• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
I won't be surprised if we don't see the ghosts. The movie looks to be told from the perspective of Boyega & Ridley and the ghosts so far have only ever appeared to Luke. I won't be surprised if we don't get a scene of Luke by himself to talk to a ghost.

I suspect the only scenes with Luke are when he is with other characters. Doesn't help that all the leaks so far say we don't get to Luke in this movie till the third act unlike Han who is in the movie from act 1.

Cheebo

Banned
Season 1 and 2 were REALLY rough. Lucasfilm Animation was finding it's footing. Season 3 and on were great. Rebels carries over all the main production crew of The Clone Wars (Dave Filoni being the mastermind of both shows), so if you like Rebels you'll like Clone Wars.

I was really worried post-Disney that the Lucasfilm Animation team would have a change up. Having Dave Filoni remain be the man in charge of animation was a huge relief. I suspect he'll also run what other animation comes after Rebels.

Season 1 and 2 were REALLY rough. Lucasfilm Animation was finding it's footing. Season 3 and on were great. Rebels carries over all the main production crew of The Clone Wars (Dave Filoni being the mastermind of both shows), so if you like Rebels you'll like Clone Wars.

I was really worried post-Disney that the Lucasfilm Animation team would have a change up. Having Dave Filoni remain be the man in charge of animation was a huge relief. I suspect he'll also run what other animation comes after Rebels.

It's a shame Rebels is on DisneyXD and is not getting any ratings. Rebels and the new Awakens trailer have really got me back into Star Wars again. You could say that my love has been Awakened :D

i love the way prosthetics in star wars are used. admittedly id love to see one of the new characters on the dark side get fucked up and go the general grievas route and just rebuild their body in prosthetics.

prag16

Banned
I loved how Chewie looked in Episode III. He looked great to me.

As for Clone Wars, I felt the second session is when it starts to get great.

I'm running through Clone Wars for the first time right now. Season 1 was kinda hard to get through. Season 2 wasn't great either, but showed some serious signs of life especially in the later going. Season 3 has hit the ground running, and things are really getting good.

Rebels has been decent so far. I'd say better than clone wars season 1 no doubt, but probably not as good as season 3 at least to this point.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hope so!

And getting off topic for a minute, Crystal Skull gets a lot of hate but I didn't think it was horrible. People always make fun of the refrigerator scene but forget about the equally silly jumping from an airplane and inflating a water raft, hitting the side of a mountain, and then falling off a cliff into a river scene from Temple of Doom.

Although I can't defend the Shia swinging from the monkey's or whatever. That was pretty stupid.

Mythbusters tested the raft thing. It could work. Oh, and the part in the actual movie with the raft coming out of the plane, inflating and going into an upright, slowed descent was completely real.
They also did a sliding landing down a snowy slope. If you're ever seen a ski video you should know how much that helps.
Forget radiation, that landing in Crystal Skull would kill you 99.999 times out of 100,000.

I'm running through Clone Wars for the first time right now. Season 1 was kinda hard to get through. Season 2 wasn't great either, but showed some serious signs of life especially in the later going. Season 3 has hit the ground running, and things are really getting good.

Rebels has been decent so far. I'd say better than clone wars season 1 no doubt, but probably not as good as season 3 at least to this point.

I still think the Clone Wars is better than Rebels. I really enjoy Rebels though. I think the first season of Rebels is better than the first season of The Clone Wars. What I am happy about is that they said there's only going to be 4 seasons of Rebels. So, hopefully that means there's less filler, because even though I liked The Clone Wars more, there also alot of filler (which I enjoyed though)

Incoming theory concerning the main villain.

Note others have reached the same conclusion, but I'd like to
flesh it out/take it a little further.

