• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

Went into Target on my lunch and got the last on the shelf Kylo Black Series.

U94wOu1.jpg

Why does that Ren say only at Target?

TheShocker

Didn't find anything from a collectable stand point that I wanted. Everything was pretty picked over. Lots of cool stuff though for my son to choose from. He got the cheapy flamethrower storm trooper. I don't understand the popularity with those things. They dont bend at the elbows or knees. Defeats the point of playing with them imo.

stufte

Didn't find anything from a collectable stand point that I wanted. Everything was pretty picked over. Lots of cool stuff though for my son to choose from. He got the cheapy flamethrower storm trooper. I don't understand the popularity with those things. They dont bend at the elbows or knees. Defeats the point of playing with them imo.

That's how my star wars toys worked when I was a kid. Didn't defeat shit.

Lebron

I can't believe that damn $150 robot is sold out everywhere. They really did knock it out of the park with its design. Was showing people at work and even the ones who could give zero fucks about Star Wars were complementing the little guy.

Big Brett

I can't believe that damn $150 robot is sold out everywhere. They really did knock it out of the park with its design. Was showing people at work and even the ones who could give zero fucks about Star Wars were complementing the little guy.

Best Buy has them in stock online.

See for yourself thanks to Polygon

gsrjedi

Anybody order BB-8 from Sphero have an estimated ship date?

Was passing by a Brookstone & they had a bunch of boxes, got excited but they were all empty boxes & they were sold out

Alur

is this thing any good???

I posted about it earlier:

The difference between RC BB-8 and Sphero BB-8 is vast.

RC BB-8 is pretty jerky and kind of hard to control. Collision sometimes detaches his head, and the controller itself is pretty cheap, but for a toy the boys love him. He's also much bigger than the Sphero.

Sphero BB-8 is amazing. The app is nice and functional, syncing him up is kind of like an experience in and of itself, and his movement and exploration/patrol mode are pretty cool. There were a bit too many chairs to his liking in the room I first tried him in, but he kept on trucking and maneuvering his way around.

If Sphero BB-8 was the size of RC BB-8 I would be over the moon. As it is, he's tiny but he's fun and I definitely don't regret it. When they release a better/bigger version down the line I might, however.

I'll add that after more playing with the Sphero the personality of the thing really shines. Definitely don't regret the purchase, though again I do wish it were bigger. And the RC has kept my 5 year old son (and to a lesser extent his 3 year old brother) entertained off and on all day. It has it's charm as well.

It's back in stock on best buy and GameStop

Disney working lightning speed ;)
Resellers shook

Gallbaro

Banned
Picked up my BB-8 this morning. After picking up my son from school we made the rounds to see what was out there.

Everything was ransacked. TRU, Target and Walmart were torn the fuck up.

I was in Disney Hollywood Studios, they opened a new store dedicated to star wars. They had everything and plenty of stock.

Jedi2016

The local Barnes & Noble hadn't even put their stuff out yet (at 5:30PM), so I was able to snag a BB-8. I'm loving the little guy. He seems to have some trouble over the cheap carpet here in the apartment (I'm charging it up now to see if that makes a difference in horsepower), but he gets around. The cat's not quite sure what to make of him.

Vyer

I was in Disney Hollywood Studios, they opened a new store dedicated to star wars. They had everything and plenty of stock.

Yeah, I would expect inside Disney would be one place at least that would keep on top of things.

Other than the BB-8 luckily there wasn't really anything we were in a rush to buy. Mostly went out of curiosity

I'm not in the US so I'm not sure how stores like Target and Walmart are, but I'd recommend going to a Disney Store if you can. They'll likely have plenty of stock and good exclusives like the die-cast figures and vehicles.

I almost got a couple of those ships but elected to get some hot wheels brand ships instead. I picked up some of the first wave earlier this year.

I did get the Hot Wheels Millennium Falcon earlier in the week. But honestly, I'm so impressed with that star destroyer I'll probably get the titanium series Falcon, too.

Just a question of if I want the single one with the box antenna or the one from the four pack that has the original antenna dish.

I want that light up Kylo Ren lightsaber that's $30. But I want more ships. But I don't get paid again until next week. I need a better paying job lol.

