• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Guy.brush

After Kirk being dead for a full 5 minutes before he got revived in INTO DARKNESS, I bet JJ would not have real Luke
changed into a cyborg.
If the latest "I am your father"- level Luke rumor is true, it could go like this:
-Episode VII: Global fanboy meltdown over Luke suddenly being an evil machine
-Episode VIII: reveals that the "Luke" cyborg is not actually Luke but a twisted experiment. A clone. Behind it is a secret sect. Sydow's broken old cyborg enhanced character is part of it.
-Episode IX: The powers that created clone cyborg Luke are ready for a clone of Emperor Palpatine to return

Valravn

After Kirk being dead for a full 5 minutes before he got revived in INTO DARKNESS, I bet JJ would not have real Luke
changed into a cyborg.
If the latest "I am your father"- level Luke rumor is true, it could go like this:
-Episode VII: Global fanboy meltdown over Luke suddenly being an evil machine
-Episode VIII: reveals that the "Luke" cyborg is not actually Luke but a twisted experiment. A clone. Behind it is a secret sect. Sydow's broken old cyborg enhanced character is part of it.
-Episode IX: The powers that created clone cyborg Luke are ready for a clone of Emperor Palpatine to return

But
trololol he was a clone
is such a weak plot device. Im taking this rumor with sacks of salts. Also, i doesn't seem very Disney.

Vanpastel

If Episode VII is not a JarJar biopic I'll be sorely dissappointed. Also, I really hope the lastest rumors are not true since I'm not liking where this seems to be going.

womp

The theories about "No, there is another..." Must have been amazing.

Oh they were...the amount of schoolyard discussion that week Empire premiered was legendary. Quite a few of us guessed correctly too....many just figured it was to be a new surprise character held to be shown during Jedi though.

inm8num2

I love RotJ. I really do. But that line setup for such a better conclusion than what we got.

Yea, it would have been better to not make Luke and Leia twins. The other Yoda mentioned could have been more of a Mara Jade type character. Hell, maybe she could have been Luke's long lost twin.

OnPoint

Yea, it would have been better to not make Luke and Leia twins. The other Yoda mentioned could have been more of a Mara Jade type character. Hell, maybe she could have been Luke's long lost twin.

That could have worked.

I personally would have liked if Luke had turned to the dark side, and Leia then had to train to take him on. It would have been pretty darn awesome to have a duel for the fate of the galaxy take place between twins. Not sure if Luke would be under Vader or Palpatine. Probably he'd be flying solo. But that's my dream scenario.

Cheebo

Banned
This looks legit. Would this prove or disprove that plot twist rumor from yesterday? Seems like it would disprove it.

The images are not legit and have been debunked. The Luke-gone-bad rumor has been backed up by basically every website under the sun. Not to mention the logo on dailies is Lucasfilm NOT Walt Disney. That gives it away easily.

There is zero chance that rumor from yesterday is true.
It would fucking neuter the ending of the OT and really destroy Luke's character.

A MASSIVE amount of film reporters online who have reported stuff have backed up the rumor from yesterday. From the Star Wars blogosphere to mainstream movie sites like BadAssDigest and SlashFilm. At this point it makes no sense to be in denial about it anymore.

The images are not legit and have been debunked. The Luke-gone-bad rumor has been backed up by basically every website under the sun. Not to mention the logo on dailies is Lucasfilm NOT Walt Disney. That gives it away easily.

A MASSIVE amount of film reporters online who have reported stuff have backed up the rumor from yesterday. From the Star Wars blogosphere to mainstream movie sites like BadAssDigest and SlashFilm. At this point it makes no sense to be in denial about it anymore.

well fuck this movie then.

I think they are leaking shit on purpose tbh.

Daft_Cat

There is zero chance that rumor from yesterday is true.
It would fucking neuter the ending of the OT and really destroy Luke's character.

No it doesn't. You're jumping to conclusions. No one knows anything about the story being told here. Especially thematically. That's why these kinds of leaks are beyond fucking stupid.

Obviously the story of the sequel trilogy won't suddenly "end" with this twist. A charitable read on the situation is that the filmmakers, who are highly sought after professionals being paid millions of dollars, are aware of how Episode 7 builds on what came before it and how it will impact what comes after. They must have a clear theme in mind, and an end goal. That doesn't mean they'll succeed, but prima facie, this development doesn't ruin anything.

If anything, the sheer boldness of it peaks my interest. I hope they have something compelling in mind.

The logos on the dailies say "Walt Disney", and as someone who's been in an editing suite on a Disney project (internship)... I can tell you with certainty that the watermark and general format of the dailies seems to be correct.