So, after re-watching Episode III, I believe the main villain of The Force Awakens to be Darth Plagueis. In Revenge of the Sith. Palpatine tells Anakin the story of Darth Plagueis the wise, and how he discovered immortality. Ian Mcdiarmid plays the scene in such a way that when he tells Anakin that Plagueis could influence the midichlorians to create life many, myself included, initially thought that he was insinuating that he had learned this gift from Plagueis and had intern created Anakin. When asked about this Lucas flat out responded no, Palpatine did not create Anakin. But what if Plagueis did? What if Darth Plagueis set in motion a plan to create a force strong being. Knowing how the Sith operate this is something he probably did not share with his apprentice. But Palpatine found out and assumed that Anakin would be his replacement. He then killed (or so he thought) Plagueis, and took Anakin for his own. Now re-watch that scene given the information I just gave you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg

Now, what if Palpatine was wrong about Plaguesis's intentions toward Anakin. What if Anakin was not meant to be Plaguesis's new apprentice, Anakin was created to be his vessel. Perhaps by time that Palpatine met Plagueis he was already very old. Palpatine could have assumed that the immortality that he found was physical, but in reality through the Force it was spiritual. What if through the Force he became a kind of spiritual parasite that could take over a hosts body, but much like a vampire only if you let him in. Now think about Anakin. Everything about his life was leading him to seek the power to change fate. If he were faced with the question to "let in" Plagueis I think he would have chosen to. In order to save Padme, in order to save his mother, and in order to bring order to the galaxy he would have.

Now, like Anakin Luke Skywalker is strong with the Force, but would never make such a deal with the devil, but what if one of the Solo children would?

So, after re-watching Episode III, I believe the main villain of The Force Awakens to be Darth Plagueis. In Revenge of the Sith. Palpatine tells Anakin the story of Darth Plagueis the wise, and how he discovered immortality. Ian Mcdiarmid plays the scene in such a way that when he tells Anakin that Plagueis could influence the midichlorians to create life many, myself included, initially thought that he was insinuating that he had learned this gift from Plagueis and had intern created Anakin. When asked about this Lucas flat out responded no, Palpatine did not create Anakin. But what if Plagueis did? What if Darth Plagueis set in motion a plan to create a force strong being. Knowing how the Sith operate this is something he probably did not share with his apprentice. But Palpatine found out and assumed that Anakin would be his replacement. He then killed (or so he thought) Plagueis, and took Anakin for his own. Now re-watch that scene given the information I just gave you.

Now, what if Palpatine was wrong about Plaguesis's intentions toward Anakin. What if Anakin was not meant to be Plaguesis's new apprentice, Anakin was created to be his vessel. Perhaps by time that Palpatine met Plagueis he was already very old. Palpatine could have assumed that the immortality that he found was physical, but in reality through the Force it was spiritual. What if through the Force he became a kind of spiritual parasite that could take over a hosts body, but much like a vampire only if you let him in. Now think about Anakin. Everything about his life was leading him to seek the power to change fate. If he were faced with the question to "let in" Plagueis I think he would have chosen to. In order to save Padme, in order to save his mother, and in order to bring order to the galaxy he would have.

Now, like Anakin Luke Skywalker is strong with the Force, but would never make such a deal with the devil, but what if one of the Solo children would?

Your idea isn't any more ridiculous than a severed hand floating through space and landing on another planet or the new saber(I actually like it)

Tookay

I really don't think Plagueis is going to be the villain. He doesn't strike me as being a villain that JJ or Kasdan would be interested in.

I don't think they should bring back any sith that were around prior to the emperor and Vader dying. It sort of negates the entire point of the original 6 movies with Luke and Anakin bringing balance to the force. I'd rather see the sith having to start over again or some kind of new dark Jedi appearing that isn't a sith. Actually, thinking about it I'd rather it be that Anakin and Luke destroyed the Sith for good and whatever happens in ep 7 is a new conflict.

I really don't think Plagueis is going to be the villain. He doesn't strike me as being a villain that JJ or Kasdan would be interested in.

Personally, I'm inclined to agree. Bodysnatcher villains are rarely done well. If Plagueis is involved at all, I'd prefer it to be limited the new sith-esque villain hunting down his secrets.

Cheebo

Banned
I really can't see Kasdan doing that at all. It is too reliant on the prequels for one thing. I don't think we are going to get a single big reference to the prequels at all honestly.

Do we have more information on episode 8 yet?

I am a little unsettled by the fact that Rian seems to have total control over the project. I don't see anything mentioning JJ or Kasdan staying on as writers. I'm just concerned about losing the feel of the first movie and ruining any continuity built by JJ/Kasdan.

