• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

It is. The problem is a lot of the figures have already had single carded releases, so many people already own several of the figures included init.

But, if you don't, then yes get it if it interests you. Just keep in mind those are the 3.75 inch figures with 5 points of articulation. Basically, Hasbro's standard 'basic' action figures for Star Wars.

I can only speak for myself, but I tend to prefer the 6" scale figures for the better articulation. I do have a number of the 3.75 figures though.
thanks, these are my first star wars figures. somebody recommended the 6" TFA to me as well on Macross World. i'm going to looking to those.

mjc

Was grabbing some stuff at Target today and noticed all the black series figures they had were Finns. Like seven of them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Was grabbing some stuff at Target today and noticed all the black series figures they had were Finns. Like seven of them.

Around here the major stores are about 50% nothing and 45% just Finn and/or Constable Not-In-The-Movie.
Finn is actually a pretty good figure when he's not in the weird pose they package him in.

womp

Yeah, Finn's pretty good. Good likeness to John Boyega.

I think the problem isn't the likeness or sculpt, but that he is just kind of....boring....he's a guy in a coat and black pants with a blaster. Compare that with most of the other line and he just doesn't stand out much or well...I'm thinking that is why they sold Poe in the two pack with the Riot Trooper after noticing Finn wasn't flying off the shelves, especially since he is wearing the same coat for that matter. IMO a HUGE mistake was also not including Luke's lightsaber with the figure too. You cannot recreate Finn's battle with Kylo nor have anyone for Kylo to fight against either...and since it was in the trailer, it isn't even a spoiler. That I will never understand. It seems like Hasbro has been getting more stingy with the accessories included these days. Real shame.

Zuvio is another story, I mean, the character isn't even in the film so there is nothing there at all to connect with. Zuvio, Finn and the Guavian Soldiers are huge peg warmers around here.

I think the problem isn't the likeness or sculpt, but that he is just kind of....boring....he's a guy in a coat and black pants with a blaster. Compare that with most of the other line and he just doesn't stand out much or well...I'm thinking that is why they sold Poe in the two pack with the Riot Trooper after noticing Finn wasn't flying off the shelves, especially since he is wearing the same coat for that matter. IMO a HUGE mistake was also not including Luke's lightsaber with the figure too. You cannot recreate Finn's battle with Kylo nor have anyone for Kylo to fight against either...and since it was in the trailer, it isn't even a spoiler. That I will never understand. It seems like Hasbro has been getting more stingy with the accessories included these days. Real shame.

I cheated and gave him Luke's lightsaber.

When you consider Rey gets her staff and BB-8 they could have bundled the lightsaber in as well.

Experien

Walked by my Target store and just glanced at the black figures...

4 Constables, 1 Finn, 1 FO Trooper, 1 Kylo, 1 Resistance Fighter.

Snaku

Banned
Don't really know why they're still trying to sell Zuvios, he's not in the movie and just taking up shelf space at this point. Nobody wants him.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah lots of Zuvio... good figure, but no screen time ruins it. Nobody cares who he is.

Stores ordered lots of Phasma cases in the wake of her demand and Zuvio just started piling up. They are gonna stick around a while, just like Slave Leia did, and Greedo.

Good news is if you have the funds you can just order full cases of assortments and get the figures you want. No waiting for your local stores to hopefully stock them, which is feeling less likely when there's unwanted figures piling up.

My 6" figure case containing Ello Asty, Hux, and the Snowtrooper (not the officer Snowtrooper) is preparing for shipping now. The other cases of figures which contain 6" Ahsoka, Kanan, A New Hope farmboy Luke, Old Man Han, Flametrooper, Finn in stormtrooper gear and more should ship in February if things stay on schedule.

Don't really know why they're still trying to sell Zuvios, he's not in the movie and just taking up shelf space at this point. Nobody wants him.

Late scratch from the movie. Hasbro produces these things way in advance, so there's no way for them to do anything about it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not sure if mentioned but Hot Toys Rey/Rey & BB-8 is getting some extra accessories.

Force Awakens spoilers if you haven't seen it by now (who hasn't seen it by now?!)

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/blog/hot-toys-star-wars-the-force-awakens-rey-collectible-figure-new-accessories-added/

There was just a thing on NPR about a theater in Oregon that's the only theater within 100+ miles for some people. They still haven't gotten their DCP for TFA. They're showing it soon, though. (and all of the other movies)

Caode

Preordered her, Finn and Phasma.

I've got Kylo on the way sometime in the next month or so. Gonna go for Rey & BB-8... and I'll get Finn but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra bit of money to go for the legend himself 'TR-8R' bundled with Finn.

Boke1879

I've got Kylo on the way sometime in the next month or so. Gonna go for Rey & BB-8... and I'll get Finn but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra bit of money to go for the legend himself 'TR-8R' bundled with Finn.

