• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Anybody have any tell tale signs of a star wars figure being a fake? Im specifically talking about the 6" Black Series ones as there seems to be way too many fakes out there on ebay and even amazon judging by the reviews. I want a Darth Vader and i figured i would ask you guys since you guys know your stuff.

I'm pretty new to this. I avoid items that have the manufacturer listed as "By Generic" and items listed at waaaaay under the going rate. Like there were Black Series Darth Mauls on Amazon for $26 a few days ago.
Just wanted to say that the Bandai Vader kit is at $23 shipped on Amazon today. That's about as low as it gets and it looks better, IMO.

I own the ones you linked. Got them on Force Friday at Target. Never seen the ones pictured above in this thread but they look great too

Got a walgreens nearby? A lot of them are stocking this Vader variant right now, which is 100% genuine and only $20. If you don't mind the electricuted helmet. If you are into customizing, you can paint the helmet (it's actually a different -- and arguably much better -- helmet sculpt from the first 6" BS Vader)

Other than that the best I can tell you is you should spend some time googling "black series bootleg" and you will find tons of videos and pics to help you. Some of the bootlegs are very very close to the originals even including the packaging. Maul is a popular bootleg right now because they did a pretty decent job.

I'm fortunate in that I started collecting these 6" figures when the line first started so I have gotten every one of them at MSRP. So I don't have experience with the bootlegs

Yeah i've seen the clear helmet Vader pretty much at all my Walgreens but i find it to be a little goofy looking. Ive also watched some videos of people reviewing bootlegs and they are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Some times the bar code will read something different from what i can tell. But damn these bootleg packaging are spot on, with the figures being very close as well.
I'm pretty new to this. I avoid items that have the manufacturer listed as "By Generic" and items listed at waaaaay under the going rate. Like there were Black Series Darth Mauls on Amazon for $26 a few days ago.
Just wanted to say that the Bandai Vader kit is at $23 shipped on Amazon today. That's about as low as it gets and it looks better, IMO.

Thanks man ill look into the Bandai Vader because it does look pretty good. I'm still hoping for a Black series one to keep it consistent though. Its a shame that amazon is littered with fakes nowadays.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Bandai kits are to scale with Black Series. They have a lot of parts, though. They went a little crazy with the detail, too. There's a shitload of detail under a panel on the Threepio's back with chromed and clear parts that you only see for a few seconds in ESB.

Boke1879

Ordered Black Series Phasma from Amazon. Finally. Sheesh.

Welcome to the club lol. Right now I have Flametrooper and Jango Fett Black series coming in Thursday. I want to get ST Finn.

I recently just bought the Figuarts FO Stormtrooper, and now I'm looking to buy the Figuarts Kylo Ren. Hoping I can get Phasma later as well.

After all that. I'm getting the Hot Toys Phasma, Rey and Finn. Then I'm done after that as far as toys go. Unless I see some interesting figures in the wild. I like where my collection is at and how it'll look when I have all those.

TAJ

I looked at some repaints of that Walgreens Vader and they're nice. The biggest probems with the other Black Series one were that it had a fat head and basically no neck and that's mostly solved. Too bad it's been impossible to find around here since it first came out.

Someone was selling a replacement head based on the Bandai kit that's made to snap onto a Black Series body, but looks like it's discontinued?
http://castingcave.ecrater.com/p/23650413/bandai-darthfitted-for-black-series#

Anth0ny

oh god, for a noob this stuff is hard to keep track of.

I just want a 3.75 inch Kylo Ren, and a simple search brings up:

Normal version
Snow Mission Armor Up version
Black Series

Question 1: Are there more 3.75 inch Kylo Rens? Is there an organized website with everything from the TFA line I can look at?

Question 2: Which one is the best? They all seem to be about the same price (~$15 Canadian)

Any help is appreciated :)

oh god, for a noob this stuff is hard to keep track of.

I just want a 3.75 inch Kylo Ren, and a simple search brings up:

Normal version
Snow Mission Armor Up version
Black Series

Question 1: Are there more 3.75 inch Kylo Rens? Is there an organized website with everything from the TFA line I can look at?

Question 2: Which one is the best? They all seem to be about the same price (~$15 Canadian)

Any help is appreciated :)

If your just want a figure of Kylo Ren then just go with the Black series version. The normal version is just a standard figure with 5 points of articulation, is made up of all plastic, and is on a single carded packaging. The armored version is pretty much the same but comes with some armor gear to put on him. The Black Series is made up of a mixture of plastic and cloth, and has more articulation with his elbows being able to move. The Black series is most expensive, but if its pretty much the same price then absolutely go with the Black Series.

