• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

knitoe

Took a quick look at my payment history for wow, and I have 15 one day credits and 1 three day credit.

So definitely more than once.

I remember getting most of the credit for unschedule or extended server downtime which happens often in the beginning, but still, the frequency of schedule downtime wasn't often as this.

CAW

Strange, I played WoW since 2005, off and on, and don't remember that but then again my memory is shit. I vaguely remember a day or two downtime, something really long? I think I might have been credited that time, but again my memory is crap and I don't remember the full details.

To be more specific, I've, personally, never seen credit for an extended downtime that lasted a few extra hours.

neoemonk

Strange, I played WoW since 2005, off and on, and don't remember that but then again my memory is shit. I vaguely remember a day or two downtime, something really long? I think I might have been credited that time, but again my memory is crap and I don't remember the full details.

To be more specific, I've, personally, never seen credit for an extended downtime that lasted a few extra hours.

You can look at your account history in WoW and see all your credited days.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have altered the deal, pray I do not alter it any further.
044159e6e0b6bbae9a223ead74efee75883a7b7.gif

You can look at your account history in WoW and see all your credited days.
I can confirm this. I've actively played WoW only for a month and I have probably 7 days credited in there. I thought that was a great way to handle it back then. (Better than what was before it anyway.)

TheYanger

No, the 55k version adds 10% extra speed, and it's for level 50s. It may add durability too, I guess, but I didn't think that was the case.

The 55k level 40 one is just for looks, I have it, it looks cool.
All 40 speeders are equal, and all 50 speeders are equal.
40 speeders definitely have better knock-off resistance, it says so right on the tooltip and it's VERY noticeable, I'm hoping 50 is even moreso. I ride past groups of mobs all the time since 40.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Are there patch notes somewhere that explain this slicing nerf? If it's too bad I may just drop it for something else as I'm already sitting at 1.5 mil.

Edit: Found 'em.

Garryk

You can't bitch about downtime because you accepted the EULA/TOS. Has anyone made a SWTOR-themed "Deal With It" gif yet?

Also, lol at the entitlement thing still going.

Curious about that myself because I've played a lot of MMOs and don't remember ever being compensated for extended maintenance.

WoW compensated you when there was extended maintenance, I remember getting 2-3 days credited. I was also on shitty server that at time would be down while others are up so it is not uncommon but I wouldn't expect compensation for few hours ...

For those of you new to MMORPG this is nothing unusual...downtime is the norm.

You can't bitch about downtime because you accepted the EULA/TOS. Has anyone made a SWTOR-themed "Deal With It" gif yet?

Also, lol at the entitlement thing still going.

I think it's hilarious. I got jumped on by a bunch of clowns in this thread for saying Bioware picked a shitty time for maitenence. Now the last two pages are about the same thing. And all the bugs, and random shit, but nobody is saying ANYTHING. lol

You stay Classy, Gaf.

knitoe

WoW compensated you when there was extended maintenance, I remember getting 2-3 days credited. I was also on shitty server that at time would be down while others are up so it is not uncommon but I wouldn't expect compensation for few hours ...

For those of you new to MMORPG this is nothing unusual...downtime is the norm.

Downtime is normal, but the schedule frequency of them happening is not. I thought it was weird from the start. Didn't expect them to be keeping the same pace.

rukland

wowcredit.png

And thats just the first few months. The server I played on (Blackhand) had nothing but issues at the start. So at this point SWTOR is doing just fine.

hamchan

I think it's hilarious. I got jumped on by a bunch of clowns in this thread for saying Bioware picked a shitty time for maitenence. Now the last two pages are about the same thing. And all the bugs, and random shit, but nobody is saying ANYTHING. lol

You stay Classy, Gaf.
Who are these people that shit on you, be specific. Also when I posted beforethat the maintenance times were shit people generally seemed to agree with me.

JWong

Banned
wowcredit.png

And thats just the first few months. The server I played on (Blackhand) had nothing but issues at the start. So at this point SWTOR is doing just fine.

Wat? Lol.

I don't remember that happening. Was it for people on the bad servers?

I only remember getting about 3 days worth.

Who are these people that shit on you, be specific. Also when I posted beforethat the maintenance times were shit people generally seemed to agree with me.

If you disagree or have something contrary to say to someone, they consider it "being shit upon". Thin skin

Wat? Lol.

I don't remember that happening. Was it for people on the bad servers?

I only remember getting about 3 days worth.

That looks like when the game had a ton of issues for a while after launch. Started near the holidays where the servers were constantly going down or lot of folks couldn't get on the servers. Remember it was soon when my GF and me had started the game up together and their service went to shit right then

You can't complain because you agreed to something? How does that make sense?

Well, I don't think anyone that's played MMO's should complain. It happens. It's nothing something their team is doing to intentionally piss players off. But it seems the playerbase is even more jaded with unrealistic demands and expectations than WoW. And that's saying a lot.

