• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Never thought Id enjoy this as much as i do, got my trooper commando to level 26 today just as the servers went offline. Went off to tatooine to level up after getting my butt kicked too many times by the shadow fist commander, any good strategies to beat him? I also noticed a bug with him and a few other enemies now is that they keep jumping back to their start position and having full health. It is pretty random but once it happens i cant find a way to stop it, gets pretty annoying so i just run off if, luckily when they jump back they are unaware of you for a time. Need to do some group/heroic missions as im up to my mission quota of 25 open, if i abandon them can i pick them up again at a later point, or is the abandon mission still bugged?

Happy to hear about the warzone changes. Needed a good reason to avoid that garbage. I will get my filler exp from somewhere else.

Can't wait to get to 50 and 1 shot level 11 players myself.

[

as a lvl 13, with several 50s.

It is much more difficult because you don't have sprint(lvl 14) and a crazy amount of stuns/knockbacks and they do, but you can still do really good havoc.

I really enjoy the PvP in this games. The bugs annoy me, but I am having a lot of fun with it. More than I ever did in Warhammer or WoWs battlegrounds/scenarios.

The fact that EU servers are down until 3 pm, what the fuuuuuccckkkkk?:( I was going to play the entire day!!!

Darklord

Banned
I just looked at my credit card transactions online and I have this.

Star Wars - www.swtor. Hoensbroek NLD $1.30

What the hell is that? I'm still way into my free period. The fuck are they charging me $1.30 for? And what the hell does TOR have to do with Netherlands?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I only just bought the game yesterday and now I can't play for at least like 4 hours? FUUUUUUUCK that was gonna be my day you bastards.

CzarTim

Really not feeling the Trooper's second chapter. Really lazy writing. The main arc is not personal in the least, and they don't even try to make you care. Getting new companions is my only immediate task. Kind of opposite of Chapter One where you pick them up naturally along the way.

Anno

What the hell is that? I'm still way into my free period. The fuck are they charging me $1.30 for? And what the hell does TOR have to do with Netherlands?

Has that actually posted yet or is it still pending? If it's still pending it's probably just them checking to make sure the CC number you supplied was valid. It shouldn't actually post to your account.

Izayoi

Banned
Really not feeling the Trooper's second chapter. Really lazy writing. The main arc is not personal in the least, and they don't even try to make you care. Getting new companions is my only immediate task. Kind of opposite of Chapter One where you pick them up naturally along the way.
Nope. I'm on the final part I believe (be careful on the bridges, by the way - huge pain in the ass if you fall), and it has been boring compared to the awesome part one. Is there a third chapter too or is this it? Kind of underwhelming to be honest.

Thoraxes

For as much shit as i've heard people give the consular's story, i'm really enjoying it. Act 1 ended really cool (Scooby Doo meets Star Wars), and Act 2 is just a great concept.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I just looked at my credit card transactions online and I have this.

You should get a refund for it within a few days. It's for authentication purposes to make sure you have a valid credit card. It happened to me with previous MMOs

Ken

Is the first Flashpoint (Ellesse something on the Republic side) worth completing at level 14? I ran through it wtih a group once and got to the Sith boss and DC'd when I was level 11.

I really hope they get a move on with a performance patch. High shadows levy an unreasonable charge on the frame rate, and they're not even especially complex, but the game looks flat without them. Low is literally just a blob under characters and off is, well, nothing. It really should be able to pull off the environmental shadows without the game suffering no matter what else you do, and is clearly not especially well optimised at the moment.

Jarmel

Banned
Is the first Flashpoint (Ellesse something on the Republic side) worth completing at level 14? I ran through it wtih a group once and got to the Sith boss and DC'd when I was level 11.

Both introductory flashpoints are unfortunately the best flashpoints I've seen yet and I'm level 29. The three flashpoints on the Empire (and IIRC Republic as well) are pretty much shit compared to the first. The amount of dialogue, choice and overall cohesiveness is second rate. Mandalorian Raiders had you fucking teleport out of the goddamn Flashpoint for god's sake.

Tacitus_

Both introductory flashpoints are unfortunately the best flashpoints I've seen yet and I'm level 29. The three flashpoints on the Empire (and IIRC Republic as well) are pretty much shit compared to the first. The amount of dialogue, choice and overall cohesiveness is second rate. Mandalorian Raiders had you fucking teleport out of the goddamn Flashpoint for god's sake.

