• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Lain

I havent even used the AH since it looked kinda crappy. Do people actually use it? -- meaning is it a good way for me to make money if I sell my crap on there? (Kellers Void)

I have had people buy some of the stuff I've been selling, namely armors I made and some drops. I even sold some plans I bought for 260 credits and put back up for 1500.

Sokantish

They need to increase the diminishing returns on CC or decrease the cool down across the board on all classes CC escape ability for pvp. It's not as bad as RIFT was which was insane CC, but it still is bad here.

I don't think there is DR at all right now... at least it doesn't feel like there is.

theta11

I'm sneak this in now...

If they gonna leave CC as is they should return PVP healing back to 100%. >_> <_< >_>

...and fix the UI...

Piecake

Question about Imperial Agent: I understand Operative can be either a Healer, or Stealth Melee DPS? Do I need to heavily specialize in only one tree to be effective? And how is healing with an Operative?

Im enjoying it so far. Im a pretty low level, but so far I havent had too much trouble keeping everyone up. No group heal and no instant heal yet, so it gets kinda itneresting if the tank is bad or AoE dmg is happening, but still doable.

Ive read that there are some builds that stop putting points into medicine after they get Kolto Probe and then go into one of the dps trees. That might be doable for Flash points if you are on the ball, but who knows.

I really havent had any trouble leveling so far since I still do decent dmg and my companion kicks butt.

I'm making 500k+ a day selling mats. Made 800k yesterday.

That is freaking crazy. I have like 16k to my name :(

Spookie

Healing difficult ramps up like a motherfucker in the 20-30's. I can't live without my AoE heal now.

Speaking of healing, I tried speccing healing and using Blizz (ranged tank pet) to tank the mobs in a regular quest chain. Even after twinking him out he still went down quicker than I did in DPS gear. Ho-hum.

It doesn't work (99% of the time). Go duel a friend and do nothing but CC, at no point will the CC time lower. There is a big thread on the SWTOR forums about it.

It doesn't work (99% of the time). Go duel a friend and do nothing but CC, at no point will the CC time lower. There is a big thread on the SWTOR forums about it.

Other posts have pointed out that it does work, but doesn't seem to work perfectly or some abilities are not counted properly into it right now. Also the effect of the resolve bar and how fast it fills should probably be increased if anything right now.

TheYanger

Along with CC, what's really annoying is the amount of knockbacks combined with a 100% root effect like those consular/inquisitors have. Especially those spammable aoe slows and roots are fucking retarded. As a Vanguard and I two stuns, which is enough, but they have a high cooldown and I have a charge that feels iffy.

When do you pop your breaker? After your bar fills up completely?

Like the second set of CC, which will then lead it to be full next time they try to do it. The first CC you might as well just eat because you will get re-CC'ed. Need to pre-emptively use CDs too if possible.

The snares I'm 100% with you on, those are totally unaffected by Resolve and unless you're a ranged class are completely crippling.

Dash27

I tried testing it specifically in beta with a friend and it didnt work. Seems to be either still broken or in need of a buff now.

I wouldnt give people too many break free abilities, you still want it to be tactical.

Other posts have pointed out that it does work, but doesn't seem to work perfectly or some abilities are not counted properly into it right now. Also the effect of the resolve bar and how fast it fills should probably be increased if anything right now.

Well at least they have that resolve bar... I am sure with some tweaking then can make cc less serious in PvP. I am totally against any form of cc in PvP (never take control away from player) so I would be happy if the cc abilities had different effects vs players (like the tank taunt... it doesn't really taunt but reduces damage by 30% if attacking another target). That just makes more sense in a PvP world IMHO.

Jarmel

Banned
Like the second set of CC, which will then lead it to be full next time they try to do it. The first CC you might as well just eat because you will get re-CC'ed. Need to pre-emptively use CDs too if possible.

The snares I'm 100% with you on, those are totally unaffected by Resolve and unless you're a ranged class are completely crippling.

Essentially this. Melee classes are shit because of the knockbacks, snares, amount of hard locks and the fact that someone could shoot them out of range of their lightsabers. Resolve is nowhere near effective enough as it is.

As I stated earlier, Bioware seems to be really punishing the Jedi classes in one shape or another. Knights/Warriors are pretty much garbage in PVP and Inq/Cons deal with the crappier storylines. Either way you pay to play.

CzarTim

Feel like I'm buying all those mats, man is cybertech crafting expensive :/

I'll buy you a drink sometime in my golden space yacht.

Essentially this. Melee classes are shit because of the knockbacks, snares, amount of hard locks and the fact that someone could shoot them out of range of their lightsabers. Resolve is nowhere near effective enough as it is.

As I stated earlier, Bioware seems to be really punishing the Jedi classes in one shape or another. Knights/Warriors are pretty much garbage in PVP and Inq/Cons deal with the crappier storylines. Either way you pay to play.

Don't even know why mmo devs allow CCs in pvp. They're never fun and everybody hates them. Takes the fun out of it.

Dash27

So who else is kinda disappointed that their Trooper looked better in 30's than 40+? I hope this game implements some kind of visual overlay system like EQ2 and Rift.

oneils

Is the collector's edition worth the premium it wants me to pay for it or should I just settle for the normal retail edition?

