• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Reddit almost instantly proved that guy a fraud yet sites keep spreading his stuff everywhere. Baffling

Nah, it's not that baffling. A lot more people visit reddit than visit star wars fansites and discussion forums. Something that bubbles up out of reddit is going to get more attention from people who want to believe. And Spoiler Man is being smart about it: Blend legitimate rumors with a gossipy narrative and bullshit speculation, and people will detect just enough truthiness mixed in with some easy baiting, and spread the shit like crazy.

The worst that happens when the guy gets caught? People grumble and forget about him once anything real comes out. That's it. There's almost literally no risk.

Cheebo

Banned
the fan stuff is always better than the offical

the official poster is going to suck
Since when have star wars posters sucked? The prequel posters were better than the movies deserved. Drew Struzan did amazing posters for all 6 movies.

Drew%2BStruzan%2B-%2BStar%2BWars%2BPosters.jpg

If any movie gets him to come out of retirement it is this. I am expecting Lucasfilm to get him to come back for the poster.

The fan stuff is often pretty shit.

Phil Noto's stuff was great though. If they don't get Struzan (they're gonna get Struzan) they should get him.

Cheebo

Banned
The fan stuff is often pretty shit.

Phil Noto's stuff was great though. If they don't get Struzan (they're gonna get Struzan) they should get him.
It's going to be Struzan. I will be shocked if he doesn't do it.

Struzans posters are so good he used a scene from Empire for his iconic Jedi poster and no one cares.

I didn't think Abrams wrote that.

Don't get me wrong, I am appalled at what they did to Star Trek. It isn't even Star Trek anymore. But Star Wars is a different animal. And all early indications are that they're not completely changing everything about the heart and soul of the franchise as was done to Star Trek.
I trust everything bad in the Star Trek movies to be credited to Orci and Kurtzman. People tend to shift the blame of the Transformers movies on Ehren Kruger, when Orci and Kurtzman are just as guilty(as well as what they did with Amazing Spider-Man 2). To think that Orci and Kurtzman's guiding the new Universal Movie Monsters cinematic universe(Super Hero Dracula, Iraq war Mummy) doesn't make me happy either.

Cheebo

Banned
I trust everything bad in the Star Trek movies to be credited to Orci and Kurtzman. People tend to shift the blame of the Transformers movies on Ehren Kruger, when Orci and Kurtzman are just as guilty(as well as what they did with Amazing Spider-Man 2). To think that Orci and Kurtzman's guiding the new Universal Movie Monsters cinematic universe(Super Hero Dracula, Iraq war Mummy) doesn't make me happy either.

Just be thankful Paramount kicked Orci off of the Star Trek franchise.

Lucas hasn't seen the trailer
George Lucas must live somewhere amid the icy, remote Hoth system, because that’s the only way he could have possibly managed to avoid the trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

"I don’t know anything about it," Lucas told the New York Post of the trailer, which has been viewed upwards of 100 million times and inspired a legion of parodies in two weeks’ time. “I haven’t seen it yet.”

The billionaire-franchise mastermind, who sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, is officially listed as a creative consultant on the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel, but evidently it’s a pretty loose title.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/george-lucas-hasnt-seen-star-wars-the-force-104670099797.html

Cheebo

Banned
He said he doesn't like seeing anything of movies till he sees it in the theater so he isn't watching and teaser/trailer till he goes to see the actual movie.

“I don’t know anything about it. I haven’t seen it yet,” he said. “Because it’s not in the movie theater. I like going to the movies and watching the whole thing there.

Jaeger

I just wanted to say that Vader clone is not "bad fan-fiction". It fits right in line with all the other EU/Legacy stuff. It just makes so much sense for the Empire to have done that. The most powerful/potential for power Force sensitive to have ever been, tragically lost when Vader went all coo-coo fighting Obi-Wan, losing/damaging most of his body and thus losing that midi-chlorian count. Making him anew would actually be the best thing, they could do. Make sure he is subservient for the Dark Side, and you are good to go.

However, I don't want that for this film. Great fun for EU material, though.

Moff

clones just suck

I think an army is possibly the most interesting thing to do with clones, but as soon as you are cloning individuals and they are either "revived" or even worse, exist at the same time as the original, cloning stories get dumb very fast and ruin everything

Jaeger

clones just suck

I think an army is possibly the most interesting thing to do with clones, but as soon as you are cloning individuals and they are either "revived" or even worse, exist at the same time as the original, cloning stories get dumb very fast and ruin everything

That's Star Wars, though. Jango was alive when the entire Clone Army existed. Palpatine cloned himself multiple times, and transferred his essence into each new body. Galen Marek, and his numerous clones. And so on, and so forth. Or are you having bad vibes from Marvel's Spider-Man clones? Because that's what it seems like.