I don't think they're fake. I just think the situation is more complex than is being reported (obviously).

If yesterday's rumour is true, I astounded at how terribly Abrams has fucked up. Seriously, there is putting your mark on a trilogy - trying to surprise the audience and shitting on a legacy.

He had one job.

Liamario

Banned
If yesterday's rumour is true, I astounded at how terribly Abrams has fucked up. Seriously, there is putting your mark on a trilogy - trying to surprise the audience and shitting on a legacy.

He had on job.

You're reaction, even though you've acknowledged that it may be a rumour, comes across as a reaction to a fact.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have the strangest feeling that we're going to see a bearded, aged Temuera Morrison begrudgingly team up with Harrison Ford in episode VIII. Don't ask me why.

Well, clearly Max's old cyborg character is grizzled Boba Fett after his Sarlacc escape, so it would be him.

This is star wars tho...the entire plot is centered around clones

lolno. Only two of the 6 films even contain clones

inm8num2

Luke being tempted by the dark side was fun to explore in the EU because, well, we all craved more stories in the SW universe, especially about what happened post-RotJ. I enjoyed stories like Dark Empire, but when I think about it Luke more or less emerged from RotJ as a nearly incorruptible force for good. He saves his father and resists the Emperor's temptations. I won't write off the rumors, but my knee jerk reaction is that going "bad" is not in Luke's character.

I wonder if the cyborg Luke is a clone made by the villains, who have kept Luke imprisoned as we've previously read and used his blood/DNA/midichlorians/whatever to create their legion of the characters once rumored to be called "Inquisitors".

Supposed screenshot pulled from youtube:

http://geektyrant.com/news/star-war...irst-footage-images-and-cantina-scene-details

The tag
Luke's Refuge
and the location in Ireland...

That shit is faked. Or rather, it's just some fans taking footage and trying to gin it up to look like it leaked from Lucasfilm :)

Now, here's a fun video to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W7paueNuEc

An episode of Dinner for Five from 2005, hosted by Kevin Smith, featuring JJ Abrams and Mark Hamill as guests.

I really hope they give some gungans a cameo in this movie. Maybe even Jar Jar. Not enough of a presence to damage the film, but just enough to make people angry. If Vader shows up in a flashback without a mask it needs to be Hayden Christensen with makeup.

It's like you plunged a knife into my side, twisted it a little, paused, then twisted it some more. That was this post.

Luke is going balls deep undercover friends.

This is the only reason it could make sense.

That shit is faked. Or rather, it's just some fans taking footage and trying to gin it up to look like it leaked from Lucasfilm :)

An episode of Dinner for Five from 2005, hosted by Kevin Smith, featuring JJ Abrams and Mark Hamill as guests.

Luke is going to kill Han isn't he?

Daft_Cat

What do people figure this movie should be? A giant happy reunion?

You know how you top Darth Vader? Make Luke the fucking bad guy
. Maybe there will be more than meets the eye in the end, but come up with an interesting concept that makes sense and builds on past themes and then leave fans sitting there dumbfounded over what's coming next. Just like they did in 1980. At first glance... the spoiler is controversial, striking, and makes me genuinely curious as to where they're going with this.

Sounds better to me than having a great old OT reunion where the writers wink and nod while they scramble to put together a plot that comes close to matching the emotional weight of Episodes 4-6. So many people bitch about Jedi wrapping things up too neatly, and yet here we have an example of people posting things like "fuck this movie" over a pretty bold and risky move. "But what about the ewok song and my childhood =(". Please.

Honestly, it sounds like some of the "fans" are deathly afraid of change. In before the "it's not change, though. It's shit, and the world is ending" replies. Those kinds of fan reactions (before people have even seen the film) are quite honestly the reason why we can't have nice things.

Also, fuck whoever leaked this.

I've seen that before. I can see where he was coming from as a young actor wanting to do something new. Maybe seeds were planted there. I certainly hope not, though.

Ok. So we agree you're being unreasonable?

You can think that. My negative feelings to this possible plot point are very real. Unreasonable? I can't see how me not liking this idea is unreasonable. Aiming my displeasure at the director for this possible narrative slight is my glorious fanboy right.

MattyG

Banned
If this rumor is true, I'm a bit disappointed that I spoiled it for myself by reading it. There's no way I would've made it the next 14 months without hearing about it though. It was inevitable.

I remember the Star Trek 2009 teaser was cgi footage of workers building the enterprise with "coming in insert year here". I wonder if we will see something similar for star wars, a trailer that is pure tease and doesn't show actual footage from the movie.

