• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Guesong

Man the Bounty Hunter storyline is starting to kill my interest in the class.

Up to Alderaan right now...doesn't help that the planet itself is boring, but man is it tedious. Duke of Durasteel, whatever, zzz.

Azzurri

Man the Bounty Hunter storyline is starting to kill my interest in the class.

Up to Alderaan right now...doesn't help that the planet itself is boring, but man is it tedious. Duke of Durasteel, whatever, zzz.

I wasn't a fan of that planet either.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Run away and shoot at them?

i.. uh.. i know this. i responding to what TheYanger said about a person in cover being more durable than a Commando or Merc.

Healing in PVP is very different than WoW, from what I've experienced.

• No schools of magic, only single spell interrupts.
  • Slow casting heals
  • Not too many dispels, unlike WoW where tons of classes could dispel
  • Heals are cheaper, but don't heal as much

It's very different, and I think more challenging. Needs some tweaking, but a lot better than WoW where every healer was essentially invincible. I'm a healer, by the way.
Sure its different but the main issue is the UI.

1. The party interface health bars dont move. They dont update. They dont do shit. Once in a blue moon they will work. Most of the time however they report full health always regardless of how close to dying people are.

2. Visual cues. It is extremely difficult to take a look at the characters fighting and single out allies from enemies. The health bars are teeny tiny things under character names and titles and guild names. If two people are fighting or even near each other, its a crapshoot trying to target appropriately.

3. Who the fuck do i have targeted? There is a super small arrow that highlights who you have selected. Again its really difficult to see especially in the midst of battle.

edit: heres a picture to help illustrate what i mean..
Q4wWT.jpg

4. Chat bar up top. If/when the party/OP health bar works this wont be an issue but if i have to click someone on the screen to target them far away i sometimes hit the chat bar. This wouldnt be a problem if the box were below.. i wouldnt need to mouse click an ally in the bottom 10% of my screen but at the bottom of the top third? Thats like 20 meters away and it happens often enough i just close the chat box entirely.

sangreal

can i friend someone in the opposite faction? trying to add a friend but "name not found"

No, you can't send them tells either. But don't worry, you will occasionally get that same error trying to friend people of the same faction if they aren't online.

Wallach

So, yesterday I had the Codex spoil the plot arc ending for act 1, when I was about 5 minutes from actually having that plot point revealed in the story. That was cool.

On the plus side, while I was there getting spoiled I killed the droid world boss on Nar Shaddaa with a group of 7. That thing is a joke. Nabbed another purple item mod, and he also dropped a nice Jedi robe and lightsaberstaff.

Piecake

This is probably completely infeasible and unworkable, but I think it would be pretty freakin awesome for the expansion if they basically created an invasion - planetary defense scenario

They could explain this by having the Sith/Jedi discovering a planet that has a resource that changes the tide of the war. Every month or so, a massive battle takes place to determine who controls that planet (and all of the stuff to do on it). I am talking about massive invasion - like space combat versus actual players (attackers versus defenders). The defenders manning turrets and also simple ground defense. The attackers having ground and planetary plane fighters as well

What I think what would make this interesting is that after a year or so in the game, depending on who controlled the planet the most, the war turns in their favor. So basically it isnt just a balanced stale-mate, but the war changes depending on the circumstances of your server.

To re-balance it, they could come up with a patch after that year that basically has the loser go on a discovery mission in deep space to find some secret weapon that will give them a fighting chance or change the war in their favor.

Again, probably impossible, but I thoght it sounded cool. Still, it would be pretty cool if we could partake in a massive planetary attack/defense even if my cool consequences are simply unworkable.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Empire-GAF down the world boss on Nar Sha?

I don't know if that's happened yet. Technically he's after the Tatooine World Boss (the bonus series on Nar Shadaa is higher leveled than Tat, and is where you find the world boss).

There was a group with some GAFers looking to do it this morning after we downed the Tat boss, but not sure if it happened because folks weren't exactly sure where it was + the level 30 mobs.

bill0527

I rolled a Sith Warrior yesterday and got some good shots of Korriban. Apparently my photobucket account downrezzed them a bit, but they are were still impressive. Taken on a 560ti 1GB card.

Screenshot_2011-12-23_22_51_30_307894.jpg

Screenshot_2011-12-23_22_51_08_976674.jpg

And this one is probably my favorite because its so damn vast.

Screenshot_2011-12-23_22_51_40_879499.jpg

Wallach

I don't know if that's happened yet. Technically he's after the Tatooine World Boss (the bonus series on Nar Shadaa is higher leveled than Tat, and is where you find the world boss).

There was a group with some GAFers looking to do it this morning after we downed the Tat boss, but not sure if it happened because folks weren't exactly sure where it was + the level 30 mobs.

