• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

On Giacchino, he totally rips off his own Yorktown theme from Star Trek Beyond for the Jyn theme in Rogue One.

Listen to the Night on the Yorktown track at 1:45 here: https://youtu.be/BZpXNZXLoDU?t=1m45s

Then go to the Disney studio awards page for Rogue One, cycle to the Rebellions Are Built on Hope track and go to the 1:50 mark: http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/#/rogue-one/music

He truly is John Williams' musical progeny.

Yorktown's so good I don't blame him.

Thanks, but its not a own Star Wars themed channel and more a playlist? Dont want that many Videos I dont care about in my subsciption list since I watch YouTube mostly over this list.
No, they cover a lot of things. Jedi Council's their SW show. I don't really know any others. I watch the Star Wars Show every week and that's about it.

Anth0ny

I want the Art of Rogue One so bad... but then I remember that I haven't even had a chance to sit down and read my Art of TFA yet ; _ ;

Received my Galactic Maps book today. Forgot I even preordered it. Pretty giant book with some pretty cool illustrations. Havnt really read any of it yet. That's a 6 inch emperor for scale.

hiplaYx.jpg

Received my Galactic Maps book today. Forgot I even preordered it. Pretty giant book with some pretty cool illustrations. Havnt really read any of it yet. That's a 6 inch emperor for scale.

I saw that at the book store the other day. In the kids section but really thought about buying it. Tall-ass book tho.

As if 2016 can't be worse enough. Hope she pulls through.

Variety said:
Carrie Fisher is in critical condition after suffering a full cardiac arrest on Friday while aboard an airplane headed from London to LAX, an emergency official confirmed to Variety.

Airport police responded at approximately 12:15 p.m. PT to a woman with a medical emergency on a plane a Terminal 7, but they couldn’t confirm the identify of the victim, public information officer Alicia Hernandez told Variety.

The female victim had gone into cardiac arrest and officers from the Los Angeles County Fire Department were already on the scene performing CPR, when airport police arrived. She was transported to local hospital for medical treatment.
Fisher reportedly went into cardiac arrest about 15 minutes before the plane landed, TMZ first reported.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/carrie-fisher-heart-attack-star-wars-1201947925/

Sayers

Since the spoiler thread seems to have turned into a contest over who can be the most hyperbolic in their dislike of Rogue One, I will post my spoiler free thoughts here:

Really enjoyed it overall. I thought the first 30-45 minutes were a bit of a mess and you could absolutely tell that this movie had lots of reshoots but it came together for the most part. Thought the characters were pretty good although I wish they had developed some of them a bit more. I really enjoyed Vader's part in the movie. They did what I had hoped they would do with him which I won't say here just yet.

Overall, a very enjoyable, if imperfect, Star Wars movie.

If anyone feels like distracting themselves for a bit, go pick up Doctor Aphra #2.

Easily some of the funniest writing I've seen in a Star Wars, well, anything, since TFA.

Fuck:

http://etcanada.com/news/190820/carrie-fisher-suffers-massive-heart-attack-on-plane/

“There really is not much to say. She is in the intensive care unit, she is being well looked after. If everyone could just pray for her that would be good. The doctors are doing their thing and we don’t want to bug them. We are waiting by patiently.”

He also addressed an earlier comment attributed to him, in which he was alleged to have said his sister was in “stable condition.”

“I don’t know where they got that word from. That is absolutely not even close to the truth. We don’t know. We hope for the best. We certainly do not know her condition, that’s why she is in ICU. I’m sure everyone wants to speculate but now is not the time for that.”

Damn. Hoping for the best.

Gratz on the haul! I saw a guy walking out of Walmart with an AT-ACT today and I experienced a large tug of jealousy.

I saw one of those at Target, I think it was. I want one so bad, but that price... :'( It seems so rad! Remote controlled AT-ACT! I love that you can make it walk and fire. I got real giddy when I saw a video of it. Haha.

Oh, yeah, I was thinking about getting the Force Awakens X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and the Rebels A-Wing at Toys "R" Us, but they were pretty pricey...though, they were buy 1, get one 40%...heh. I'll definitely pick them up someday.

Also, I really like the Ultimate Visual Guide for Rogue One.

Ugh, at Walmart picking up stuff for dinner tomorrow and they had Hera's A-Wing for about $20.
Got it, 5poa Jyn, Black series Scarif trooper and the Pao 2 pack.

$20 for Hera's A-Wing? I last saw it there for $30. Hmm...I'll see if I can stop by one and pick it up soon.

They had so many that didn't seem to move at all so I guess they got fed up.
Two I got were the last which was surprising, never thought they'd move all of them.

For that price it is worth it, nerf launcher isn't as horrendous as it looks online.
Undersized actually works nicely for this ship compared to other ships they mess with the looks too much(U-Wing)

Hera is the same sculpt I think but looks infinitely better because seems like she was cast in much better plastic.
So its isn't that real slick glossy plastic as before.
Flight helmet is glued on though.

I remember only seeing one or two at Walmart a while back, and then I went again recently and they had tons of them. I've been meaning to pick one up for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it.
I was tempted to get it yesterday during a Toys "R" Us buy one, get one 40% off sale on Star Wars toys, but didn't end up getting anything there. I was thinking about getting the A-Wing with Hera, Speeder Bike with Ezra, and Kanan and Sabine. I ended up just buying a bunch of 6" Black Series figures elsewhere instead.

