• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Zafir

I've been having some FPS issues as well. When leveling through Taris my game came to a complete crawl when going inside instanced areas, like caves or buildings.

Ken

Finally level 10, got my companion, and am on my way to Coruscant as a Republic Trooper. Really enjoying the game, but I have a few questions before I get back into it tomorrow:

1) Which location is the earliest where I can find a class advancement NPC? Didn't find one on Ord Mantell besides the skill trainer.

2) This NPC is telling to me to take a small ship to Coruscant if I'm alone or go on the other ship to start a Flashpoint (?) if I'm with others. Is that something I can do at level 10 with just my AI companion?

3) Does PvP match you with similar level players? What do you gain if you win and what happens if you lose?

4) Am I able to change my crafting/gathering skills after I've chosen them?

I've been having some FPS issues as well. When leveling through Taris my game came to a complete crawl when going inside instanced areas, like caves or buildings.

Turn shadows to low (or if that doesn't work, off), that should fix it. I tried exerimentig with a plethora of different combinations, but it was as simple as leaving everything else on high and turning shadows down. Obviously it defends on your computer, but shadows are killing even decent ones, even with other settings turned right down.

1) Which location is the earliest where I can find a class advancement NPC? Didn't find one on Ord Mantell besides the skill trainer. (Beleive you do this where you are now, someone should be highlighted to talk to and guide you to your advanced class trainer)

2) This NPC is telling to me to take a small ship to Coruscant if I'm alone or go on the other ship to start a Flashpoint (?) if I'm with others. Is that something I can do at level 10 with just my AI companion? (No, you need other players as it is hard)

3) Does PvP match you with similar level players? What do you gain if you win and what happens if you lose?
(Not sure, I think it sort of autolevels everyone so your all equal, not done much PVP)
Woah this post is messed up... my answers are in there somewhere..

TheYanger

Finally level 10, got my companion, and am on my way to Coruscant as a Republic Trooper. Really enjoying the game, but I have a few questions before I get back into it tomorrow:

1) Which location is the earliest where I can find a class advancement NPC? Didn't find one on Ord Mantell besides the skill trainer.

2) This NPC is telling to me to take a small ship to Coruscant if I'm alone or go on the other ship to start a Flashpoint (?) if I'm with others. Is that something I can do at level 10 with just my AI companion?

1) Your class advancement is from a quest that you got when you first entered the station, if you weren't yet level 10 you couldn't see the quest, so go back to where you came in (the west side of the fleet). Yes, this system is retarded, people OFTEN ask where to get advanced classes because it's easy to miss.

2) You'll want at least one other person and their companion if you're both competent players. Ideally a tank companion (Jedi Knights are great for this) since Jorgan is just a dps.

3) Nope. It 'scales' everyone, which is awful since low level players regardless of scaling simply lack abilities and talents to be competitive. You can't even sprint yet.

Troopers are badasses, so have some fun :D I think you just got Mortar volley. Remember that its ae is about twice as big as the icon, and go annihilate some mobs.

CzarTim

1) Class advancement as in new skills? There's one on every planet including the fleet. Open your map and click trainers to see where it is (will be a guy with a yellow arrow over his head)

If you mean choosing you advanced class, there's one right next to the trooper trainer on the fleet.

After you choose your AC, go to the trainer and there will be a tab at the bottom to buy AC skills.

2) flashpoints need 4 players to run through unless you are well overleveled.

3) PVP scales. Everyone who plays is brought up to level 50 in terms of damage done and total hitpoints.

You get xp whether you win or not, obviously more if you win (and play well). You also get coms to buy gear.

Ken

Thanks guys.

So is PvP not worth doing until much later? It sounds like I can be matched against people who have their entire set of skills while I only have skills up to level 10.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Thanks guys.

So is PvP not worth doing until much later? It sounds like I can be matched against people who have their entire set of skills while I only have skills up to level 10.
You can do well at lower levels but i would advise reaching level 14 before doing Operations. At 14 you get Sprint which increases your run speed out of combat by 35% which helps your maneuverability during these games a ton.

