• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

-griffy-

Banned
So I have been using BB-8 (Sphero) since Friday night, I have been using him on carpet and rougher outdoor spots (lockstone, etc.).

However, I used him on the hardwood and tile in my house and he seems to have issues keeping balance. He rocks back and forth after an emote for instance, or when going straight quickly and turning he looses track and ends up in an endless spin.

Is this normal?

The surface is probably just too slick so he can't grab traction. He worked well on the linoleum in my mom's kitchen that has a lot of texture, the short carpet at work, and the medium carpet at my apartment, but the thicker carpet in my mom's place he couldn't move at all.

The surface is probably just too slick so he can't grab traction. He worked well on the linoleum in my mom's kitchen that has a lot of texture, the short carpet at work, and the medium carpet at my apartment, but the thicker carpet in my mom's place he couldn't move at all.

Hrmm that makes sense then. Just such a contrast after the first few days of use.

Paganmoon

So got my BB-8 today, (my order for the other stuff from Disney store hasn't shipped yet...),
still no Windows Phone app from Sphero for it (why did I even hope?), so figured, hell I've got W10preview on my 1020, I'll try Astoria. App seems to install fine, but not sure if the 1020 is just too slow for it, as it's stuck on the splash screen. So now I've got a 190 dollar toy on my desk that I can't use yet, damn it.

So anyway, when I set it to charge at first, it played around looking and so on, and I was sort of surprised how noisy it seemed, normal though, right?

BFIB

Saw some videos on the Force FX Kylo Ren saber. Really cool effect that they added in the "flickering" that you see in the teaser.

Chanser

It is here.
hHpa9bd.jpg

-griffy-

Banned
My Black Series Rey/BB-8 was just delivered from Amazon, box was totally crushed on one side since it was only packaged in a bubble wrap envelope. Would have been very easy for some piece to be damaged had it been crushed any more. I don't mind so much since I'm just taking them out and putting BB-8 on my desk and Rey on a shelf at home, but I still left Amazon some scathing packaging feedback.

Pretty shoddy on their part. I've had more substantial packaging for smaller items that have less chance of being damaged (oversized box and airbag-things for a single SD card, for example).

A7X9rAVl.jpg

esRPKf2l.jpg

TEP0TNfl.jpg

BFIB

My Black Series Rey/BB-8 was just delivered from Amazon, box was totally crushed on one side since it was only packaged in a bubble wrap envelope. Would have been very easy for some piece to be damaged had it been crushed more any more. I don't mind so much since I'm just taking them out and putting BB-8 on my desk and Rey on a shelf at home, but I still left Amazon some scathing packaging feedback.

Pretty shoddy on their part. I've had more substantial packaging for smaller items that have less chance of being damaged (oversized box and airbag-things for a single SD card, for example).

My black series Kylo Ren was the same. One side pretty much smashed. I ended up getting the box back to a regular shape, but there's clear damage on it. Which is a shame, because I always keep my 6" series I buy in the packaging for display.

My Black Series Rey/BB-8 was just delivered from Amazon, box was totally crushed on one side since it was only packaged in a bubble wrap envelope.

Dat Amazon quality packing job. I really can't describe how much better Amazon JP and UK are at this. It's like they actually give a shit.

Seeing all these BB-8 robots are making me want to get one.

Must...resist...

On another note, which is a good brand that makes high quality models of the stormtroopers?

Quick little article about the old EU and people who refuse to give it up.

Although the overall reviews for the novel are positive, Wendig notes on his blog that there is a storm of one-star reviews appearing on Amazon. Some appear to relate to the gay characters in the novel, but many others seem to coincide with Facebook campaigns to “save the Expanded Universe,” related in exhausting detail on theforce.net here. TL;DR: A lot of people spent 23 years on the Expanded Universe and aren’t ready to give it up, to the point where they’re trolling any new release in The Force Awakens continuity.

What a bunch of ungrateful nerds.

I understand to a degree, after investing so much time into the original EU and whatnot. But personally, I'm looking forward to getting all these new stories without the timeline tripping all over itself anymore. Because that was definitely happening with the old EU.