I also got the U-Wing last night ($33 at Barnes & Noble after discounts), and I personally love it. I actually find the Nerf gun to be a fun addition, though I can see why some people might not like them. You can easily hide it on the U-Wing, though, so it can be completely unnoticeable there. The Nerf gun didn't really bother me in the pictures I saw of the A-Wing, and I'm definitely picking one up at some point.

I haven't bought any 3.75" figures in over a decade (I had a ton, and lost almost all of it, so I stopped buying toys for a long time), but after buying the U-Wing, it's kinda tempting to get a few to go with the vehicles and the figures they come with. At least they're only a few bucks. It's also easier to find more characters there, so that's a plus. I did some research on what was available a while back, and I liked the vast selection. I also checked out all of the Rebels ones, and have thought about picking them up (and was seriously thinking about it yesterday). I saw a comparison of both Hera's, and yeah, I thought the one with the A-Wing looked better overall, even if the helmet is stuck to her.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Now this is funny.

John Williams has never seen any Star Wars

In case 2016 couldn’t get any weirder, it turns out the man who created some of the most memorable moments in Star Wars through his epic compositions hasn’t bothered to watch any of them in action. That’s right, John Williams hasn’t seen Star Wars.

In an interview with Metro UK, Williams admitted that he hasn’t sat through any of the Star Wars films he’s created scores for, at least not all the way through. He’s watched sequences when he was physically orchestrating them. But he said that when he’s done with a movie, he’s done, and doesn’t care to revisit them.

“I have not looked at the Star Wars films and that’s absolutely true,” Williams said. “I’m not particularly proud of that, I have to say​.”​

He said he’s usually too busy writing symphonies for upcoming movies to actually go and sit through the ones he’s already finished.

PBalfredo

I have to give them props for the original ship and vehicle designs in Rogue One. They all felt like they belonged in the original trilogy and they each served a unique function. It avoided the issue TFA had where they just remodeled the classic designs or the old EU which was awash with overwrought, bad designs. They even introduced a new TIE design that didn't feel like it was trying its hardest to be cooler than the TIE Interceptor, a common pitfall of the EU. The new Mon Cal Cruiser was a great centerpiece of the rebel fleet and the U-Wing is a great design. Nice to see a "Hero ship" that wasn't another Corellian ship (though I also enjoyed the Ghost's cameo).

Also, shout out to Y-Wings for actually being shown doing something cool and fulfilling their role as bombers. For once they're not just fodder for TIE Fighters.

Also, shout out to Y-Wings for actually being shown doing something cool and fulfilling their role as bombers. For once they're not just fodder for TIE Fighters.
I mentioned in the other thread this also makes the Rebels episode where they stole those Y-wings a lot more interesting.
It seemed a bit silly that the stolen Y-wings were hyped before when honestly they had no effect in the Battle of Yavin.
Now they actually serve a major purpose that leads into said battle.

PBalfredo

I mentioned in the other thread this also makes the Rebels episode where they stole those Y-wings a lot more interesting.
It seemed a bit silly that the stolen Y-wings were hyped before when honestly they had no effect in the Battle of Yavin.
Now they actually serve a major purpose that leads into said battle.

Now if only Rebels would stop throwing A-Wings under the bus.

You know what my problem is with the animation on Rebels, I think? It's that everyone moves too much when they speak. They all stand still when they're not talking, but then when they have lines, they start squirming and wobbling their heads and kind of "swimming" in the air. Watch for it next time. I can't unsee it now.

You know what my problem is with the animation on Rebels, I think? It's that everyone moves too much when they speak. They all stand still when they're not talking, but then when they have lines, they start squirming and wobbling their heads and kind of "swimming" in the air. Watch for it next time. I can't unsee it now.
Budget.
Im really surprised it looks as good/decent as it does on the budget it has.

Remember this
YcTPJaE.jpg

Budget.
Im really surprised it looks as good/decent as it does on the budget it has.

Remember this
YcTPJaE.jpg

I was rewatching Clone Wars and there was a featurette on the the first Mandalorian arc on how they used to do parade scenes with what amount 2D cardboard character cut outs. The thing about it though is that if you were able to tilt the camera (as a viewer) even slightly, the crowd illusion falls apart. Really smart and interesting way to solve a crowd problem.

I was rewatching Clone Wars and there was a featurette on the the first Mandalorian arc on how they used to do parade scenes with what amount 2D cardboard character cut outs. The thing about it though is that if you were able to tilt the camera (as a viewer) even slightly, the crowd illusion falls apart. Really smart and interesting way to solve a crowd problem.

The one about the reflections on Mandalore was crazy(that it wasn't actual reflections but a darker character model in those places.)

PBalfredo

The way the new movies keep showing ships jumping into and out of hyperspace while in atmosphere kind of messes with the concept of Interdictors, doesn't it?

RyanW

Thinking about picking up the Rogue One art book and a couple of Rogue One funko figures. Gotta get my fix of merch for this film

Gravidee

That is part of the style. TCW went for more grounded/realistic movements while Rebels goes for that traditional Disney animated look, so that characters look more expressive.

Top Bottom