Moaradin

Just finished Act 1 as Imperial Agent. Holy shit. This is the best story in a Bioware game in years. I rate Act 1 alone with better writing than anything Bioware has done since KOTOR, probably even that. Can't wait until I get into Act 2.

Truant

Questions:

1# Imperial Agent prologue spoilers
I'm being a total dick to the Sith Lord. He basically just killed me for not kneeling to him. Will I lose out on items/other good stuff for doing this?

2# Any good ini settings I can use? I want maxgrafxxxx.

vaelic

Banned
Questions:

I'm being a total dick to the Sith Lord. He basically just killed me for not kneeling to him. Will I lose out on items/other good stuff for doing this?

2# Any good ini settings I can use? I want maxgrafxxxx.

Just set everything to high

Good to see it's not only me having problems, some areas are fine while others just makes the fps drop by ~50% for some reason.

Edit: aw queues are back.

Yep some areas have really badly optimized performance given that the game is not graphically intensive. Also, I expect queues to be pretty bad today with people getting this game for Christmas and people having the day off to play it.

TheYanger

Yep some areas have really badly optimized performance given that the game is not graphically intensive. Also, I expect queues to be pretty bad today with people getting this game for Christmas and people having the day off to play it.

Good call, log in early and run in circles time!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Like I said, you save time if you ignore the bonus objectives, but I don't know if all that saved time translates into faster XP gains since you can move on to other quests.

Even if you do the Bonus objectives, it sure is nice being able to stealth out of an area once you're done with a mission, rather than blasting and slicing your way through throngs of respawned enemies. But with the way this game works it's probably faster to commit suicide and revive at a med center, since that's a free instant teleport without a cooldown. So I'm still not seeing much advantage to stealth characters, unless you like PVP.

Well, I can tell you right now that on my 26, I have a lot of green quests by the time I'm entering a new area. In fact, I was able to skip most of Taris because I was too high for it when I entered. So judging from that, I'd bet dodging the bonus missions wouldn't hurt too much.

falastini

group shot:
YtO8S.jpg

and some new gear I picked up:
lm47p.jpg

Blizz is awesome. I've barely played with him, so I dunno how effective he is for leveling, but just watching him run around and do his animations is great. He's also very agreeable. I've offered him like 5 different types of gifts, and he's loved them all. And I still haven't seen him get upset during a dialogue choice. As a matter a fact, he's giving +55 everytime he agrees... a lot more then other companions usually give. Not sure if this is intentional, or I'm just getting lucky on my end.

I'm surprised Bioware is talking about putting out new content so soon (January?). That's nice and all, but I'd rather see some acknowledgement of UI changes coming soon. I'm really getting frustrated when I try to do any healing on this toon. I feel like I'm fighting the controls, rather then being challenged by the game. There's a lot of changes/additions they need to add to the current UI. If it stays like this, I'm just going to DPS when I hit 50 instead, and judging from their healing subforums, it seems a lof of people share my sentiments.

HBroward

I'm sure this has been posted, but here is something to try if you are having problems with unresponsiveness or low FPS in warzones.

Right-click the launcher and go to "properties" then "compatibility". Check "Disable visual themes", "Disable desktop composition", and set it to run as administrator.

This has fixed the issues for people with the launcher being unresponsive before/after playing the game, and improves the fps in warzones. Try it out and see if that helps if you aren't running a powerful pc.

Edit: Also, Happy Holidays to everyone in the GAF Empire, and I guess to you 'Pubs as well. ;)

Desaan

Well, I can tell you right now that on my 26, I have a lot of green quests by the time I'm entering a new area. In fact, I was able to skip most of Taris because I was too high for it when I entered. So judging from that, I'd bet dodging the bonus missions wouldn't hurt too much.

You do a few warfronts and an instance or two some space missions and all of a sudden everything is totally out of whack, so much so I skipped two full planets on my assassin. I skipped Alderaan and Tatooine and went straight to Taris.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So far the two largest design issues ive come across are..

