• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Moaradin

It's Star Wars dude. Most people want to live out the fantasy of being a Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. People don't really fantasize about being Commander Cody.

I've seen a lot of Sith on my server but honestly the real surprise to me is how many Bounty Hunters there are, just a god damn flood of them all over the place. Imperial Agent seems to be the class that hardly anyone is playing.

A shame really. Imperial Agent has the best story. One of Bioware's best written stories.

gatti-man

i7 920
Radeon HD 4890
9GB DDR3 RAM

There is a 200 page thread on the SWTOR forums detailing the issue at large. Some of us are affected and others not. One of the mods in the mega thread posted that the issue is recognized and a fix is incoming at least.

Its the ati card. Not saying its atis fault but it seems like a large amount of ati users are having issues.

jcutner

This is the first MMO I feel that I'm truly getting into, yet I'm basically playing it by myself...

I just hit level 10 and the OT helps huge as I think I understand this *WAY* more than I ever did with WoW, and I hit about level 17 on there.

Hit up all the trainers to get XP, figured out that my companion does the crafting, saw that I can mod my guns (or at least the first Orange gun I got)

Picked my Advanced Class, and now I see the skill tree. It seems really indepth and all this is "hidden away" until you progress further, which makes sense.

I'm just over 6 hours in and I've barely broken the surface - but I'm really enjoying it even though I may not be getting the most out of it, because I'm just following the story/class based quests solo.

Should I consider/or ask to join the GAF Empire guild?

gatti-man

This is the first MMO I feel that I'm truly getting into, yet I'm basically playing it by myself...

I just hit level 10 and the OT helps huge as I think I understand this *WAY* more than I ever did with WoW, and I hit about level 17 on there.

Hit up all the trainers to get XP, figured out that my companion does the crafting, saw that I can mod my guns (or at least the first Orange gun I got)

Picked my Advanced Class, and now I see the skill tree. It seems really indepth and all this is "hidden away" until you progress further, which makes sense.

I'm just over 6 hours in and I've barely broken the surface - but I'm really enjoying it even though I may not be getting the most out of it, because I'm just following the story/class based quests solo.

Should I consider/or ask to join the GAF Empire guild?

I would just in case you need help, advice, or just fun chat. The gaf guild seems full of nice people.

jcutner

I would just in case you need help, advice, or just fun chat. The gaf guild seems full of nice people.

That's what I was hoping for, cause I'm still relatively clueless when it comes to certain MMO tropes so I wind up asking in the general chat how I can access this, or view that.

Is there a limit on the guild? I don't want to take up a slot if I'm not going to be active/good enough to participate in raids and what not...

I'm sure this has been asked en masse already but should I be PM'ing someone via the board, or in game? My ingame name on Kellar's Void (Empire) is " Supa'Hot'Fire "

DTX3

Neo Member
hey everyone i see alot of people have questions about joining the The Gaf Empire on the PvE server Keller's Void and the OT hasnt been updated to show all of our officers. our GM as most of you probably know by now from either looking at the OT or from other GAF members is Villeon (in game) but as you also know hes not in the game 24/7 so your more than welcome to whisper any one of our officers in game which off the top of my head are Dignus (which is myself. i also have 2 alts which are Sciion, and Eregoren so you can write me on any of them for an invite), Somnia (Somnia also has an alt which is Alicar), Verigan, and i believe Sona is also an officer if i remember correctly. please ask any of us in game for an invite. when you do please provide your GAF account name so we can verify who you are because at the moment our guild is only allowing GAF members to join while the hype of this game is still very big and we are on the free 30 days...once the free 30 days are over and the people who dont want to continue to subscribe are gone (because it always happens) and we just have a loyal guild whos going to stick around then that will most likely change and we will start inviting friends and family of GAF members first then any others. we are also doing this to make sure our guild stays friendly, helpful, and fun as its been since the first day of early access. if we accepted any and all invites we get (which you'd be surprised just how many random people ask for invites in game) from random people just because we want to have a large guild then people would start fighting and being rude and offensive and we do not want that and take it very seriously. thankfully that hasnt been a problem with The GAF Empire. we've all had nothing but fun together and we hope to continue to stay that way. thank you for taking the time for reading all this for those who did and have fun :)

KaYotiX

Banned
almost at 30 and just hit Tatooine and Alderan.

Man bother places are awesome :) Loving SWTOR so far!! Has me hooked like WoW did when in launched and DAoC :p

chiba

Thinking of picking this up and playing a trooper commando, just curious how popular this class is? One of the least played? Gonna roll it no matter what, just curious.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
On Nar Shaddar on a FULL server and only 35 ppl in the instance. wtf?