At least that's the vibe I get from the official TOR forums.

Garryk

You can't complain because you agreed to something? How does that make sense?
I was being sarcastic.

I wish the forums weren't blocked at work so I could read all the thread titles along the lines of "I WANT A REFUND!!!!" It's like no one has ever played an MMO before. I was giddy as shit that the thing worked on the first day.

He was upset about the downtime at the end of early access that ended at 12am EST launch day I believe. There were couple of posters that called him entitled.

Sappy113

I was on that same server. Yea, was in a bad shape way back then. But this is six years later, MMOs have come a long way and Bioware really should've decided having maintenance for EU servers in off-hours.

rukland

I was on that same server. Yea, was in a bad shape way back then. But this is six years later, MMOs have come a long way and Bioware really should've decided having maintenance for EU servers in off-hours.

Let's face it American companies still treat the EU as 3rd world gamers when it comes to support and down time. Something that needs to change and hell I live in the US and still think this is shitty for them.

erragal

You stay Classy, Gaf.

It all depends on your perspective and your expectations. If you've played MMO's before or have any conception of the amount of code that goes into creating a game like this than SWTOR is an excellent game with a relatively minor list of glaring issues.

If you expect every game to be a completely flawless, zero outstanding bugs experience no MMO is for you and I'd really suggest you avoid a good majority of PC games in general. Having to support a huge array of potential hardware and software configurations always leaves room for unanticipated clashes that are specific to a very small population of people.

How have they picked a bad time for maintenence? By choosing the exact same day and time as the largest MMO ever? It's the first official maintenence after launch, of course things are going to crop up especially early because patches are going to be rolled out pretty regularly as they iron out issues (And hopefully have an aggressive content update plan).

Garryk

Downtime has never bothered me. We had it all the time in Star Wars Galaxies and we filled the gap on the forums doing Star Wars Trivia. It's kinda sad how slow the traffic is on the Star Wars discussion forum.

mik83kuu, Hollywood Duo, EGG, Soroc, probably a few others. And what I was complaining about was mild compared to the complaining we've seen now. I'm not bothered by it, nor is it thin skin. I think the hypocrisy is hilarious.

Anyway, I hope Bioware gets their shit together. Like I said previously, this game is a bit jarring. Parts of it are incredibly polished, and extremely enjoyable, then you run into a part where it feels like the entire thing was glossed over. Even small shit like the gathering nodes bug... how is that shit happening when they had people beta testing it for so long?

I'm not a fan of how you can interrupt your own attacks either. Has anybody else encountered this?

Took a quick look at my payment history for wow, and I have 15 one day credits and 1 three day credit.

So definitely more than once.

Yeah but Blizzard has always compensated when the servers were down for a near day or more. The people asking for compensation in this thread over a few hours lost is lol worthy.

Dudes trippin hard yo.

Sigfodr

Downtime is normal, but the schedule frequency of them happening is not. I thought it was weird from the start. Didn't expect them to be keeping the same pace.

Yeah, since this game launched patch frequency has been pretty high. You'd think they would have smoothed out maintenance frequency within seven days.

Sappy113

mik83kuu, Hollywood Duo, EGG, Soroc, probably a few others. And what I was complaining about was mild compared to the complaining we've seen now. I'm not bothered by it, nor is it thin skin. I think the hypocrisy is hilarious.

Anyway, I hope Bioware gets their shit together. Like I said previously, this game is a bit jarring. Parts of it are incredibly polished, and extremely enjoyable, then you run into a part where it feels like the entire thing was glossed over. Even small shit like the gathering nodes bug... how is that shit happening when they had people beta testing it for so long?

I'm not a fan of how you can interrupt your own attacks either. Has anybody else encountered this?

I feel what you're saying, but I always felt that early in the life of a MMO, you have to look at potential as well as what's actually in the game. I guess MMOs is such a complex game to code and organize, that there'll always be stuff in there that's less than optimal. As long as it overall delivers a good gaming experience with potential to be excellent, it's in fairly good shape.

JWong

Banned
That looks like when the game had a ton of issues for a while after launch. Started near the holidays where the servers were constantly going down or lot of folks couldn't get on the servers. Remember it was soon when my GF and me had started the game up together and their service went to shit right then

I wasn't on the server cluster (Blackrock, etc.) that kept going down. I leveled to 60 in 2 weeks without much interruptions.

It all depends on your perspective and your expectations. If you've played MMO's before or have any conception of the amount of code that goes into creating a game like this than SWTOR is an excellent game with a relatively minor list of glaring issues.

If you expect every game to be a completely flawless, zero outstanding bugs experience no MMO is for you and I'd really suggest you avoid a good majority of PC games in general. Having to support a huge array of potential hardware and software configurations always leaves room for unanticipated clashes that are specific to a very small population of people.

How have they picked a bad time for maintenence? By choosing the exact same day and time as the largest MMO ever? It's the first official maintenence after launch, of course things are going to crop up especially early because patches are going to be rolled out pretty regularly as they iron out issues (And hopefully have an aggressive content update plan).