1) Having a PVP stat.. Expertise. Not only is it like Resilience from Wow where it lowers the amount of damage you take but it also boosts your damage against other players and increases your healing. Its like having Resilience/Attack Power/Spell Power in one stat. The biggest clusterfuck besides that is having it exclusively on the high level PVP gear. This is a huge problem with number 2.

2) No brackets for PVP. You include 50s decked out in full fucking Champion gear and you dont have a hope in hell lol. ive played at least 10 matches in a row. One Republic level 50 in PVP gear carried every match. Top damage.. top medals.. zero deaths.. every match. It was ridiculous.

edit:
Also institute a buyback for vendor gear that refunds the currency used to purchase. i bought three level 20 pvp belts because of lag and got 1c per refund instead of the 240 commendations i should have got back for both of them. Annoying.

Oh.. also there needs to be a way to have 3 tabs open at once. Character gear, vendor, inventory. As it is now you can only have two open. Running the game at high widescreen resolution so that shouldnt be an issue.

Sethos

Banned
So far the two largest design issues ive come across are..

1) Having a PVP stat.. Expertise. Not only is it like Resilience from Wow where it lowers the amount of damage you take but it also boosts your damage against other players and increases your healing. Its like having Resilience/Attack Power/Spell Power in one stat. The biggest clusterfuck besides that is having it exclusively on the high level PVP gear. This is a huge problem with number 2.

2) No brackets for PVP. You include 50s decked out in full fucking Champion gear and you dont have a hope in hell lol. ive played at least 10 matches in a row. One Republic level 50 in PVP gear carried every match. Top damage.. top medals.. zero deaths.. every match. It was ridiculous.

Yeah, it's a truly terrible decision and both accounts. I have no intention of touching PvP ever again, unless they fix it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah, it's a truly terrible decision and both accounts. I have no intention of touching PvP ever again, unless they fix it.

The easiest and simplest fix would be to make two brackets. One that is 1-49 and the other being 50. That way Bioware doesnt have to touch the PVP stat (although they most likely should.. it seems too good. Maybe the effect isnt large but somehow im doubting that. Needs mathemagic to figure that out though) and they address both problems in one fix.

Questions:

I did the same, the items you miss out on aren't a big deal. Just some bracers

Moaradin

The easiest and simplest fix would be to make two brackets. One that is 1-49 and the other being 50. That way Bioware doesnt have to touch the PVP stat (although they most likely should.. it seems too good. Maybe the effect isnt large but somehow im doubting that. Needs mathemagic to figure that out though) and they address both problems in one fix.

They said the PVP stat would only be around a 5% boost or so quite a while ago.

FLEABttn

Banned
PvP exclusive stats are a result of trying to give people a sporting chance in organized PvP in a gear based game with a significant PvE slant. The quick fix would be to not give a shit about PvP balance or progression in the slightest (but risk losing subs over it).

But again, if you want to run around and kill people, there's about a million games that will allow you to do it better.

mcrae

buying armor for your companion off the trade market is infuriatingly slow. why can't i sort by chest/waist/bracers/etc? so stupid.

what would be nice is for the tooltip that compares your equipment to change to whatever your companion is currently wearing if you have the companion screen open in the character sheet.

with neither of these things, i wanna blow my brains out

Bioware seriously needs to populate these planets with more NPCs, and have them do stuff instead of just standing in one place. Shit have npcs randomly walking around. It adds alot. They honestly shouldn't have used Hero Engine.

buying armor for your companion off the trade market is infuriatingly slow. why can't i sort by chest/waist/bracers/etc? so stupid.

what would be nice is for the tooltip that compares your equipment to change to whatever your companion is currently wearing if you have the companion screen open in the character sheet.

with neither of these things, i wanna blow my brains out

Not sure if this helps, but companion tool tip comparison is off by default. You have to turn it on in options.

mcrae

Bioware seriously needs to populate these planets with more NPCs, and have them do stuff instead of just standing in one place. Shit have npcs randomly walking around. It adds alot. They honestly shouldn't have used Hero Engine.

