• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

sphagnum

Banned
I'm really enjoying the Leia novel so far at about 100 pages in.

I just finished it. Pretty good but I think Lost Stars and Bloodline were both better. There's a lot of fun stuff in this though, it just felt somewhat more unfocused I guess since so much of it is "Leia tries to prove herself, screws up a situation accidentally" over and over.

That last line is a whopper though.

Is there a new black series Sabine? Asking for a friend.
image.php

Anyway, no, just the season one figure from last year. Which I've still yet to see anywhere. I think I've only heard of people finding her at GameStop and ThinkGeek around release past December. Not sure if she or the rest of that wave ever popped up elsewhere.

Hasbro could easily re-release it with a new season two paint job at some point if they felt like it, though. The character model in the show is identical in season one and two besides updated textures. Season three version would need some new parts, though, but not too much. I'd love to see both versions eventually. I especially need that season three version with the jetpack and Darksaber!

Malyse

But they nearly became canon in the clone wars show though. Also aren't they the threat behind Thrawn's motivations? Or is it something else?

There's ~something~ out there that Thrawn is alluding to. I doubt that they will use the name or look or powers of the Vong, but I expect the concept to be recycled, not unlike Han and Leia's evil son.

Filoni said he wants to end it his way rather than have another show cancelled on him.

I can definitely see why he would want that after the way Clone Wars ended. I just want the show to end in a way that makes sense with the rest of the series. It's been said a million times, but having these highly skilled Jedi running around with the rebellion seems like a problem.

Thinking about Clone Wars, it's really weird how those half finished episodes are considered canon with how janky and bad they look. I don't know if it's possible or even worth doing, but it'd be cool if those episodes were finished.

Sayers

I can definitely see why he would want that after the way Clone Wars ended. I just want the show to end in a way that makes sense with the rest of the series. It's been said a million times, but having these highly skilled Jedi running around with the rebellion seems like a problem.

Thinking about Clone Wars, it's really weird how those half finished episodes are considered canon with how janky and bad they look. I don't know if it's possible or even worth doing, but it'd be cool if those episodes were finished.

Siege of Mandalore is canon and it never made it out of concept art. Though that one should really be a TV movie.

Teggy

image.php

Anyway, no, just the season one figure from last year. Which I've still yet to see anywhere. I think I've only heard of people finding her at GameStop and ThinkGeek around release past December. Not sure if she or the rest of that wave ever popped up elsewhere.

Hasbro could easily re-release it with a new season two paint job at some point if they felt like it, though. The character model in the show is identical in season one and two besides updated textures. Season three version would need some new parts, though, but not too much. I'd love to see both versions eventually. I especially need that season three version with the jetpack and Darksaber!

Your only hope is for a new Sabine currently is 3.75 Vintage Collection returning in Spring.
otherwise this is it for actual figures.

TBH all of the Sabine action figures have terrible faces. They do look good with the with the helmet on. The only "figure" that I think does right by the animation is the Disney Infinity figure.

sphagnum

Banned
Rae founded it and she was fighting Kanan.

-----

Amilyn Holdo is my new favorite character.

Loyalty to Seyn dropped pretty quickly there.

I've got 9 chapters left in Phasma. This book went from ungodly boring to WHOA SHIT about a third if the way through and never let up, though it still has a bunch of problems. I'm not a fan of the constant tense switching or the frame story intruding so much. Also once I got to the end of the flashback I saw there was still like 15 more chapters, so it seems kind of uneven. I think it would have worked better as two books, one that was entirely just the flashback, and then the life story of Cardinal. But like I said, I'm not done yet so we'll see how this turns out.

I will be very sad if somehow Brendol Hux outlived Rae Sloane, which could possibly be true judging by some of the dialogue.

Wanderer5

So a bunch of books were put out yesterday? I see Claudia Gray wrote a new Leia book, so I might check that out (I haven't read Bloodline actually).

sphagnum

Banned
So a bunch of books were put out yesterday? I see Claudia Gray wrote a new Leia book, so I might check that out (I haven't read Bloodline actually).

Just two, Leia and Phasma. We still have a couple other books coming out before TLJ though - The Legends of Luke Skywalker, Canto Bight, and Cobalt Squadron.

Malyse

Loyalty to Seyn dropped pretty quickly there.
I mean, there's a super valid reason to not stan Seyn. And this is essentially Luna Lovegood in Star Wars, why would I not love her?

Also, my whole thing is that I love loving things. My tastes are pretty mercurial, though it will almost always be some variation of pleasure or euphoria.

So Leia
definitely used the Force to save herself on the mountain, yes?

sphagnum

Banned
So Leia
definitely used the Force to save herself on the mountain, yes?

Absolutely.

I read somewhere that Claudia said at Dragoncon that she wants to do an Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon novel. I can only imagine this would be about their year on Mandalore when Obi-Wan fell in love with Satine.

