• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

SPEA

This is the main problem. I like my towns full of people, regardless of whether or not they're idiots. The first 'M' of MMO is hardly being fulfilled right now.

Do they do that for traffic and stability purposes? Like could Bioware potentially, once initial release traffic dwindles a bit, make zones 1 instance?

Moaradin

Do they do that for traffic and stability purposes? Like could Bioware potentially, once initial release traffic dwindles a bit, make zones 1 instance?

They already do that now. No world has a set number of instances. It depends on the player count and server latency. If you go to the Imperial Fleet there will be 200 people in a pretty small area with no multiple instances.

I have a friend playing the game with me right now who keeps sayings this is the case, although I've never actually read anything about them eventually consolidating all the instances or whatever. Does anyone have a link to anything that points to that?

TheYanger

Sounds like a casual server is all, yeah. being higher than the curve always leaves you with less people. That's normal, nothing Bioware can do about it. On Helm of Graush republic there are 98 people 40-50 atm. Figure about 75% of them are smashed into 3 planets, you're bound to run into people.

Sullen

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a level 39 Juggernaut and I STILL haven't come across any hooded chestpieces. Fortunately my headpiece for the moment looks rather cool.

I got a hooded chestpiece at like level 10 on my Sith Sorcerer. Sucks for Juggernauts!

mik83kuu

Banned
Nothing in the Patc Notes about disabling the sticky cam. I am disappoint. Clearly Bioware doesn't have their priorities straight ;-)

I'm loving the game very much right now and I hope they reach another million sooner than later.

I'm currently in level 20s so the zones have lots of people in them. Over 100 according to the counter at top-left of my screen.

FStop7

Banned
The SWTOR sales thread is amazing.

1. 2004 graphics.

2. "I'm disappointed it's selling well."

I'm going to fire up this 7 year old looking failure now and play it for a few more hours.

Alex

I don't even bother outside of official threads anymore, too much stupidity and cynicism, feels like it's gotten really bad the past year or so and I've been here for over a decade. I have my complaints with just about everything but the older I get the less I give a shit about peoples whiny, rage filled bullshit.

I havent got to play much last couple days, and I've been lazy on taking shots AND I've been messing with an alt so mine are a bit older now but I figured Id post some for fun.

v4dTI.jpg

ciNgv.jpg

UH5kQ.jpg

XTsOA.jpg

vgHSb.jpg

joDNZ.jpg

I mostly just posted the first one because that fat twi'lek guy is awesome. When I left off I mostly just wrapped up Nar Shadaa, played a bunch of huttball, did the last flash point again, forgot the name and started in a Sith Warrior to goof around onfor a bit while things are hectic here

Sethos

Banned
What idiot made the language filter? Doesn't even look at the entire word but fractions of it and then blocks it. Even something simple as "shooter" is blocked.

C'mon.

Alex

What idiot made the language filter? Doesn't even look at the entire word but even fractions of it and then blocks it. Even something simple as "shooter" is blocked.

C'mon.

Hahahaha it is so bad, it was censoring anything you could vaguely twist to make offensive. I think some iteration of PSO was the other game I can think of that had such an insane filter.

Does bioware realize how boring the zones are with no people?

I've reached Taris yesterday and... I'm bored out of my mind. Run here, kill these, pick that up and bring back here.. or wait.. drop it off there. And no, I don't run into too many folks. Or maybe its because we are all sprinting pass each too fast to even notice there are other people occupying the server. Fatigue has definitely kicked in and the fact that it really doesn't seem like there is much going on... sure I can play PvP or keep doing the same flashpoints over and over. I just sick of these dang "Cities", I've been ready to see something open-world-ish 2-3 cities ago. Tatoonie looks awesome though..

I don't even bother outside of official threads anymore, too much stupidity and cynicism, feels like it's gotten really bad the past year or so and I've been here for over a decade. I have my complaints with just about everything but the older I get the less I give a shit about peoples whiny, rage filled bullshit.

Ok, this game isn't above criticism (of any type apparently). But some of it is definitely warranted and true, whether you like it or not. People complain there is too much bitching going from the inside while from the outside, a LOT of these official threads are Love-ins/circle jerk fest (and both are true -- either completely or to an extent). Take the good with the bad folks. Seriously, the game isn't perfect.. what game is? one of the reasons we see so multiple threads: one if the official, lovey dovey one and then you have the angst/roid rage filled one(s). I haven't see a thread in a while where there was a healthy discussion coming from BOTH sides. If someone brings up a valid point about a shortcoming or whatever, why can't it be discussed in said thread instead of shot down with another form of discontentment in not agreeing with said statement. And no, what I said doesn't only or mostly pertain to this thread.