Cheebo

Banned
That's Star Wars, though. Jango was alive when the entire Clone Army existed. Palpatine cloned himself multiple times, and transferred his essence into each new body. Galen Marek, and his numerous clones. And so on, and so forth. Or are you having bad vibes from Marvel's Spider-Man clones? Because that's what it seems like.

Most of what you listed is EU and EU is on the same level as fan fiction.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So in hype for this I went back and watched the trilogy again.

My new order for what I enjoy:

Empire Strikes Back - Beautifully shot, lovely to watch, great editing (though a bit poorly paced in the middle). The vader/luke fight is so perfectly executed it almost brings a tear to my eye. Why cant movies have this sort of hard hitting feel to them anymore? There is just something truly grounded in the scene that gives it weight and quality.

Return of the Jedi - AMAZING opening (minus the SE sing along crap) and a great ending (though again the middle stalls out horribly). Seriously the ending doesnt get enough love, the editing and music are insanely good.

(lots and lots and lots of space here)

A New Hope - Still fun, but my god its hard to enjoy the looooonnnnnngggggg shots. The shot of R2 leaving c3po after crash landing just sits there and holds for what feels like forever. The whole movie is this way except the ending. Every shot is like 5 seconds too long, just held there for no reason. I get this was a transitional movie and faster paced editing was still a few years away, but honestly the difference between Empire and this are sooo damn large. Empire just reeks of quality and high production. A New Hope feels like a student film in comparison.

What I will give it credit for though is feeling like a fresh universe. It really does feel like the "first look" into something major. Rough around the edges, poor acting everywhere (thats in all the films, but most apparent here) and just overall janky feel to it. It honestly feels like a film caught between the classical era of films and the new era, where as Empire and Jedi are firmly "modern" films. Things like the terribly shot grappling hook scene just scream "old hollywood adventure" and feel completely out of place in this new universe.

Also all the new additions to a New Hope detract from the film because of how blatantly obvious and poorly done they are. The dog fighting around the Death Star probably being the worst culprit as its so horribly obvious the new from the old, that it completely disconnects me from the actual (good) editing of the scene.

I'm very suprised about this order now as I use to be a Empire > New Hope > Jedi guy, but I just feel my taste changing with age.

Rootbeer

Banned
Since when have star wars posters sucked? The prequel posters were better than the movies deserved. Drew Struzan did amazing posters for all 6 movies.

If any movie gets him to come out of retirement it is this. I am expecting Lucasfilm to get him to come back for the poster.

A shame that Empire, despite being the best of the 6 films IMO, probably has the worst poster. :) Oh well, maybe that is indicative of something.

I really love those posters. Really looking forward to seeing how the Episode VII poster will match up, assuming they keep the same artist?

Jaeger

Most of what you listed is EU and EU is on the same level as fan fiction.

I don't have any control of that. But "bad fan-fiction" and the way it was mentioned in reply to what I said about a Vader clone implies it's something that just doesn't ever happen in SW. When example one I gave happens on screen in two films, and others prominently exist in the EU, and has for decades.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't have any control of that. But "bad fan-fiction" and the way it was mentioned in reply to what I said about a Vader clone implies it's something that just doesn't ever happen in SW. When example one I gave happens on screen in two films, and others prominently exist in the EU, and has for decades.
The only relevant one is Jango, the rest have no backing at all in Star Wars being EU.

And Jango was a very traditional sort of clone in that it was his cloned DNA from a baby on and a completely different person as they grew up. More like a scientifically created twin.

You don't clone Vader and get Vader. You clone Vader and get a baby with the same DNA as Anakin.

Jaeger

The only relevant one is Jango, the rest have no backing at all in Star Wars being EU.

And Jango was a very traditional sort of clone in that it was his cloned DNA from a baby on and a completely different person as they grew up. More like a scientifically created twin.

You don't clone Vader and get Vader. You clone Vader and get a baby with the same DNA as Anakin.

I don't even understand what you are arguing. What do you mean have "no backing"? Until a year or so ago, it was canon. I don't even understand the second part, or what it has to do with what I said. Whether they get a baby, or a being with Vader's memories, they still have one of the most powerful Force Sensitives to have ever lived.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't even understand what you are arguing. What do you mean have "no backing"? Until a year or so ago, it was canon. I don't even understand the second part, or what it has to do with what I said. Whether they get a baby, or a being with Vader's memories, they still have one of the most powerful Force Sensitives to have ever lived.
Because it isn't a year ago and Abrams and Kasdan I guarantee haven't read a word of it.a Vader clone with Vader memories is too silly even for Star Wars.

