• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

Snaku

Banned
Wave 1 of the Walmart exclusive 3.75" Black Series are available to order. If you're into this scale, I'd recommend ordering these even if you've already bought the other 3.75" figures that were released today. The difference between the two is that the Black Series are of greater detail, and they are super articulated. Show Hasbro you support super articulation at this scale.

Darth Vader
Luke Skywalker
Chewbacca

There is no way you didn't already have that loaded up.

My disappointing nature is that predictable.
Yes, it is. But I was still hoping, man... Still hoping.
Wave 1 of the Walmart exclusive 3.75" Black Series are available to order. If you're into this scale, I'd recommend ordering these even if you've already bought the other 3.75" figures that were released today. The difference between the two is that the Black Series are of greater detail, and they are super articulated. Show Hasbro you support super articulation at this scale.

Darth Vader
Luke Skywalker
Chewbacca
I must be out of the loop with 3.75" figures because those look as articulated as the figures I have from years back.

3N16MA

Banned
Scalpers are really testing their luck with stuff. $400 for a BB-8 or $60 for one Black Series figure. Good luck trying to move them at that price.

No luck at Ogden's Walmart in Utah.
The lame lightsabers are the only thing left.

The worst part was seeing a scalper getting what else was left while I was walking in. :(

Darth Vader
Luke Skywalker
Chewbacca

Cheers.

womp

Scalpers acting like this shit isn't going to keep getting restocked for the next... forever, basically.

uCfp8Tc.jpg

*Damn double post

I just got a few bits for my 4 year old, got the darth Vader and Grievous hero masher figures, these are great he now has Marvel, transformers, Jurassic world and Star Wars ones to mix and match.

Also got one of the basic cheap 12" plastic figures of Kylo Ren for him.

I was tempted by the Micro Machines fold up playsets just because they remind me of my old mighty max but no chance was I paying £22 when they include so little

Scalpers acting like this shit isn't going to keep getting restocked for the next... forever, basically.

True, though I wouldn't be surprised if *some* items are purposely short packed to generate hype around the hunt.

If the majority of new JW toys are currently netting 2x price on ebay I bet some SW items will explode during this hype storm.

womp

True, though I wouldn't be surprised if *some* items are purposely short packed to generate hype around the hunt.

If the majority of new JW toys are currently netting 2x price on ebay I bet some SW items will explode during this hype storm.

Certainly possible.

To be honest, I remember back in the day how hard Yoda was to find. He kind of came as a second wave because I think they were trying to keep him a bit of a mystery leading up to Empire's premiere. I just recall not seeing as many of him as the other figures and thrilled when I did find him on a rack.

Ruze789

I managed to snag the Black Series Kylo Ren and Stormtrooper on my way home from work, I was pretty surprised and happy to see anything left worth picking up. I also grabbed the cheap flick-out Kylo light saber, my daughter loves those ones.

I also saw the $30 Rubies Deluxe Stormtrooper and Kylo Ren helmets, they were not nearly as crappy as I thought they would be. I didn't get them this time, but if I see them again they'd look pretty good on a shelf with my other helmets.

Quick

Banned
I picked up a Kylo Ren Funko Pop figure as my contribution to Force Friday earlier today.

Might get a Rey and Finn as well.

Got me some exclusive pop vinyl figures, limited star wars Disney pins, black series + 3 1/2 inch Kylo ren, phasma, and stormtrooper.

Plus I pre ordered figuarts kylo ren

Good day.

Vyer

Picked up my BB-8 this morning. After picking up my son from school we made the rounds to see what was out there.

Everything was ransacked. TRU, Target and Walmart were torn the fuck up.

womp

That was unfortunately me with the Powers Of The Force figures.

I still have those outside my place in a storage shed.

:|

Most of the reason I'm skipping on this Star Wars madness this time.