I honestly would have gotten him with "TR-8R" but Phasma, and Rey are already gonna hit the pocketbook. Hopefully they sell the riot trooper separate

mjc

Can anybody help with information on when stores will restock the Black Series toys. Im new to Star Wars stuff and all i have is a storm trooper.

I've noticed locally that Targets and Walmarts are getting restocks every now and again, you just gotta catch them before they get depleted.

I've noticed locally that Targets and Walmarts are getting restocks every now and again, you just gotta catch them before they get depleted.

I went to a Meijer's one night and saw a bunch of them and just bought the normal Storm Trooper because i thought it looked super dope. But now i want Kylo, Phasma and maybe Rey. I mostly just want bad guys. Is Boba Fett still a thing on store shelves or are people still overall obsessed with him?

Im a long Star Wars fan, but this is my first time buying toys for the series for some reason. Maybe its because im an adult? lol. The only thing ive collected was the Pepsi cans with all the characters on them back in 1999.

EDIT: Let me ask you guys this. I see that there are "Waves" on sites like entertainment earth, with Wave 5 being the latest set of figures. Does this mean that ive missed out on figures from previous Waves like Rey and Chewie?

TAJ

I ordered the Bandai 1/12th scale R2-D2/R5-D4 2-pack and C-3PO. I'm planning to paint the astromechs (metallics, gloss white and clearcoat) but not weather them.

EDIT: Let me ask you guys this. I see that there are "Waves" on sites like entertainment earth, with Wave 5 being the latest set of figures. Does this mean that ive missed out on figures from previous Waves like Rey and Chewie?

I've seen Rey and Chewie get restocked just in the last week. Boba Fett is long gone.

EDIT: Rey is in stock on Amazon right now. $2 more than I paid at Target this week, though.

Thanks guys, your allot of help. It seems the walgreenes in my area seem to have a pretty healthy selection of black series figures if your interested. I found a Rey there with some Storm Troopers, Palpatine, and the Han/Luke Storm Troopers. Seems like all the big places are cleaned out like toys r us and wall marts. Im new to this so i appreciate the help!

my 3.75 TFA figures came in from amazon:

some pics:

1vQa4T5.jpg
I3verZO.jpg
G0bICRk.jpg

Boke1879

With the move of Episode VIII to December 2017, I'm thinking that the September "Force Friday" is going to become an annual thing.

As it should really. With 2017 being the 40th anniversary. They can easily make it a year long event and use it as another opportunity to give it the same hype they did for TFA. i don't think they can lose in this situation.

With the move of Episode VIII to December 2017, I'm thinking that the September "Force Friday" is going to become an annual thing.

Was it originally a summer 17 release? Because im totally cool with star wars being a holliday thing. Summer is too much of a crowded time for movies.

Was it originally a summer 17 release? Because im totally cool with star wars being a holliday thing. Summer is too much of a crowded time for movies.

Episodes 1 through 6 were all May release dates, and Episode 7 was supposed to be as well, but had to be pushed back to production delays (including the one month break in production due to Harrison Ford breaking his leg when the door to the Falcon crashed down on him).

I suspect that Disney loves the numbers Episode 7 is pulling in with a December release, and figured they might as well stick with a good thing and allow another of their releases (Pirates of the Caribbean in this case) have the summer popcorn flick release date.

Fine by me. I like the idea of Star Wars kind being associated with the holidays. Plus i'm sure it makes sense to have a ton of merch blowing up around then from a sales prospective.

I went to my Disney Store today just for shits and they had no Black Series stuff. Just a bunch (if not all) of the Elite Series figures. Not for me, but they seemed pretty quality. Helmetless Kylo was neat.

Anth0ny

You know, I think I've decided to just start collecting the standard, common, 3.75 inch Star Wars figures. It's real nice because:

1. They're small and don't take up a lot of space. My main concern is with space at the moment.

2. I can walk into any toy store near me and find them stocked, which is a nice change of pace from ordering online or, in many cases, importing from Japan. Which means...

3. They're cheap! But cheap in a good way. With the Canadian dollar in the state it's in, I can't be dropping $100+ on figures or statues.

I've been hesitant for years because I remember these toys looking like compete, cheaply made shit. Even as a kid I wished they would make better looking toys. Well, what was once this:

XW7YqCu.jpg

became this:

LTJJBbF.jpg

and NOW looks like this:

I don't know about yall but that looks pretty fucking good for $15 Canadian. Sure, I'd love to own the SH Figuarts ROTJ Luke, but for $100... ehhhhh.

Bring on the $15 toys, Hasbro :)

TAJ

I've gotten 6" for as low as $12 new (US) and I've heard that the earliest waves of OT figures were $10 at one point. 3.75" Black are at least $13. The 3.75" Kylo is actually more expensive than the 6" on Amazon right now.
Bespin Luke, X-Wing Pilot Luke and Boba Fett are the only real sticking points for me at 1/12th. Artoo is expensive but the Bandai kit is way better and much cheaper. Darth Maul and Anakin are expensive (except the bootlegs) but I hate the prequels. I'm glad got ANH Han for a good price ($25 in a 2-pack w/ Greedo, which is a great figure) because the price on that has been climbing fast lately.