Not sure if this helps, but companion tool tip comparison is off by default. You have to turn it on in options.

helps for sure, thanks

what else is so stupid is how i cant just search all the categories, by a search term. i have random crap in my inventory that i dont know what category it is from, and instead of being able to search for it to see what the going price is, i have to puzzle out whether it is a crafting material, which one it is, blah blah blah. its not a major deal, but i just spent 20 minutes doing what would've taken me 4-5 in WoW

ACE 1991

So how good are the actual MMO elements in swtor? I'm about to pull the trigger, but i'm a little worried that's it's too much of a massively single player game.

border

Buying anything off the Auction House is terrible! Why can't I just search by name? Why do I have to search and then put in a name?

Why does it seem like there's been no consistency put into the naming conventions of leveling gear? If I'm searching for something with a particular stat I have to inspect every single piece of gear that is returned in the search.....and I can't even filter the search by the type of slot!

If I wanted +Defense gear in WoW, I'd just search for Bracers/Boots/Helms with "Of the Champion" in them. Here there's no way to search like that, or filter results for a particular stat.

EDarkness

Buying anything off the Auction House is terrible! Why can't I just search by name? Why do I have to search and then put in a name?

Why does it seem like there's been no consistency put into the naming conventions of leveling gear? If I'm searching for something with a particular stat I have to inspect every single piece of gear that is returned in the search.....and I can't even filter the search by the type of slot!

If I wanted +Defense gear in WoW, I'd just search for Bracers/Boots/Helms with "Of the Champion" in them. Here there's no way to search like that, or filter results for a particular stat.

The AH is something they really need to work on. It's one of the things my wife complained about a lot since she's always an AH junkie in these kinds of games. Maybe they'll do something in the future, but in the meantime we have to deal with a poorly functional AH. :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i agree. There are things going on but you have to click on them to initiate usually. Some funny stuff around out there. There was this one in Kaas City that had me laughing. Some alien was getting arrested near the center.. a bit south of where the taxi was.

Police: "Come clean. You did it didn't you?"
Alien: "Yes, I did."
Police: "Very well. You are sentenced to two decades hard labor. Take him away."
Alien: "What?!"

edit:
Yea the auction house "search" sucks ass and is probably the worst I've ever used.
Yea the filter is very counter-intuitive. You do a general search first.. then you can search for terms. If you click Search it does another general search. You have to click the small Filter button or whatever.

vaelic

Banned

Don't skip Taris. Just do storyline mission or you will miss picking up another companion

Xiaoki

So how good are the actual MMO elements in swtor? I'm about to pull the trigger, but i'm a little worried that's it's too much of a massively single player game.

It depends on what your idea of an "MMORPG" is.

Do you like sandbox or themepark more? Your thoughts on instancing? Your favorite type of endgame?

SWTOR is definitely NOT a "massively single player" game. It is far more group oriented than any themepark type MMO in a while.

vaelic

Banned

Not very good IMO. Lifeless worlds even in a full server. This is a massively SINGLE player game

Won

At the moment it can be pretty bad. But I guess it depends on what kind of MMO elements you are looking for.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not very good IMO. Lifeless worlds even in a full server. This is a massively SINGLE player game
It would be interesting to see the % breakdown of players. I suspect the vast majority of players are still in the first few starting planets, as I always see those full of players despite instancing when I'm around those. Will things seem better when more of the player base move up in level?

Spookie

To expand further upon this: No LFG tool so no one is running Flashpoints, I've asked 3 times today if anyone wants to do heroics with no response and servers are incredibly instanced (about 100 players a instance) in planets that are HUGE some twice the size of your typical WoW zone.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
To expand further upon this: No LFG tool so no one is running Flashpoints, I've asked 3 times today if anyone wants to do heroics with no response and servers are incredibly instanced (about 100 players a instance) in planets that are HUGE some twice the size of your typical WoW zone.
As people level this probably wont be an issue. There are always people at the dock that leads to all the Flashpoints every time ive gone there. i dont know if its different for hard mode stuff but there seems to be plenty of activity at the meeting points.

Won

No one was able to get a full flashpoint group together earlier on my server no matter the level. It can be really weird sometimes.

Top Bottom