Matt

So I have four BB-8s. I seriously only meant to get one, but I was super paranoid about getting it so I put in a lot of orders...and they all came through.

Need to figure out what to do with them.

So I have four BB-8s. I seriously only meant to get one, but I was super paranoid about getting it so I put in a lot of orders...and they all came through.

Introduce them to each other, see if they take over your house

NoKisum

Can someone give me the lowdown on the Star Wars Bladebuilders sets? I likr the concept of customizable lightsabers (and could possibly help in tne long run with cosplaying), but it all appears... pricey.

I got the Sphero BB-8. He is amazing. Been controlling him all night with my phone and then tablet. The control work better on the tablet i think because of more room. It when down like 3 steps and still held up. Although i wouldnt drop this thing on concrete like the sphero 2.0. Once TFA marketing really picks up I think this thing will be the Tickle Me Elmo product this year.

Robotics could help revolutionize they way kids play with their toys. Sphero's site shows a ton of promise.

Also picked up these 4 Star Wars Black Series titanium vehicles. Really nice although the regular xwing is acting up. Glad these are from the classic trilogy and the new on. I was looking for Kylo but damn they sold out. BB-8 makes up for it though. I cant wait for them to evolve this app and the robot itself. Its just so damn fun to play with. I am 28 yes.

20150905_044615129_iOS_zpsljhivijy.jpg

Saw someone today but every single BB-8 (three of them) at a store when they opened. He sure was quick and defensive to the cashier. "I have three kids. You know how they are."
Sure, buddy. Sure.

Boogie9IGN

Went to the midnight launch, ended up grabbing some tiny black series vehicles and a Funko Pop Captain Phasma. Went to about 7 Targets throughout the day, grabbed some more vehicles and a Stormtrooper.

Dropped by a Disney Store and saw they had the same die cast vehicles but much bigger and for only $10-20. Bought the Millennium Falcon and First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter in store and ordered Poe's X-Wing through their site. Walked by Hot Topic and they had a special Buy Two, Get One Free promo for SW FunKo Pop figures or Buy One, Get One 50% Off for all other Pop figures so I picked up Poe Cameron and some exclusive Tenth Doctor figure.

Going to return all the stuff I got at Target tomorrow as the Disney Store models are much, much nicer and definitely worth the extra money. My only complaint is that they don't have any stands included but at least the Falcon has retractable landing gear. Next time I get paid I'll start ordering the AT-AT, Slave I, a Star Destroyer, and maybe Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle.

Ran to the nearby Target and they only had Chewbacca figures left, but they had the NERF Lightsabers.
I went ahead and bought one, then got a call from a frat brother so that I could get him one too.
The blade is 22 inches, just like the plastic and light-up ones.
For $15, it should work fine as a cheap LARPing weapon.

MattyG

Banned
I got the Sphero BB-8. He is amazing. Been controlling him all night with my phone and then tablet. The control work better on the tablet i think because of more room. It when down like 3 steps and still held up. Although i wouldnt drop this thing on concrete like the sphero 2.0. Once TFA marketing really picks up I think this thing will be the Tickle Me Elmo product this year.

Robotics could help revolutionize they way kids play with their toys. Sphero's site shows a ton of promise.

Also picked up these 4 Star Wars Black Series titanium vehicles. Really nice although the regular xwing is acting up. Glad these are from the classic trilogy and the new on. I was looking for Kylo but damn they sold out. BB-8 makes up for it though. I cant wait for them to evolve this app and the robot itself. Its just so damn fun to play with. I am 28 yes.

20150905_044615129_iOS_zpsljhivijy.jpg
Those things are that big? Bigger than I expected. I just ordered all 12 of them, and now I don't think I have enough shelf space.

In hindsight, I may have gone a tad overboard. I might end up cancelling some of the ones I want less (if I can choose) and get them at a later date.

Edit: Just went and cancelled the Resistance X-Wing, the First Order TIEs and Kylo's shuttle. I don't need 3 X-Wings and 2 TIEs, and Kylo's shuttle really doesn't look great in terms of build quality.

Also, while I was looking on Amazon, a Kylo Ren 3.75" was available, but it said it was out of stock when I tried to put it in my cart. Bummer.

