• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

``Remaining baby names have been added to the credits.``

Glad the priorities are important for the team lol ;)

I hope the Taris stuff they say is fixed was the flickering trees during the cut scenes,really annoying,in fact all of Taris is annoying with no AA so many jaggies...

Getting proper credits is important for the whole team that worked on this game. And having babies born during the development cycle has long been a tradition for at least PC Games.

Might seem like a small thing to you, to all the employees at BW it is a big deal.

People who have no clue what it takes to develop games or write code making smart ass comments about the lack of certain features or the timing for a fix makes me want to cut myself.

Mostly it's people who want their pet peeves fixed. The funniest for me is all the whining about no chat bubbles.

Sokantish

lvl 42 tracer missile spamming, slicer abusing merc reporting in.
I kinda enjoy pvp but i hate hutball. Not allowing to choose which warzone to queue must be the stupidest design choice ever. The turret one is the most enjoyable to me and i rarely get to play that one.

They seem to get a good mix in as far as random warzones go though... I've only had the same one twice in a row a few times. Huttball really isn't that bad either as long as you have a couple other people that know how to pass. Alderaan is my favorite too, although maybe having the speeders go directly to the left or right side might be a little too good. Two people can keep a bunch of people from capping just because they can get back to it so fast

Garryk

Put me in the "hate Huttball" camp too.
Huttball is as enjoyable as your team is. If you have teammates that are good at passing then you will have a blast. If the other team excels at this then you are going to rage.

EDIT: You get Huttball the most because I believe it is the only warzone where you can have same-faction battles whereas the other two have to be Empire vs. Republic. So if your server is lopsided then you will get Huttball a lot.

daedalius

Depends on what you are fighting, but you want to usually plan out your abilities to go along with your companion and what you have them set to perform.

My companion is on default, and I'm more interested in what kind of rotation/priority to use against elite enemies, etc. I guess its not even that specific, I just want to have some structure to the order I am hitting my buttons; right now, there is none.

Cptkrush

Is there anyway to fix right click? And by fix, I mean make it only the basic attack instead of the 1 key on the quick bar... It's really frustrating coming from WoW to have to keep my basic attack on my quick bar.
Strangely, I'm not the least bit bothered by the fact that this game doesn't have auto attack, I thought I would be.

Izayoi

Banned
AA? How about the high-rez textures? Saying that even on medium some planets in this game drop to 40FPS on a 580. I wonder if my FPS would drop even lower. :/
That doesn't sound right. I almost never go below 100FPS on my 580 (with environment lighting and 4xMSAA), let alone going below 60.

bestami

Huttball is as enjoyable as your team is. If you have teammates that are good at passing then you will have a blast. If the other team excels at this then you are going to rage.

Rage wasn't the reason for my comments. It's not about winning or losing. Hutball is boring even when you are winning. It's just a shitty ctf mode with hazards thrown in. I don't feel any excitement when playing it for some reason.

pahamrick

Damn, I'm mad slicing got nerfed. I was busy working my way back up with my IA...

Can't wait to get 5 credits from level 2 boxes now.

My main slicer has 400 slicing, I'm curious to see what rich yield class 5 lockboxes will give now, as before I averaged 3-4k per box on them.

If the returns are less than the cost of the missions (at 30+ minutes per) then I'll drop slicing and work on BioChem.

Oh, Slicing got nerfed? Dependant on how badly it got nerfed, I'll just drop it for Cybertech so I'll be Cybertech/Scavenging/Underworld Trading.

Dunlop

Damn, I'm mad slicing got nerfed. I was busy working my way back up with my IA...

Can't wait to get 5 credits from level 2 boxes now.

sucks but it was so horribly broken.

Specced into it yesterday morning and make over 170 k, at least 20 missions half of which are purple. All for clicking a button, no crafting or AH required.

I don't know how that made it past beta, wish I had jumped on the gravy train sooner, I'm still 50k short for the lvl 2 speeder although I am only lvl 32

oneils

So is there any rhyme or reason to the order in which I use my skills as a BH/Powertech at level 15? Or just mash whatever comes up? I don't really like this, I just feel like a scrub.

What skills should I even be using as powertech mostly? it doesn't feel like the cooldowns on abilities lend themselves to any kind of rotation or priority.

You could check out this guide. There is a part on skill rotation that may be useful.

http://torwars.com/2011/12/05/bounty-hunter-a-newbies-guide/

It does not go into advanced classes, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Slicing nerf was bound to happen.

The question is now, how useless has it become? Keeping in mind medium boxes are most of the time what you get for the max level missions. I have a feeling it's barely going to be profitable now.

Slicing I think should be made more of a gamble. Have chance of making big credits, but increase chance of failure and lowered overal rewards. It was broken before as it was basically impossible to lose money with it.

My companion is on default, and I'm more interested in what kind of rotation/priority to use against elite enemies, etc. I guess its not even that specific, I just want to have some structure to the order I am hitting my buttons; right now, there is none.