Boke1879

Got a friend buying me this.

RaSZ3f5.jpg

She's getting it from Sideshow. Up for preorder now. Says it'll ship between this and next month. Anyone know how accurate that is?

Aside from that I'll be buying myself Phasma, Finn and Rey. All Hot toys and I think i'll be set.

womp

You know, I think I've decided to just start collecting the standard, common, 3.75 inch Star Wars figures. It's real nice because:

1. They're small and don't take up a lot of space. My main concern is with space at the moment.

2. I can walk into any toy store near me and find them stocked, which is a nice change of pace from ordering online or, in many cases, importing from Japan. Which means...

3. They're cheap! But cheap in a good way. With the Canadian dollar in the state it's in, I can't be dropping $100+ on figures or statues.

I've been hesitant for years because I remember these toys looking like compete, cheaply made shit. Even as a kid I wished they would make better looking toys. Well, what was once this:

became this:

and NOW looks like this:

I don't know about yall but that looks pretty fucking good for $15 Canadian. Sure, I'd love to own the SH Figuarts ROTJ Luke, but for $100... ehhhhh.

Bring on the $15 toys, Hasbro :)

I am still kind of kicking myself a bit for selling my classic Kenner figures a couple years ago. Mainly because I let them go dirt cheap even though I knew their value. I had collected them back in the early 90's on a nostalgia trip after losing my originals in a move in my teens during the 80's.

They had been sitting in a box individually wrapped, all with their weapons in baggies and between 8-10 on a 1-10 scale of condition. I had about 8 of those Luke Jedi's alone...about 100 figures total...plus the 30 carded ones.

After having them sitting in a closet for over 20 years I just kind of snapped and said "F it...these are doing me no good" and turning 40 at the time made me clean house with this kind of stuff and getting rid of things that were laying around. Plus, I wanted to build a new PC and selling them did that (The PC is used daily by my family). I loved them dearly, but I realized that the memories I had won't ever leave me and I don't need the physical toys to make me realize that....plus my 6 year old at the time didn't care about Star Wars...of course now at 8 and seeing Force Awakens he is suddenly a Star Wars freak *SIGH*.

I guess what I was saying is, if I had had these still I'd of been more than happy to have hooked you up with a few to get you started.

Damnit, now I am kind of sad. Good luck in your adventure because the prices have gotten ridiculous these days, especially with the success of Force Awakens. Back then most of my sales and trades were done on the old rec.arts.starwars collecting newsgroup and local toy conventions at motels.

TAJ

I should sell off some of my vintage stuff, at least the stuff I bought in the late-80s and early-'90s as a collector.
I have almost every figure. Only a few are on cards... Amanaman, A-Wing Pilot and Lando (General) I think are the only ones. I had a carded Imperial Dignitary but I gave it to a friend. Tons of vehicles, too.

It amazes me that I keep seeing all these new characters coming out under the 6" black series line online but have yet to see a single one in person. I'm thinking about just getting into Lego ships instead lol. I wish hasbro would ship more because if this wave passes up with Phasma in it I'll be super bummed.

Rootbeer

Banned
The 6" figures from Hasbro are not easy to find in the wild, no. Right now your best bet might be Walmart as they seem to be getting the most of them at retail. Online you can find a spotty selection of them at various stores. Amazon has had Rey and Kylo in stock for a week, which was rare up until now.

I've just been ordering entire cases of the figures online because it's the only reliable way to make sure I can collect them all. Unfortunately, even that method does not make you immune. Just last week my regular retailer had one of my cases delayed from January... to April. That is how behind Hasbro is in getting these on the shelves. Some sellers are being completely left out in the cold as stock is tight.

Meanwhile, other companies like LEGO are mostly able to meet the demand. Peo's X-Wing is a bit hard to find, but apart from that it's easy pickings.

Hasbro needs to get serious about investing in expanding their manufacturing if they are going to try to keep up with Star Wars in the coming years. I think they are just stretched too thin, as they have Marvel and Transformers being big sellers as well that they have to churn out.

It amazes me that I keep seeing all these new characters coming out under the 6" black series line online but have yet to see a single one in person. I'm thinking about just getting into Lego ships instead lol. I wish hasbro would ship more because if this wave passes up with Phasma in it I'll be super bummed.

Don't worry too much, Phasma's in multiple future waves as well. There's a revision of Wave 2 coming out, as well as 2016 Wave 1 (the one with old Han and Jango Fett), and she's in both of those. It may be some time before she's easily found on store shelves, but she'll get there.

Top Bottom