• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Wallach

Neat bug for Scoundrel healers - the Psych Meds talent in Sawbones is bugged and making Triage heal twice. At 36 I get around 1000-1100 healing from hitting Triage right now.

LiK

i'm new to this MMO thingy. So does it matter what server I choose right at the beginning? is my character locked to one server?

I initially started playing as a Bounty Hunter on a server but had to wait in a queue last night so I decided to jump on Keller's Void and set up a Jedi Knight. I would love to join the GAF clan. This is my first mmo and it is a bit overwhelming so some companions would be great. I haven't really committed to the jedi knight yet (only put in a few hours) so I can definitely set up a new character if that helps the cause. I am sure I will get to them all in time anyway.

How do I go about getting access to the GAF clan?

You can. You miss out on heroics quests which need a group and flashpoints too, but the xp is enough to solo level to 50.

I've soloed like 95% of the time.

thanks!

I initially started playing as a Bounty Hunter on a server but had to wait in a queue last night so I decided to jump on Keller's Void and set up a Jedi Knight. I would love to join the GAF clan. This is my first mmo and it is a bit overwhelming so some companions would be great. I haven't really committed to the jedi knight yet (only put in a few hours) so I can definitely set up a new character if that helps the cause. I am sure I will get to them all in time anyway.

How do I go about getting access to the GAF clan?

queue? hmm... that's not very good. it sounds like different servers have different worlds and rules...

so if you buy the eu version, can you still play na servers or vice versa?

I made a female trooper, just to hear Jennifer Hale...

2ESy6.jpg

From the perspective on PvP from a level 29 Knight Guardian, Vigilance spec (DPS) :

I'm not a god at pvping. I've never been that. Nor am I competitive. I only play for the lulz.

Being a Guardian, 4 guys on me is really bad. Then I die very fast. If they stun/interrupt/slow me in sequence it's easily bad.

Sometimes I am able to jump a group of three. Usually what I do is that I rotate my targets constantly. I go only after people with the lowest possible health. I never finish a 1 vs 1. If everyone have full health I just go for the healer, and try and tag along.

The first thing I usually do is put guard on the best healer on our team. Usually for the first 3 minutes I take notice of which healers seem most productive and interested in healing the team, and then for then on it's my mission, my own personal meta game to guard this healer. I let the others worry about the objective. That's not my game. I just keep this guy who is trying to heal everyone alive. When he gets jumped I taunt and try to slow them down.

This is one ofthe things from Warhammer I love. I can tank in pvp. Just because im DPS spec and deals damage it does not mean I don't absorb and protect others.

Usually I am nr. 1 or 2 damage absorbation, but surprisingly I am usually also very high in kills. But this is because I always change target and force leap(aka Warrior WoW Charge) on the enemies with lowest health.

The way I look at it = The fact that I am taking all the hits means that my team mates take less hits. It's tanking for pvp. even as DPS spec. The art and science of it is to survive and stay alive so you can keep protecting without having to run back.

I think the PvP is beautiful.

I just don't like Huttball. Huttball has weird mechanics, throwing the ball is unintuitive. And I don't enjoy the randomness of it. Also I feel that as a Guardian. I wish I was an Agent or a Assassin or BH. But I plain just dont enjoy that game type.

getfile.php

my new Jedi Consular.
The idea was to play him evil. I tried to make a Buddha. Fat body type, complexion has red cheeks, and the Mirilian tattoo reflects the tears of some buddha scriptures.

I love it so far. Im getting immense enjoyment from seeing my creations in cut scenes, and being cruel. I've been cruel before, but when you really nail a character it's gold.

This character creation could be much better but you can still hit strides with it. What people don't take into consideration is that games like EVE, APB and CoH don't have cinematics with so many facial changes.

I do wish for more faces and hairstyles though. That's what I hope they will add. Perhaps a specific age slider.

From the perspective on PvP from a level 29 Knight Guardian, Vigilance spec (DPS) :

I'm not a god at pvping. I've never been that. Nor am I competitive. I only play for the lulz.

Being a Guardian, 4 guys on me is really bad. Then I die very fast. If they stun/interrupt/slow me in sequence it's easily bad.

Sometimes I am able to jump a group of three. Usually what I do is that I rotate my targets constantly. I go only after people with the lowest possible health. I never finish a 1 vs 1. If everyone have full health I just go for the healer, and try and tag along.

The first thing I usually do is put guard on the best healer on our team. Usually for the first 3 minutes I take notice of which healers seem most productive and interested in healing the team, and then for then on it's my mission, my own personal meta game to guard this healer. I let the others worry about the objective. That's not my game. I just keep this guy who is trying to heal everyone alive. When he gets jumped I taunt and try to slow them down.