Downtime doesn't bother me at all, actually. I understand the neccesity of it. I'm not even complaining about the extended time today. I can't play right now anyway, I'm at work. I'm not a hardcore MMO person anymore either. I don't have the time or patience for it. I think my main is level 14 right now. I'm taking my time. I'm not frothing at the mouth and wanting somebody's head on a pike because I can't play atm.

If you check my previous post you'll see an explanation for the entitled thing.

My only real issue here is it seems like Bioware has jacked so much from blizzard, that I feel some of the issues I'm running into simply shouldn't exist. Like the game was basically pushed out the door 6 months early. It's jarring because so much works really well, then there are other things were it's like 'How in the fuck did this part get past beta?".

Dash27

I'm kinda the opposite, I'm typically impressed when things aren't totally unplayable. I think the bar has been set low from being in MMO's since Ultima the original EQ. Gathering node bug is way low on the list. MMO scope and scale now is so huge with so many features, I think Bioware has done a very good job for the most part.

The one notable exception for me is the UI. They need to get it customizable and add more utility asap.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Really? Come on man. I still run into bugs like that in WoW. Mobs bug out. Nodes bug out. Shit happens.

Also, as a tank, the ability to interupt your own attacks has saved my group many times. Has allowed me to stop a big attack quite a few times.

Lain

Speaking for myself, because it is 18:16 where I live and the servers are still down.

erragal

Are you referring to channeled attacks that you can interrupt, or abilities with activation times? That's certainly intended so you have the ability to react to things happening around you. Otherwise I have no idea what you mean by this.

Yeah, since this game launched patch frequency has been pretty high. You'd think they would have smoothed out maintenance frequency within seven days.

Please be sarcasm?

Speaking for myself, because it is 18:16 where I live and the servers are still down.

That's something you could criticize: not having separate server maintenence times for different regions. Reasonable criticism certainly, though changing the time then has different regions on different versions of the game which is a negative. It's still the first week though, a couple months from now extended maintenence will be the exception (Large patches) and hopefully it won't impact anyone too much.

TheYanger

Any time is a bad time for someone in the world. Doesn't matter when any MMO developer chooses to do their maintenance, someone always gets butthurt over it.

They don't have to patch simultaneously in all regions, though. that's a choice they're making and they SHOULD suffer annoyance from europeans because of it. WoW gets patched during the middle of the night for all territories, for instance.

There are plusses and minuses each way, but it doesn't mean customers shouldn't be irked about things that irk them.

Really? Come on man. I still run into bugs like that in WoW. Mobs bug out. Nodes bug out. Shit happens.

Also, as a tank, the ability to interupt your own attacks has saved my group many times. Has allowed me to stop a big attack quite a few times.

No, man, sorry, that shit is bullshit. I've been able to mine 3 nodes since I picked up my skills the other day. 3. That's ridiculous.

I'm a tank as well, and tanked for a raiding guild on WoW. I'll explain later when I can post more freely.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They don't have to patch simultaneously in all regions, though. that's a choice they're making and they SHOULD suffer annoyance from europeans because of it. WoW gets patched during the middle of the night for all territories, for instance.

There are plusses and minuses each way, but it doesn't mean customers shouldn't be irked about things that irk them.

They probably have a team working together during all of this. I doubt it's multiple ones spread all over the place. It would be dumb of them to have someone else come in and say 'ok, don't touch these, but you can work on these'

Also, then all the Europeans would go on US servers and vice versa when it happens. Giving more unnecessary loads. All MMOs do it at the same time for a reason

pahamrick

No, man, sorry, that shit is bullshit. I've been able to mine 3 nodes since I picked up my skills the other day. 3. That's ridiculous.

I'm a tank as well, and tanked for a raiding guild on WoW. I'll explain later when I can post more freely.

Only 3? That's weird. I've come across the occasional bugged node, but I probably grabbed well over a hundred scavenging nodes yesterday on my IA.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only 3? That's weird. I've come across the occasional bugged node, but I probably grabbed well over a hundred scavenging nodes yesterday on my IA.

Yep. Harvested about 30 crystals yesterday. Only encountered two bugged nodes. Haven't encountered a single bugged slicing node on my Operative, either.

TheYanger

They probably have a team working together during all of this. I doubt it's multiple ones spread all over the place. It would be dumb of them to have someone else come in and say 'ok, don't touch these, but you can work on these'

Also, then all the Europeans would go on US servers and vice versa when it happens. Giving more unnecessary loads. All MMOs do it at the same time for a reason

Did you even read what I wrote? WoW specifically does NOT do it at the same time, they do it at the same time relative to the region. Many MMOs have done that. It's not hard.
I'm in the NA, it doesn't really affect me, but if I was a Euro I'd be fucking annoyed. It's a stupid decision.

Top Bottom