EDIT: Heres some shots of a custom walgreens Darth Vader paint job. Looks super good actually.
http://thefwoosh.com/2016/02/hasbro-emperors-wrath-darth-vader-with-custom-painted-head

Dead

well not really...yet
Picked this bad boy up today:

5DP81zR.jpg

Box a little dented at the top but didn't want to be an asshole and ask the sales clerk to get me another one :lol

TAJ

My assembled Bandai Threepio with some scale reference.
I never noticed that he had little Wolverine claws until I built this.

Yarbskoo

This month we take a look at something a bit more unusual: The Action Fleet Series Alpha Royal Starship.
bRB0lqw.png

Apparently this thing is a bit rare to find new in the box like this. Oh well, it can't be helped. Let's set it free.
ndfj93s.png
uaEQv8z.png

Unlike the previous Series Alpha sets, which had the normal full size version of the final design along with a smaller representation of the concept vehicle, the later series featured the alpha concept as the main vehicle, with the film version as a smaller model with no special features. Unlike the final film ship, the concept version features armaments in the form of two independently rotating blaster cannons.
I3b1JfC.png

The upper section of the ship lifts up and away and snaps into position, moving a little R2-D2 along a track into position next to the unusual bucket shaped seat.
OiFRYNm.png
qIAaZYX.png

The most striking visual aspect of the vehicle is, of course, the chrome paint. The concept also includes a matte blue color in its design, with a stripe down the center as well as on the cockpit and engines.
qU58rAj.png
V3AzgAa.png

As an alternative to the stand, the toy also features some fairly detailed landing gear.
bxfqd1m.png

The design of the ship evokes 1950s hood ornaments, while the offset cockpit was meant to be a tribute to the Millennium Falcon.
nQP8qEK.png

As usual, the included figure is tiny but detailed. In this case, it's based on an early concept of the chief pilot Ric Olié.
oafsQ6j.png

Overall, it's a unique model that makes a great display piece thanks to its shiny finish, as long as you can resist putting greasy fingerprints all over it.

Tom_Cody

This month we take a look at something a bit more unusual: The Action Fleet Series Alpha Royal Starship.
bRB0lqw.png

Apparently this thing is a bit rare to find new in the box like this. Oh well, it can't be helped. Let's set it free.
ndfj93s.png
uaEQv8z.png

Unlike the previous Series Alpha sets, which had the normal full size version of the final design along with a smaller representation of the concept vehicle, the later series featured the alpha concept as the main vehicle, with the film version as a smaller model with no special features. Unlike the final film ship, the concept version features armaments in the form of two independently rotating blaster cannons.
I3b1JfC.png

The upper section of the ship lifts up and away and snaps into position, moving a little R2-D2 along a track into position next to the unusual bucket shaped seat.
OiFRYNm.png
qIAaZYX.png

The most striking visual aspect of the vehicle is, of course, the chrome paint. The concept also includes a matte blue color in its design, with a stripe down the center as well as on the cockpit and engines.
qU58rAj.png
V3AzgAa.png

As an alternative to the stand, the toy also features some fairly detailed landing gear.
bxfqd1m.png

The design of the ship evokes 1950s hood ornaments, while the offset cockpit was meant to be a tribute to the Millennium Falcon.
nQP8qEK.png

As usual, the included figure is tiny but detailed. In this case, it's based on an early concept of the chief pilot Ric Olié.
oafsQ6j.png

Overall, it's a unique model that makes a great display piece thanks to its shiny finish, as long as you can resist putting greasy fingerprints all over it.
I love it.

Tom_Cody

]I haven't looked at The Art of The Force Awakens, but I bet there are some cool ship concepts[/B] in there even if most of them are based on Original Trilogy designs.

You know you want to, Hasbro.
You are in for a real treat. Clearly the film was not always going to modeled so closely on the original trilogy's McQuarrie art. There is an amount of unused designs essentially equivalent to one of the entire prequel trilogy films. And done by fantastic artists! It's really amazing that it's like there is a full film's worth of gorgeous designs that were never used. If this work ends up in Episode 8, I will be in heaven. I would also love to see these designs end up in merchandise form.

My GF got the book for me for Christmas and I love it.

TAJ

I skimmed through that art book a few days ago. Preproduction on TFA was even more of a clusterfuck than I imagined.