I agree, it's pretty lame. The other night I was in instance 2 on Nar Shadda, and I flipped over to instance 1 to play with a friend. I come over to one, and there were 28 people in the area :-/

There should be hundreds. At least. Even places like Coruscant, an early planet, almost always have less than 100 people on it. Kinda lame. I love, love, love the game; but seriously, there needs to be more people running around; otherwise, the world feels just a tad barren.

There are a lot of Bounty hunters. I think it might have something to do with them being the closest thing to a WOW Hunter in this game. They do have a lot of similar moves too.

I just did the Alderaan PVP warzone and thought it was really good. It's pretty much Arathi Basi. It's laggy as hell though. I don't know what was up with that. Is it really laggy for you guys?

I also did Mandalorian Raiders tonight. I thought it had some really cool fights. I'm impressed by what kind of boss mechanics they're throwing at us even in these early dungeons. Some of that stuff you don't see until raids or heroics in WOW. There was something wrong though. None of the bosses dropped any loot except for the last one. :\

I also got to 25 on my BH and got my mount. That's 2 tons with mounts in 1 week of playing. :D I really want some Bobba Fett armor. Does any boss or any vendor have that Mandalorian set? I saw that the PVP vendor has some Storm Trooper orange gear for level 40. I'm definitely going to get that and wear it around.

8cOEq.jpg

Dina

I agree with the CC-problems in PvP. I play and level as a tanking Vanguard, but it's getting harder and harder the higher I get. Need dualspec like yesterday.

Milly79

Just left Balmorra after getting 10+ new quests and wanting to move on. I have to say Nar isn't what I was expecting. Much preferred Bal.

MikeTyson

Banned
Great op, lots of info :)

Getting this game tomorrow, cleared so much shit off my pc-- only mmo I've played was DC Universe beta on PS3--huge fan of Bioware though (KOTOR, Origins, ME, JE)

Best newcomer. satisfactory class would be? Leaning on the Bounty Hunter. "Western vibe".

gatti-man

Just left Balmorra after getting 10+ new quests and wanting to move on. I have to say Nar isn't what I was expecting. Much preferred Bal.

For me bal was annoying shit nar was mediocre and tatooine is a fucking masterpiece that makes everything worthwhile.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does this game take forever and a half to exit out to Windows at the end of a session for anyone else? I think it literally just took me 5 minutes from exiting the game before I got control of my cursor back in Windows.

I'm going to try killing the task with the task manager from now on and see if that expedites it.

KorrZ

CC complainers should read this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=61363

It's all about watching your resolve bar and knowing which CCs are the longer ones. I have my break CC ability mapped to my ~ key, so I can hit it quickly.

Wow, fantastic read. Thanks for linking it, I honestly didn't even know there was a thing like resolve in the game at all. It isn't really explained anywhere in game. I think if they pushed that forward more so people understood how it works it would calm a lot of the rage.

Darklord

Banned
The worst part about Huttball is the commentator. What the fuck were they thinking giving him about 10 sentences to read? He repeats the same shit over and over and over again. I had enough after 1 game.

Beepos

Thinking of picking this up and playing a trooper commando, just curious how popular this class is? One of the least played? Gonna roll it no matter what, just curious.

Quite popular. One of the most played on my server (Swiftsure) outside of the force class users. Still fun to play though!

Piecake

Aw damn, I really am quite tempted to get this game, but I know I probably shouldnt

Imperial Agent just sounds awesome though...

This has probably been asked a billion times, but can you choose your own server (are some locked for high volume?) Id like to get on Keller's Void for the gaf guild if/when i get this game

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
CC complainers should read this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=61363

It's all about watching your resolve bar and knowing which CCs are the longer ones. I have my break CC ability mapped to my ~ key, so I can hit it quickly.

Oh....... God.

Being this is my first MMO, 99.9% of that entire article went completely over my head. I've been playing ToR as a single player game for the most part, save for a couple flashpoints and grouping for a few heroics. I have no strategy other than pressing my hotkeys in an order that seems to work.

If anything, that article scared me away from PvP. lol ;p

CzarTim

Oh....... God.

Being this is my first MMO, 99.9% of that entire article went completely over my head. I've been playing ToR as a single player game for the most part, save for a couple flashpoints and grouping for a few heroics. I have no strategy other than pressing my hotkeys in an order that seems to work.

