• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

SpaceWolf

Banned
The specified length is vague. Does it mean length or width?

Because the ship is about four times as wide as it is long with some eyeballing, and that would make it either 15 km long and 60 km wide, or 60 km long and 240 wide...

The "Dreadnaught" ain't big at 8 km, not at all. This? I concede this is big.

sigmund-freud-photo.jpg

Jinroh

The Supremacy is going to make for a nice explosion in episode 9!

It's a strange design though, why would they want to make such a ship flat in design is beyond me.

Hagi

The Supremacy actually looks cool, much better than the other destroyer they showed off. Hopefully it comes with a unique variant of Ties or something.

I got Phasma in the post today, haven't even read Inferno Squad yet but tempted to just jump straight in.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
First look at Snoke's Star Destroyer: Supremacy.

(Will unspoil if everyone thinks I should.)

1n5UgKA.png

XovXoAQ.jpg

I see people moaning about it's size, but having only seen the first picture before coming on here I had assumed it was the First Orders seat of power rather than using a planet like Coruscant like the Empire did, the second picture says as much. The thing is big, bigger than previous ships, but it is smaller than both Death Stars which while "stations" could also fly around space.

So yea, it's big, but for the Star Wars universe it isn't out of place.

I hope we get a decent quality update to that famous sci-fi ship size comparison graphic after TLJ releases.

This is far bigger than the biggest ships on that. Though still far smaller than the completely ridiculously sized Mantle's Approach from Halo 4, lol. (it was like, twice the size of the Death Star for no real reason)

Lmo911

Flying wings are awesome, so I like this ship.

Also being the headquarters of the First Order makes it like an evil Air Force One. Snoke needs to tell someone to GET OFF OF MY PLANE!

Woorloog

Banned
I hope we get a decent quality update to that famous sci-fi ship size comparison graphic after TLJ releases.

This is far bigger than the biggest ships on that. Though still far smaller than the completely ridiculously sized Mantle's Approach from Halo 4, lol. (it was like, twice the size of the Death Star for no real reason)

The best part Mantle's Approach is that the model and estimates one can make from the game are reasonable but the size in info books (ie canon) is ridiculous. Like, "hey guys, this wasn't big enough, change the numbers".

Not the biggest ship in scifi though. Consider Independence Day...

The best part Mantle's Approach is that the model and estimates one can make from the game are reasonable but the size in info books (ie canon) is ridiculous. Like, "hey guys, this wasn't big enough, change the numbers".

Not the biggest ship in scifi though. Consider Independence Day...
Ah yeah, I forgot about the actual mothership. Or rather, I forgot the chart only has the city-destroying invasion saucer, which is obviously much smaller.

And didn't ID4-2 have something even bigger? Do we even bother counting that? lol

And the weird thing about the Approach is they wound up making it so big to almost no fanfare. It's just like "yeah, here's how big it is", but no one ever really addresses that it'sthe biggest ship in the universe by far, as far as I can remember. No remark about how the Infinity is just tiny next to it, or how it dwarves even a Forerunner Keyship.

RyanW

Ran by Walmart and I can't tell if I was just too late or my Walmart didn't want to do anything. Typically it's the latter. Didn't even have the new books

Milly79

Won this at Target, and picked up BS Thrawn.

My friend won one, too. Feelsbadman. My daughter would've loved it, but he decided he's gonna sell it. Things are crazy on eBay right now.

I hit up TRU, Target and Walmart.

Got Rey, Resistance Droid and Porg (chase) Funkos and the Black Series Thrawn.

Seemed infinitely better to wait until the morning to get what I wanted. Last night was a shit show.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I was at Target with my friend Justin last night, and he won the giant Porg. Because he is super generous, he gave it to me since I was mildly obsessing over it and because I have a five-year-old who would go nuts over it.

And go nuts he did.

2nYR3Zi.jpg

(and yes, he's also holding a little backpack clip Porg that I picked up for him)

Snaku

Banned
I was at Target with my friend Justin last night, and he won the giant Porg. Because he is super generous, he gave it to me since I was mildly obsessing over it and because I have a five-year-old who would go nuts over it.

And go nuts he did.

2nYR3Zi.jpg

(and yes, he's also holding a little backpack clip Porg that I picked up for him)

Aw that's awesome.

I picked up the 3 3/4" Luke, Rey and Kylo for my work desk on Amazon last night.

Checked out Target today on my lunch break, and surprisingly, a lot of things were sold out.

Kinda eyeing up the LEGO Chewbacca, and I'll be damned if I don't want a Porg, but I think I'm going to wait on grabbing one until I see the movie. (Famous last words?)

...I really want to get the Sphero droids, for sure...

Guy.brush

I see people moaning about it's size, but having only seen the first picture before coming on here I had assumed it was the First Orders seat of power rather than using a planet like Coruscant like the Empire did, the second picture says as much. The thing is big, bigger than previous ships, but it is smaller than both Death Stars which while "stations" could also fly around space.

So yea, it's big, but for the Star Wars universe it isn't out of place.