If anyone is still trying to find a BB-8, most of the Bed Bath and Beyond's in my area have stacks of them while Best Buy and Barnes & Noble were sold out. Obviously anecdotal and won't apply to everyone, but it seems like a lot of people don't know that Bed Bath and Beyond carried Star Wars merch.

On that note, I'm sure it's already been said in this thread but the Sphero BB-8 is amazing; I don't regret the purchase at all. Thought it would be a vaguely amusing novelty for a few hours, but I've spent an irresponsible amount of time playing with it today and I haven't even had anyone to show it to past my girlfriend. It's amazing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Now granted I have not gotten a chance to look at them side-by-side really close to compare but I honestly can not tell the difference between some of the Hot Wheels Star Wars ships and the new Titanium ships from Hasbro. Anyone have thoughts on this?

The bases are clearly different but if not for that I could not tell them apart. X-Wings especially.

My poor, poor wallet...oh god.

Ordered a BB-8 after seeing an actual demonstration at a store (backordered for next weeks shipment), Hot Toys First Order Stormtrooper Squad Leader, picked up three books and the Revell Poe's X-Wing. I havent even seen the movie yet why am I doing this?!

So how's Aftermath?

I only just got it of course but I've heard mixed things. Overall sort of lukewarm but not outright bad. Im still interested just due to the time period.

I also got two other books. Weapon of a Jedi and Smugglers Run. I have too much reading to do and not enough time haha

TCRS

Banned
There are so many Star Wars threads right now I honestly don't know where to post this...

But here we go. This is the 199.99 USD Force FX Kylo Ren lightsaber on sale on Sept 4th.

U4ROV5Y.jpg
God fucking damnit why am I so fucking poor right now. I need this and the BB-8

Rootbeer

Banned
God fucking damnit why am I so fucking poor right now. I need this and the BB-8

Well don't hate me... but I'm actually incredibly excited because I managed to buy that saber and the Sphero BB-8... both from amazon. Purchased them while waiting in line for Target to open for Midnight Madness. The glory of smartphones! None of that was possible back in 1999 the last time the first merch of a new trilogy was coming out. I love the future!

Paganmoon

Sooooo no hint of when the next trailer is dropping from today's events?

With the buzz and publicity they got yesterday, I'm not sure we'll ever see another trailer from a Star Wars movie (or a Disney owned one at that), They'll just release toys in huge batches every now and then. This is the future of trailers :)

I did get the Hot Wheels Millennium Falcon earlier in the week. But honestly, I'm so impressed with that star destroyer I'll probably get the titanium series Falcon, too.

Just a question of if I want the single one with the box antenna or the one from the four pack that has the original antenna dish.

I want that light up Kylo Ren lightsaber that's $30. But I want more ships. But I don't get paid again until next week. I need a better paying job lol.

I went and got a star destroyer too.
Pretty awesome!

I love the toy ships more than anything else.

I had jury duty yesterday so I wasn't able to go to any of midnight releases. By the time I got out most of the stores had sold out of everything. I did manage to get a couple of things at a local comicbook shop

So how's Aftermath?

I've listened to a bit over half of the audio book, and I quite like it. It does a good job of showing something that is definitely more realistic as a result of the what happened in RotJ. Not all of the characters do it for me, but its much more hit than miss. It's pretty dark in places, too.

I think a great number of lukewarm opinions are from butt hurt Zahn fans who were sad their canon isn't such anymore.

Side note, I haven't listened to an audio book in forever. The Aftermath one is much more a full on radio drama with Star Wars music, did effects, etc. Is this the norm for audio books now?

rhino4evr

You should have zero problem selling them for retail price on eBay. Now if you can hold onto them until Xmas, I'm sure you'll be able to sell them to desperate parents for big bucks.

gsrjedi

Now granted I have not gotten a chance to look at them side-by-side really close to compare but I honestly can not tell the difference between some of the Hot Wheels Star Wars ships and the new Titanium ships from Hasbro. Anyone have thoughts on this?

The bases are clearly different but if not for that I could not tell them apart. X-Wings especially.

The biggest difference is size, the Hot Wheels ones are bigger. Looking closer, the Titaniums can have a little more detail. Looking at X-Wings for instance the Titaniums have an opening cockpit with clear plastic, where the Hot Wheels just have the cockpit painted. It's little things you mainly have to look closely at to tell.

Top Bottom