If anything, that article scared me away from PvP. lol ;p

It's not all that bad. Some matches are shit, others are awesome.

Moaradin

Huttball is the best invention made by mankind, once you play with a team that can throw the ball. Had a blast earlier with a group of friends.

Alex

That resolve bit is something I wanted for eons in WoW (universal diminishing returns as opposed to simply categorical) so that's nice to know, I wasn't aware of it's existence at all.

Darklord

Banned
Where can I find out what the target markers mean? Like the flame, the lightning icon, ect. I have no idea what they mean and it doesn't say.

Moaradin

Where can I find out what the target markers mean? Like the flame, the lightning icon, ect. I have no idea what they mean and it doesn't say.

Don't think they have any specific meaning. It will require the community to assign priorities like they did for the WoW ones.

Balmorra was just too long, dragged out a bit, I liked Nar as I like the Hutts and the storyline (although Nar ended up being too short, never the right balance!)

KorrZ

Balmorra was just too long, dragged out a bit, I liked Nar as I like the Hutts and the storyline (although Nar ended up being too short, never the right balance!)

Personally I think Nar Shadaa is the lowest point of the game. Maybe tied with Tatooine. Nar Shadaa I honestly just found boring, none of the storylines were particularly interesting and it was just way too much running around and having to take the taxis all over the place. Visually it looked great but just..yeah. Tatooine took it to the other extreme of just "Hey! You just got your speeder around this level, why not test it out?!" a very small amount of quests given to you at any time and constantly sending you all the way across the fucking desert. I couldn't even finish Tatooine, I did my class quest and then spent an entire level in the warzones just to get away from it.

Alderaan however is quickly becoming my favourite planet in the game so far. Very interesting quest lines on the Empire side and the scenery is gorgeous.

Really enjoying Mercenary so far. Ranger/hunter is my least favorite class ever, but anything that can heal and do damage in heavy armor is my cup of tea. Been a real weird mix for me.

TheYanger

About halfway through Hoth now on my vanguard, loving it still. Hoth is an amazing looking planet, and I didn't think Balmorra was nearly as boring as some seem to (though it's probably quite different as a pubby than an imp). Credits still flowing in at a way-too-high volume it seems like, but whatever. Ending act 1 felt awesome, hoping act 2 can live up to it.

Maelstrom Prison was awesome. Not gonna spoil it but seriously anyone who doesn't do TaralV/Maelstrom is missing out.

UI still sucks dick, but aggro management feels like a breeze (sort of like current wow, where threat is just a non factor as long as people aren't going balls out on every different target), so it's not AS bad. targetting mobs and crap is still annoying but when you can hold aggro running around hitting everything it's not a big deal. Feels like a BC era warrior tank in heroics to me, basically, which is a good thing - very fun.

Dina

Level 44 now, and just landed on Belsavis.

For me, Hoth was the lowpoint of all the planets I visited. It's like Tatooine in a few key ways, but less interesting, more spread out. It also hurts my eyes so much I had to dial back on the screen brightness.

Lord Phol

RASXZ.jpg

@ the PvP hate.

It's not hard as melee to stay on top of your target, and while yes, it certainly is not easy... Just.. You know: "L2Play" and all that.

Sith War / Jedi Knight: You have snares and you have CC. Is it as robust as ranged classes? Fuck no. You are melee, deal with it.

Spamstring

Chilling Scream -> Savage Kick

Force Crush.

There are more.

Sith Inquisitor / Jedi Consular: You have a fucking AoE snare on top of all the CC lockdowns you get. You don't get to complain about CC. You have CC out the ass. Use it.

Melee is fine.

Rant:

Battlegrounds are and always will be in general a clusterfuck of dipshits and assholes rolling their faces on their keyboards trying to get kills. Start a premade, hop in vent/skype, and communicate.

But don't cry about being melee in a random BG, that's just ridiculous. "I am being targeted by all the CC, FUCK THIS GAME" Sorry you don't get to last hit the random guy with low health, but it's a team oriented mode not a "I press buttons and kill shit, so therefore I win" mode. Be glad the other team is blowing all their CC on you and not the healer healing you or the ball carrier or the 9 other fucking people on your team.

/Fucking rant.

The thing is though the CC durations are way too long and they got really short cooldowns, it's so easy to shut someone completely down with just two people. I haven't even seen this so called anti-cc bar do anything because i'm always dead before it's even 70% filled up.