He's super easy. Like I said, we killed it with 7 people, and I was the highest one @ 35 (the average level was like 32). It enraged and myself and a Sage continued healing through the rest of the encounter without realizing it for at least a full minute, and carried on for another two minutes maybe until it died.

Edit - BTW to get to that world boss, go to High Sec Lockdown -> Network Security District, then go down to the end of the east wing of that area.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i just wanted to say that the "scrolling" text when you log into your character is extremely well done. It seems as if every step of the way is written out so you are instantly brought back up to speed on where you are in the story. Its a very nice touch.

i just wanted to say that the "scrolling" text when you log into your character is extremely well done. It seems as if every step of the way is written out so you are instantly brought back up to speed on where you are in the story. Its a very nice touch.

I dont get scrolling text when I log in, just a load screen that tells me about the chapter im on....

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I dont get scrolling text when I log in, just a load screen that tells me about the chapter im on....
Thats why i put scrolling in "".. its because its the famous SW scrolling text that isnt scrolling.

edit: i guess the correct term is text crawl but you know what i mean.

So, can anybody who's reached the end of Act I for the "Legacy" system elaborate on what exactly it's for? I know about the "legacy" surname, but I remember reading that it might add new race options for certain classes. Is that the case, was it scrapped, or is it going to happen later?

I don't know, it's probably nostalgia but I think I preferred Tatooine in Galaxies to it in this game. Not to say it's bad in this one, I just think it was much larger in Galaxies and felt more like a desert.
The only desert-like area in this one was way to the west, and therefore wasn't very large at all.

The desert balloon ride was very interesting, though. Reminds me of the obscure things you had to do to become force sensitive in Galaxies.

Thats why i put scrolling in "".. its because its the famous SW scrolling text that isnt scrolling.

edit: i guess the correct term is text crawl but you know what i mean.

I know what you mean, the intro to every star wars thing ever has it.

I just get a normal loading screen, when I log in. unless your only talking about when you create your character.

edit: unless you just mean that the words in the loading screen are worded like the typical SW crawl, but I dont really find it all that interesting if thats all your talking about.

Filth

Hey guys. Is it just me or did boarding party flashpoint get buffed? The last boss seems harder then it should be. We kill medic first 2 dps on him while tank tanks security. We kill medic then move on to security. He dies. And then boss by that time if one person dies it bugs and no one gets loot. :( Is there an easier way to do this boss because me and 4 friends have expurence playing and it seems much harder then it should. We are all 33+.

Thoraxes

Where do I get this?
Attach a security token/mobile authenticator to you account and go to the Security Vendor on the fleet, he's in the south-east portion of the middle area, on the second-tier I think. My main character wears this for all story cutscenes now.
You can disable the display of headgear
Oh I know, and I do. I just didn't buy the headgear because of the display bug. It displays underneath my hair :/

AtomHeart

Neo Member
It seems like almost every single piece of chest armour I've had for the Jedi Guardian has a hood on it, I haven't seen my hair in around 18 levels now and every robe is just a reskinned version of the old one! My IA had a ton of interesting armour in comparison, so I'm pretty disappointed in the selection so far.

I get very bad frames in pvp bg and in cities. I have read its a issue with quad core processor.

I heard it was dual cores, I have a quad and the only place I ever get any lag is the imperial fleet, always assumed it was due to the fact that its always packed tho.

Well, I have a 3 core Phenom. Where does that put me? :p I I don't know why Alderaan would make the game slow down to a slideshow. There's nothing special going on in there as far as graphics go and I'm using a 6950 2GB. I thought it was just laggy as fuck. It's either that or just the generally shitty performance AMD users are getting.

Sethos

Banned
Dammit, all I want is a simple black cape with hood on my Sith Warrior but I keep getting this officer looking crap and awful shoulderpads :(

Spookie

placewotlooknice1.jpg
placewotlooknice2.jpg

placewotlooknice3.jpg

Though they look nice they are all barren with less than 40 people populating a zone and the quests are putting me to sleep. :(

Ken

Is there any way to purchase an Old Republic product key or equivalent for a friend? Need to grab a copy for a friend who already has a SWTOR account but no product key.

FStop7

Banned
I ran into my first Republic scum (other players) on Tatooine. I thought about attacking one of them but he was 2 levels higher than me. Still it was cool to stand there on the top of a nearby dune, cloaked, watching the comings and goings of the players from the other side.

Zafir

Dammit, all I want is a simple black cape with hood on my Sith Warrior but I keep getting this officer looking crap and awful shoulderpads :(
I know exactly what you mean. I'm a level 39 Juggernaut and I STILL haven't come across any hooded chestpieces. Fortunately my headpiece for the moment looks rather cool.

Top Bottom