• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

If I go Sage or Scoundrel with a focus on healing, will I still be able to solo without problems? I only ask because I've played a Doctor in Anarchy Online and despite being able to heal myself well I just wasn't putting out enough damage to properly take out a mob on my own.

I don't want a rig, but I would love to find a cheap machine that could simply play this at a consistent frame rate. On a Mobility Radeon 4570. PLAYABLE at the lowest two resolutions, but there are times where the FPS just dips too far. :'(

The "I need a new PC" thread can help out a lot. Give them a budget and they'll help you get the most for your money.

Anno

If I go Sage or Scoundrel with a focus on healing, will I still be able to solo without problems? I only ask because I've played a Doctor in Anarchy Online and despite being able to heal myself well I just wasn't putting out enough damage to properly take out a mob on my own.

I can't speak for higher levels, but through about level 20 my Sage is a great soloer. Not necessarily because I put out a ton of damage, I suppose, but more for my overall surviveability. I'm specced entirely into healing so far and I'm more than happy with my ability to solo. So long as you don't expect to just melt through groups left and right I think you'll be fine.

Trouble

Banned
I got a Razer Naga for Christmas. I'm having a lot of trouble using the buttons on the side. I'm always hitting the wrong button. Does anyone who has this mouse recommend sticking on some of the nub trainers on certain buttons til I get used to the button layouts?

Doesn't it have raised bumps on the /4/5/6/ and /10/11/12/ rows? Mine does. It took a little getting used to, but I rarely miss the intended key any more. I really only use the first 3 rows, though. The fourth row is kinda awkward for me to reach.

I can't speak for higher levels, but through about level 20 my Sage is a great soloer. Not necessarily because I put out a ton of damage, I suppose, but more for my overall surviveability. I'm specced entirely into healing so far and I'm more than happy with my ability to solo. So long as you don't expect to just melt through groups left and right I think you'll be fine.

That's good to know, thanks.

I'm interested in re-rolling on the GAF server, queues be damned. Would I be right in thinking that a properly specced Bounty Hunter can hold his own as a healer, as that is what I am interested in and it would be a first for me.
Any Advanced Class with a healing spec can do it just fine.

Thoraxes

At level 34 I soloed almost all of Taral V as a Jedi Shadow. It was hard and took a while, but I felt pretty good being able to do it. If I wasn't Biochem it would've been impossible. The nerfs are gonna suck when they come.

Also, i'm a DPS spec, not tank. For some reason, unless they hotfix it or it was bugged, a lot of the bosses weren't immune to CC stuns.

Truant

Loving Imperial Agent right now, but what other classes are recommended in terms of pure story? Gameplay sucks either way, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I have a GTX 480 Ti by Asus. It's got 1.5 gigs of ram on it. I'm running a 3.2 ghz Phenom X4, 6 gigs of ram.

Any suggestions on any other settings to tweak in the nvidia settings to make this game look even better? I did the INI tweak for AA. There's all kinds of shit in the control panel for my card and I don't know what any of it means or how it would effect TOR.

Suggestions?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Loving Imperial Agent right now, but what other classes are recommended in terms of pure story? Gameplay sucks either way, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I really like the consular so far and I'm lvl19. I really do not like the trooper though. Still at level 7.

I have a GTX 480 Ti by Asus. It's got 1.5 gigs of ram on it. I'm running a 3.2 ghz Phenom X4, 6 gigs of ram.

Any suggestions on any other settings to tweak in the nvidia settings to make this game look even better? I did the INI tweak for AA. There's all kinds of shit in the control panel for my card and I don't know what any of it means or how it would effect TOR.

Suggestions?

I've also got a massive heat sink on my cpu so I guess OCing is an option if someone can walk me through it. I my mobo supports auto OCing but I don't trust that shit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've also got a massive heat sink on my cpu so I guess OCing is an option if someone can walk me through it. I my mobo supports auto OCing but I don't trust that shit.
Do you have a Sandy Bridge? Here's a good starter: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Essentially, all you're doing is setting a turbo multipler and trying to find the right amount of CPU voltage to get it stable, all while keeping temps reasonable at 100% load.

It can take a while to figure out as it's best to increase voltage in small increments and you want to spend at least an hour of load testing to check for stability for each setting combination. Since everyone's CPU is a little different, the right settings will be different for everyone - some people can get away with higher clock speeds at lower voltages, while others need quite a bit more voltage.