Faiz

Yeah, most of his characters have a comedic/goofy element to them. On Girls, they have dealt with his character having mental health issues.

Yep. Mainly because he has a pretty goofy look and voice. That's not even a criticism really, every actor has roles they are more suited to because of physical attributes.

(Note I'm not saying he CAN'T do it, I'm just having a hard time seeing it).

Moff

heh, I cant say I did not think of ben reilly, yeah. that shit made me hate clones forever.
cloning an army from a famous bounty hunter is fine for me, there were never issues who is the real one, or no one tried to revive jango fett with it. I dont even mind boba fett being a clone. as cheebo said, those are more like twins, not the same character.

the palpatine clones on the other hand, that's something I really hate and that alone made me completely fine with declaring the whole EU as non canon. even joruus c'baoth rubbed me the wrong way. not a fan of that. purely a matter of taste of course.

Cheebo

Banned
It's an absurd idea that will die with the EU. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too silly to ever work in actual on screen Star Wars. I wouldn't worry about it ever being a possibility.

It is just as realistic of a possibility as Yoda coming back to life and turning Sith.

So glad that consultant title means nothing.

He has probably read the shooting script and seen production design. He has probably toured the sets. Lucas likes to keep things as secret as he can. If he said he knew everything about the move people would ask him questions about it he wouldn't be allowed to answer anyway.

graffix13

heh, I cant say I did not think of ben reilly, yeah. that shit made me hate clones forever.
cloning an army from a famous bounty hunter is fine for me, there were never issues who is the real one, or no one tried to revive jango fett with it. I dont even mind boba fett being a clone. as cheebo said, those are more like twins, not the same character.

the palpatine clones on the other hand, that's something I really hate and that alone made me completely fine with declaring the whole EU as non canon. even joruus c'baoth rubbed me the wrong way. not a fan of that. purely a matter of taste of course.

I agree 100%. I HATED the Dark Empire story.

Jaeger

Because it isn't a year ago and Abrams and Kasdan I guarantee haven't read a word of it.a Vader clone with Vader memories is too silly even for Star Wars.

Again,I'm not arguing that it should happen. Or that it will happen. I'm just saying that if it did (in pre-Disney or post-Disney EU), it wouldn't be outside of what was already well established in the Star Wars Universe lore. You thinking it's stupid doesn't have anything to do with this argument or sentiment.

I wasn't a fan of Palpatine cloning himself over and over again, either. And I wasn't a fan of the stupid Marvel Clone Saga, either. It was handled incredibly poorly.

CD'S BAR

I hope these movies don't clone main characters. I don't think it'll happen and for what it's worth Lucas is on the record as saying " The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

Cloning a major character is dumb. Even cloning Boba Fett 2 was stupid but doing it to vader would be so bad.

It's not really that bad in the context of the Star Wars universe, where cloning is not only a thing but a thing that happens pretty much every day. I don't understand why cloning Boba Fett is outlandish but Vader or the Emperor isn't.

It's not really that bad in the context of the Star Wars universe, where cloning is not only a thing but a thing that happens pretty much every day. I don't understand why cloning Boba Fett is outlandish but Vader or the Emperor isn't.

It's dumb in the context of good writing in general, though. Now, I'll grant you, Star wars hasn't always had particularly good writing, but I do think it's something we should aspire towards :p

It's dumb in the context of good writing in general, though. Now, I'll grant you, Star wars hasn't always had particularly good writing, but I do think it's something we should aspire towards :p

It all depends on the context. The Empire is still around and there are still tons of people loyal to Palpatine/Vader and cloning is an established science...it stands to reason that someone is going to try it. In fact, it would be strange if someone doesn't try it.

What if it's an imperfect clone? What if the clone is born without the force? What if Luke rescues the clone and raises it to be a Jedi? There are a ton of interesting possibilities that can be raised besides just cloning the character and having them act as they did in the OT.

Jaeger

It all depends on the context. The Empire is still around and there are still tons of people loyal to Palpatine/Vader and cloning is an established science...it stands to reason that someone is going to try it. In fact, it would be strange if someone doesn't try it.

What if it's an imperfect clone? What if the clone is born without the force? What if Luke rescues the clone and raises it to be a Jedi? There are a ton of interesting possibilities that can be raised besides just cloning the character and having them act as they did in the OT.

I like your thinking. What if they were able to make him devoted to the Dark Side of The Force? The good guys would be in deep doodoo, then.

Toparaman

Banned
So in hype for this I went back and watched the trilogy again.

