• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

The best figures in the Elite series are probably the various troopers and Ren. The rest have issues with either likeness, paint app, colour choices and weight. At least the troopers look like they fell right out of the film and actually suit the use of metal being as they are armoured. The screw holes in the back are mighty unsightly.

Phasma isn't great. Looks no better than the Black series without the articulation. If she were shiny and utilised the die cast better she'd be worth it.

Better late than never (maybe. Maybe it's better never.) but here's the video from my appearance on CNN last Friday.

See if you can spot the moment where I could have (but brainfarted it) referred to myself as a "Lore Expert."

Jesus Christ, you decimated the public image of a ravenous, socially-inactive, basement-dwelling, "I own a lifesize cardboard cutout of slave Leia" Star Wars fan by being extremely informative and well-spoken. The anchor was basically shocked. "Who knew?" is pretty telling.

I'd guess anyone who isn't a huge fan and has a job like CNN anchor, or even just a majority of viewers at home, would expect literally your opposite to show up from a Star Wars podcast to give opinions on merchandising and mass appeal.

It could have been a lot worse. They could have had someone on who would appear on camera in a Darth Vader or Kylo Ren mask, holding a lightsaber and a Chewie plushie while talking about how J.J. Abrams is going to make all of their dreams come true, and how cool they think their new BB8 toy is while playing with it and making airplane noises. You know, like me.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
I got my Elite Captain Phasma in the mail and I'm not to impressed with it. The heaviness is really nice but it makes it hard to pose her because her chest is so top heavy. I'll post some pictures later.

You can say that again.

I bought her off the UK Disney store over the weekend, and at first after just looking at her in the box I was thinking of picking up the Ren and a couple of troopers from the line.

After the 5 minutes of untwisting wires to free her from her box before getting fed up and just cutting the fuck out of the package to free her, I put her on her base only to fuck with her another 5 minutes just trying to get her to be slightly posed without falling backwards.

Her head, hands and feet are plastic, her joints are plastic, her armor is all die-cast. Little plastic feet, with little plastic ankle joints, with die-cast legs, torso and arms, so posing her is like trying to balance an egg on the back of a teaspoon.I found splaying her feet out so she stands like a duck keeps her from falling over, but I still have her braced against the corner of a shelf for now. Most disappointing thing was her gun didn't fit onto her leg, even the little 3.75 inch figure I picked up last Friday can do that.

In the end I wished I kept her in the box. I do plan on picking up all the Captain Phasma figures/statues I can get though, not since Boba Fett have I loved a design like this one from the Star Wars universe.

Jesus Christ, you decimated the public image of a ravenous, socially-inactive, basement-dwelling, "I own a lifesize cardboard cutout of slave Leia" Star Wars fan by being extremely informative and well-spoken. The anchor was basically shocked. "Who knew?" is pretty telling.

Degree of difficulty: That's actually my basement. It's where the studio is.

edit: and they asked me to set dress it a little, and the only Star Wars stuff I actually had nearby were the laserdiscs.

I'm old.

Degree of difficulty: That's actually my basement. It's where the studio is.

edit: and they asked me to set dress it a little, and the only Star Wars stuff I actually had nearby were the laserdiscs.

I'm old.

Yeah, I think that's quite a bit different than what I meant, although a quick Google search shows me that there are some pretty cool Star Wars basements out there. I just mean more what they probably expected versus what they got. I wouldn't be surprised if you got asked back. It's funny that the description I gave of an over-merchandised guest and background is actually kinda what they wanted.

Bii

Star Wars Darth Vader Force Fx Lightsaber $125 at amazon, regular price $150!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SD8IHU6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I guess it went back up to $149.99.

Here's my little Force Friday haul:

y9qAq0l.jpg

Ordered everything from Amazon save for the LEGO set, which my brother gave to me for my birthday. I think I'm going to try and get the rest of the 6" Black Series figures. I want everything, though. :/

RobbieNick

Target exclusive BB-8....$80.

Using it to chase your chihuahua around the kitchen/living room?....Priceless.

I'm really loving this remote BB-8 even if it isn't as fancy as the Sphero one, half the price and 3X the size helps. The biggest drawback is that the remote if very "RF" and requires you to point it at BB-8 at all times or it will disconnect. Also, steering him takes a bit of getting used to. His head can come off at times but usually only if you hit a wall pretty fast so it's not a big deal. I bought a few more SW thing and used the $25 coupon so really he cost me about $55 if I consider it in that regard. Well worth it.

You aren't safe under the chair anymore Petey. MUAHAHAHAAA!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think I'm gonna return my BB-8 when I pick up Super Mario Maker tomorrow. Not only is it not compatible with my phone (Moto G 2015), but apparently a gyroscope is required for the app to even work, which the Moto G doesn't have, it seems. I really don't want to wait only to find out that the thing is never going to work. If things change later on, I can always re-buy.

Hex

Banned
Not sure if these have been seen yet.
Apparently KMart is getting an exclusive Black Series 6" Kylo Ren
Will be available for pre-order soon.
The base will connect with a second exclusive to be released later
Zt5yzE9.jpg

REe1zBd.jpg

With Kmart dying all around this one could be a keeper

Zt5yzE9.jpg

REe1zBd.jpg

Well.. I need this.