I had mine in a box in my parents attic for years. They were a set of the original Episode 1 figures from TRU's midnight launch with a certificate for being a part of said launch. My sister and I went because it looked to be fun and this was before the debacle it would become. I didn't buy them with signs of $$$ in my head though, I bought them as a fan.

Last year I dug them out and put them out at a yard sale for $2 each. I was glad to be done with them. If anything I kind of sort of regret selling my packaged original figures from the 80's a couple years ago, but they two had been boxed up for years and aren't doing anything for me. No room for this stuff and I bought myself a nice gaming PC with the cash I made. :)

What people are failing to understand is that the reason the older toys are worth some money is because back then I and all the other kids actually tore the packaging apart and played with these things, not stash them away with a collector mentality. Finding prestine and even packaged ones are much harder due to that so therefore after 30+ years you are going to see some apparent collectible value. If anything the older LOOSE toys are WAY overpriced IMO on the secondary market because they made billions of them and even good specimens are pretty common to this day. The weapons on the other hand...hehe

The prequel toys and the stuff from today? The majority of it is packaged rather than opened because of the "OMG These are gonna be worth a fortune later!" so you now have an opposite effect. That's fine...I hope these people choke on it and perhaps learn their lesson. :)

Has the Captain Phasma 6in Black Series figure been released? I can only find it listed as part of wave two online, but it seems a number of people have purchased it. I'm in Australia and have called most of the major retailers, but the Black Series doesn't even seem to be available. It's the only one I want. Can someone suggest an online retailer I could order it from?

Scalpers taking a future L, it's only September and we have three months + Black Friday + the holiday shopping season to go

Plus it's Disney, they want that $$$$$$$ , they aren't gonna copy Nintendos amiibo situation

uCfp8Tc.jpg

*Damn double post

Leave the God alone, he knows how to invest haha

Fox Mulder

Well if there's impatient morons paying why not. It takes two sides to fuel scalping.

People need patience and realize this stuff will be thoroughly stocked well into the holidays and beyond.

Tendo

By the time I got off work only 3 figures left. Snagged Luke Vader and Fin. Got the black Lego x wing and the falcon. Tempted to get the tie fighter and kylo ren ship as well.

Well if there's impatient morons paying why not.

My point is I don't think there's going to be a lot of impatient morons paying. This isn't a Black Friday situation where people simply don't have time to do anything but go to a scalper because Christmas isn't gonna get pushed back. It's the first weekend of September.

I had mine in a box in my parents attic for years. They were a set of the original Episode 1 figures from TRU's midnight launch with a certificate for being a part of said launch. My sister and I went because it looked to be fun and this was before the debacle it would become. I didn't buy them with signs of $$$ in my head though, I bought them as a fan.

Last year I dug them out and put them out at a yard sale for $2 each. I was glad to be done with them. If anything I kind of sort of regret selling my packaged original figures from the 80's a couple years ago, but they two had been boxed up for years and aren't doing anything for me. No room for this stuff and I bought myself a nice gaming PC with the cash I made. :)

What people are failing to understand is that the reason the older toys are worth some money is because back then I and all the other kids actually tore the packaging apart and played with these things, not stash them away with a collector mentality. Finding prestine and even packaged ones are much harder due to that so therefore after 30+ years you are going to see some apparent collectible value. If anything the older LOOSE toys are WAY overpriced IMO on the secondary market because they made billions of them and even good specimens are pretty common to this day. The weapons on the other hand...hehe

The prequel toys and the stuff from today? The majority of it is packaged rather than opened because of the "OMG These are gonna be worth a fortune later!" so you now have an opposite effect. That's fine...I hope these people choke on it and perhaps learn their lesson. :)

100% truth @ the bolded.

Anyone buying these toys today expecting to "come up" in 20 years are sharing that mindset with a million other people.

100% truth @ the bolded.

Anyone buying these toys today expecting to "come up" in 20 years are sharing that mindset with a million other people.