This is one ofthe things from Warhammer I love. I can tank in pvp. Just because im DPS spec and deals damage it does not mean I don't absorb and protect others.

Usually I am nr. 1 or 2 damage absorbation, but surprisingly I am usually also very high in kills. But this is because I always change target and force leap(aka Warrior WoW Charge) on the enemies with lowest health.

The way I look at it = The fact that I am taking all the hits means that my team mates take less hits. It's tanking for pvp. even as DPS spec. The art and science of it is to survive and stay alive so you can keep protecting without having to run back.

I think the PvP is beautiful.

I just don't like Huttball. Huttball has weird mechanics, throwing the ball is unintuitive. And I don't enjoy the randomness of it. Also I feel that as a Guardian. I wish I was an Agent or a Assassin or BH. But I plain just dont enjoy that game type.

2myno79.jpg

my new Jedi Consular.
The idea was to play him evil. I tried to make a Buddha. Fat body type, complexion has red cheeks, and the Mirilian tattoo reflects the tears of some buddha scriptures.

I love it so far. Im getting immense enjoyment from seeing my creations in cut scenes, and being cruel. I've been cruel before, but when you really nail a character it's gold.

This character creation could be much better but you can still hit strides with it. What people don't take into consideration is that games like EVE, APB and CoH don't have cinematics with so many facial changes.

I do wish for more faces and hairstyles though. That's what I hope they will add. Perhaps a specific age slider.

what happen when you die? penalty?

Spookie

Just finished Act 1 of the BH. Well. That was a bit of an anti-climax.

Minor Spoilers about what you do:

I was expecting some grand space battle before boarding the ship then a rush to defeat your target. Instead I got another go from A to B and kill X then leave. Meh.

Just finished Act 1 of the BH. Well. That was a bit of an anti-climax.

Minor Spoilers about what you do:

I was expecting some grand space battle before boarding the ship then a rush to defeat your target. Instead I got another go from A to B and kill X then leave. Meh.

Yeah lol, BH should be renamed "Hitman". All I've done so far is murder targets for money - it's been a pretty one-dimensional story so far (lvl 20), especially since I'm playing straight dark side.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
http://i.imgur.com/RASXZ.jpg[IMG]

@ the PvP hate.

It's not hard as melee to stay on top of your target, and while yes, it certainly is not easy... Just.. You know: "L2Play" and all that.

Sith War / Jedi Knight: You have snares and you have CC. Is it as robust as ranged classes? Fuck no. You are melee, deal with it.

Spamstring

[URL="http://www.torhead.com/ability/7eLd3W2"]Chilling Scream[/URL] -> [URL="http://www.torhead.com/ability/eOZTLo8"]Savage Kick[/URL]

[URL="http://www.torhead.com/ability/5usp6Ub"]Force Crush.[/URL]

There are [URL="http://www.torhead.com/class/41M7ZqV"]more.[/URL]

Sith Inquisitor / Jedi Consular: You have a fucking AoE snare on top of all the CC lockdowns you get. You don't get to complain about CC. You have CC out the ass. Use it.

[U]Melee is fine.[/U]

Rant:

Battlegrounds are and always will be in general a clusterfuck of dipshits and assholes rolling their faces on their keyboards trying to get kills. Start a premade, hop in vent/skype, and communicate.

But don't cry about being melee in a random BG, that's just ridiculous. "I am being targeted by all the CC, FUCK THIS GAME" Sorry you don't get to last hit the random guy with low health, but it's a team oriented mode not a "I press buttons and kill shit, so therefore I win" mode. Be glad the other team is blowing all their CC on you and not the healer [I]healing[/I] you or the ball carrier or the 9 other fucking people on your team.

/Fucking rant.[/QUOTE]
Its funny because if you asked me yesterday i would have said ranged sucks lol After i got a few more levels (i started PVP stuff at 10 lol) and getting the knowledge of what classes do what and how to adapt im doing much better. ive only just hit 18 but im doing at least 4000% better than the other day.

Zeal

Banned
I can't decide if I wanna level a Jedi Knight or stick to my Sith Marauder.

Jeez, the Jedi is as badass as the Sith for once, so this is hard.

hyduK

Banned
So which city is the hub in this game, the Ironforge/Orgrimmar of Vanilla WoW if you will? (if there is one). I'm a Sith.

Moaradin

So which city is the hub in this game, the Ironforge/Orgrimmar of Vanilla WoW if you will? (if there is one). I'm a Sith.

Imperial Fleet and the Republic equivalent is the main hub. There are actual cities in most worlds but the Imperial Fleet is set up to be the central hub.

