrong about the whole "more machine than man" (excessive use of CGI) and "twisted and evil" parts. And lies to itself about the "betrayed and murdered" part, too.

liquidtmd

Banned
I agree with this post from Something Awful.

The prequels main folly wasn't the excessive CGI, nor Jar Jar, nor starting with Jake Lloyd. Its problem was pretty much every character was unlikeable or dull or had no element of truth about them.

Actually scrub that, The Emperor was entertaining. But anyone else? Obi-Wan was a pompous ass up untill the end of ROTS. Yoda was a parody. Anakin was a brat. Padme was a stuck up self absorbed cow. Sam Jackson was chained to pimping the god damn stupid Jedi Council. And Dooku / Grievious' motivations were so convoluted it was ridiculous. They just werent fun to watch and that made the audiences unable to look past the visual choices / digitial sterile look

sphagnum

Banned
I don't really see why characters need to be "likeable" to be interesting, but I found Obi-Wan very likeable regardless. I don't see how Anakin is a "brat" - everything he does is logical for his character, even if you don't like it. I think his romance with Padme is badly written and Lucas doesn't direct Christensen that well a lot of the time, but as a character he's fine. Padme being a "stuck up self absorbed cow"...what? What does that even mean? edit: Also, I appreciate prequel Yoda for being completely wrong. Gives more weight to his character in the OT. He's not the perfect sage that everyone assumed he was - none of them were, or else they wouldn't have fallen. The Jedi being not only wrong but bad in the prequels is one of the best things about the trilogy.

Dooku and Grievous' motivations aren't "convoluted" at all. Did we watch the same movies?

Liamario

Banned
I think the info that's out there is a combination of 3 things-

Purposefully released
  • false info.
  • Info from old scripts.
  • Actual accurate information.

Of course at this stage, there is no way of knowing which is which unless we can get some confirmation with pics from the sets etc...

I don't really see why characters need to be "likeable" to be interesting, but I found Obi-Wan very likeable regardless. I don't see how Anakin is a "brat" - everything he does is logical for his character, even if you don't like it. I think his romance with Padme is badly written and Lucas doesn't direct Christensen that well a lot of the time, but as a character he's fine. Padme being a "stuck up self absorbed cow"...what? What does that even mean? edit: Also, I appreciate prequel Yoda for being completely wrong. Gives more weight to his character in the OT. He's not the perfect sage that everyone assumed he was - none of them were, or else they wouldn't have fallen. The Jedi being not only wrong but bad in the prequels is one of the best things about the trilogy.

Dooku and Grievous' motivations aren't "convoluted" at all. Did we watch the same movies?

This is all reasonable. However I would interpret the 'likeability' thing to the sense of chemistry we had in the OT between a ragtag gang of misfits and outlaws. The team itself was a likeable unit, they were 'our guys' and we felt a strong connection to them all. In many ways they were based on archetypes, and socially we're geared to root for rebel underdogs. The PT wasn't able to capitalise on any of this.

I only disliked Obi-Wan in PM, I actually really liked him otherwise .

Agree with you on all these points.

sphagnum

Banned
This is all reasonable. However I would interpret the 'likeability' thing to the sense of chemistry we had in the OT between a ragtag gang of misfits and outlaws. The team itself was a likeable unit, they were 'our guys' and we felt a strong connection to them all. In many ways they were based on archetypes, and socially we're geared to root for rebel underdogs. The PT wasn't able to capitalise on any of this.

And it's fine that it didn't. The PT isn't about ragtag underdog heroes, it's about upper class aristocrats and warriors. They were portrayed correctly in that regard.

sphagnum

Banned
Anakin Skywalker being an emotionally stunted, sexually repressed ex-slave who is passionate about doing the right thing, whatever that is and whatever it takes, who is arrogant due to his peers all telling him he's destined to be the galaxy's savior, and is deeply afraid of loss due to his emotional attachment to his mother, leading to him becoming a violent psychopathic fascist due to his need to control and protect everything - from the political system and its leader who he believes in to his wife who he is obsessive about - is a much more interesting, flawed, and nuanced character than people will give credit for because "lol sand, lol he's whiny".

Honestly sometimes I feel like people wanted him to be Galen Marek or something. I'm glad Lucas had his own ideas even if he doesn't express them well enough.

Rootbeer

Banned
Maaaaybe... I get the sense that what he is saying there is that in the event that one of frank's characters are needed he would most definitely be approached if Rian has anything to say about it. Not necessarily that Yoda will return.

*edit* Disney does not own Henson only the Muppets my bad (Disney almost bought them though on multiple occasions) *end edit*

Now that Disney owns both Henson as well as Star Wars it really should be the perfect working conditions to get some really kick-ass advanced puppets in these films so I am really hoping it turns out that way. And I do think they could make a satisfying Yoda puppet today under the right direction... I think the problem with Episode I's puppet was George not knowing how to instruct people on just what was needed out of a "slightly younger" Yoda. They went way too far with it and it ended up barely looking like the Yoda we knew.