Hope they at least do a throwaway explanation why the First Order seems to have infinite resources and time machines?
  • Biggest SD of the Galaxy spanning Empire: 19km
    (even http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought says those were some of the biggest starships EVER created)
  • Biggest SD of Snoke's band of merry men: 60km
  • Empire Deathstar: Size of a moon
  • First Order Starkiller base: Size of a planet.
  • And then we have this new AT-M6, basically twice the size of an AT-AT:
    DImPWzUXkAQpVIn.jpg
So why can the First Order just Super-Size me everything and build it in a lot less time when it has pretty much only a fraction of the control if at all? Feels like sequelitis to me.

Jinroh

They had 30 years to produce all that. It's already been explained that they don't have the manufacturing capabilities of the empire, so they rely on quality instead of quantity.

Also I don't think it's fair to compare starkiller base to the death star. The death star was fully artificial, whereas starkiller base is a carved up planet.

The first order is similar to the empire, but they have different philosophies and while the empire controlled the whole galaxy, the first order doesn't.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I mean, y'all wondering how the FO get such huge upgrades with their situation, but I'm still wondering why the GE got technical downgrades in their situation.

RobbieNick

And go nuts he did.

2nYR3Zi.jpg

That's waaaaay too big a prize. I'm happy Finn likes it.

I didn't do the midnight thing. I went to my local Target this morning and while the action figure isle was devastated (I did find a Luke figure though). However, I did find a corner that people missed with a ton of merchandise and I got myself a $20 Porg that chirps. They scream "marketing", but gosh darn are they cute!!.

SArcher

Banned
So why can the First Order just Super-Size me everything and build it in a lot less time when it has pretty much only a fraction of the control if at all? Feels like sequelitis to me.

It really does when everything has to be bigger. I'm reminded of the ridiculously big alien ship in the Independence Day sequel. Or how each new Jurassic Park/World movie needs to have a bigger and a more badass dinosaur.

That's waaaaay too big a prize. I'm happy Finn likes it.

I didn't do the midnight thing. I went to my local Target this morning and while the action figure isle was devastated (I did find a Luke figure though). However, I did find a corner that people missed with a ton of merchandise and I got myself a $20 Porg that chirps. They scream "marketing", but gosh darn are they cute!!.

I'm definitely getting my girlfriend multiple Porg things for Christmas. She already loves them.

And to be honest, if I was in charge of writing and directing a Star Wars movie, you bet your ass I'd be trying to come up with something like Porgs. :p Progressively cuter characters that everyone needs merch of is so much of a Star Wars thing, I'd have to try and leave my mark, haha.

They had 30 years to produce all that. It's already been explained that they don't have the manufacturing capabilities of the empire, so they rely on quality instead of quantity.

Also I don't think it's fair to compare starkiller base to the death star. The death star was fully artificial, whereas starkiller base is a carved up planet.

The first order is similar to the empire, but they have different philosophies and while the empire controlled the whole galaxy, the first order doesn't.

Pretty much all of this, yeah. The First Order is far smaller than the Empire was, just as the Resistance is basically nothing next to the peak, RotJ-tier Rebellion. The Empire had fleets of mass-produced Star Destroyers that covered significant portions of the entire galaxy, while the First Order is basically pumping everything they have into a far smaller collection of ships, that also come after decades of advancement and can lean on whatever Imperial research was leftover.

I doubt the First Order could pull together a fleet as imposing in scale as the one at the Battle of Endor, but they can pool all of their resources into a much smaller collection of top-of-the-line ships, land vehicles, and weaponry, since they have far less territory to cover and are far more desperate.

Malyse

How would you feel if 7-9 ends up like 1-3 AKA the villains "win" and set up a Galactic Empire (possibly to defend against the greater threat from Wild Space that Palpatine was concerned about/learned about from Thrawn)?

Honestly, most of the more "original" designs from the EU were straight awful too.

And dear lord, all of those TIEs.
So many TIEs...
How would you feel if 7-9 ends up like 1-3 AKA the villains "win" and set up a Galactic Empire (possibly to defend against the greater threat from Wild Space that Palpatine was concerned about/learned about from Thrawn)?
In the old EU, it was Yuuzhan Vong and it was bad.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hope they at least do a throwaway explanation why the First Order seems to have infinite resources and time machines?
  • Biggest SD of the Galaxy spanning Empire: 19km
    (even http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought says those were some of the biggest starships EVER created)
  • Biggest SD of Snoke's band of merry men: 60km
  • Empire Deathstar: Size of a moon
  • First Order Starkiller base: Size of a planet.
  • And then we have this new AT-M6, basically twice the size of an AT-AT:
    DImPWzUXkAQpVIn.jpg

At this point I expect it to be where the last big battle of the sequel trilogy will take place, a nice big space battle, but they will probably explain it when the heroes come across it.

As for sizes getting bigger that isn't really a new thing, they did it in the original trilogy, we went from a Star Destroyer to a Super Star Destroyer, the Death Star to the Death Star 2, both imperial creations were dramatically bigger in size. Canonically there are supposed to be at least 12 Executor class ships, size wise that's another 2 of Snokes flagship worth of ship, and that's along with 2 Death Stars they built. The way lore is currently going it seems Starkiller is looking to be a project that the First Order finished after the Empire abandoned it and was originally a planet that the Empire mined for Kyber Crystals to build the Death Star laser.

It was already said by someone but I believe the idea behind the First Orders ships and vehicles is they don't have the numbers to make as much as the Empire did, they control their own area of space but it is much smaller than holding most of a galaxy, so what they build they build bigger and in fewer numbers.

Top Bottom