Vyer

So I have been using BB-8 (Sphero) since Friday night, I have been using him on carpet and rougher outdoor spots (lockstone, etc.).

However, I used him on the hardwood and tile in my house and he seems to have issues keeping balance. He rocks back and forth after an emote for instance, or when going straight quickly and turning he looses track and ends up in an endless spin.

Is this normal?

I've seen similar. I haven't tested too much, but there does seem to be some adjustment for the gyros or whatever sensors inside it when switching between surfaces. I can't say for sure yet, but I could swear that if it's off/disconnected and then turned back on its much steadier on the new surface.

Faiz

I understand to a degree, after investing so much time into the original EU and whatnot. But personally, I'm looking forward to getting all these new stories without the timeline tripping all over itself anymore. Because that was definitely happening with the old EU.

I don't disagree with that. I had mostly given up on anything that was attempting to squeeze into the timeline.

But I wish they could have kept going with the 100+ ABY stuff, and the distant past Old Republic material.

I've seen similar. I haven't tested too much, but there does seem to be some adjustment for the gyros or whatever sensors inside it when switching between surfaces. I can't say for sure yet, but I could swear that if it's off/disconnected and then turned back on its much steadier on the new surface.

Thanks for this! I will give it a try tonight!

Lebron

Aaaaaand I'm bored of BB-8 lol.

Oh well, still don't regret it. I'll just place him in the Star Wars area with the other things.

Setzer

I think I am going to start collecting the Disney store exclusive Elite figures. I am super impressed with the Kylo Ren figure that I got.

Good to hear! I ordered this one as well. I'm hoping to get the Captain Phasma one when it comes back in stock.

styl3s

Went to 2 Targets and a Toys-R-Us today and everything was picked clean which was expected. The only thing i wanted out of this stuff was a Phasma black series and the funko stuff and i managed to get a Kylo funko at Target some goober tried to hide it in the movie section and i saw it when i was looking for the Gotham Season 1 tin. Ended up getting him, a Poe funko and my very first Star Wars Lego (and lego in general since like 1992) the new X-Wing and it scares me to death that i am gonna get addicted to these lego.

I don't much care for all the action figure stuff which is great because if i was i would be depressed that everything is sold out. I just hope i can one day get a black series phasma and phasma/bb8 funko.

I think I am going to start collecting the Disney store exclusive Elite figures. I am super impressed with the Kylo Ren figure that I got.
Now the Disney Store exclusive, that's all Disney stores right? there is one in the mall i might check out tomorrow.

Gonna be hitting up FYE tomorrow i might swing by that store. Hit up a couple Wal-Mart/Targets as well try to find a BB8/Phasma funko which sadly probably wont happen. Will probably put this X-Wing together and then take a mortgage out on my house to be able to afford the rest of them

//ARCANUM

Went to 2 Targets and a Toys-R-Us today and everything was picked clean which was expected. The only thing i wanted out of this stuff was a Phasma black series and the funko stuff and i managed to get a Kylo funko at Target some goober tried to hide it in the movie section and i saw it when i was looking for the Gotham Season 1 tin. Ended up getting him, a Poe funko and my very first Star Wars Lego (and lego in general since like 1992) the new X-Wing and it scares me to death that i am gonna get addicted to these lego.

I don't much care for all the action figure stuff which is great because if i was i would be depressed that everything is sold out. I just hope i can one day get a black series phasma and phasma/bb8 funko.

Now the Disney Store exclusive, that's all Disney stores right? there is one in the mall i might check out tomorrow.

Gonna be hitting up FYE tomorrow i might swing by that store. Hit up a couple Wal-Mart/Targets as well try to find a BB8/Phasma funko which sadly probably wont happen. Will probably put this X-Wing together and then take a mortgage out on my house to be able to afford the rest of them

FYI the Captain Phasma black series isn't really officially out yet. Some have *somehow* leaked out into stores in the initial shipment, but this was a very very very few number of them. The captain phasma black series is for wave 2 which is coming at a later date. I'm in the same boat as you, I want one too.