For the first time in a long time, I have no desire to roll an alt. My evil female Sith Assassin (Madness) is so much god damned fun.

I was skeptical but it appears Bioware did the impossible in making me care about the story in an MMO. The incredible voice acting plays a huge part in this no doubt.

Well done!

Anno

Rolled up an IA as my Empire character. Only put in about an hour and a half but what everyone's been saying is true, the story is pretty slick. James Bond with a blaster rifle serving the Sith...can't really beat that. I'm less sure that I like the mechanics compared to my Sage, but I suppose I'll get used to it. I'm pretty sure these are the only two characters I'll roll for a very very long time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Rolled up an IA as my Empire character. Only put in about an hour and a half but what everyone's been saying is true, the story is pretty slick. James Bond with a blaster rifle serving the Sith...can't really beat that. I'm less sure that I like the mechanics compared to my Sage, but I suppose I'll get used to it. I'm pretty sure these are the only two characters I'll roll for a very very long time.

As you get more abilities and your companion, it'll get easier.

Isn't the female BH Jennifer Hale? Becuz that's what I'm rolling and it sounds a lot like her.

The female bounty hunter is voiced by Grey Delisle. She's done work in all Bioware games (going back to the Baldur's Gate games), and, recently, she's voiced Catwoman in Batman AC.

Full list:

Bounty hunter male: Tom Spackman
Bounty hunter female: Grey Delisle
Imperial agent male: Bertie Carvel
Imperial agent female: Jo Wyatt
Jedi knight male: David Hayter
Jedi knight female: Kari Wahlgren
Jedi consular male: Nolan North
Jedi consular female: Athena Karkanis
Sith inquisitor male: Euan Morton
Sith inquisitor female: Xanthe Elbrick
Sith warrior male: Mark Bazely
Sith warrior female: Natasha Little
Smuggler male: Maury Sterling
Smuggler female: Kath Soucie
Trooper male: Brian Bloom
Trooper female: Jennifer Hale (also voices Satele Shan)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
PvP as a healer is brutal. Hard as fuck to heal anything when the party nameplates dont update and the bars above peoples heads are super fucking tiny while having huge fucking text lol

Also want to buy a heal that doesnt have a 2-3 second cast.

Anno

As you get more abilities and your companion, it'll get easier.

Oh, it isn't really hard. Just takes some time to get used to moving from cover to cover and when to use out of cover abilities. I like to dive into cover by a dude and then shiv him. That's pretty satisfying.

For the first time in a long time, I have no desire to roll an alt. My evil female Sith Assassin (Madness) is so much god damned fun.

I was skeptical but it appears Bioware did the impossible in making me care about the story in an MMO. The incredible voice acting plays a huge part in this no doubt.

Well done!

I am fucking stuck in alt HELL at the moment. It is completely detracting from my ability to get to the upper levels. I've got a 14 juggernaut, 12 vanguard, 13 sniper, 8 inquisitor, and as of last night a 7 bounty hunter. I guess the best thing to do would just be force myself to stay on the Jug, but holy fuck there are just so many of them, and I always enjoy playing the least played class. Literally every group I've been in has been all force users, unless I was the sniper, which bugs me greatly for some reason. I really enjoy the IA stuff, but I just really dislike the cover mechanic.

Which is also why I'm thinking about rerolling an IA and going Ops. Assuming that uses less cover.

Won

Finally got my stealth opener yesterday and it is just stupid. Great burst, 3 second stun and soon it will have a dot and somekind of armor debuff too. What the hell?

I picked this up yesterday and started up a female IA named Ondine on Kellers Void. Once I figured out the cover mechanic, it became enjoyable. I'm level 8 right now and am probably going to go for the SnIper class when I hit 10. There's something pretty satisfying about picking off mobs in one shot. Say hi if you see me around.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Hit level 19 with my IA Sniper... this is my first subscription MMO and I'm enjoying the hell out of it as a huge SW/KotOR fan. Basically just grouping with my brother's Sith Assassin the entire way through.

cipheragentm50er.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
PvP as a healer is brutal. Hard as fuck to heal anything when the party nameplates dont update and the bars above peoples heads are super fucking tiny while having huge fucking text lol

Healing in PVP is very different than WoW, from what I've experienced.

• No schools of magic, only single spell interrupts.
  • Slow casting heals
  • Not too many dispels, unlike WoW where tons of classes could dispel
  • Heals are cheaper, but don't heal as much

It's very different, and I think more challenging. Needs some tweaking, but a lot better than WoW where every healer was essentially invincible. I'm a healer, by the way.

pfkas

I'm absolutely loving this, particularly the random heroics. Really enjoying grouping. Great fun when you get a good team going. I'm certainly no MMO expert, but I've tried a fair few and they don't usually hold my attention past the initial excitement. We'll see with this one.