Yarbskoo

You are in for a real treat. Clearly the film was not always going to modeled so closely on the original trilogy's McQuarrie art. There is an amount of unused designs essentially equivalent to one of the entire prequel trilogy films. And done by fantastic artists! It's really amazing that it's like there is a full film's worth of gorgeous designs that were never used. If this work ends up in Episode 8, I will be in heaven. I would also love to see these designs end up in merchandise form.

My GF got the book for me for Christmas and I love it.

Maybe I'll see about picking that up after the Cross Sections book.

TAJ

There are six Walgreens within a reasonable distance, five of which I pass by regularly on my way to different things. None of them have had Vader. Well, I made a detour (still only about a mile out of the way) to the sixth store and they had five. I picked one up, did a repaint and took some photos but my tablet is having trouble seeing my memory card reader right now so I can't post them yet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I skimmed through that art book a few days ago. Preproduction on TFA was even more of a clusterfuck than I imagined.
I dunno, Lucas Statements made it very clear that the movie was very different in the first place.

Cant wait when in a couple of years the original ideas will be known.

There are six Walgreens within a reasonable distance, five of which I pass by regularly on my way to different things. None of them have had Vader. Well, I made a detour (still only about a mile out of the way) to the sixth store and they had five. I picked one up, did a repaint and took some photos but my tablet is having trouble seeing my memory card reader right now so I can't post them yet.

Id be really curious to see how it turned out. From what ive seen of other peoples they look really good. Im so close to doing this as well.

mjc

I hadn't thought about repainting that Emperor's Wrath figure...there's a Walgreens near my apartment that has a few in stock last time I looked. What kind of paint would you use?

TAJ

I hadn't thought about repainting that Emperor's Wrath figure...there's a Walgreens near my apartment that has a few in stock last time I looked. What kind of paint would you use?

I haven't found my old airbrush yet so I used hobby spray paint. I went with a basic black and added a gloss clearcoat for shine and to protect the paint.
The head and neck are one unit on a ball joint and pop right off safely. I set it down on the end of a stick so I could paint it all at once.

TAJ

Transferring from my camera wasn't happening any time soon so I wrestled with the camera on my tablet until I got something that's somewhat close to how Emperor's Wrath Vader looks to the eye indoors. I still haven't painted the silver bits. The stuff in the background is there to trick the stupid autoexposure software.

Transferring from my camera wasn't happening any time soon so I wrestled with the camera on my tablet until I got something that's somewhat close to how Emperor's Wrath Vader looks to the eye indoors. I still haven't painted the silver bits. The stuff in the background is there to trick the stupid autoexposure software.

Right on man! So you just used one color of black across the whole head? Also it was spray paint right? Im just trying to get an idea for how you did it. Looks fantastic.

I was thinking about doing a semi gloss on both the face and helmet, and then using a high gloss on the eyes. Im nervous.

TAJ

Right on man! So you just used one color of black across the whole head? Also it was spray paint right? Im just trying to get an idea for how you did it. Looks fantastic.

I was thinking about doing a semi gloss on both the face and helmet, and then using a high gloss on the eyes. Im nervous.

Yes and yes.

Rootbeer

Banned
Congrats! What an awesome LEGO set to own. Proud owner of it myself.

My Black Series Wave 4 case shipped yesterday (Ello Asty, General Hux, normal Snowtrooper, updated Rey & BB-8, updated Kylo Ren, and TIE Fighter Pilot)

Will be here Saturday! And with that, I am all caught up on Black Series figures until the next wave starts showing up, with Ahsoka, Kanan and A New Hope Luke.

Vidiot

Dang, lots of great gifts going out. I need to give my BB-8 some more love. :) You'll love it, it's particularly fun if you have pets too. My cat can't get enough.

Yeah, my dog goes nuts barking and getting into a pounce position while it's rolling around. My 18 month old son also chases it around laughing and screaming. It's a lot of fun.

Rootbeer

Banned
upcoming Mafex figures. AMAZING

12687997_1128688580476939_2707833510582040154_n.jpg

Kylo Ren has a soft goods hood, masked head and UNMASKED head, the first time in this scale.

He also comes with the melted Vader helmet.

And we also have the C-3PO & BB-8 two pack!!!

I am totally getting both of those

Boke1879

Kylo Ren has a soft goods hood, masked head and UNMASKED head, the first time in this scale.

How much do these figures go for and are they good quality?

TAJ

How much do these figures go for and are they good quality?

The Boba Fett that went on preorder a while ago was $42 and I dunno. EDIT: The AmiAmi preorder is still up but it's $45 now.

The Driver likeness is good. I've never heard of Mafex though.

Top Bottom