• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Senior Database Administrator

Additional Information

Posted:
November 29, 2011

yDrE7.gif

So, yeah. Someone get on that.

/Facepalm
/Facepalm
/Facepalm
/Facepalm
/Facepalm
/Facepalm
?

Looks reasonable to me. People move on all the time in the industry and positions open up,

What's the Smuggler and its advance classes like?

haven't played the other classes, but Smuggler has been interesting so far. the cover system lets you use your environment in the fight, which makes ho-hum combat engagements a little more interesting.

it's pretty fast paced, but also complicated. I found pretty quickly that i needed two quickslot bars and mapped my own hotkeys to them, but it's been relatively manageable so far.

EGG

Neo Member
haven't played the other classes, but Smuggler has been interesting so far. the cover system lets you use your environment in the fight, which makes ho-hum combat engagements a little more interesting.

it's pretty fast paced, but also complicated. I found pretty quickly that i needed two quickslot bars and mapped my own hotkeys to them, but it's been relatively manageable so far.

Yeah, speaking as an Imperial Agent, I had to open up the second bottom bar and then map hotkeys for it to get my full rotation and skills needed for PVP or PVE

TheYanger

every class has at least around 3 full bars of abilities worth. healers a bit more than others generally. There's definitely some skill bloat that could stand to be trimmed (For instance, on my trooper I have two nearly identical skills I need to use in my rotation, but one is on a 15s cooldown and gives me an ammo, while the other costs me 3 ammo and is spammable. This could easily just have been a talent that procced free attacks once every 15 seconds or something and it would be far less of a headache for bar space, just an example).

every class has at least around 3 full bars of abilities worth. healers a bit more than others generally. There's definitely some skill bloat that could stand to be trimmed (For instance, on my trooper I have two nearly identical skills I need to use in my rotation, but one is on a 15s cooldown and gives me an ammo, while the other costs me 3 ammo and is spammable. This could easily just have been a talent that procced free attacks once every 15 seconds or something and it would be far less of a headache for bar space, just an example).

Sheesh. I was worried it would end up like that. I'm level 26 on my Bounty Hunter and only have 4 slots left on the bottom center bars. And that's because I move the 2 healing spells I got to the side bar.

Cystm

?

Looks reasonable to me. People move on all the time in the industry and positions open up,

Just funny to me that it coincides with the launch time frame and the solutions utilized in an attempt to mitigate server issues. I don't mean to imply one position would fix this, but I think it's indicative of a lack of intelligent solutions, in a remarkably intelligently designed game - that perhaps could use more help in this particular area.

I am jaded as fuck about world instancing. While yes, I know that people will see /general chat and the like. I actually enjoy the Massive quality of MMOs, and it's hard to really appreciate it when everyone is scattered across multiple instances. I literally have run into 3 Republic players on Alderaan, Zero on Tatooine and Nar Shaddaa. World PvP does not really exist in my experience. Other's mileage will very. This on a server that has 30 minutes queues mind you.

Instancing the open world outside of the launch window, is akin to shooting yourself in the foot.

Piecake

Well crap, I caved in and bought the game. Looks like there will be a new Imperial Agent on Kellers Void soon!

Think I am going to go operative. Sneaky heals, stabby, and grenades and guns seem like a lot of fun

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I am jaded as fuck about world instancing. While yes, I know that people will see /general chat and the like. I actually enjoy the Massive quality of MMOs, and it's hard to really appreciate it when everyone is scattered across multiple instances. I literally have run into 3 Republic players on Alderaan, Zero on Tatooine and Nar Shaddaa. World PvP does not really exist in my experience. Other's mileage will very. This on a server that has 30 minutes queues mind you.
Did you check to see if there actually were any instances on those planets? I've seen plenty of planets where there's only 2 or even 1 instance simply because there aren't enough players running around there yet. Most of the player population is still in the lower level areas.

Hell, I'm running around Nar Shaddaa right now and there's only 1 instance going on. Not sure how full the server is right now though.

Zafir

Instancing the open world outside of the launch window, is akin to shooting yourself in the foot.
You're lucky you've seen 3. I haven't seen ANY. I even went near republic outposts on both Tatooine and Alderaan(The former of which I accidentally aggro'ed the guards and got killed). Admittedly this was on a PvE server, as I'm not far enough on my Jedi which is on ToFN, however I still should of at least seen them questing or something.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that you have to do this, something about it not being optimized yet but come on.

Anyhow, go to:

C > Users > [your PC's Name] > App Data > Local > SWTOR > swtor > settings > client_settings.ini.

When you open it up, you'll get a list of visual options you have configured:

uE66K.jpg

Like this, sort of, depending what you have of course.

Add the line: AntiAliasingLevel = 2

You can change the 2 to 4 or 8 if you wish, but its not really optimized as said, and fairly taxing.

Maybe I didn't figure it out. I got to my config, but it may have been something else since the number of items on my config is only a fourth of everything you have. I did all that, but "App Data" does not exist in my [Your PC's Name]. My system should be able to handle it, since I just finished upgrading it with a new video card.