RobbieNick

Went to Toys R Us today and they got a restock! I managed to get a 3.75 Captain Phasma figure. FINALLY! WOO-HOO! It was the last one and way in the back. They had the X-Wing and Tie fighter vehicles that had been out of stock for awhile as well and a bunch of other toys I've never seen before.

rhino4evr

BB 8 came today. Shame that I won't be able to actually open it until Xmas day. Could only justify purchase as a gift from Santa to my daughter. Oh well

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Thought I'd get some of the small die-cast vehicles, but don't really want to spend for both types, so maybe someone here has an opinion.

Which are the better vehicles, the Hot Wheels ones with the little finger navigators stand things, or the four that come as the Black Collection with the old and new X-Wings, TIE Fighter and Falcon? It would basically cost the same to get four of the Hot Wheels as it would to get the collection, but from what I can see of them it looks like the Hot Wheels ones are slightly bigger, but somewhat less detailed. The scaling on the Hot Wheels TIE bugs me a bit too, as the struts between the cockpit and wings look too short.

FYI the Captain Phasma black series isn't really officially out yet. Some have *somehow* leaked out into stores in the initial shipment, but this was a very very very few number of them. The captain phasma black series is for wave 2 which is coming at a later date. I'm in the same boat as you, I want one too.

Thanks for clearing this up. I had no idea what in the hell was going on.

Hagi

Has anyone bought any of the Topps trading cards yet? I know the game is pretty big but I'm a sucker for collecting cards and I'd like to get some of these.

Thought I'd get some of the small die-cast vehicles, but don't really want to spend for both types, so maybe someone here has an opinion.

Which are the better vehicles, the Hot Wheels ones with the little finger navigators stand things, or the four that come as the Black Collection with the old and new X-Wings, TIE Fighter and Falcon? It would basically cost the same to get four of the Hot Wheels as it would to get the collection, but from what I can see of them it looks like the Hot Wheels ones are slightly bigger, but somewhat less detailed. The scaling on the Hot Wheels TIE bugs me a bit too, as the struts between the cockpit and wings look too short.

I've got both the Hot Wheels Millennium Falcon and the Black Series Star Destroyer. Between the two, I'd say go with the Black Series ships.

aparisi2274

Amazon screwed me over big time with the delivery of my Sphero BB-8. I ordered mine at 12:03am ET on Force Friday, and the next morning, it said "Arriving by 8pm Tuesday, 9/8" This entire weekend goes by, no changes, nothing. Today, 9/8, at 10am ET, I get an alert saying that the item never actually shipped and that if I still want it, I need to let them know, which I did.

I was so livid! How do you let 4 days go by and not update someone on a shipping status. I called their customer service, explained my frustration and the lady said that she would upgrade my 2 day shipping to overnight and drop the price to $129.99. It was a nice gesture, and I took it, but how is it that the preorder went through, you took my money, you left a delivery date on the order page, and then at the last minute, you change your tune..

I could've went and picked one up at Brookestone over the weekend, as the one near my house had like 10 of them in stock.

gsrjedi

It can depend, most of the Hot Wheels ships I've noticed have less detailing & the Titaniums will sometimes have moving parts. Sometimes the Hot Wheels look better and sometimes they don't. The Hot Wheels are a bigger size which I like. Personally I prefer the Hot Wheels. At the store looking at the new Falcon of both of them and I didn't see anything about the Titanium one that was so much more detailed that I'd want to pay $1 more for something that's smaller.

I took some comparison shots of the new TIE Fighter for both of them. Hard to tell with this ship though since it doesn't have a lot of little details.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gsrjedi/albums/72157657916591949

rhino4evr

Amazon screwed me over big time with the delivery of my Sphero BB-8. I ordered mine at 12:03am ET on Force Friday, and the next morning, it said "Arriving by 8pm Tuesday, 9/8" This entire weekend goes by, no changes, nothing. Today, 9/8, at 10am ET, I get an alert saying that the item never actually shipped and that if I still want it, I need to let them know, which I did.

