• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

My Haul!!!

EA8x2Ty.jpg

FTFsGhN.jpg

Qorc8by.jpg

N2RlCjj.jpg

obin_gam

What's the deaql with The Black Series anyway? Are they collectibles, limited or what? They toys don't look that good imo

What's the deaql with The Black Series anyway? Are they collectibles, limited or what? They toys don't look that good imo

They're not strictly limited no. But some of the earlier waves are worth quite a bit now. Darth Maul, R2 etc. I have three myself (Stormtrooper,Bespin Luke and Han) and they're all really good likenesses, with good articulation. That's why I'm planning on getting the Force Awakens ones.

Moff

are there 2 different kinds of black series? one in a big black box without portraits and the ones in the smaller boxes with portraits. as seen with the stormtrooper here

Wubby

Bandai Model Kits announced.

11953399_153194285020037_452657104105791990_o.jpg

11886167_153194101686722_7923425140363833766_o.jpg

11890411_153194691686663_272980501091197003_o.jpg

11951506_153194801686652_6285414170032065573_o.jpg

1661727_153195131686619_1079463059388456352_n.jpg

These are what I'm most excited for! I really like the Bandai Star Wars kits. I've bought all the ships/vehicles they've released so far and will be picking these up too. Really great kits and fall together so well. If you have any interest in plastic models these are great places to start too.

Infinite

Saw some dude flip out saying he drove from Connecticut to New York almost getting a speeding ticket to pick up the kylo ren $200 light saber only to see someone else walk out th store with the last one. The thirst is real o_o

I'm assuming the black series will be restocked?

It's probably all gonna get restocked. This is a large part of the reason Disney purchased Lucasfilm. These toys make billions when there aren't even movies out.

People killing themselves to get this shit in the first weekend when it's just gonna be on the next truck that backs up to the loading dock on Wednesday.

Cheebo

Banned
It's probably all gonna get restocked. This is a large part of the reason Disney purchased Lucasfilm. These toys make billions when there aren't even movies out.

People killing themselves to get this shit in the first weekend when it's just gonna be on the next truck that backs up to the loading dock on Wednesday.
3 billion revenue in Star Wars merchandise last year. A non-movie year. I can't even fathom how high this is going to rise now that we are getting movies yearly. Insane business.

Star Wars makes its real money in merchandise, not theaters.

Snaku

Banned
3 billion revenue in Star Wars merchandise last year. A non-movie year. I can't even fathom how high this is going to rise now that we are getting movies yearly. Insane business.

Star Wars makes its real money in merchandise, not theaters.

Yeah, what Disney paid to get this franchise was an absolute steal.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, what Disney paid to get this franchise was an absolute steal.
Lucas wasn't looking to get the highest offer he could in Hollywood. Someone like Fox or Paramount who is more desperate for a franchise to own could have potentially bet the farm far more than Disney who already has strong brands. He didn't even entertain any other offers from other studios.

Lucas donating all of his wealth he has to charity and wanting a home that would protect the legacy makes it pretty clear the max $ he could get really wasn't the main goal here he had in the deal.

The biggest difference is size, the Hot Wheels ones are bigger. Looking closer, the Titaniums can have a little more detail. Looking at X-Wings for instance the Titaniums have an opening cockpit with clear plastic, where the Hot Wheels just have the cockpit painted. It's little things you mainly have to look closely at to tell.

And this is just comparing the Hot Wheels Millennium Falcon and Titanium Star Destroyer, but the hot wheels one feels... lighter? Like it's hollow, while the Star destroyer actually feels like a die cast ship.

It's hard to explain in words beyond that, but they feel different in hand.

Wubby

Are those bandai kits basically gunpla?

Yes.. same tech. Snap fit kits molded in different colors. But the detail is truly superb. They've done a fantastic job so far. You have to check out the Y-Wing they did. I have some of the 'old' Finemolds kits that were molded in the traditional methods (need glue/paint) and many considered them some of the best kits on the market. But personally comparing the two Bandai kits are better even being snap fit.

