• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

Alur

Add me to the chorus.

Attended Target's midnight event last night and nabbed their Kylo Ren pop, a few of the basic figures, some 12" figures for my two sons, and the RC BB-8 for them as well.

Then I went this morning and luckily picked up the last Sphero BB-8 at the second closest Best Buy using the pick-up in store option before they opened.

The difference between RC BB-8 and Sphero BB-8 is vast.

RC BB-8 is pretty jerky and kind of hard to control. Collision sometimes detaches his head, and the controller itself is pretty cheap, but for a toy the boys love him. He's also much bigger than the Sphero.

Sphero BB-8 is amazing. The app is nice and functional, syncing him up is kind of like an experience in and of itself, and his movement and exploration/patrol mode are pretty cool. There were a bit too many chairs to his liking in the room I first tried him in, but he kept on trucking and maneuvering his way around.

If Sphero BB-8 was the size of RC BB-8 I would be over the moon. As it is, he's tiny but he's fun and I definitely don't regret it. When they release a better/bigger version down the line I might, however.

We got stuff at Fry's, really just a bunch of shirts and that windshield cover that looks like Han, Chewie, Luke, and Obi-Wan in the Millennium Falcon.

RobbieNick

Went to Target's opening and was third in line. You guys aren't kidding about Captain Phasma figures being hard to find as I got to the isle first and there was none to be found anywhere. I felt bad for this older man who was in front of me in line as he was getting the RC BB-8 and we couldn't find one anywhere. As I went up front with my purchase (a plush, talking BB-8) a different guy front of me had the only RC BB-8 in the store. So the old guy waiting longer than me for his Grandson's gift was out of luck. I felt bad for him.

However, I'm suspect that this Target made have been holding back merchandise for it's employees. No Captain Phasma? only one RC BB-8? It seems a little suspicious.

Thanks to my wife I was able to get the BB8 from Bed Bath and Beyond and the Air Hogs Falcon from Target. This three day weekend is going to be fantastic.

FOT5EE3%5B1%5D.JPG

curb

Banned
lol. Seriously.
I spent too much this September already, so I'm passing on all of the Star Wars goodness today. I'll probably snag a few things later on, when my October budget opens up.

I started totaling up the cost of that pic and began to cry so I quit.

acksman

^Nice

Here is my haul today. That will teach me taking a day off that just so happened to coincide with all this. Doesn't help Target and Best Buy is less than a mile from my house.

0FNlJFA.jpg

Gonzalez

Banned
So do I basically buy the most obscure character figures from SW: TFA, and sit on it for a few years before selling it all.

Toothless

I have no interest in getting any of these toys, but I felt like giving you guys a tip; I went shopping at Kohls earlier today and their entire display was untouched. No BB-8 but plenty of plush Poe Damerons and Kylo Rens if you're interested. Also some puzzles and posters and weird clothing I didn't really look at.

I don't think Kohls had mentioned in this thread, so there's a tip if you're looking for some stuff that might be sold out.

Kitoro

So this thread has made me want to actually buy a flying drone of sorts in the $50-$100 range, but I don't care if it resembles The Millennium Falcon or not.

Any recommendations, or is this Star Wars drone actually a good value, license aside?

Thanks!

My wallet hurts just looking at that.

I started totaling up the cost of that pic and began to cry so I quit.

Well I had received a $100 gift card to TRU and also had a 15% off one item coupon. Then I had $200 worth of Target gift cards, $25 off coupon, 5% off entire purchase coupon, and used my Red Card.

So honestly I didn't pay out of pocket an obnoxious amount. Still a lot but about half what it would have cost.

Neoxon

If everyone's going this nuts over merchandise, I should probably reserve my Force Awakens IMAX tickets now.

curb

Banned
Well I had received a $100 gift card to TRU and also had a 15% off one item coupon. Then I had $200 worth of Target gift cards, $25 off coupon, 5% off entire purchase coupon, and used my Red Card.

So honestly I didn't pay out of pocket an obnoxious amount. Still a lot but about half what it would have cost.

Awesome savings and a great haul. I'm sure my sadness and wallet pain is fueled by a tiny bit of merch envy.

If everyone's going this nuts over merchandise, I should probably reserve my Force Awakens IMAX tickets now.

My wife said the same thing when she stopped by Target. Shelves are being cleaned out.

Star Wars Merchandise will be hot this Holiday season. I'm still trying to convince my wife to see the move with me. Almost got her.

BFIB

Just a Kylo Ren Black Series figure and Aftermath on my Kindle for me.

Still have a BB-8 on hold at B&N........

Probably. There's a lot of time between now and Christmas.

I WAS planning on grabbing the Soundtrack, but they're not releasing the motherfucker until December 18th. Which is horseshit.
J.J. is such a spoilerphobe that I won't be surprised if it's just because the track titles contain slight spoilers.
Not yet. But trust me, trying to get IMAX tickets for Opening Night will probably be like trying to get a Fire Emblem Amiibo.
I hope there will be 2D IMAX showings.

Neoxon

My wife said the same thing when she stopped by Target. Shelves are being cleaned out.

Star Wars Merchandise will be hot this Holiday season. I'm still trying to convince my wife to see the move with me. Almost got her.
If only I didn't have so many gaming-related stuff to buy this year (plus those Star Wars tickets). I wouldn't be surprised if tickets for The Force Awakens in IMAX go up on eBay for insanely-inflated prices.

J.J. is such a spoilerphobe that I won't he surprised if it's just because the track titles contain slight spoilers.

Nah, that particular lesson got learned 15 years ago. Hasn't happened since.

I was counting on that traditional 3 weeks to a month lead-up so I could soak in that soundtrack before going to see the film.

Bleh.

Nah, that particular lesson got learned 15 years ago. Hasn't happened since.

I was counting on that traditional 3 weeks to a month lead-up so I could soak in that soundtrack before going to see the film.

Bleh.
I know what you mean. Whenever I go and see a film, it's hard for me to appreciate the soundtrack because I'm so focused on other things.
Please tell me the BB-8 Sphero isn't a limited release?
Nope, not a limited thing.

bPod

Very nice haul Haloid1177!

I was on the fence for the BB-8 but when I finally made up my mind, Best Buy was sold out and Bed Bath & Beyond was $10 more and charged freight. Luckily I was able to order one through Chapters; last place I would have thought of having one.

Now the waiting game begins...

-griffy-

Banned
I actually prefer to wait on the soundtrack until after I've seen the movie (when I manage the self control, that is). If I devour it before hand than I concentrate too much on recognizing the cues and anticipating how a certain track will fit into the film instead of just watching the movie.

Toothless

I plan on catching TFA Friday night in a normal theater. It'll be my first time ever seeing Star Wars in theaters, and it certainly won't be the only time I see it. I'll catch in IMAX a couple days later, but I just want the pure story, without 3D in my face, the first go around.

Still guessing it'll be hella hard to get tickets.

Neoxon

I know what you mean. Whenever I go and see a film, it's hard for me to appreciate the soundtrack because I'm so focused on other things.

Nope, not a limited thing.
I think this will be the second movie soundtrack that I purchase, the first being the one for Guardians.

And thank god that the BB-8 Sphero isn't a limited release. Gotta save up for it.

BFIB

J.J. is such a spoilerphobe that I won't be surprised if it's just because the track titles contain slight spoilers.

I hope there will be 2D IMAX showings.

Track2: Han Solo Shoots Last
Track 8: Finn picks up the lightsaber
Track 10: Yoda's Ghostly Return

I can see it now.......

Top Bottom