What's the retail price?

RobbieNick

In order to get the $25 off at Target, I had to buy a little something extra, so I got the vinyl Stormtrooper helmets that you put your own paint design on for $20. I'm having fun with that right now.

Zt5yzE9.jpg

REe1zBd.jpg

THAT is the Kylo Ren figure I'm going to get.

Better late than never (maybe. Maybe it's better never.) but here's the video from my appearance on CNN last Friday.

See if you can spot the moment where I could have (but brainfarted it) referred to myself as a "Lore Expert."
Hey that was awesome! You did a good job, but considering your pod cast, I'm not surprised. :)

Hagi

I bought some model kits from Amazon UK now that all the Japanese sites are removing them from their international sites. Got the 1/72 X-Wing, 1/72 Tie Fighter and the 1/12 RD-D2 and R5-D4 set. Looking forward to putting R2 next to my figuarts Luke.

Rootbeer

Banned
I really want that KMart exclusive Kylo Ren... going through a lot of the star wars items on their site though, a lot of it is not available for shipping. I have a bad feeling about their stock numbers.

-griffy-

Banned
So, that new Kylo figure makes me think there must be a reason the regular Black Series figure's light saber looks the way it does, since it's clear there isn't a logistical toy-making reason the saber couldn't look "normal" like the K-mart version.
kylo-ren-6inch-blackseries.jpg

C-Drive

So, that new Kylo figure makes me think there must be a reason the regular Black Series figure's light saber looks the way it does, since it's clear there isn't a logistical toy-making reason the saber couldn't look "normal" like the K-mart version.

Speculative Spoiler?

That would be a pretty awesome scene if the "hilt-blades" start flowing/charging up into the main saber, pushing it to some sort of overdrive mode.

Got my die cast Phasma, X-Wing and TIE Fighter yesterday. Love them, really good quality for the price too.

I got Poe's X-Wing from them yesterday and like it overall, but am a little disappointed that the landing gear pieces keep falling out. I'm tempted to glue them in place as this is just something to keep on my desk but I'm curious how common that is.

http://www.starwarspost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/kylo-ren-6inch-blackseries.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I assumed the reason for the fused blades was specifically a logistical toy-making one: so that the blades could be removed in one piece and allow for un-ignited poses without having to keep track of 1 long blade and 2 tiny little blades. It does look a little corny though.

-griffy-

Banned
I assumed the reason for the fused blades was specifically a logistical toy-making one: so that the blades could be removed in one piece and allow for un-ignited poses without having to keep track of 1 long blade and 2 tiny little blades. It does look a little corny though.

Someone else will have to speak up since I don't have the figure, but I don't think the blade comes off that hilt. I figured it was more a structural integrity thing, like the cross guard blades needed more support or they would break off easily. That K-mart figure seems to debunk that though.

Cheebo

Banned
Someone else will have to speak up since I don't have the figure, but I don't think the blade comes off that hilt. I figured it was more a structural integrity thing, like the cross guard blades needed more support or they would break off easily. That K-mart figure seems to debunk that though.
It does come off the hilt.

I got Poe's X-Wing from them yesterday and like it overall, but am a little disappointed that the landing gear pieces keep falling out. I'm tempted to glue them in place as this is just something to keep on my desk but I'm curious how common that is.
I bought this X-Wing and am having the same problem as you. Two of the three pieces fit, but only one of them does it well. The third piece does not fit at all and always falls out, which means I have to slowly lower the ship onto the landing gear to display it. Ridiculous.

Okay, so maybe it is just a dumb toy thing (we need that new trailer so I can stop overanalyzing toys).

Lol we're all in the same boat and I'm loving it. Are they cross guards? Are they energy vents? Will the blades fuse together at some point? I can't wait to find out.

I bought this X-Wing and am having the same problem as you. Two of the three pieces fit, but only one of them does it well. The third piece does not fit at all and always falls out, which means I have to slowly lower the ship onto the landing gear to display it. Ridiculous.

Dang, it stinks that it seems to be a wide spread issue but I am sort of glad it isn't just me. Oh well, it's still a solid display piece for the price. I was fairly impressed otherwise. I kind of wonder if there is a display stand for it that would hold it up with the wings expanded.

Being as the X-Wing (and the TIE) were really the only toys/collectables I was thinking about getting this year, hearing that the X-Wings basically fall apart in some form, guaranteed, makes me a little unhappy.

But then again, I've been spending more money than I thought I'd be on games these past few weeks anyway, so at least I'm not going deeper in the hole in my neverending pursuit of eternal adolescence.

Being as the X-Wing (and the TIE) were really the only toys/collectables I was thinking about getting this year, hearing that the X-Wings basically fall apart in some form, guaranteed, makes me a little unhappy.

But then again, I've been spending more money than I thought I'd be on games these past few weeks anyway, so at least I'm not going deeper in the hole in my neverending pursuit of eternal adolescence.
Just get the LEGO Sex Wing then. If it falls apart you can just rebuild it.

Top Bottom