Thats the thing though, you have to approach different mobs differently at times. Set your companion to attack the regular adds for example at times, or go after the ones that are going to charge at you with CC. If its a group with a healer npc, you will probably want to kill him first or CC him in place. If your CD is one with your mortar/missles you can often just bombard the group and have your companion focus on the elite which you can then join on, perhaps switcing to armor piercing in the process. I don't find with the trooper BH to be a very specific normal rotation of abilities, you are a jack of all trades in a sense and have to mix it up depending on what you fight. Your AC choice also lets you play differently as you can also change the stance and how your companion plays to better suit your AC.

Kettch

People who have no clue what it takes to develop games or write code making smart ass comments about the lack of certain features or the timing for a fix makes me want to cut myself.

I don't think it's too much to ask for an option that was in the game for the entire beta and then removed for release for some reason. :/

JWong

Banned
You could check out this guide. There is a part on skill rotation that may be useful.

http://torwars.com/2011/12/05/bounty-hunter-a-newbies-guide/

It does not go into advanced classes, though.

Rotations really unnecessary until high levels... 1-10, you can just get away with spamming basic attacks.

I don't think it's too much to ask for an option that was in the game for the entire beta and then removed for release for some reason. :/

Some reason being that it was causing instabilities with the game. Rather have a stable game than to make it look a bit more prettier.

knitoe

And here I convinced half my guild mates to drop a skill for slicing just a couple days ago. Oops.
Still worth it. I dropped lvl 400 treasure hunting. I made almost 1 mill in a couple of days. At lvl40, I barely had 60K for lvl40 speeder. Pay that off, and currently, I have 600K. Ready for lvl50 speeder.

Izayoi

Banned
Still worth it. I dropped lvl 400 treasure hunting. I made almost 1 mill in a couple of days. I barely 60K for lvl40 speeder. Pay that off, and currently, I have 600K. Ready for lvl50 speeder.
Best level 50 speeder is 1.5mil credits, though. :(

Garryk

Rage wasn't the reason for my comments. It's not about winning or losing. Hutball is boring even when you are winning. It's just a shitty ctf mode with hazards thrown in. I don't feel any excitement when playing it for some reason.
Yeah it is essentially CTF but I enjoy it (this is coming from a person that HATES Warsong Gulch in WoW). I get a kick out of CCing someone on top of a burner or using a knockback into an acid pit. The announcers get old but I just turn the sound off.

I think it would be better if they threw in some powerups placed around the field or if the announcers activated deathtraps throughout the match like flooding the ground level with acid or spawning Destroyer droids around the ball. I think Huttball has a lot of potential and I hope they add in some more maps.

pahamrick

People already claiming slicing is useless without seeing how it was nerfed?

I don't think it'll be useless, but it depends on how much the return is. Frankly, I originally took slicing for the Cybertech schematics as my IA is Cybertech. However, I'm lucky if I average 3-4 schematics in a day and that is with 3 companions doing nothing but Slicing missions whenever I'm playing. The majority of the time, those 3-4 schematics are duplicates.

Spending 1.6k+ and getting 3-4k back was a nice bonus, as long as the medium boxes still return a profit of 400+ credits I'll be happy, but if the credit is less than 100 it's just not worth it as I'd make more money spamming treasure hunting and selling the gear I get.

Kettch

It was an option that never was actually in the beta, it just appeared in the menu but was always disabled.

I'm talking about the ground clutter draw distance, so that you don't have grass popping up right in front of your character. It was in for every beta build that I played.

Zafir

Best? Is it just an appearance thing or is that one suppose to be heads and shoulders better than the others? I'm assuming it's the VIP vendor one your talking about.

Appearance thing. The normal looking 110% speeder is 55k. Much cheaper than that 1.5mil one.

Izayoi

Banned
If someone started slicing since day 1, pretty sure they easily can afford it.
Skills are still pretty expensive (as are bank slots and inventory slots). I regret buying all of my additional bank slots and inventory slots now, as I won't have enough for the 1.5mil speeder by the time I hit 50. Feels bad.

daedalius

Rotations really unnecessary until high levels... 1-10, you can just get away with spamming basic attacks.

I guess I'd still like to know what abilities would be best to use later on so I can set up my bars accordingly now.

From talents it looks like Powertech should mostly concentrate on flame and melee attacks, with a rail shot thrown in right after the blade-punch or whatever it is.

Izayoi

Banned
Appearance thing. The normal looking 110% speeder is 55k. Much cheaper than that 1.5mil one.
The more expensive speeders are more durable. Even the 55k level 40 one is really durable. I can plow through groups of mobs and not be dismounted. I can't imagine how durable the 50 ones are.

Pakman

The more expensive speeders are more durable. Even the 55k level 40 one is really durable. I can plow through groups of mobs and not be dismounted. I can't imagine how durable the 50 ones are.

Oh so it's harder to be knocked off? That's cool- never knew. Where is the level 40 55k one?

Slicing nerf was bound to happen.

The question is now, how useless has it become? Keeping in mind medium boxes are most of the time what you get for the max level missions. I have a feeling it's barely going to be profitable now.

Schematics. Missions. I think it'll be fine, but there are going to be less slicers now, certainly

Source? or how do you know this

Patch notes, Slicing got nerfed. Considering how much you get for certain missions (like ones where the reward is sent to your mailbox) I won't be surprised if the nerf is huge. It probably was necessary, but it's an issue of fairness at this point. Oh well, not a big deal.

Top Bottom