Naww. Too much story in flashpoints will suck later on when you're doing them for gear.

pahamrick

This, so fucking disappointing to see the other three flashpoints after doing Black Talon. My 'main' character (IA/Sniper) I only play with my brother, so I've been working on a Sith Juggernaut solo and skipped all FP along the way. Last night I helped a few friends run through Hammer Station, Athiss and Mandalorian Raiders and was pretty much bummed to see they were essentially killing sprees with no real story. Black Talon was so awesome my brother and I duo'd it nearly 6 times so our main characters are way ahead of the curve for the planets.

Choc

Banned

you could potentially solo it with a companion at 14

i solo'd it at 16

can someone explain why imperial agent storyline is so good, as I have heard its the best in the game. is it because its epic in scale/scope?

I prefer the companions of the smuggler, so was thinking that I may play that class instead. I likely will only do playthroughs per the 4 class types (eg sith inquisitor but not jedi consuler)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
can someone explain why imperial agent storyline is so good, as I have heard its the best in the game. is it because its epic in scale/scope?

I'm not seeing the great story yet with the IA. I'm now off the first world, but it hasn't been fantastic.
I liked the Trooper story more until level 10, as I'm not higher than either. That's the only comparison I have.

But I guess the main attraction to it is the way you're feeling like James Bond and they pull that off quite well.
I like my IA, so I'll keep playing him and see more of it. It must be getting pretty good if it's the most recommended class of them all.

CzarTim

You are about to do some of the best ones.

pahamrick

I prefer the companions of the smuggler, so was thinking that I may play that class instead. I likely will only do playthroughs per the 4 class types (eg sith inquisitor but not jedi consuler)

The IA story, for me, didn't really pick up until after the starter planet. I've enjoyed every second of it since, it feels like you're an intergalactic James Bond who just happens to work for the the bad guys. Obviously, it's a matter of taste but of the stories I've been playing so far (IA/SW/SI/BH) it's definitely been the best.

They need to increase the diminishing returns on CC or decrease the cool down across the board on all classes CC escape ability for pvp. It's not as bad as RIFT was which was insane CC, but it still is bad here.

Space battles are actually quite good experience.

Like the space battles, they just need to add more of them and more variety to the enemies and such to mix it up. Has potential and makes a fun little diversion.

Only played it in beta but enjoyed it greatly. I don't think it's anything amazing or epic though, it just was very interesting as it's more about the Empire and not just a bunch of Sith nonsense of dark side backstabbings and shenanigans. IA story gives you better look at the behind the scenes workigns of the Empire along with the differences between the Sith and the Imperials. It's also a class that doesn't feel like it has a set alignment path, you can be good or bad really and it fits. With other classes you often kinda feel like you have to go a certain direction, like being dark in the Jedi path just feels off.

Woorloog

Banned
FFS, when did the maintenance start? It last till 6PM (GMT+2), what the fuck? I'd rather take short daily maintenance like EVE Online has instead of rare maintenance which prevents you from playing at all for the whole day...

LiK

FFS, when did the maintenance start? It last till 6PM (GMT+2), what the fuck? I'd rather take short daily maintenance like EVE Online has instead of rare maintenance which prevents you from playing at all for the whole day...
Yea, I put in a solid 4 hours last night before the down time.

BTW not sure why they took down EVERYTHING - couldn't even access the players guide at swtor.com! And there is no manual in my $150 CE. Fail.

Choc

Banned
are there any classes which don't end up being a go and kill the bad guy end of class quest scenarios?

the reason i ask is that agents etc it seems to fit well that you would sabotage something instead of kill someone. It seems thats all the JKs do.

im guessing no. Currnetly rolling a JK but thinking of changing because the storyline is boring as shite and Jks are dime a dozen on the servers :p

ah so the IA is james bond, is smuggler similar? I imagine not, as I am thinking its a mirror of han solo

they seem to be almost identical in terms of mechanics, although the tone of each story is quite different, as you would expect.

are there any classes which don't end up being a go and kill the bad guy end of class quest scenarios?

the reason i ask is that agents etc it seems to fit well that you would sabotage something instead of kill someone. It seems thats all the JKs do.

im guessing no. Currnetly rolling a JK but thinking of changing because the storyline is boring as shite and Jks are dime a dozen on the servers :p

i've heard people who thought the JK story was boring say that imperial agent was really interesting.