Yeah Disney wanted the merchandise part of Star Wars the most. They are probably going to double what they paid for Lucasfilm just this year alone off merch. Thats not including the movie. I cant tell you how much Stars Wars merch I owned when i was in grade school. It is still here sitting in a plastic box. Not getting rid of it anytime soon.

On our way home from picking up some lightsabers last night, I brought up Spaceballs to my son. My wife and I were describing the concept of a parody to him and he was laughing hysterically. So we decided on watching it and he was so invested in all of the similarities and laughed at Dark Helmet's helmet and "Yogurt" etc. I found it fitting watching it on Force Friday with all of the merchandising gags haha. Had to share.

Yup. Kylo Ren's are like 80 bucks on amazon right now. I hope no one buys them at that price. Also I hope no one over pays for a BB8. I've seen a bunch still around after going to a couple stores.

I'd buy the Finn black series figure if he came with the lightsaber. There isn't one hidden behind the packaging is there? (I kept trying to look for one)

Setzer

So, I've been looking for a Boba Fett helm and came across one of these on eBay. When I was out shopping for new Force Awakens stuff I don't recall seeing this anywhere and I can't seem to find it available from any online retailer. Anyone know anything about it?

LINK

I really want action fleet to come back. The micro machines miniature assortment packs looked really rough. I don't remember how they looked in years past but yeesh.

Snaku

Banned
Lucas wasn't looking to get the highest offer he could in Hollywood. Someone like Fox or Paramount who is more desperate for a franchise to own could have potentially bet the farm far more than Disney who already has strong brands. He didn't even entertain any other offers from other studios.

Lucas donating all of his wealth he has to charity and wanting a home that would protect the legacy makes it pretty clear the max $ he could get really wasn't the main goal here he had in the deal.

Yeah, I'm aware of his intentions, and he has my utmost respect. I'm just saying Disney got a damn fine deal on it.

MattyG

Banned
I ended up messing with my order. 8 Titanium black ships was just way too many. So what I've got coming from Amazon is;

4 pack Titanium Black set
Titanium Black Slave-1
Boba Fett 3.75"
Darth Vader 3.75"
BB-8 Funko Pop figure
and the 4 YA novels

How are the 3.75" figures in terms of displaying? Pretty easy to stand up?

These are what I'm most excited for! I really like the Bandai Star Wars kits. I've bought all the ships/vehicles they've released so far and will be picking these up too. Really great kits and fall together so well. If you have any interest in plastic models these are great places to start too.

There droids are amazing. The R2 is a better scale fit for the black series than the actual black series R2.

I'd buy the Finn black series figure if he came with the lightsaber. There isn't one hidden behind the packaging is there? (I kept trying to look for one)

If you have the other figures in the line just use one of Luke's. I have all the Lukes and I don't see why the X-wing pilot one needs a saber.

Faiz

There droids are amazing. The R2 is a better scale fit for the black series than the actual black series R2.

If you have the other figures in the line just use one of Luke's. I have all the Lukes and I don't see why the X-wing pilot one needs a saber.

To cut open the belly of attacking AT-ATs and throw a grenade, obviously.

...suddenly considering how large a Black Series AT-AT would have to be.

I've listened to a bit over half of the audio book, and I quite like it. It does a good job of showing something that is definitely more realistic as a result of the what happened in RotJ. Not all of the characters do it for me, but its much more hit than miss. It's pretty dark in places, too.

I think a great number of lukewarm opinions are from butt hurt Zahn fans who were sad their canon isn't such anymore.

Side note, I haven't listened to an audio book in forever. The Aftermath one is much more a full on radio drama with Star Wars music, did effects, etc. Is this the norm for audio books now?

I love the Thrawn trilogy but people need to get over it. It's all made up anyways.