I'm all for more Yoda though. in fact I am hoping we see a Yoda solo film someday, and we probably will as this may prove too tempting for them to delve into. Yoda has such a HUGE unknown history, not to mention the mystery surrounding his species of which not much is known.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yoda's background should stay mysterious, not everything needs to be explained.

Like the Whills.

It's inevitable, sorry! Everyone thought Wolverine's origin would stay a mystery too. Eventually the story will be told, especially now that Disney is going to extract as much mileage as they can out of everything until the end of time. :D

Come on... Yoda, sadly, died. They can't do much with him anymore. Maybe a force ghost or two. That's it. The only way they can continue to use this very popular character is to tell older stories. And he has a LOT to tell.

Liamario

Banned
I'm not too concerned about the spin offs. As long as they get the main story back on track, the spin offs will just be a bonus. This creates another question. What happens after episodes 7,8 & 9?

Rootbeer

Banned
10, 11, 12 right? If they are doing this right they are setting up the SW universe for a ton of storylines to unfold down the road.

Just please... no remakes. We don't need remakes or reboots in Star Wars. Unless they want to remake the prequels then maybe we can have a dialog about that.

I agree what really matters is 7, 8 and 9, but since they seem to have multiple concurrent teams working on these various films I'm trying to think about it on the same terms they are, and not focus entirely on the mainline since they are not the whole picture. It's like Marvel, really... I'm sure everyone wants the Avengers films to be the tentpoles but that doesn't even necessarily mean they will be the best films or the most beloved by fans.

Liamario

Banned
10, 11, 12 right? If they are doing this right they are setting up the SW universe for a ton of storylines to unfold down the road.

Just please... no remakes. We don't need remakes or reboots in Star Wars. Unless they want to remake the prequels then maybe we can have a dialog about that.

I agree what really matters is 7, 8 and 9, but since they seem to have multiple concurrent teams working on these various films I'm trying to think about it on the same terms they are, and not focus entirely on the mainline since they are not the whole picture. It's like Marvel, really... I'm sure everyone wants the Avengers films to be the tentpoles but that doesn't even necessarily mean they will be the best films or the most beloved by fans.

Obviously the avengers movies is where the budget goes, but I actually look forward to the individual character movies just as much, if not more. Avengers for me satisfies a different itch.
I just hope the Star Wars spin offs don't dilute the main story line. The spin offs should be smaller movies, in order to keep focus on the episodes.

Tookay

I wouldn't be surprised if Thrawn gets mentioned. It's inevitable that there will be a cartoon that takes place after Return of the Jedi dealing with the 30 year gap. The writers aren't just going to make stuff up wholesale for the entire time when they can take what they like from the old EU.

Thrawn is a popular character. He'll become canon.
Can't have a Thrawn adaptation if Luke is captured by the bad guys for 30 years.

...which is a good reason to think that those rumors are bullshit.

Faiz

Can't have a Thrawn adaptation if Luke is captured by the bad guys for 30 years.

Having a character present is terribly different from adapting the story in which he was featured.

Rootbeer

Banned

Most information that supports that story detail indicates it's more like 10 years not 30... If they are going this route I hope it is more like 10, this gives Luke 20 years to do lots of other stuff which can be explored in novels and the like in the future. Having him locked up the entire time is such a HUGE waste of his character.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
i give my sword. ROTS was phenomenal
Hell yeah it was.

On an unrelated note, we better see some lightsabers that aren't green, blue, or red in at least one of these three movies.

Aiii

So not worth it
i give my sword. ROTS was phenomenal

Aye, I remember coming out of the theatre with my mate and both of us marvelling over how great it was. I dunno, there are some flaws like every movie, but the transformation from Anakin to Vader and the showdown between Yoda and The Emperor was really satisfying to me.

Hell yeah it was.

On an unrelated note, we better see some lightsabers that aren't green, blue, or red in at least one of these three movies.

Purple, they had purple!

But yeah, more colors! I'd totally rock an Orange lightsaber if I were a Jedi.
Who am I kidding? I would turn to the Dark Side within seconds after discovering my powers.

Rootbeer

Banned
i'm down for more colors but I don't know, just as all gems do not come in all colors nor do lightsaber crystals. Fully expecting someone to be rocking multi-colored candy cane lightsabers someday at this rate. At last Lucas showed restraint with things like that, when he could have went all out and had a literal rainbow of colors instead of just a few core colors.

same goes for lightsaber builds. when darth maul rocked the double-bladed lightsaber for the first time on screen, that was pretty awesome. now we have things like ezra's lightsaber which has a blaster build-in. I'm okay with that, but they need to be careful that they don't stray too far from the concept and intention of a lightsaber or it's going to get ridiculous.

Faiz

same goes for lightsaber builds. when darth maul rocked the double-bladed lightsaber for the first time on screen, that was pretty awesome. now we have things like ezra's lightsaber which has a blaster build-in. I'm okay with that, but they need to be careful that they don't stray too far from the concept and intention of a lightsaber or it's going to get ridiculous.