I might re-roll soon to try out some of the other classes. I've been playing DPS (Gunslinger), but fancy rolling my sleeves up and becoming a bit more responsible. Tank or Healer? hmm At least it'll save me waiting for one of those to turn up to my team.

Also, might be an idea to join EuroGAF's guild.

Cystm

The thing is though the CC durations are way too long and they got really short cooldowns, it's so easy to shut someone completely down with just two people. I haven't even seen this so called anti-cc bar do anything because i'm always dead before it's even 70% filled up.

In a 2v1 situation, you should not be on equal footing. You should be locked down.

And yes being meele shouldn't be roll your face over the keyboard and win, but just look at Commandos/Mercs. They got Heavy armor, good damage/minor heals or good heals/minor damage, they got anti-meele pushbacks and slows and shield to negate damage plus they are ranged. They are like Paladin merged with hunters except they don't have a pet.
Once my charge is on cooldown i'm fucked.

Spamstring.

And about the brackets thing, you could at least have two brackets 10-25, 26-50, would help alot. I almost never had problems with bg queues in wow and I played alot of low level bgs.

Eventually, sure. This is a launch though, brackets would make matches take so much longer to pop, because everyone is leveling at their own god damn pace.

Now I'm playing on the most popluated EU server and it takes like 15-20 minutes to get into a game, with no brackets I don't understand how that's even possible. Perhaps people are too busy open world pvping, which is at least someting to look forward to then (I like open world pvp).

I never have more than a 5 minute queue as an Imperial on The Crucible Pits server, usually it's close to instant.

Oh and while I'm at it, do something about the spawn things in voidstar, joining in the mid of a game having your guy fly around the whole map for like 45 seconds while ur comrades are trying to defend is just dumb. And the spawn barrier needs a fix. You can get stuck for like 30 seconds in the wrong room even when everyone has all ready moved on.

//End rant

Why would they make it that way? How can we, as players, adapt to the function of that mechanic? This goes back to the face rolling I mentioned before. It comes down to knowing how to win vs trying to kill everything on your screen immediately in your vicinity that has low health.

In other words, you communicate with the people on your team to minimize losses, you los where you need to, you defend your capture points, you focus down healers, and you work as a team. If your team cannot meet those criteria, you deserve to lose your capture point.

PUG Warzones, you are going to have the problem of people just running off and trying to get kills. Changing those particular mechanics is not going to fix that.

I know I complain alot but I still enjoy the game, it's just some things really gets on your nerves and some decisions are really hard to understand. But it is an MMO and MMOs evolve over time and (hopefully) gets improved so I still got faith in it.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Happy Holidays. :)

One of the few things you can actually customize in this game is your raid frames.

So, go into your preferences, set your party frames to raid frames, and then you can adjust the height and width of the frames so they can be more visible.

oneils

I'm trying to find a guide for advanced trooper armour. Does anyone here know of one? For instance, I'm trying to figure out what these "cores" and "generators" do.

The manual does not really go into great detail about items.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
While the commando hate is fresh in my mind....I think people really overestimate how survivable a commando/mercenary really are. Yes, they have heavy armor, yes they have a 25% damage reduction CD, but other than that it's not even REMOTELY the same as them being a 'tank' healer. I mean, an operative behind cover is more durable than a Commando or Merc. ComMercs have well under half of the mitigation that a Powertech/Vanguard have, despite the heavy armor (Something like 50% vs 20%), and it's not actually that hard to kill them if you focus them.

Cover isnt very effective in PvP from my experience so far. Nobody has just shot at me while im behind cover. They run up to me. Since im not mobile they close distance in like 2 seconds and beat on me until im dead.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, this game wins for the best laugh in gaming this year since Portal 2, seeing my partner's character playing her sith female warrior

"I will eat you when I am done killing you." The responses to the two groups was fantastic, and then telling the imperial guard that she was serious when he thought it was a bluff made it for me.
This game's writing has everything for me. Bioware redeemed for 2011.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cover isnt very effective in PvP from my experience so far. Nobody has just shot at me while im behind cover. They run up to me. Since im not mobile they close distance in like 2 seconds and beat on me until im dead.
You need to use stuff like the flashbang, cover pulse, leg shot, etc to control crowds/spacing to try and allow you to move to a better spot where help can get you some assistance. If it's just one opponent, debilitate is your main friend - try and get enough damage done during the stun period that you can just kill them outright with your highest damage abilities.

Top Bottom