It's basically the same thing that happened with sports trading cards and comic books after the 80s. Once speculating became a mainstream thing, it was all over, for the most part.

Edit: And I went to the grocery store today and there were like 5 different Star Wars labeled sample stations set up. With like Star Wars spaghettios and cereal and shit. I knew Force Friday was a thing, I had no idea it was going to be that big of a thing.

100% truth @ the bolded.

And you can't predict what's going to be worth money. I have a 3 year old trade paperback
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir
I got on Amazon for $10 that's now selling on Amazon for $400. I would never expect that to be worth something. I have no problem opening my toys. They are meant to be played with.

How many Star Wars toys outside the original lineup are actually valuable (more than $50)? Not counting like ones where someone's clothes were miscolored or something like that. I'm talking about the standard figures.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not a force Friday item, but how many have picked up the Star Wars Lego advent calendar?

Me! but it hasn't arrived yet. shop.lego.com delivering it sometime next week. I actually have not seen the advent calendars in the wild yet. They sell really fast.
Has the Captain Phasma 6in Black Series figure been released? I can only find it listed as part of wave two online, but it seems a number of people have purchased it. I'm in Australia and have called most of the major retailers, but the Black Series doesn't even seem to be available. It's the only one I want. Can someone suggest an online retailer I could order it from?
It is part of the Wave 2 of figures coming in very late Sept or early October. BUT... some stores are supposedly already getting them such as Meijer. But I don't have one of those anywhere near me.

As for where to order one... you can already pre-order wave 2 at big bad toy store and dorkside toys among others. wave 1 was in good supply at amazon, target, toys r us, walmart and others... although some of them are sold out already such as Kylo Ren, Rey w/ BB-8 and the Trooper. There will be restocks, of course. So... you can wait till one of those retailers puts them up to get the best price. You'll have about a 12 to 18 hour window before they sell out probably. Just gotta keep your eye on the latest news.

There's a lot of talk in this thread about the value of the figures and people supposedly buying these to make a good return, either in the short or long term. That has never been a concern of mine, even during the Episode I days. I only bought what I wanted to have, their value over time was not on my mind. I suspect LOTS of SW fans are the same way. If occasionally a figure I bought did go up in value (some early 6" black series are now worth over $150 easily), it was only an added bonus. People should avoid paying high prices for anything currently out of stock... tons more will come. Just gotta realize scalpers thrive on people being impatient. I know it's hard... just hang in there.

Found a Finn 3" figure at shopko and a black series x-wing!

Shopko also had big BB-8 plushies but I didn't get it.

Oh and I put back an armor up first order storm trooper and a 3" Ray and Poe The new trooper armor looks so good!

I want to go back and grab Rey and Poe! What is wrong with me.

JTripper

Had a tough decision to make today. Went to my nearest B&N at about 2pm and they had one BB-8 Sphero left. I took it with me as I browsed the store for a bit to contemplate whether I should spend the money on this sweet collectible toy. I also had a 20% coupon at B&N to use.

After about a half hour of tough internal contemplation I decided to leave it. I'm not a toy collector and I pretty much forced myself to believe that I only wanted to buy it cause I'm super hyped for TFA and wanted to jump on the Force Friday bandwagon. It was really tough but I figured by leaving it, hopefully someone more passionate about toy collecting would pick it up and take it to a happy home where it can be fully appreciated. I'm also really trying to save my money right now, so buying BB-8 would have been a real serious impulse buy. If I hadn't already pre-ordered a signed copy of Aftermath online, I would have at least walked out of the store with one Star Wars item haha.

I also don't have a work desk to put BB-8 on as a cool desk accessory/decoration, so.

It was pretty funny too, cause after I put it back on the table I found it on I browsed a little more at a nearby bookshelf and overheard an employee who I'd seen there before. She said to another employee "Oh, it's back!? The BB-8, we only had 1 left and it was just gone but now it's back."

Top Bottom