• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

Yeah, when WA mentioned he would need a much bigger house, I just looked straight ahead in my own house and pictures a SD in my own house taking up my living room and kitchen and it didn't seem like scale there. I knew someone would get the specifics. So we would need 1 1/2 American football fields.

Hey guys, don't mean to derail the thread, but made a kylo ren costume for my dog. Here are a few pictures:

I took these at a park, and I wanted to bring my black series figures and put them around him to make him a leader...i didnt have time. Maybe I will just do that in my apartment. I have all the black series figures and most of the vehicles.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. Tips to make it better? Merch that I could buy? Thanks!

Here are more pics:

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/rightchandman/media/kylo dug/dugKR8_zpsbn2dx38u.jpg.html

Finally got my figures set up on shelves.

4Y8YA6x.jpg

I have supported this film. I hope we get a sequel.

I bet they have made more money just on merchandise before the movie is out than 70% of the movies released this year. I think I'm being conservative there.

Cheebo

Banned
I expect Age of Ultron made a fair bit of cash, but the amount of merchandise bought by adults is probably incomparable.
Based on yearly Star Wars merchandise sales in non-movie years alone, no. The Force Awakens merchandise is going to be bigger than any current films worldwide box office gross this year.

Star Wars merchandise is a multi-billion dollar business. Star Wars is consistently the #1 top selling "boys" toy brand, even in non-movie years. Star Wars has always brought more revenue into Lucasfilm from merchandising than box office gross.

In 2012, a year of no Star Wars movies Star Wars was the #2 top selling toy brand selling $1.6 billion worth of toys that year. Only behind Disney Princesses. 1.6 billion in a lean year, that alone is more than Ultron made. 2015 will easily be well over $2 billion in Star Wars toy sales.
http://www.mcngmarketing.com/how-disney-princesses-became-a-multi-billion-dollar-brand/#.Vk28PKkrKRs

Now that we are getting yearly movies Star Wars could be seeing 2-3 billion a year consistently in toy sales every year.

Rootbeer

Banned
Never fails. Someone always asks.

Well if you look at the packaging it says "Vader (Emperor's Wrath)" Look earlier in this thread for pics

So think about that. Watch Return of the Jedi again if you still aren't sure :)

was trying to find hera/sabine figures for my kids this morning (fruitlessly, natch)

Got to say I was pretty tempted by a TFA figure called x wing pilot asty, that guy was really cool.

Ruze789

was trying to find hera/sabine figures for my kids this morning (fruitlessly, natch)

Got to say I was pretty tempted by a TFA figure called x wing pilot asty, that guy was really cool.

I never saw Sabine in a store, our 5 year old daughter loves the girls in Rebels and we've been searching for Sabine since the first Rebels toys came out. We did see a Hera/Stormtrooper 2-pack once, which we got.

I'm glad you managed to grab one!

I did see that twinpack in a nearby supermarket a while back but we didn't watch rebels until it was released on DVD so it wasn't really that significant at the time.

Now i'm kind of haunted by all the stuff I passed on.

I feel the same way about almost the entire Black Series line. I passed on the whole thing (except a Boba Fett) up until the beginning of this spring, and have been buying the figures I like since then. Bummed I skipped out on so many early ones.

I never saw Sabine in a store, our 5 year old daughter loves the girls in Rebels and we've been searching for Sabine since the first Rebels toys came out. We did see a Hera/Stormtrooper 2-pack once, which we got.

I'm glad you managed to grab one!

I did see that twinpack in a nearby supermarket a while back but we didn't watch rebels until it was released on DVD so it wasn't really that significant at the time.

Now i'm kind of haunted by all the stuff I passed on.

Rootbeer

Banned
the first order tie pilot could also be a special forces tie pilot. not sure what the odds are but some people are getting that one

Vyer

I wish I could have known those ultimate fx light sabers were going to become more valuable. We bought Luke and Obi for my son a couple years back. They were only 35 bucks back then and awesome. And way better than any of the new stuff I've seen (in person) so far.

robochimp

I wish I could have known those ultimate fx light sabers were going to become more valuable. We bought Luke and Obi for my son a couple years back. They were only 35 bucks back then and awesome. And way better than any of the new stuff I've seen (in person) so far.

Back when the economy collapsed Amazon was selling force fx light sabers for $50.

So, had a Batman/Catwoman Hush Kiss statue that I wasn't really attached to and the price of it was getting high and I'm really into the Star Wars Hot Toys right now so I traded the statue in at the LCS and got Obi-Wan and Captain Phasma Black Series with no cost to me.