Malyse

The Journey to The Last Jedi is much shorter than the Journey to The Force Awakens.
The Last Jedi
Novels
Adult
  • Phasma
  • Canto Bight (Short story collection)
Young Adult
  • Leia, Princess of Alderaan
Junior
  • The Legends of Luke Skywalker
Comics
  • Star Wars: Captain Phasma (4 issues)
  • Star Wars Adventures: Volume 1 (3 issues)

The Force Awakens
Novels
Adult
  • Aftermath
  • Life Debt
  • Empire's End
Young adult
  • Lost Stars
Junior
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
Short stories
  • "The Perfect Weapon"
  • "All Creatures Great and Small"
  • "The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku"
  • "The Face of Evil"
  • "High Noon on Jakku"
Comics
  • Star Wars: Shattered Empire (4 issues)

Course, I'm still bitter about buying the short stories piecemeal and then having to get the collection to get the last two. Also, there are two short story collections in TLJ because Legends of Luke Skywalker is one as well.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I wonder how many years it's going to take the new EU to catch up with the Legends EU in terms of the wealth of material that's out there. The new EU still feels comparatively bare-bones compared to what we had before. Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, considering how much bad stuff was out there.

I wonder how many years it's going to take the new EU to catch up with the Legends EU in terms of the wealth of material that's out there. The new EU still feels comparatively bare-bones compared to what we had before. Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, considering how much bad stuff was out there.

Well, the new "EU" is 3 years old, and the old EU was 37 years old when it died, soooo... 34 years from now? :p

sphagnum

Banned

There's a ton of stuff in the new canon, it's just all concentrated around the timeline of the movies.

Malyse

I mean, why would you want that? At this point it's not unreasonable to catch up on all of the canon stuff; the only real speedbumps are Clone Wars and Rebels. Plus we're constantly getting new stuff. The Old EU had BLOAT.

There's a ton of stuff in the new canon, it's just all concentrated around the timeline of the movies.

Thet did hint to older stuff like a war between the Mandalorians and the Jedi.

I hope they visit that time eventually, and bring back characters like Revan, Mandalore and Bastila.

The Journey to The Last Jedi is much shorter than the Journey to The Force Awakens.
The Last Jedi

The Force Awakens

Course, I'm still bitter about buying the short stories piecemeal and then having to get the collection to get the last two. Also, there are two short story collections in TLJ because Legends of Luke Skywalker is one as well.

The cover isn't marked for Journey to The Last Jedi, but I think you have to consider Cobalt Squadron (Rose Tico's book) one. (Ages 8-12)

Malyse

Yo, Phasma is a weird book. Like, this book is much more weird than I was ready for.
The cover isn't marked for Journey to The Last Jedi, but I think you have to consider Cobalt Squadron (Rose Tico's book) one. (Ages 8-12)
Gonna read everything, but I was just comparing the designations.

Snaku

Banned
Yo, Phasma is a weird book. Like, this book is much more weird than I was ready for.

Yeah, I've only got a little bit left but I don't really know what to think. It's ranged from weird and boring, to weird and interesting. Very uneven book. Not sure if it's changed my opinion of Phasma one way or the other. I really hope she does something in TLJ.

Malyse

How far are you?
Just started chapter 8. Phasma has made two appearances.
Yeah, I've only got a little bit left but I don't really know what to think. It's ranged from weird and boring, to weird and interesting. Very uneven book. Not sure if it's changed my opinion of Phasma one way or the other. I really hope she does something in TLJ.
I don't know what I was expecting, but this isn't it.

That's a lie.

I expected Thrawn or Tarkin. I don't need a frame story especially not one this off the wall. I really don't understand this book and I 1000% don't know where this is headed. One thing I will say, this is not at all who I thought Phasma was. Granted we knew literally nothing about her but
warrior of a regressive tribal culture
was not what I saw coming.

I'm interested in her getting some fight scenes. She should be the best fighter in the play right now and I need to see her go medieval on somebody's ass.

Actually, I want to see her beat the fuck out of Kylo Ren. I know that won't happen but it would be amazing.

sphagnum

Banned
The book gets a lot better once they get out of that cave area, but I agree that the frame story really jumbled things up. It's a very interesting but uneven book.

In other news I'm seeing posts on TFN that Claudia Gray said at Dragoncon that she wrote Amilyn to be queer. I can't find anything to confirm that (I mean there was that passage where she tells Leia that being just interested in humanoid males is boring so it seems obvious) but if the movies adhere to that then we have our first non-straight movie character that I can think of.

I got like 100 pages left in Phasma and yeah, it’s a weird fucking read. As someone who bought into Phasma hype day 1 forever ago, this isn’t what I expected at all for her as a character. And I think I like it. Just not really in how they framed the story in the book.

Malyse

I got like 100 pages left in Phasma and yeah, it’s a weird fucking read. As someone who bought into Phasma hype day 1 forever ago, this isn’t what I expected at all for her as a character. And I think I like it. Just not really in how they framed the story in the book.

I'm a little over a third in and yeah. It's super weird, but I think I love Phasma? But the frame story can kick rocks. I'm looking forward to Kelly's comic, because her writing with this crazy kick ass amazon sounds amazing.

This is by far the zaniest Star Wars book I've ever read. I would love to have seen the story group's first reactions to this book.

---

Edit: WHAT IS HAPPENING? This is so bizarre! Just got out of the sand and this book is going off the rails.

Snaku

Banned

It's like a weird Mad Max Fury Road without its style or break neck pacing. Unless things dramatically change in these last few chapters...

dLUEc2d.gif

Top Bottom