I was so livid! How do you let 4 days go by and not update someone on a shipping status. I called their customer service, explained my frustration and the lady said that she would upgrade my 2 day shipping to overnight and drop the price to $129.99. It was a nice gesture, and I took it, but how is it that the preorder went through, you took my money, you left a delivery date on the order page, and then at the last minute, you change your tune..

I could've went and picked one up at Brookestone over the weekend, as the one near my house had like 10 of them in stock.

Sounds like it worked out in your favor. I would have accepted $20 off to get the item 2 days later.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Same shit happened to me, but I ordered even earlier than you.... was actually up around 11:30 pm est, my order showed it placed Sep 3rd. Got $20 store credit after emailing them since using their chat was worthless. I cancelled my order since I was randomly checking sites and Gamestop.com got a small shipment in this morning and it shipped. First time amazon.com has screwed me over since Ive been a prime member, but I basically got $20 for nothing. In chat they said it would be another 3-5 days and they will have more stock to ship to people who's orders havent shipped, but I'm not sure that rep knew wtf they were talking about.

aparisi2274

Same shit happened to me, but I ordered even earlier than you.... was actually up around 11:30 pm est, my order showed it placed Sep 3rd. Got $20 store credit after emailing them since using their chat was worthless. I cancelled my order since I was randomly checking sites and Gamestop.com got a small shipment in this morning and it shipped. First time amazon.com has screwed me over since Ive been a prime member, but I basically got $20 for nothing. In chat they said it would be another 3-5 days and they will have more stock to ship to people who's orders havent shipped, but I'm not sure that rep knew wtf they were talking about.

The rep I spoke to had no eta on when they were getting more, but just like you, ever since joining prime, I have gotten screwed over twice.

ghostmind

Has anyone bought any of the Topps trading cards yet? I know the game is pretty big but I'm a sucker for collecting cards and I'd like to get some of these.

I keep checking for the retail release, but Topps really dropped the ball on getting them into stores for Force Friday.

That said, I have 2 hobby boxes ordered which should be arriving on the 16th.

Here's some examples from collectors who have found the cards:

kjccJsF.jpg

SyaUmBZ.jpg

ghostmind

It's kind of amazing to me that those cards still look like they're straight out of 1985. Someone needs to start putting some effort into those borders. XD

They are purposely done that way as a throwback to the 80's sets.

If you want an example of what "modern" SW card sets look like, check out the new Chrome Jedi Perspectives, which was recently released.

AqV1D5m.jpg
4MOjZAy.jpg

Or the Empire Strikes Back Illustrated, which is based on the BBC radio drama, and was released in the Spring:

Qu6kUK4.jpg

Faiz

My Black Series Rey/BB-8 was just delivered from Amazon, box was totally crushed on one side since it was only packaged in a bubble wrap envelope. Would have been very easy for some piece to be damaged had it been crushed any more. I don't mind so much since I'm just taking them out and putting BB-8 on my desk and Rey on a shelf at home, but I still left Amazon some scathing packaging feedback.

[/IMG]

Collectors Edition Blu Ray? Padded mailer.

Gift card that was part of a special deal that could have easily been sent as a code in an email? Sturdy cardboard box. (A separate box from the other item(s) in the deal).

EVERY FUCKING TIME.

My local stores seem to have a severe lack of Black Series figures. Asda was the only store to have any (Rey and Finn) and the packaging looked like Chewie had sat on it. Ordered all of them apart from the Stormtrooper online for £13 each. Looks like they'll take a while to arrive though.

Rootbeer

Banned
My local stores seem to have a severe lack of Black Series figures. Asda was the only store to have any (Rey and Finn) and the packaging looked like Chewie had sat on it. Ordered all of them apart from the Stormtrooper online for £13 each. Looks like they'll take a while to arrive though.
Amazon put up everything including all of the 6" BS figures around 7PM last Thursday, just hours before Midnight Madness. It was a funny experience being in line when I learned about this. I could easily order any item other than the exclusives (of which there were few anyways.), so any worry about not getting what I wanted in store that night instantly dissipated. Sadly the restocks since last week have been very slow coming. Of the high-demand items amazon has restocked a handfull but they sell out again very fast. Supply could be catching up but it looks like it will take a while longer.

Top Bottom