Obviously, this could all just be unfounded, irrational thoughts.

sappyday

This sounds a lot like Kingdom Hearts.
Specifically, Terra's story and Master Xehanort's. It doesn't help that Kingdom Hearts already takes a lot from Star Wars (and literally has Luke play as a lawful master)

I am a little unsettled by the fact that Rian seems to have total control over the project. I don't see anything mentioning JJ or Kasdan staying on as writers. I'm just concerned about losing the feel of the first movie and ruining any continuity built by JJ/Kasdan.

I doubt Lucasarts is going to let the continuity get out of control.

Also, the whole trilogy is being based on a treatment written by Lucas too.

Cheebo

Banned

Abrams and Kasdan are not involving in the writing of Episode VIII. Rian Johnson is writing it as well as directing. Johnson having both script and directing duties is nothing to be concerned about. He is going to hit it out of the fucking park.

Kasdan is doing one of the spin-offs though.

Abrams and Kasdan are not involving in the writing of Episode VIII. Rian Johnson is writing it as well as directing.

Kasdan is doing one of the spin-offs though.

Hrm, don't know how I feel about that. How do you go from one film having a collaboration between JJ and Kasdan (RIP Arndt), to then bringing in a total newcomer who is going to be the solo act in writing/directing? Just seems odd to me.

Cheebo

Banned
Hrm, don't know how I feel about that. How do you go from one film having a collaboration between JJ and Kasdan (RIP Arndt), to then bringing in a total newcomer who is going to be the solo act in writing/directing? Just seems odd to me.
Rian Johnson isn't working in a bubble. He has been at Lucasfilm for months now. He knows what is going down with Episode VII and is at the front lines.

Also technically Kasdan is working on all 3 of the "saga" films. He was brought on board as an overall story consultant for Lucasfilm for all the various movies. He just got a lot more active and took over script duties on Episode VII directly. I haven't head anything that says he isn't still sticking around in his consultant role.

Looper and "Ozymandias" episode of Breaking Bad. 8 and 9 are in good hands as far as I'm concerned. About the solo thing, I don't think Johnson has that Lucas power. He still has to answer to Kathleen Kennedy.

shira

I doubt Lucasarts is going to let the continuity get out of control.

Also, the whole trilogy is being based on a treatment written by Lucas too.
k20iAYX.jpg

I think Lucas is still in charge.

Cheebo

Banned
Yes, that's true. Suppose i'll have to trust in Rian.
Look at Empire Strikes Back. Writing and directing by Lucas.

Empire? New director and Kasdan on the script with Lucas. And it all worked out just fine.

k20iAYX.jpg

I think Lucas is still in charge.

Nope. He retired and is pretty much in Chicago now full time. If he wanted control he wouldn't have quit and hired Kathleen Kennedy to replace him.

CD'S BAR

edit: beaten. Kasdan is producing 8 though according to wikipedia.

Cheebo

Banned
edit: beaten. Kasdan is producing 8 though according to wikipedia.
Kasdan is overall one of the guys who is acting as a story consultant/producer on all the films. He just got a lot more involved in Episode VII. Like I said before, we have been given no indication he is going away. Kasdan seems to be filling the void of Lucas as the "voice" of the franchise. The kind of go to guy who consultants on what characters would say, the rules of the force, etc.

I am still honestly shocked Kasdan came back, he had been mostly done with these type of films for the past 25 years.

shira

Look at Empire Strikes Back. Writing and directing by Lucas.

Empire? New director and Kasdan on the script with Lucas. And it all worked out just fine.

Nope. He retired and is pretty much in Chicago now full time. If he wanted control he wouldn't have quit and hired Kathleen Kennedy to replace him.

If Lucas were in charge, Harrison Ford wouldn't have broken his leg on that hydaulic door, it would have been cgi.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/ReasonableInsidiousBluetonguelizard.webm

Lucas got tired of us (by us, I mean SW fans and the general movie-going public) bitching about everything in his movies so he turned in initial story drafts for the new trilogy, took his check from Disney, and got the hell out of dodge.

He's done folks.

Lucas got tired of us (by us, I mean SW fans and the general movie-going public) bitching about everything in his movies so he turned in initial story drafts for the new trilogy, took his check from Disney, and got the hell out of dodge.

He's done folks.

I still can't believe he sold everything to Disney. I didn't see that coming, like the Jedi with Order 66.

He's done folks.