In short: both sides of the argument are fucked.

Morn

Banned
People on this forum during beta were swearing up and down that the zone instancing would only be at launch and only on the starting planets. It happens on ALL the planets.

Emitan

Game is running poorly on my laptop. Just going to wait until January. It's still perfectly playable, but I'd rather do something else.

Alex

Gah, I'm having a difficult time finding the settings to force AA. I've checked the OP about it, but my PC is refusing to be simple. I've found the TOR file, even the client, which doesn't include AA. This is depressing.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that you have to do this, something about it not being optimized yet but come on.

Anyhow, go to:

C > Users > [your PC's Name] > App Data > Local > SWTOR > swtor > settings > client_settings.ini.

When you open it up, you'll get a list of visual options you have configured:

uE66K.jpg

Like this, sort of, depending what you have of course.

Add the line: AntiAliasingLevel = 2

You can change the 2 to 4 or 8 if you wish, but its not really optimized as said, and fairly taxing.

timkunedo

I rolled a Marauder and was kind of regretting it. Thought i should have went Juggernaut, but now that i have a new companion that heals I'm liking it a lot more. Part of me still wishing i could wear heavy armor though.

I do indeed regret not going heals on my Jedi Consular though :/

so i know you can't change your class, but can you respec your skill tree down the line if you find out you made a terrible mistake?

skill tree seems a little weird in that i have points now to upgrade an ability that i'm not eligible to train for until 25 levels from now. can't decide if Scrapper or Dirty Fighting would be better for my Scoundrel since I don't really know what any of the abilities do yet, so I'm hesitant to spend my points.

Spookie

If you're not going to allow dual spec just yet at least decrease the cost of respeccing. Christ I'm already at 22k! Tempted just to fuck it off and stay as DPS regardless of what my friends need me as. It's too much of a money sink.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
If you're not going to allow dual spec just yet at least decrease the cost of respeccing. Christ I'm already at 22k! Tempted just to fuck it off and stay as DPS regardless of what my friends need me as. It's too much of a money sink.

I was about to bitch about the same damn thing.

I do not like it

Ketch

I have a friend playing the game with me right now who keeps sayings this is the case, although I've never actually read anything about them eventually consolidating all the instances or whatever. Does anyone have a link to anything that points to that?

Yes, I posted this a couple pages back, but here it is again. Giantbomb Interviewed the lead writer, basically just PR but they did specifically address the empty spaces, instances, and dark/light side points when it comes to min/maxing.

It's a good interview if not a little fluffy.

nataku

Yeah, I just switched to a healer on my Smuggler and I really hate that I can't play what I want to, when I want to, without forking over a ton of credits after just a few respecs.

Not having dual specs might not be that big of a deal for pure DPS classes, but for those DPS/Tank or DPS/healer classes it hurts. Personally, if playing a healing Smuggler is significantly slower in leveling up than a DPS spec I probably won't try healing again. I can't afford it, even though I'd like to play the role of a healer sometimes for FPs when needed.

Tacitus_

Oh damn, the conversation choices actually can matter in terms of story. Oooops. Maybe I shouldn't have told her to fuck off >_>

Belfast

I do wish people would chill with the nar shadaa screenshots. You get to take the taxi through some decent looking scenery but it completely ignores the boring cut and paste corridors that you actually spend 99% of your time slogging through.

Milly79

I do wish people would chill with the nar shadaa screenshots. You get to take the taxi through some decent looking scenery but it completely ignores the boring cut and paste corridors that you actually spend 99% of your time slogging through.

I agree with the corridors. So boring. :[

People on this forum during beta were swearing up and down that the zone instancing would only be at launch and only on the starting planets. It happens on ALL the planets.

There was Zone instancing on all the worlds in the beta given the day....

All the other info was just half-truths or out right lies.

Zafir

I personally find the copy and pasted generic cave worse. If you've played the game for a decent amount of time, you should know the cave that I mean. I've seen it used for a quite a few instanced quests.

It doesn't bother me too much though, especially considering how massive the world is. It certainly isn't at Dragon Age 2's level of copy and pasting.

Carm

Hrm, anyone else just get dropped to desktop? Logged back in, selected character and right back to desktop again. I was just sitting in the fleet, wth.

Milly79

Anyone on Nar Sha (Empire) wanna hit up some heroics tonight? I have 3-4 2+ or 4 I need to knock out. I'm Predeesh, btw. Whisp if interested in an hr~

Hell yeah finally found a way to get the game!

Too bad I was so excited that I made a character last night without look g for which server gaf is one. No way to move characters either. Oh well that is too expected in launch.

Just remade my consular on kellers void. Anyone got a new character that wants to run early quests. It's so boring a third time lol

Top Bottom