Took me a whole weekend when I built my new rig, but I have a nice stable 24/7 OC of 4.4 GHz at 1.295v. I can go much higher if I wanted to, but haven't really run into any games demanding enough to warrant the extra juice yet.

TheYanger

This is where I'm not clear on story areas - Is it that I can't bring someone else who is in the same class or I can't bring anyone at all?

You can bring anyone. Same class is a checkbox you need to enable, and only one of each class can advance their plot in each instance, it's checked off by default so you don't accidentily spoil your story.

Plissken

This is where I'm not clear on story areas - Is it that I can't bring someone else who is in the same class or I can't bring anyone at all?

You can bring along any other class, I've been leveling with a friend (he's a Sith Sorc, I'm a BH Powertech) and we can enter each others story instances when grouped together. Just have them go in first, it'll turn from red to blue. You don't get any dialogue choices, but any combat that occurs you can help with.

Filth

You can bring along any other class, I've been leveling with a friend (he's a Sith Sorc, I'm a BH Powertech) and we can enter each others story instances when grouped together. Just have them go in first, it'll turn from red to blue. You don't get any dialogue choices, but any combat that occurs you can help with.

You need to go to preferences and turn on " allow other people to join class quest " why it's set to disable is beyond my understanding

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Finally caved in and bought. Was gonna jump on the Euro gaf server but it appears you guys are on the most full server and I wanna play like right now so I'ma be on Hydian Way for now.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I've just become "Cipher nine" on the Imperial Agent story. The writing for this class is absolute class, it really does an incredible job making you feel like James Bond in space. Bioware's best story since ME1 for me <3

I've just become "Cipher nine" on the Imperial Agent story. The writing for this class is absolute class, it really does an incredible job making you feel like James Bond in space. Bioware's best story since ME1 for me <3

Since switching I've been loving it, though I'm incredibly early in. This post is getting me more and more excited to continue!

Does every class have the ability to visit each planet once that opens up? I hope there are some sweet city-based planets incoming...

Symphonic

Probably gonna end up buying this so long as I can get the IT department to open the ports needed. What server are most of you dudes on?

FStop7

Banned
I just hit a low point with my Assassin. I'm level 29. I need to level up some more to take down a significant boss in my storyline. I requested assistance and got either smartass responses or demands for ridiculous amounts of credits to assist. I wanted to do some flashpoints and after 10 minutes of LFG requests got zero responses. So I decided to try a PVP warzone. After waiting in a queue for 10 minutes I was pulled into a game of Huttball which lasted approximately 20 seconds before finishing in defeat. Then I was put back in a queue.

Ugh.

So now I just rolled an Agent on Keller's Void. I really don't like PVE servers but since this is where everyone from GAF is at then I hope it will be less of a dead end when it comes to trying to get into a group.

Would love to know this too.

with my buddy's WoW authenticator and his android phone.. the authenticator no longer matched when the phone was wiped to do the rom install.. you might be ok if you do an "upgrade" without doing a factory reset.. but a lot of custom roms require you to wipe the device..

In those cases your authenticator will probably be broken and it will be treated as a different authenticator. When you change roms you'll want to remove the authenticator from your SWTOR account before doing so.. or at the very least keep a nandroid backup of your previous rom and setup where you configured the authenticator so you can revert back if need-be.

worst case scenario you'll have to call their customer service line to prove your identity to get the authenticator removed if you don't have a backup to revert to.

Spookie

Wheels are quickly coming off this soap box cart.

Mako - bugged can't progress her quest
Fellow companions - Won't go past the first quest
Class quest - Now duplicated and causing over lap in dialogue and cut scenes that shouldn't be there.

I'll be surprised if I can finish act 2 at this rate.

kai3345

Banned
So my computer doesnt have a disc drive, can I do something similar to WoW, where I can buy the discs (which I'm buying with a gift card, otherwise I'd just buy online) and then enter my code on the TOR website and then fully download and install the game from there?

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
So my computer doesnt have a disc drive, can I do something similar to WoW, where I can buy the discs (which I'm buying with a gift card, otherwise I'd just buy online) and then enter my code on the TOR website and then fully download and install the game from there?
Yes you can

Sethos

Banned

Yeah, the client can be downloaded just like WoW ( Except streamed playing ). A friend bought an extra copy for me and just texted me the code, I made an account and downloaded the client.

