• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

Rootbeer

Banned
Guys, Mafex makes good stuff. Check out their Batman v Superman stuff coming out soon too:

They are a bit new to the figure game, they did some Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 figures, and a few from The Dark Knight trilogy. But they are now starting to expand into Star Wars.

xmiRlHr.png

Medicom_MAFEX002_Batman_10.jpg

The Mafex Vader is being considered the best 6" Vader you can get. Here is a video review on him. (No 6" Vader is perfect, but this one seems to get the most 'right')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKcokoRtKL4

And yeah, if you collect Hasbro's 6" Black Series and/or Bandai's Figuarts Star Wars figures, these are going to be in the same scale.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't like the Mafex Vader. The shoulder armor is too big (It's easily more than half of the area from the belt to the top of the shoulders and even in ANH it was less than half.)and the helmet is too small.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't like the Mafex Vader. The shoulder armor is too big and the helmet is too small.

What's your favorite Vader then? I'm trying to include only action figures, as I don't think the model kits are really in the same category. And I know some people really liked the recent Vader one.

A lot of the Vaders in this scale these past few years have all had trouble in some ways, usually with the helmet either not looking right or being too small. We are all still waiting on the perfect Vader sadly!

(I do think Hasbro's newest 6" Emperor's Wrath Vader made some strides)

How much do these figures go for and are they good quality?
They are going to run around ~$50 but I've seen amazon selling some for under $40 sometimes. That's before shipping of course if you order from overseas. Booo!

But at the current exchange rate these should run about $45 on amiami before shipping

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What's your favorite Vader then? I'm trying to include only action figures, as I don't think the model kits are really in the same category. And I know some people really liked the recent Vader one.

Right now it's the one I have, the Walgreens-exclusive Black Series with a partial repaint. The articulation in the arms sucks, though. I have the Bandai kit coming. I'm going to customize the shit out of it using custom soft goods and a full repaint. (I found my airbrush and compressor. Yay.) That will probably be better. I think that the Figuarts one looks cartoony. I'm also going to redo my Black Series repaint using varnish instead of clearcoat.
But yeah, the perfect Vader right out of the package is elusive.

TAJ

I just discovered the world of studio-scale model kits/scratchbuilding. This is my crack. Pray for my wallet.

TAJ

That's the revamped Kylo. Not being able to find one for five months at least got you a better figure. You also did really well in the paint apps lottery on that one.

That's the revamped Kylo. Not being able to find one for five months at least got you a better figure. You also did really well in the paint apps lottery on that one.

The only other kylo i saw i ended up passing up on because it was missing damn near all of its silver details on the face. This one is pretty much flawless, even though i was going to buy it anyway lol. I still havent seen any chewie, jango, han, or store exclusives. I saw a storm trooper fin, but i passed.

TAJ

The only other kylo i saw i ended up passing up on because it was missing damn near all of its silver details on the face. This one is pretty much flawless, even though i was going to buy it anyway lol. I still havent seen any chewie, jango, han, or store exclusives. I saw a storm trooper fin, but i passed.

Amazon usually has Chewie discounted to $15-18, both the OT and TFA versions.

TAJ

How did they revamp Kylo?

As an aside, I still haven't see a Phasma in the wild. Insane.

They added the proper texture to his little cape and started making it out of thinner, more flexible materials. They redesigned his hood and the shape is much improved, especially in profile. They also updated the paint scheme on his lightsaber hilt to make it more accurate.

Amazon usually has Chewie discounted to $15-18, both the OT and TFA versions.

Yeah ive seen those. If Amazon keeps up with black series figures at a MSRP than maybe ill get more. Currently most seem to be either hard to find in stores, or $15 above retail on Amazon. So far at Toy Fair 16 the must have figure for me is the AT-AT Pilot Stormtrooper. I keep hearing that they are going to do a reprint of the Vader, so hopefully i can find that.

TAJ

I forgot to mention it but the Bandai Threepio can be popped apart into sixteen chunks in under one minute and reassembled almost as fast, so... instant ESB Threepio. (2x feet, 2x calves, 2x knees, 2x thighs, lower torso, midsection, upper torso, 2x arms, 2x hands, head)

Yeah ive seen those. If Amazon keeps up with black series figures at a MSRP than maybe ill get more. Currently most seem to be either hard to find in stores, or $15 above retail on Amazon. So far at Toy Fair 16 the must have figure for me is the AT-AT Pilot Stormtrooper. I keep hearing that they are going to do a reprint of the Vader, so hopefully i can find that.