I settled on standard digital edition. Very satisfied. Apparently the physical copy does not have much by way of manuals/maps. So, I went digital. I don't really need another box lying around.

Collector's edition stuff looks cool, but does not really have what I was looking for. I just want a semi-decent manual that outlines classes, theirs skills, and trees. Maybe I will pick up a strategy guide, instead.

I'll buy you a drink sometime in my golden space yacht.

Don't even know why mmo devs allow CCs in pvp. They're never fun and everybody hates them. Takes the fun out of it.

I love Leg Shotting someone in place, then loading up an Aimed Shot and seeing it crit. Hmmm.

rukland

So who else is kinda disappointed that their Trooper looked better in 30's than 40+? I hope this game implements some kind of visual overlay system like EQ2 and Rift.

Um you know you can just use the orange gear and mod the hell out of it if you liked it's look better right?

Because they are a big part of how the characters play and work in the PvE game, you take away a bunch of abilities and make a waste of talent points for characters who play PvP. Devs don't want to take away a bnch of a class abilities from them, which is just going to cause more balance issues (and theres always a mess when it comes to pvp). It's unfair for them so they have to keep the CC abilities in. Stuff like the resolve bar are supposed to help, but removing CC's is not really a viable answer.

It's the problem of MMOs and trying to balance PvE with PvP which always causes issues.

TheYanger

My trooper looks way cooler now than it did then. Just use moddable armor, maybe that's the issue you're having? orange/moddable armor is exactly as good as the mods inside of it, the base armors are all identical without them.

CzarTim

Because they are a big part of how the characters play and work in the PvE game, you take away a bunch of abilities and make a waste of talent points for characters who play PvP. It's unfair for them so they have to keep the CC abilities in. Stuff like the resolve bar are supposed to help, but removing CC's is not really a viable answer.

It's the problem of MMOs and trying to balance PvE with PvP which always causes issues.

I call bullshit. I have a few abilities that don't work in PVP as is. The fact is, when I die because of CC in any capacity, I feel like it's cheap. If I die because I'm overrun or get outplayed in a smaller fight, then fine. But CC is a cheap shot below the belt.

Jarmel

Banned
I call bullshit. I have a few abilities that don't work in PVP as is. The fact is, when I die because of CC in any capacity, I feel like it's cheap. If I die because I'm overrun or get outplayed in a smaller fight, then fine. But CC is a cheap shot below the belt.

There should be a limited ability that completely counters hard locks before it affects you, sort of a shield, along with the CC break for melee classes. That way when a melee jumps into the fray, they activate the shield before hand and can shrug off some of the CC locks. The ranged classes still have knockbacks and snares so they can still get some distance.

Fuck.

LowParry

There should be a limited ability that completely counters hard locks before it affects you, sort of a shield, along with the CC break for melee classes. That way when a melee jumps into the fray, they activate the shield before hand and can shrug off some of the CC locks. The ranged classes still have knockbacks and snares so they can still get some distance.

Doesn't Force Shroud do this sort of thing?

cackhyena

I'm getting this in the mail tomorrow. Can someone recommend me a good server? I don't plan on doing any PVP. I'm kinda noobish at MMOs. Played Wow for a bit last year, but that's the extent of my playtime any the genre.

Your just venting frustration, but it's true. And it's not about taking away from CC from a few people, it would remove it from tons of classes, and some classes pretty much depend on it. Everyone has abilities that aren't effective in pvp to an extent of course, but to continually remove abilities and such from PVP is really going to dilute the game.

Trying to find a balance is more ideal. The Resolve bar is a tool that can help, they need to tweak it and make more abilities count towards filling it up.

Course it's always moot when it comes to MMO pvp, they are always a constant tug of war of nerfs and buffs that never end.

Garryk

I just hope that Bioware figures out how to balance pvp (lol) and not fuck up pve. It always boggled my mind in WoW why they would nerf abilities across the board when they were only causing an imbalance in pvp. Why can't they just scale the abilities when they are using against another player character?

erragal

Fuck.

If you're Juggernaut there's a talent to make force charge do this with temporary damage reduction: Unstoppable (Aptly named!!) Can't wait to start pvping on my juggernaut, it's going to result in endless QQ.

CzarTim

I just hope that Bioware figures out how to balance pvp (lol) and not fuck up pve. It always boggled my mind in WoW why they would nerf abilities across the board when they were only causing an imbalance in pvp. Why can't they just scale the abilities when they are using against another player character?

I was wondering this too. Seems like it would be a mess to try to balance all this shit. Just give some abilities different stats for PVP. Would make it easier.

Jarmel

Banned
If you're Juggernaut there's a talent to make force charge do this with temporary damage reduction: Unstoppable (Aptly named!!) Can't wait to start pvping on my juggernaut, it's going to result in endless QQ.

Arrrgggghhh. It's not in my tree. It's in the freaking damage tree.

goodfella

So this is my first ever MMO, I'm coming from playing the original two games.

Any things I should be aware of when first starting out?

What server should I choose if I wanted have the option to play with GAF at some point down the line?

Is there an easy starter sever?

Top Bottom