I don't blame him.
Yeah the prequels have a lot of problems but I still love them.
Watching Clone Wars gave me a new appreciation for Star Wars 1, 2, & 3

Yeah, it's really hard to want to watch the Prequels when there's basically 4 or 5 Clone Wars arcs that do what Obi-Wan was alluding to in Star Wars WAY better than the prequels ever did.

maharg

idspispopd
Yeah, it's really hard to want to watch the Prequels when there's basically 4 or 5 Clone Wars arcs that do what Obi-Wan was alluding to in Star Wars WAY better than the prequels ever did.

Yep. Clone Wars gave me a new appreciation for the *era* and for Anakin, but they pretty much killed what little favour the films had in my mind.

Though I actually dislike obi-wan a bit in the show compared to the films, to be honest. Something always felt off about him. And I hope I never have to hear Tim Curry do Palpatine ever again. Ugh. I like Tim Curry and all, but it's so wrong.

Cheebo

Banned

He's done folks.

It was obvious he didn't do it for the money either. Every penny from that sale is getting donated to charity.

Akahige

Yep. Clone Wars gave me a new appreciation for the *era* and for Anakin, but they pretty much killed what little favour the films had in my mind.

Though I actually dislike obi-wan a bit in the show compared to the films, to be honest. Something always felt off about him. And I hope I never have to hear Tim Curry do Palpatine ever again. Ugh. I like Tim Curry and all, but it's so wrong.
I'm only in season one but he's a lifeless know it all so far.

Cheebo

Banned
One element of TCW (which 99% of the time was far superior to the prequels) that was worse than the prequels was Count Dooku. The little we got out of him in the prequels showed him not to be much of a mustache twirling sort of villian. More strangely nice for a Sith, someone with good intentions that you clearly could see being the guy who trained and loved Qui-Gon. Someone who was hinted to have only joined the Sith to try and take down Palpatine from the inside. The EU touched on that a bit, that Dooku was less of a villain and his longterm plan was to stop Palpatine.

TCW made him an over the top maniacal villain by comparison.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

When do the good episodes start showing up? Because the movie and what I saw of season 1 were complete garbage. Might marathon on Netflix.

He's done folks.

Mission accomplished then. Everyone take a bow.

prag16

Banned
When do the good episodes start showing up? Because the movie and what I saw of season 1 were complete garbage. Might marathon on Netflix.
As I said earlier, for me season 1 was not very good at all. I'd say late season 2 it ramps up, and season 3 is where it really hits its stride imo.

Real Hero

I've started the clone wars and I actually think it's decent from the start. Especially the four part arc at the start of series 2 that I just got to, going back to genosis. It was basically going back and making attack of the clones watchable. It's a decent series and it makes you realise how stupid skipping over Anakins training between ep 1 and 2 was and the entirety of the clone wars being off screen.

I really can't see Kasdan doing that at all. It is too reliant on the prequels for one thing. I don't think we are going to get a single big reference to the prequels at all honestly.

Kasdan and the new Lucasfilm team have been working from outlines and notes created by Lucas. Now they could have thrown those out, but I don't think so. In fact every indicaiton, especially with certain things like The Clone Wars being cannon are a good indication that much of Lucas's original vision is intact. Whatever that vision may be.

Cheebo

Banned
Mission accomplished then. Everyone take a bow.
A lot of the comments were uncalled for. Raping your childhood I mean really? Come on. And Lucas is well aware of those type of comments. Kevin Smith once relayed a story from Ben Affleck from when Affleck has dinner at Steven Spielbergs house with George Lucas and found out both Lucas and Spielberg go on message boards and read what people say about them.

Right around Season 3. Seasons 4 & 5 contain the bulk of the decent arcs. There's one or two of them in Season 2.

You kinda have to cherrypick with that show. I can't imagine actually watching all of the episodes, in order, all the way through. Lotta episodes I got 3 minutes in and was like "nope"

TAJ

Right around Season 3. Seasons 4 & 5 contain the bulk of the decent arcs. There's one or two of them in Season 2.

You kinda have to cherrypick with that show. I can't imagine actually watching all of the episodes, in order, all the way through. Lotta episodes I got 3 minutes in and was like "nope"

lol
Maybe I'll just try to find some episode ratings somewhere.

Top Bottom