There are several other ones that are still under MSRP often, like Emperor Sheev, Luke and Han Stormtroopers, Finn, Constable WGAF, and to a lesser extent the OT Stormtrooper. Biker Scout w/ Speeder Bike and Han w/ Tauntaun were readily available in Gamestop stores at half off MSRP until about two months ago but supplies finally dried up.
I've seen the First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter w/ pilot for $115, which is $55 below MSRP.
But yeah, a lot are pretty expensive. What's funny is that better versions sometimes come out in Japan for less, like Mafex Boba Fett being much cheaper than Black Series Boba Fett or Figuarts Darth Maul hitting for less than BS Maul.

I forgot to mention it but the Bandai Threepio can be popped apart into sixteen chunks in under one minute and reassembled almost as fast, so... instant ESB Threepio. (2x feet, 2x calves, 2x knees, 2x thighs, lower torso, midsection, upper torso, 2x arms, 2x hands, head)

There are several other ones that are still under MSRP often, like Emperor Sheev, Luke and Han Stormtroopers, Finn, Constable WGAF, and to a lesser extent the OT Stormtrooper. Biker Scout w/ Speeder Bike and Han w/ Tauntaun were readily available in Gamestop stores at half off MSRP until about two months ago but supplies finally dried up.
I've seen the First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter w/ pilot for $115, which is $55 below MSRP.
But yeah, a lot are pretty expensive. What's funny is that better versions sometimes come out in Japan for less, like Mafex Boba Fett being much cheaper than Black Series Boba Fett or Figuarts Darth Maul hitting for less than BS Maul.

Appreciate the help. It seems im mostly going for the bad guys in the star wars toys. Mostly because i find that the black series human faces to be rather lack luster. But also because the bad guys in star wars are always rad looking. I think i may pick up the stand alone black tie fighter pilot trooper and the at-at ppilot when its released. My main reason i stay away from amazon is because of all the reviews talking about how they got a fake knock off, and because of the fear of getting a bad paint job. But i guess some figures that doesn't matter. Like chewie.

Also, you mentioned the bandai boba fett. Does it look to scale and fit in with the black series toys? Because the hasbro bobba fett is insanely high.

TAJ

Oh shiiit, my Bandai R2-D2 and R5-D4 combo kit got delivered.

Appreciate the help. It seems im mostly going for the bad guys in the star wars toys. Mostly because i find that the black series human faces to be rather lack luster. But also because the bad guys in star wars are always rad looking. I think i may pick up the stand alone black tie fighter pilot trooper and the at-at ppilot when its released. My main reason i stay away from amazon is because of all the reviews talking about how they got a fake knock off, and because of the fear of getting a bad paint job. But i guess some figures that doesn't matter. Like chewie.

Also, you mentioned the bandai boba fett. Does it look to scale and fit in with the black series toys? Because the hasbro bobba fett is insanely high.

Most of the figures I mentioned are available at those prices directly from Amazon, as in "ships from and sold by Amazon.com". There's no way they're bootlegs.

The Bandai Boba Fett is to scale with Black Series, (Both are 1/12.) but it's a kit that has no weathering on it out of the box. I actually mentioned the Medicom MAFEX Boba Fett, which is also to scale with Black Series. The preorder is still discounted to $45 on AmiAmi, which is on the low end of the price range for a bootleg Hasbro.
It looks like this...

http://postimage.org/

Bandai with paint:

Bandai with no paint:

Rootbeer

Banned
S.H.Figuarts Captain Phasma:

Not as impressive as it should have been.

What is lacking? Nice Phasma collection so far, BTW.

It does suck how much smaller she is than the BS version. Scale is by far my biggest complaint with figures these days. Even scale inside of each dedicated line is not consistent, let alone amongst multiple lines that are trying to be similar scale.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
What is lacking? Nice Phasma collection so far, BTW.