And yes being meele shouldn't be roll your face over the keyboard and win, but just look at Commandos/Mercs. They got Heavy armor, good damage/minor heals or good heals/minor damage, they got anti-meele pushbacks and slows and shield to negate damage plus they are ranged. They are like Paladin merged with hunters except they don't have a pet.
Once my charge is on cooldown i'm fucked.

And about the brackets thing, you could at least have two brackets 10-25, 26-50, would help alot. I almost never had problems with bg queues in wow and I played alot of low level bgs.
Now I'm playing on the most popluated EU server and it takes like 15-20 minutes to get into a game, with no brackets I don't understand how that's even possible. Perhaps people are too busy open world pvping, which is at least someting to look forward to then (I like open world pvp).

Oh and while I'm at it, do something about the spawn things in voidstar, joining in the mid of a game having your guy fly around the whole map for like 45 seconds while ur comrades are trying to defend is just dumb. And the spawn barrier needs a fix. You can get stuck for like 30 seconds in the wrong room even when everyone has all ready moved on.

//End rant

I know I complain alot but I still enjoy the game, it's just some things really gets on your nerves and some decisions are really hard to understand. But it is an MMO and MMOs evolve over time and (hopefully) gets improved so I still got faith in it.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Don't think they have any specific meaning. It will require the community to assign priorities like they did for the WoW ones.

Yeah thats right, just so you can type attack fire next instead of the guy on the far right or something.

Hopefully press on to level 30 tonight, been dragging my heels a bit the last few days.

TheYanger

While the commando hate is fresh in my mind....I think people really overestimate how survivable a commando/mercenary really are. Yes, they have heavy armor, yes they have a 25% damage reduction CD, but other than that it's not even REMOTELY the same as them being a 'tank' healer. I mean, an operative behind cover is more durable than a Commando or Merc. ComMercs have well under half of the mitigation that a Powertech/Vanguard have, despite the heavy armor (Something like 50% vs 20%), and it's not actually that hard to kill them if you focus them.

CzarTim

While the commando hate is fresh in my mind....I think people really overestimate how survivable a commando/mercenary really are. Yes, they have heavy armor, yes they have a 25% damage reduction CD, but other than that it's not even REMOTELY the same as them being a 'tank' healer. I mean, an operative behind cover is more durable than a Commando or Merc. ComMercs have well under half of the mitigation that a Powertech/Vanguard have, despite the heavy armor (Something like 50% vs 20%), and it's not actually that hard to kill them if you focus them.

As a medic spec com, I can't go head-to-head with anyone unless they REALLY suck.

Moaradin

Operative healers have some defense when under cover but it's very situational as they don't have portable cover. Their range isn't the best so they do have to remain mobile most of the time.

Jakeh111

There are a lot of Bounty hunters. I think it might have something to do with them being the closest thing to a WOW Hunter in this game. They do have a lot of similar moves too.

I just did the Alderaan PVP warzone and thought it was really good. It's pretty much Arathi Basi. It's laggy as hell though. I don't know what was up with that. Is it really laggy for you guys?

I also did Mandalorian Raiders tonight. I thought it had some really cool fights. I'm impressed by what kind of boss mechanics they're throwing at us even in these early dungeons. Some of that stuff you don't see until raids or heroics in WOW. There was something wrong though. None of the bosses dropped any loot except for the last one. :\

I also got to 25 on my BH and got my mount. That's 2 tons with mounts in 1 week of playing. :D I really want some Bobba Fett armor. Does any boss or any vendor have that Mandalorian set? I saw that the PVP vendor has some Storm Trooper orange gear for level 40. I'm definitely going to get that and wear it around.

8cOEq.jpg
I get very bad frames in pvp bg and in cities. I have read its a issue with quad core processor.

I get very bad frames in pvp bg and in cities. I have read its a issue with quad core processor.

I heard it was dual cores, I have a quad and the only place I ever get any lag is the imperial fleet, always assumed it was due to the fact that its always packed tho.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Can someone tell me if it's possible to skill (not just play extremely gimped) either a Jedi Guardian DPS-oriented or a Jedi Sentinel with just one lightsaber?

I don't dig the dual-wielding.

Basically are all the skills in the Jedi Sentinel path requiring that you have two sabers equipped?

TheYanger

Can someone tell me if it's possible to skill (not just play extremely gimped) either a Jedi Guardian DPS-oriented or a Jedi Sentinel with just one lightsaber?

I don't dig the dual-wielding.

Basically are all the skills in the Jedi Sentinel path requiring that you have two sabers equipped?

single blade sentinel = no.
dps guardian = yes.
Any class has 2 dps trees minimum.

Top Bottom