Well crap, I caved in and bought the game. Looks like there will be a new Imperial Agent on Kellers Void soon!

Think I am going to go operative. Sneaky heals, stabby, and grenades and guns seem like a lot of fun

Welcome to the correct side. Remember to join the lovely Gaf guild. We serve cookies and a dish of spunkiness.

Cystm

Did you check to see if there actually were any instances on those planets? I've seen plenty of planets where there's only 2 or even 1 instance simply because there aren't enough players running around there yet. Most of the player population is still in the lower level areas.

Hell, I'm running around Nar Shaddaa right now and there's only 1 instance going on. Not sure how full the server is right now though.

Yes. I am not logging on to check tonight but, yes, launch day there was five separate instances running on Belsavis. Last time I checked there was five running on Alderaan.

That's on The Crucible Pitts server. The media server that has Ruinous, Dara Mactire, PC Gamer, etc. on top of all the random people that are on that server. Ruinous on the Republic side has over 1000 members spread out over three different guilds.

I have seen 3 Republic players in my entire time playing in the open world.

Chris R

Played the first 6 or so levels on my brothers subscription while over for Christmas. I have to say, this feels more like a single player game with MMO mechanics behind it, rather than a "pure" MMO. That is a good thing. The cutscenes were well done and I found myself wanting to actually interact vs just spamming through quest text and then running onto the next step.

Only thing I didn't really see that I thought would be better is if the text choices you made actually had a bigger difference in the stuff happening around you (wouldn't have to be that major, just tweak some of the quests around your answers) other than the obvious light/dark side choices.

Going to play a few more hours tomorrow. I could see myself playing though every single class if each story is unique for the most part, because that was normally my favorite part of WoW (the leveling, high end raiding was fun, but I don't have time for that anymore).

border

I gotta say that the Bonus Missions really ruin the fun of having a stealth class.

I like being able to cloak my way to an objective, but because the bonus missions are always "Kill 30 Dudes!" I feel compelled just to murder everyone along the way. I'm not sure whether the time I'd save by using stealth would make up for all the XP I'd miss out on by ignoring bonus objectives.

I wish they would implement stealth-friendly alternatives, like "Complete the mission without killing more than 5 Dudes!"

Alchemy

So far the game is interesting, but my biggest complaint is how lifeless the worlds are. Nothing ever moves. When I find the rare NPC that is patrolling around I just stop in my tracks and behold its awe inspiring existence. World spawns seem rather weak as a whole, having weird pockets of NPCs with linked aggro tables despite large physical gaps. Its a real weakness for the game so far.

With that said, the general flow of 'follow your main story and pick up secondary quests' is nice. I find I miss some here and there and don't bother at all with heroics so I end up about half a level under what the game expects me.

While the story is decent, I find myself feeling like I'm playing someone else's character and not my own. In WoW I'm just a random ass Orc that gets to fill in the gaps on my own, be my own Orc. The world has the story (though poorly conveyed through blocks of text), not my dude. It makes me feel more like I'm the adventurer and not following someone elses story like I am in TOR.

Not a bad thing, since thats what all single player style games are like, even open world ones like Skyrim. It just keeps making things feel a little weird for me, not necessarily bad.

I gotta say that the Bonus Missions really ruin the fun of having a stealth class.

I like being able to cloak my way to an objective, but because the bonus missions are always "Kill 30 Dudes!" I feel compelled just to murder everyone along the way. I'm not sure whether the time I'd save by using stealth would make up for all the XP I'd miss out on by ignoring bonus objectives.

I wish they would implement stealth-friendly alternatives, like "Complete the mission without killing more than 5 Dudes!"

I am sorry but you have to just embrace that this is the CoD XP+++++ KILL MORE DUUUUUDES! of MMORPGS.

Learn to accept and love it.

gillty

Banned
So far the game is interesting, but my biggest complaint is how lifeless the worlds are. Nothing ever moves. When I find the rare NPC that is patrolling around I just stop in my tracks and behold its awe inspiring existence. World spawns seem rather weak as a whole, having weird pockets of NPCs with linked aggro tables despite large physical gaps. Its a real weakness for the game so far.

With that said, the general flow of 'follow your main story and pick up secondary quests' is nice. I find I miss some here and there and don't bother at all with heroics so I end up about half a level under what the game expects me.

While the story is decent, I find myself feeling like I'm playing someone else's character and not my own. In WoW I'm just a random ass Orc that gets to fill in the gaps on my own, be my own Orc. The world has the story (though poorly conveyed through blocks of text), not my dude. It makes me feel more like I'm the adventurer and not following someone elses story like I am in TOR.

Not a bad thing, since thats what all single player style games are like, even open world ones like Skyrim. It just keeps making things feel a little weird for me, not necessarily bad.
I've mentioned my dislike of the "chosen one" style story for a mmo like this, and apparently our opinion is not a popular one. Apparently everyone wants to be Han Solo, Darth Vader, Obi-wan etc... Personally I think it feels very disconnected from the mmo side of the game.