It does suck how much smaller she is than the BS version. Scale is by far my biggest complaint with figures these days. Even scale inside of each dedicated line is not consistent, let alone amongst multiple lines that are trying to be similar scale.

She feels hollow, which makes all the joints weaker, the weight of the cape hinders the articulation and poses you can pull off and display. Sure you can pose her how you like, but keeping her that way without a stand means you have to play around with the balance a hell of a lot more, and that forces stiffer poses.

After getting the S.H.Figuarts Darth Maul, I guess I was expecting more. She's still a home run in the looks department, and while the height can be an issue that's a fault with most S.H.Figuarts. Another issue is her gun doesn't attach to her leg, something I didn't think would have been overlooked.

As for the collection I decided to skip anything super deformed, else I'd have to pick up Pops, the egg attack figure, and the nendo that bound to get announced, much less all the other tiny things made for her. Also ended up skipping the uber prop replica helmet, I just can't justify the price.

I have the Koto piece due out next month pre-ordered, and the Hot Toy due out May and July. Still looking for a place to pre-order (or flat out order) the Bandai model kit, and hoping the Mafex goes up soon. Other then a Sideshow Premium Format (or other statue company) that will probably end my Phasma collection, at least until they change her armor slightly for the next film.

TAJ

The height of the Figuarts Phasma had me wondering about the model kit, but the Figuarts is officially listed as 6.1" and the kit is 6.8". They're supposed to be 6.583", so the kit is decent in that department.
Black Series is 6.75".
MAFEX is closest at 6.7" and apparently chromed like the model kit. If it's discounted like the other ones then it will be $53 at AmiAmi. I'm gonna buy that instead of the kit.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice work on the Phasma stats. Mafex will probably be nice. I am definitely getting Mafex Kylo Ren, just haven't decided if I need another Phasma in my collection or not.

Been eye baling two star wars games.

Imperial assault and the the x wing miniatures game.

I hear imperial assault is basically decent. Not bad

Topper

My wife got me the $80 remote control BB-8 for V-Day and its pretty sweet, I still want the sphero one but this one is pretty solid, my 3 year old is deathly afraid of it lol.

TAJ

Oh, man... the possibilities of this Black Series-scale R2 kit are endless.

Left: Dead-basic full paint job with each piece only one flat color except a tiny bit of gray wash in the cracks of the white pieces for that toy made from high-quality materials look.
Right: No paint, no stickers for that plastic toy look.

Or unpainted plastic plus metallic dome for that '70s everything looks cheap except we chromed the shiny parts look.

Over-the-top filthy look. Yes, that's really the same R2 kit.

Boke1879

Oh, man... the possibilities of this Black Series-scale R2 kit are endless.

Left: Dead-basic full paint job with each piece only one flat color except a tiny bit of gray wash in the cracks of the white pieces for that toy made from high-quality materials look.
Right: No paint, no stickers for that plastic toy look.

Or unpainted plastic plus metallic dome for that '70s everything looks cheap except we chromed the shiny parts look.

Over-the-top filthy look. Yes, that's really the same R2 kit.

My goodness.

TAJ

Can't tell if still metallic hair. Looks good anyway.

Love your selection man. I also have the Venom Snake arm doing the same pose on my desk. I like the Poe figure with the shielded trooper. Im still deciding between that one or x wing poe.

Does anybody know of a stand with foot pegs that fits 6" Black Series figures? All the reviews i've found say other wise judging by my research. Its no big deal, i'm just curious.

Boke1879

Love your selection man. I also have the Venom Snake arm doing the same pose on my desk. I like the Poe figure with the shielded trooper. Im still deciding between that one or x wing poe.

Does anybody know of a stand with foot pegs that fits 6" Black Series figures? All the reviews i've found say other wise judging by my research. Its no big deal, i'm just curious.

Go with the double pack of Poe and riot trooper. Unless they fixed it the Xwing Poe's face is horrible.

TAJ

I have the two-pack Poe and I like it. I've looked at several examples of X-Wing Poe in person and it's a disaster.
But if you just want TR-8R then the Bandai First Order Stormtrooper is the way to go. $24 shipped on Amazon (sometimes less but with super-slow shipping) and the accessories are way nicer.

Top Bottom