Metalmarc

Potato quality pics incoming, apologies on the rush job, just came back from shopping
just quick uploading for those who wanted to see the psychical cards

the set is called journey to the force awakens and covers OT to the force awakens films only , no new images or info we don't already know
image.jpg

booklet

checklist_booklet.jpg

(i know cards aren't in right order,apologies to the ocd types)

cards_front.jpg

card backs

cards_back.jpg

picture checklist poster
picture_checklist.jpg

Faiz

Showed my wife the BB-8 video last night.

Today while we were out shopping she surprised me by saying "oh if they have one we're getting one!"

Of course they didn't. But I ordered one to ship when available on Amazon. Didn't tell her. She'll be surprised and delighted when it arrives.

So, I've been looking for a Boba Fett helm and came across one of these on eBay. When I was out shopping for new Force Awakens stuff I don't recall seeing this anywhere and I can't seem to find it available from any online retailer. Anyone know anything about it?

LINK
Target had them with the costumes but I couldnt find any I only saw one in a guys hand

tmdorsey

Question for the others with the Sphero BB-8:

Is there a way to have him move around while in the dock like he did prior to being synced with a phone? He kinda flashed lights and moved his head back and forth. But, as soon as he was all done syncing with my phone he stays perfectly still until I take him out of the dock and move him around on my own.

Yep. I hope there's a future update to allow BB-8 to function while the app is in the background on the device.

You should have zero problem selling them for retail price on eBay. Now if you can hold onto them until Xmas, I'm sure you'll be able to sell them to desperate parents for big bucks.

I doubt it, as those parents will have plenty of chances in the next three months to pick up one on their own, possibly even at a discounted price as the holidays get closer.

Everyone's acting as if there's going to be some sort of artificial scarcity going on before the Christmas season closes out. These are on shelves before that season's even begun.

If you have 4 and you only wanted the one, just return the other 3.

Went to walmart today to get stuff for an oil change and decided to see what was left.

Pretty much nothing. Was gonna get a finn figure for my nephew. Nope.

They had a lady giving away star wars cupcakes tho

curb

Banned
I finally got to a store to see what was left. My closest TRU had lots of stuff but absolutely zero Black Series or the smaller figures. My closest Walmart which is usually not great had some of the smaller figures and what I think was a Black Series Chewie. Not a Phasma to be found which was of absolutely no surprise.

Came home with two Disney Infinity Figures.

Metalmarc

Went to walmart today to get stuff for an oil change and decided to see what was left.

Pretty much nothing. Was gonna get a finn figure for my nephew. Nope.

They had a lady giving away star wars cupcakes tho

plenty of stuff still available in the uk though the kylo, build a saber had been selling well
our smyths toys had made a huge papier mache at-at, wish i had taken a photo now

MattyG

Banned
Potato quality pics incoming, apologies on the rush job, just came back from shopping
just quick uploading for those who wanted to see the psychical cards

the set is called journey to the force awakens and covers OT to the force awakens films only , no new images or info we dont already know
I may have to try collecting these, really loving the look.

Question for the others with the Sphero BB-8:

Is there a way to have him move around while in the dock like he did prior to being synced with a phone? He kinda flashed lights and moved his head back and forth. But, as soon as he was all done syncing with my phone he stays perfectly still until I take him out of the dock and move him around on my own.

There's a button on the side of the dock, if you hit it it'll go off for like 2 minutes. The dock needs to be plugged in and he has to be on it.

Anyone with impressions of the non-remote controlled BB-8?

Namely this one:
http://www.disneystore.co.uk/star-w...-interactive-talking-figure/mp/85457/1000252/

Oh I had no idea there was a third electronic BB-8.

So there's the Sphero BB-8 with smartphone control, the Target BB-8 with remote control, and now this Disney Store BB-8 with no remote.
I was at a Disney store last night but I didnt see any of these.

Edit: apparently it's from Thinkway Toys. 12 inches tall, makes sound, takes batteries, rolls around and can respond to voice commands, and is around 45 US dollars.
http://toyland.gizmodo.com/it-turns-out-theres-a-cheaper-interactive-bb-8-that-rol-1728652667

411014427729-1

Top Bottom