I also agree with the lifeless thing, they really need to work on that, considering how massive everything is, theres not much going on.

Moaradin

The WoW solution isn't much better. Pretty much everyone is called by "heroes" or "champions" but we are never given credit for anything we do.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.

My friend just got into the game. I'll be leveling a scoundrel on the side with him. I'll let you know how this goes, because I'm sure as hell not killing 35 dudes with it on those bonus missions.

The WoW solution isn't much better. Pretty much everyone is called by "heroes" or "champions" but we are never given credit for anything we do.

Well it has the same problem. "You are the most powerful Jedi we have seen in centuries" and all that jazz.

They should at least make a tongue-in-cheek video with all the NPC masters laughing over beers at the fact. ;)

Moaradin

Well it has the same problem. "You are the most powerful Jedi we have seen in centuries" and all that jazz.

They should at least make a tongue-in-cheek video with all the NPC masters laughing over beers at the fact. ;)

Well I know as Imperial Agent, it certainly isn't like that. There is a part where you can actually get killed by defying your superior.

Won

border said:
gotta say that the Bonus Missions really ruin the fun of having a stealth class.

I'm just ignoring these garbage bonus missions with my Scoundrel. Works ok so far.
I'm more concerned about the amount of stuff you have to plow through in some areas without stealth. Not very motivating for playing another character.

Alchemy

I think this solution is at least tempered by how generic the terms are, it feels more reinforced with quest NPCs speaking directly at me. And these heroes/champions terms are fairly rare outside of the more story focused dungeons. In TOR its pretty much in grained with every quest. In WoW things feel reasonable to have other people walking in my foot steeps and completing the same quests as me, but in TOR it just feels a little off that there are other people in the same area I'm in.

It isn't exactly a huge issue for me though, its just an weird uneasy one. About the only thing it does is makes me consider what the game could have been like if all the stories were condensed and the game was purely built as a single player RPG with a focus on building a group of companions. Its almost like that now, but spread a little thin and has an obnoxious general chat box in the corner.

I think I'll end up playing enough TOR to burn through all the story content then shelve the game.

border

My friend just got into the game. I'll be leveling a scoundrel on the side with him. I'll let you know how this goes, because I'm sure as hell not killing 35 dudes with it on those bonus missions.

I'm just ignoring these garbage bonus missions with my Scoundrel. Works ok so far.
I'm more concerned about the amount of stuff you have to plow through in some areas without stealth. Not very motivating for playing another character.

Like I said, you save time if you ignore the bonus objectives, but I don't know if all that saved time translates into faster XP gains since you can move on to other quests.

Even if you do the Bonus objectives, it sure is nice being able to stealth out of an area once you're done with a mission, rather than blasting and slicing your way through throngs of respawned enemies. But with the way this game works it's probably faster to commit suicide and revive at a med center, since that's a free instant teleport without a cooldown. So I'm still not seeing much advantage to stealth characters, unless you like PVP.

Moaradin

The quest are designed to give you enough EXP to progress forward. The bonus quest and bonus series quest are just extra, but they don't give you anything but extra xp most of the time. I've been doing most of the bonus missions and bonus series, but I'm now level 34 in a level 28-31 zone.

So yea, bonus missions are only really good if you want to be over leveled. If you do just the regular missions and no extras, you'll pretty much be right where you should be.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Like I said, you save time if you ignore the bonus objectives, but I don't know if all that saved time translates into faster XP gains since you can move on to other quests.

Even if you do the Bonus objectives, it sure is nice being able to stealth out of an area once you're done with a mission, rather than blasting and slicing your way through throngs of respawned enemies. But with the way this game works it's probably faster to commit suicide and revive at a med center, since that's a free instant teleport without a cooldown. So I'm still not seeing much advantage to stealth characters, unless you like PVP.

It's not exactly free since your gear takes damage when you do that and you'll need to repair anything you plan to keep for the next little while.

Max

I am not Max
Does anyone else's computer completely shit the bed after exiting the game? I swear there's 10 minutes of unresponsiveness happening on my desktop after closing the game

And alt-tabbing never works

border

It's not exactly free since your gear takes damage when you do that and you'll need to repair anything you plan to keep for the next little while.

Ehhh, the repair bills are pretty nominal. I'd gladly die and take the durability hit, if the only alternative is burning my Fast Travel cooldown.

Dina

Still doesn't work. I see the taskbar but the game stays over everything no matter what I click

1. set it on windowed
2. max the screen by clicking on the middle square button on the topright of the window
3. set it on fullscreen windowed

fixed it for me.

Won

Did some quests in an area on Hoth, if I had no stealth to travel between them I probably would have just uninstalled the game. And I used the med center teleport at the end too I think. So that's that.

JWong

Banned

Played BH and IA op to the same level.

It's fun killing stuff and sneaking around stuff.

Top Bottom