Ken

i ended up starting a jedi knight after finding out that the imperial agent, who i was mainly interested in, is a mirror to the Smuggler that i've been maining for a while now. looking to get a little variety in.

if you wanna roll on the light side of the force though, hit me up tomorrow. i'm "bzooty" on Keller's Void.
I have a level 12 Trooper on Keller's. I'll send you a friend request when I go on. Name is Vergil.

CoLaN

I experience a really annoying freezing issue with the game. After playing the game from 15 minutes to 5 hours (it's random), my PC would lockup (no sound and the image is frozen, computer completely unresponsive) and i'm forced to hard reboot.

I didn't have this issue during the beta, and it appears to be a common issue since i tried to search and there are a lot of threads about it (and a semi-official one here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=81830 - the first part of the thread had over 120 pages).

I can still enjoy the game but not as well as i would like. Spec are i5 750, 4GB of RAM, Radeon 5870, Windows 7 64bit

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I've been leveling a sith marauder up for awhile now, and I decided it's time to make an alt. I love melee classes, and most of all; I love warrior classes. In light of this, I thought of making another Sith Warrior, but this time a Juggernaut. Will this be like playing two distinct classes, or will they feel very similar? Is it worth it to level up both a Marauder and a Juggernaut or probably better to try out something like say, an assassin (I don't want to tank)? Thoughts?

One thing that really makes me want to play the juggernaut is the armor--that vaderesque heavy armor with the cape that juggernauts get at like 47+--it's just awesome. I just don't want to play a carbon copy of the marauder.

Seeing different stories doesn't matter much to me because I'm playing with people from other classes, so I'm already seeing the stories. I'd end up going light side with the juggernaut as opposed to my dark marauder anyway, so it will be a little different story-wise.

Liberty4all

Banned
Need a quick answer ... Do I need a valid credit card to sign up initially when first starting to play or only after the first free month?

Kalnos

Banned
After playing the game up to level 25 I'm probably going to continue playing it somewhat casually until GW2. For me:

Positives:
Dialog system, particular with a party.
Vast zones.
Story (it's SW, so it's not that deep, but enjoyable for what you get)
The game controls fairly smooth.

Negatives:
UI.
Companions.

I don't think the game is as good as Vanilla/BC WoW was for me, and probably won't hook me for years like those did, but it has been the next best thing to come along and is proving to be a good time killer. I really hope the UI changes come soon or they're going to have a lot of people wishing they would allow mods.

It's sort of unavoidable with planets but the game really does make you miss the seamless continents of WoW.

Need a quick answer ... Do I need a valid credit card to sign up initially when first starting to play or only after the first free month?

You need the card.

Ohwiseone

Just got this game for Christmas Starting the install and LONG patch Process then.. Hopefully i will be able to start playing before Midnight tonight.

I am going to be whispering one of the people on the guild (Dunno if I am gonna play Republic or Empire yet).

Really excited to start.

gatti-man

After playing the game up to level 25 I'm probably going to continue playing it somewhat casually until GW2. For me:

Positives:
Dialog system, particular with a party.
Vast zones.
Story (it's SW, so it's not that deep, but enjoyable for what you get)
The game controls fairly smooth.

Negatives:
UI.
Companions.

I don't think the game is as good as Vanilla/BC WoW was for me, and probably won't hook me for years like those did, but it has been the next best thing to come along and is proving to be a good time killer. I really hope the UI changes come soon or they're going to have a lot of people wishing they would allow mods.

It's sort of unavoidable with planets but the game really does make you miss the seamless continents of WoW.

You need the card.
The loading is very very fast if you have an ssd. The onlt time i notice long loads is when i first log in.

CzarTim

Slicing is raising the price of mats on the GTN as crafters aren't producing their own. It's really only worthwhile if don't want to craft.

Can see why they were afraid to put in more exotic races, when your twilek lekku completely disappear in various helmets. Course if they didn't care about the Twilek, why care about other races with crap on their head.

Anno

Still diggin' Sage the most of any class. While I wish I had some incentive to hit stuff with my lightsaber, I think the class is put together pretty well. Fun mixture of damage, healing and crowd control. Kinda reminds me of the Loremaster in LotRO for some reason.

CzarTim

So last night I played an hour of the IA story and it was better than anything in the Trooper or BH story that I've seen.

I'm not going to allow myself to log back in until I get to 50, because man....

Even better, if you have access to install discs, and a USB, you can just copy paste every CD into one huge directory. Run setup, and voila - you are able to install like you would when installing from a CD. Setup will automatically detect the end of one CD and continue with the installation. DVD-drive in my computer is also busted, and that's how I managed to do it.

Top Bottom