Dash27

I just hit 40 last night and unlocked quite a few things, new speeder, lvl 40 PvP gear, some ship mods and I believe Ilum? I thought that was lvl 50 only? I was pretty sleepy and overwhelmed but I'm almost positive I read something about Ilum and doing... something or other there.

As for the PvP reward nerf, it is a bit on the high side now so I cant complain too much assuming they didnt totally kill it. I wish they would address the afk'ers.

Woorloog

Banned
ah so the IA is james bond, is smuggler similar? I imagine not, as I am thinking its a mirror of han solo

My brother plays a Smuggler, very Han Solo but not carbon copy. The IA is James Bondish with some Sam Fisher; and later on, as you rise ranks, i'd imagine "Grand Moff Tarkin" (one cited inspiration) would come in play as well (but this is just a guess).

The only option would be a stealth class if anything that can skip much of the combat in a zone. Only a few quests let you avoid combat by using dialogue choices.

Dash27

They need to increase the diminishing returns on CC or decrease the cool down across the board on all classes CC escape ability for pvp. It's not as bad as RIFT was which was insane CC, but it still is bad here.

It really is annoying. It wouldn't be quite so bad if you couldn't be chain CC'd.

It really is annoying. It wouldn't be quite so bad if you couldn't be chain CC'd.

Why they need to increase the diminishing returns that CC has. It's in the game right now but it doesn't decrease the CC effect enough. RIFT had it worse since every player combination had tons of CC already at early levels. They implemented diminishing returns that greatly helped that game though not completely. Hopefully they tweak it to stop too much stun locking from multiple CC's.

TheYanger

Nope. I'm on the final part I believe (be careful on the bridges, by the way - huge pain in the ass if you fall), and it has been boring compared to the awesome part one. Is there a third chapter too or is this it? Kind of underwhelming to be honest.

I thought the last mission in chapter 2 was awesome, it felt like Mass Effect 2 compared to ME 1 to me: The actual missions were neat, and the characters are cooler, but the story was generic and unimportant. Chapter 3 is more in-between so far, I'm on Corellia so we'll see how it all pans out once servers come up, but Chapter 2 was definitely the 'lull' for me as well. Hard for anything to live up to what Ch. 1 had. The A-22 mission is fantastic though (after Belsavis).

They implemented diminishing returns that greatly helped that game though not completely. Hopefully they tweak it to stop too much stun locking from multiple CC's.

I hope stunlock will stay in if done skilfully. I understand SWTOR gives you a ton of skills, as long as you require more than 3-4 to stunlock, it should be fine. Part of the whole Skill vs. Gear.

theta11

Why they need to increase the diminishing returns that CC has. It's in the game right now but it doesn't decrease the CC effect enough. RIFT had it worse since every player combination had tons of CC already at early levels. They implemented diminishing returns that greatly helped that game though not completely. Hopefully they tweak it to stop too much stun locking from multiple CC's.

Really, resolve just needs to work, people can just spam CCs on a person to lock them down without a care for the resolve bar. 2 CCs in quick succession should instantly max it out and make the person immune until the bar empties. It would make people pay more attention when firing off CCs. They also need to either lower the CC duration or increase the cooldowns.

I hope stunlock will stay in if done skilfully. I understand SWTOR gives you a ton of skills, as long as you require more than 3-4 to stunlock, it should be fine. Part of the whole Skill vs. Gear.

More of an issue right now with general multiple cc abilities from different players in a pvp warzone causing people to get "stunlocked". It's not like a good rogue in wow who could one on one stunlock certain players as long as he isn't interrupted.

And I blame the crazy amount of inquisitors/consulars on it with all their CC :p

Really, resolve just needs to work, people can just spam CCs on a person to lock them down without a care for the resolve bar 2 CCs in quick succession should instantly max it out and make the person immune until the bar empties. It would make people pay more attention when firing off CCs. They also need to either lower the CC duration or increase the cooldowns.

Or decrease everyone CC escape abilitiy's cool down timer so they can use it more often. It takes too long to recharge when there is too much cc abilities that get spammed out. With my Jug I put the talent points into decreasing that timer and it has helped me in pvp, but still it takes a while too cooldown. For others who can't do it, I can imagine it just being even more annoying.