I agree in principle but I worry it's too late when we have things like:

The guard shoto "lightsaber tonfa".
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Guard_shoto

And Lightwhips
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

The whips been around since Lumiya showed up in the Marvel comics in the 80's. (Edit: to be technically accurate, it's been around since she used it; which is different from "when she showed up").

Liamario

Banned
Aye, I remember coming out of the theatre with my mate and both of us marvelling over how great it was. I dunno, there are some flaws like every movie, but the transformation from Anakin to Vader and the showdown between Yoda and The Emperor was really satisfying to me.

But you can't choose to ignore the rest of the movie because you liked a couple of aspects of it. The movie suffered the same issue as the other prequels- bad script, bad acting and over reliance on cgi.

Aiii

So not worth it
But you can't choose to ignore the rest of the movie because you liked a couple of aspects of it. The movie suffered the same issue as the other prequels- bad script, bad acting and over reliance on cgi.

Yes you can actually, there's a whole world between "THIS WAS THE BEST THING EVER" and "THIS WAS DOGSHIT".

The movie was fun, enjoyable and satisfied my expectations going in about seeing Anakin's transformation into Vader.

Peru

Episode 3 is actually worse than TPM. Absolute dogshit, with the most contrived 'dark' and 'mature' themes in a last ditch effort to meet critics of the first two, the result being even more awkward and stiff and cheesy. Disaster.

I'm not too concerned about the spin offs. As long as they get the main story back on track, the spin offs will just be a bonus. This creates another question. What happens after episodes 7,8 & 9?

Reboot.

However, it'll probably happen around the 50th/60th anniversary, and not immediately after Episode 9.

But Disney's going to reboot this thing at some point. The whole damn thing.

(obligatory comment from me on how Episode III is actually a better movie than Jedi, while clarifying that both movies are more or less teetering on the line between "okay" and "mediocre")

Raptor

Reboot.

However, it'll probably happen around the 50th/60th anniversary, and not immediately after Episode 9.

But Disney's going to reboot this thing at some point. The whole damn thing.

(obligatory comment from me on how Episode III is actually a better movie than Jedi, while clarifying that both movies are more or less teetering on the line between "okay" and "mediocre")

I even like it more than all the saga movies on a prettyness level, like it has the more varying of color grading of all the movies, also has the more mature CGI that no longer looks like early 00s CGI crap, and overall more fantastical of them all with creature riding, General Grievous, Obi and Yoda killing troopers together sequence, Yoda vs Sidious last battle in the senate dome or whatever it was with acompanying music was fucking glorious IMO.

My fav for sure, but because I never really thought of them as masterpieces of story telling or anything like that, when I started seeing them I was only a kid and I liked them because of the fantastic things that happened in them, the monsters, the Jedi, the spaceships, and Sith has all of that in spades.

Liamario

Banned
Yes you can actually, there's a whole world between "THIS WAS THE BEST THING EVER" and "THIS WAS DOGSHIT".

The movie was fun, enjoyable and satisfied my expectations going in about seeing Anakin's transformation into Vader.
But if you were to recommend it to someone, you can't just talk about those two scenes, ignore everything else and say the movie was awesome. The movie as a whole is very poor, with a couple of good scenes.

sphagnum

Banned
But if you were to recommend it to someone, you can't just talk about those two scenes, ignore everything else and say the movie was awesome. The movie as a whole is very poor, with a couple of good scenes.

I'd say it's the opposite, very good with a few awkward choices. I've recommended Episode III to people many times and just told them "There's some things here and there that feel a little off but overall it's pretty good." No complaints so far.

Tedesco!

Episode 3 is actually worse than TPM. Absolute dogshit, with the most contrived 'dark' and 'mature' themes in a last ditch effort to meet critics of the first two, the result being even more awkward and stiff and cheesy. Disaster.

I agree. TPM is probably the best of the prequels...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Yoda vs Sidious was tops, although these damn Sith are waay too overpowered, he just kept throwing these Senate seats him like they were nothing. Still, the highlight of the prequels for me, and one of the best moments in the saga. ROTS is so full of awesome moments

Atruvius

Yoda vs Sidious was tops, although these damn Sith are waay too overpowered, he just kept throwing these Senate seats him like they were nothing. Still, the highlight of the prequels for me, and one of the best moments in the saga

Yoda fights were ruined to me in theaters because almost everyone laughed at him. How dare those people laugh at Yoda!

Yoda fights were ruined to me in theaters because almost everyone laughed at him. How dare those people laugh at Yoda!

People were breaking out in laughter at the midnight screening of Attack of the Clones I went to, but it wasn't derisive laughter, it was more like "HOLY SHIT I WAS NOT READY" kind of laughter.

I'm trying to think of a situation that's comparable and it's like - you know those reaction videos of NBA stars on the sidelines at a Slam Dunk contest? That's how people were laughing in that theater.

Top Bottom