2lJhFPV.jpg

So, had a Batman/Catwoman Hush Kiss statue that I wasn't really attached to and the price of it was getting high and I'm really into the Star Wars Hot Toys right now so I traded the statue in at the LCS and got Obi-Wan and Captain Phasma Black Series with no cost to me.

That was a dope statue. You're going to regret that one when the novelty of Hot Toys wears off.

That was a dope statue. You're going to regret that one when the novelty of Hot Toys wears off.

Maybe for you but I would get rid of all my statues if I could represent them all with Hot Toys. I like them so much better. Love articulating them, love the real cloth, love the detail. There is no going back, I'm Hot Toy exclusive from here on out. I have even taken a lot of my talk over to Sideshow Freaks.

Hope this doesn't get buried.

I'm currently looking for some new books, so why not try Star Wars again ^^

Any recommendations of canon books leading up to The Force Awakens?

None of the novels are really good. There is a 4 part comic by Greg Rucka called Journey to the Force Awakens. The main Star Wars book Jason Aaron and Darth Vader by Gillion are really good but don't lead into Force Awakens.

Bii

None of the novels are really good. There is a 4 part comic by Greg Rucka called Journey to the Force Awakens. The main Star Wars book Jason Aaron and Darth Vader by Gillion are really good but don't lead into Force Awakens.

I don't necessarily agree with that statement. I've only read the three Young Adult novels that was released in September: Moving Target, The Weapon of a Jedi, and Smuggler's Run. Moving Target was a bit boring and predictable (though that's a given in this genre of books). Weapon of a Jedi was interesting enough but Smuggler's Run is definitely a fun read, which is written by Greg Rucka. These books don't directly lead up to The Force Awakens but does have bits and pieces that may relate to the film in some way.

So, I would recommend reading Smuggler's Run which follows a story about Chewie and Han. The other two can be skipped.

Tirod

I absolutely recommend Lost Stars by Claudia Gray. It's classified as a Young Adult novel but don't let that turn you away from picking it up. It is by far the best written novel released under the "Road to Force Awakens" banner. It's also got one of the craziest conclusions (in a good way!) I've had the pleasure to read in awhile. You'll grow to love Thane and Cienna.

I'd also recommend, though to a lesser extent, Aftermath by Chuck Wendig. This book gets piled on for the author's writing style (lots of short sentences and uhh...interesting vocabulary) and lots of perspective jumping (I think you bounce between like 6 character perspectives? Maybe more.) but there IS a great story underneath and I enjoyed it despite its issues. Mister Bones is also amazing.

Hi Star Wars GAF. :] I like to lurk but not post much.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
The Kylo Ren Force FX lightsaber is pretty cheap with stacked Target coupons right now:

http://www.target.com/p/-/A-16966758

Download the Target Wish List app and sign in. Once signed in, you'll see a 10% coupon at the bottom.

Then use the following coupons:

TOYS
TGT26RYS (or TGTA39R9)
TGTKZN2T

Total is around $127. Can be cheaper if you use a red card, around $120 or less.

There's also the Darth Vader one but almost sold out, 2 left:

http://www.target.com/p/star-wars-the-black-series-darth-vader-force-fx-lightsaber/-/A-17146585

Simo

The Kylo Ren Force FX lightsaber is pretty cheap with stacked Target coupons right now:

http://www.target.com/p/-/A-16966758

Download the Target Wish List app and sign in. Once signed in, you'll see a 10% coupon at the bottom.

Then use the following coupons:

TOYS
TGT26RYS (or TGTA39R9)
TGTKZN2T

Total is around $127. Can be cheaper if you use a red card, around $120 or less.

There's also the Darth Vader one but almost sold out, 2 left:

http://www.target.com/p/star-wars-the-black-series-darth-vader-force-fx-lightsaber/-/A-17146585

Nice! Took advantage of Target's promotions and picked up the Kylo Ren ForceFX saber and Black version helmet.

Man, I want that helmet, but I already have the mask and with the hood, it negates the helmet anyways. The helmet is more detailed and has shinier chrome.

Simo

Yeah but with the helmet you could drop the hood anytime and still look awesome.
tumblr_nwhzi6SPGg1sdhuzuo1_500.gif

HT_star_wars3_ml_151020_4x3_992.jpg

I will say the voice changer surprised me. Seeing some YouTube videos I was a little dubious of it but actually trying it out and messing around with the pitch I found it to be quite cool actually and not nearly as muffled as some of the videos. My dogs hated me though. lol

Top Bottom