TheYanger

Really, resolve just needs to work, people can just spam CCs on a person to lock them down without a care for the resolve bar 2 CCs in quick succession should instantly max it out and make the person immune until the bar empties. It would make people pay more attention when firing off CCs. They also need to either lower the CC duration or increase the cooldowns.

I think people just don't understand the resolve bar or don't even realize when it's working. It DOES work, and it fills up freaking fast. 2 hard CCs will fill it afaik. Someone linked that post about resolve a while back that was very informative, and after a few matches I started watching my bar and my opponents' more closely, and it absolutely changes how you approach a lot of fights.

Dina

Along with CC, what's really annoying is the amount of knockbacks combined with a 100% root effect like those consular/inquisitors have. Especially those spammable aoe slows and roots are fucking retarded. As a Vanguard and I two stuns, which is enough, but they have a high cooldown and I have a charge that feels iffy.

I think people just don't understand the resolve bar or don't even realize when it's working. It DOES work, and it fills up freaking fast. 2 hard CCs will fill it afaik. Someone linked that post about resolve a while back that was very informative, and after a few matches I started watching my bar and my opponents' more closely, and it absolutely changes how you approach a lot of fights.

When do you pop your breaker? After your bar fills up completely?

Question about Imperial Agent: I understand Operative can be either a Healer, or Stealth Melee DPS? Do I need to heavily specialize in only one tree to be effective? And how is healing with an Operative?

theta11

Or decrease everyone CC escape abilitiy's cool down timer so they can use it more often. It takes too long to recharge when there is too much cc abilities that get spammed out.

Problem with this is Consulars/Inquisitors. They have so much different CCs compared to other classes it would be difficult to balance the cooldown. Too low a CD would render some other classes useless and too long would be ineffectual.

Lain

After some days of playing (leveled a Jedi Counsel to 16 on a friend's account and now have a 19 Operative on my account) I have matured the idea that the UI in this game is between mediocre and shit, especially for the AH.
The first time I used the AH I had a flashback to the Aion beta for how limited it is, and the limit on number of auctions you can have at the same time reinforced that feeling.
I was told in January or February the UI will be upgraded, but it is still detracting from the overall experience for me.

I also have some annoyances with the number of talents/skills (too many) and how little control over the companion I have for fights that would require me to reposition it to make it not take all the avoidable aoe damage, along some minor gripes with certain bugs (like the one that forces me to log out and back in to be able to loot the mobs I kill).
The gameplay is fun enough and the game runs beautifully on my pc (I even added the AA to the .ini as I've read in this thread and set it to 8), but there are a fair number of little things that bug me the wrong way.
Then again, the game was gifted to me by a very generous friend, so at least I don't feel ripped off.

CzarTim

Problem with this is Consulars/Inquisitors. They have so much different CCs compared to other classes it would be difficult to balance the cooldown. Too low a CD would render some other classes useless and too long would be ineffectual.

Both these classes need to be nerfed back to the 90s.

Piecake

After some days of playing (leveled a Jedi Counsel to 16 on a friend's account and now have a 19 Operative on my account) I have matured the idea that the UI in this game is between mediocre and shit, especially for the AH.
The first time I used the AH I had a flashback to the Aion beta for how limited it is, and the limit on number of auctions you can have at the same time reinforced that feeling.
I was told in January or February the UI will be upgraded, but it is still detracting from the overall experience for me.

I also have some annoyances with the number of talents/skills (too many) and how little control over the companion I have for fights that would require me to reposition it to make it not take all the avoidable aoe damage, along some minor gripes with certain bugs (like the one that forces me to log out and back in to be able to loot the mobs I kill).
The gameplay is fun enough and the game runs beautifully on my pc (I even added the AA to the .ini as I've read in this thread and set it to 8), but there are a fair number of little things that bug me the wrong way.
Then again, the game was gifted to me by a very generous friend, so at least I don't feel ripped off.

I havent even used the AH since it looked kinda crappy. Do people actually use it? -- meaning is it a good way for me to make money if I sell my crap on there? (Kellers Void)

Won

Resolve bar feels more like a "You are already dead" bar. If that thing ever fills up, it's most likely to late.

Tacitus_

Question about Imperial Agent: I understand Operative can be either a Healer, or Stealth Melee DPS? Do I need to heavily specialize in only one tree to be effective? And how is healing with an Operative?

Yes, speccing into one tree until you get the top talent is usually advisable.

Top Bottom