My new order for what I enjoy:

Empire Strikes Back - Beautifully shot, lovely to watch, great editing (though a bit poorly paced in the middle). The vader/luke fight is so perfectly executed it almost brings a tear to my eye. Why cant movies have this sort of hard hitting feel to them anymore? There is just something truly grounded in the scene that gives it weight and quality.

Return of the Jedi - AMAZING opening (minus the SE sing along crap) and a great ending (though again the middle stalls out horribly). Seriously the ending doesnt get enough love, the editing and music are insanely good.

(lots and lots and lots of space here)

A New Hope - Still fun, but my god its hard to enjoy the looooonnnnnngggggg shots. The shot of R2 leaving c3po after crash landing just sits there and holds for what feels like forever. The whole movie is this way except the ending. Every shot is like 5 seconds too long, just held there for no reason. I get this was a transitional movie and faster paced editing was still a few years away, but honestly the difference between Empire and this are sooo damn large. Empire just reeks of quality and high production. A New Hope feels like a student film in comparison.

What I will give it credit for though is feeling like a fresh universe. It really does feel like the "first look" into something major. Rough around the edges, poor acting everywhere (thats in all the films, but most apparent here) and just overall janky feel to it. It honestly feels like a film caught between the classical era of films and the new era, where as Empire and Jedi are firmly "modern" films. Things like the terribly shot grappling hook scene just scream "old hollywood adventure" and feel completely out of place in this new universe.

Also all the new additions to a New Hope detract from the film because of how blatantly obvious and poorly done they are. The dog fighting around the Death Star probably being the worst culprit as its so horribly obvious the new from the old, that it completely disconnects me from the actual (good) editing of the scene.

I'm very suprised about this order now as I use to be a Empire > New Hope > Jedi guy, but I just feel my taste changing with age.

New Hope's my favorite because it's in the spirit of old hollywood adventures. Also I like long shots (big fan of Kubrick).

A) No, it wouldn't, because it would never, ever occur to your audience. Rule 1: unless your villains are operating according to a deliberately alien set of standards, always give them a recognizable motive. That's why "destroy the world" supervillian plots are so weak, because seriously, who does that?

B) None of this requires them to be a clone, though. They could just as easily be a child, which would have a boatload of additional benefits.

Cloning Blues is just an outdated trope, IMO. Time to move on.

Jaeger

A) No, it wouldn't, because it would never, ever occur to your audience. Rule 1: unless your villains are operating according to a deliberately alien set of standards, always give them a recognizable motive. That's why "destroy the world" supervillian plots are so weak, because seriously, who does that?

B) None of this requires them to be a clone, though. They could just as easily be a child, which would have a boatload of additional benefits.

Cloning Blues is just an outdated trope, IMO. Time to move on.

Your response to this gives me the impression you aren't that familiar with SW EU, let alone the prequel films. The entire second and third film was about Clones.

It's a lot better than "You know better."

No it isn't, it's basically the same fuckin' thing.

Just disagree, don't pull this foster-sibling bullshit. Save it for an intervention or something.

Your response to this gives me the impression you aren't that familiar with SW EU, let alone the prequel films. The entire second and third film was about Clones.

I just don't see Abrams/Kasdan/Kinberg/Kennedy all going "yeah. We'll just clone the bad guy. Which bad guy? Shit. I dunno. Both of 'em, maybe" and rolling with it.

I am aware, yes. As was brought up earlier, growing an army is different from trying to create character drama through cloning.

LastNac

No it isn't, it's basically the same fuckin' thing.

Just disagree, don't pull this foster-sibling bullshit. Save it for an intervention or something.
"Cheebo, sit down, we have to have a talk."

I'll put it this way, the only impression I have of individual posters are their posts. When someone consistently offers well written and insightful posts a specific mindset is developed concerning the poster. To make nonsensical posts that hamper the consistent impression seems out of character. Hence, their past has proven them to be better at something.

CD'S BAR

It's been a while since I've seen AOTC (and it'll stay that way) but wasn't the cloning treated as like a secret one-off/ experimental technology? Also that it's non-existent in the OT would make it too jarring a plot device to pull off in the ST imo.

It's been a while since I've seen AOTC (and it'll stay that way) but wasn't the cloning treated as like a secret one-off/ experimental technology?

Yeah, a key component of the plot was that nobody knew that the army was being cloned.

Then again, the six-armed chef at Al's Diner or whatever seemed to know that Kamino was the spot you go if you wanna clone a thing, so it couldn't have been THAT secret.

Either way - I think it's safe to rule out "we're just gonna clone the bad guys from the last trilogy" as a viable option. I mean, I could be wrong, but I just don't see them going with that.

Top Bottom