Even though I liked the movie in 2009, the tone of that wonderful teaser was way better than the tone of the actual movie. That teaser had me expecting something way different than what we got.

The spoilers don't bother me too much. It sounds to me like they were pieced together through a series of images and leaks and rumors and don't spell out the whole story of the how and why, but general shades mixed with a handful of specific snapshots of what's to come. I mean, this is really just the first of a trilogy. I doubt it's gonna be completely front loaded with complete character arcs and twists, it is merely setup for what will be a decade of Star Wars everything. Sure, the spoilers could be very substantial, but I'm sure when the credits roll they will leave as many questions as answers, and that will be fun to experience.

Provided they pull it off, which I'm fairly optimistic will happen.

liquidtmd

Banned
You don't hear Abrams say a word throughout that entire monologue of Hamill's. He just soaks it in.

:)

He just tosses it out there, his wingman is ready to catch

tumblr_mdwb6tqveY1rzrnw5o2_500.gif

If this rumor is true, I'm a bit disappointed that I spoiled it for myself by reading it. There's no way I would've made it the next 14 months without hearing about it though. It was inevitable.

I agree I should have blacked out. How many fake rumors fly around and I happen to catch the only real one.

liquidtmd

Banned

Someone published it yesterday. I won't link to it, and I won't repeat it, but if you've already seen this rumor, know that I can back it up from my own sources as well. It's a bummer that it's out there, and I can't really understand why anyone would share it - yes, our job is to get interesting information out there, but it isn't to wholesale ruin the movie in advance.

So its not your job to 'wholesale ruin the movie', but you publish an article specifically about this giving validation and credibility to a rumour in a sea of rumours.

Fucking idiot.

Well, he does admit at the bottom that writing about Star Wars brings in the eyeballs, so it's probably a tough tightrope to walk to know a) Badass gets significant eyeballs for having gotten so many Star Wars stories broken (even though he never intended to be doing that) and b) he doesn't want to outright put those words on his own site.

So he has to talk about it without talking about it, because to not talk about it means he's letting down the readership who is coming to his site to hear him talk about it.

It's not the easiest dance to pull off.

liquidtmd

Banned
Well, he does admit at the bottom that writing about Star Wars brings in the eyeballs, so it's probably a tough tightrope to walk to know a) Badass gets significant eyeballs for having gotten so many Star Wars stories broken (even though he never intended to be doing that) and b) he doesn't want to outright put those words on his own site.

So he has to talk about it without talking about it, because to not talk about it means he's letting down the readership who is coming to his site to hear him talk about it.

It's not the easiest dance to pull off.

Aopreciate that.

It does smack a tad of the school mentality though - "Oooh TEACHER, he said THIS, I DIDNT SAY IT BUT THEY DID HEY EVERYONE LOOK WHAT THEY SAID".

He doesnt want to wholesale ruin the movie, but knows publishing any old Star Wars movie will bring in the clicks and ad revenue, so screw it. This is the fine divide all news genre sites are very close to the edge on in my eyes at this very moment. They want clicks. Fans want Star Wars news. Were guilty for clicking but dear god, the actual content of 90% of the articles (not referring to Badass solely here at all) is below zero. And long term I hope it damages their credibility.

In related news, bet you guys didn't know that Lucasfilm has its own Kevin Feige. And her name is Kiri Hart. And she's apparently the one in charge of developing and putting in motion new Star Wars projects.

This is the Wall Street Journal's feature on her.

Was sorta surprised that so many of these decisions aren't being originated with either Abrams, or Kinberg, or Kennedy. It really does seem as if Ms. Hart is deciding in what directions Star Wars gets to go.

Imagine if the OT was being released now. Having the 'I am your father' moment spoiled before getting chance to watch it would have been awful.

If this rumour is true, it is a bit disappointing it's been leaked. Guess that's the way it is these days. It's hard to wrap yourself in cotton wool to avoid hearing anything about a film.

RedSwirl

Rumors seem to confirm that Abrams is going full-on pander mode with this film. Wonder if we'll go to any new locations that haven't had all the wonder sucked out of them yet.

I was just thinking the same thing. Not just with Abrams, but with everything.

Is too much media connected to old franchises just built on pandering to nostalgia instead of taking people to new places? Maybe that's just another form of the reboot trend. I don't know. I guess what I'm asking is, where's the original stuff?

mjc

Little disappointed that I read those rumors if they turn out to be true, but like you guys are saying if they came out now...it'd be damn hard to dodge them for the next year or so. DAMN hard.

Top Bottom