• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

knitoe

Oh so it's harder to be knocked off? That's cool- never knew. Where is the level 40 55k one?
Believe, every vendor that sales lvl25 speeder also sales the lvl40. Also, each one carriers a unique speeder. The Quesh one is nice. Has missile looking silver / grey one.

Proxy

AllisonBerryman said:
Hello everyone! We are still working on the various items in today’s maintenance and wanted to give you a quick update. We are going to extend today’s maintenance window to ensure we have everything just right before we open the servers. We know you are all eager to return to the game and apologize to you for the interruption. At this time, we do not have an estimate as to when the servers will come back up, but we’ll keep you updated in this thread and will get them up and running as soon as we can. Thank you all for your patience today.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91359

Well great. :\

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is there going to be any kind of compensation for extended downtime like this? I mean people are paying to not play in situations like this.

King_Moc

Banned
I mean, i accept that there will be down time, but this is the last day of holiday before everyone is back to work over here. I'd rather have played with the bugs still in and have them sort it out tomorrow.

Pakman

Yea, but hardly a surprise. I seem to remember the same happened all the time whenever WoW got patched. Sucks for us EU players, though. Maintenance all throughout the day during Christmas holidays.

EA's just looking out for you EU players. They want you to be spending time with your family instead of in game.

I kid...

pahamrick

I don't remember a mmo having this many downtime. Almost every 3 days. Ridiculous.

And, I love how they tell you to go to website for update only to put you in the que access the site.

I remember WoW having pretty bad downtimes when it first launched, so bad in fact they were crediting days to people's accounts to make up for the extreme and frequent maintenance downtime.

whyman

So im paying to play a game that dont have any servers online and the website wont load because they cant handle the ammount of people trying to view it... Great, now this is why i havent played an MMO in a long time. Hope it gets better over time or this game will die.

calder

Ugh, I can't believe I was actually up before 10am (very rare for me on a day off :p) and got hooped by server downtime. Reminds me of when I was a WoW-fiend and was working odd hours, the late night scheduled service would screw me out of 3-4 hours of playing every week lol.

I guess I'd still like to know what abilities would be best to use later on so I can set up my bars accordingly now.

From talents it looks like Powertech should mostly concentrate on flame and melee attacks, with a rail shot thrown in right after the blade-punch or whatever it is.

Rotations don't really start until 40 when you get your 31-point skill. Even then, it can still change based on learning new abilities.

Jarmel

Banned
People who have no clue what it takes to develop games or write code making smart ass comments about the lack of certain features or the timing for a fix makes me want to cut myself.

When you pay for a product you expect a certain level of quality. Something as fucking rudimentary as AA in a game at the tail end of 2011 is beyond expected.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't mind the slicing nerf. We all knew it would happen. No sense in bitching about it when it did. It was broken. Period.

To be honest, I'm ready to move on to working on my Cybertech.

CAW

Ugh, I can't believe I was actually up before 10am (very rare for me on a day off :p) and got hooped by server downtime. Reminds me of when I was a WoW-fiend and was working odd hours, the late night scheduled service would screw me out of 3-4 hours of playing every week lol.

Yep - veteran WoW player here myself that should know not to get up early on Tuesdays but I still do, and always have. Only reason I didn't go back to bed was because I had already made coffee. Curses!

Is this like everyone's first MMO or something? Or have you guys just never played a MMO at launch?

I've played MMOs that give people extra days after extended unscheduled downtime.

Really? They're probably talking a few extra hours at most. What MMO compensated you for that? I know WoW didn't, Rift doesn't, UO doesnt, Lineage didn't.

Only when the extended maintenance took days did they compensate you.

CAW

Really? They're probably talking a few extra hours at most. What MMO compensated you for that? I know WoW didn't, Rift doesn't, UO doesnt, Lineage didn't.

Only when the extended maintenance took days did they compensate you.

Curious about that myself because I've played a lot of MMOs and don't remember ever being compensated for extended maintenance.

Do they have to borrow everything from WoW, including downtime for Tuesday maintenance? FFS at least put ur maintenance on a different day. How's Thursday sound?

Curious about that myself because I've played a lot of MMOs and don't remember ever being compensated for extended maintenance.

EVE often did, but that is because whenever they rolled out a patch they seem to break something and the severs would be down almost all day

Desaan

Maintenance fail, for a 30mb patch? Good grief!

chZeM.jpg

pahamrick

EVE often did, but that is because whenever they rolled out a patch they seem to break something and the severs would be down almost all day

Same with WoW, but that was only for .. the first 6 months I believe. I dreaded Tuesdays when I was heavy into Vanilla WoW for that reason.

Sappy113

EA's just looking out for you EU players. They want you to be spending time with your family instead of in game.

I kid...

:D.

Eh, back when I was a WoW addict, extra downtime like this would've made me a bit of a raging lunatic. These days, it's a slight bother, but not much more than that. Getting older, having a kid and a family probably builds a little bit of perspective, I guess.

Pakman

I've played a lot of MMO's and i remember one of them did... Just don't remember which one. It was probably WoW if Pahamrick is right. And I think that only happened once and it was credit for 2 days... Or something.

People who have no clue what it takes to develop games or write code making smart ass comments about the lack of certain features or the timing for a fix makes me want to cut myself.

That really has nothing to do with what is expected of a triple A game, specifically one where it's already taken such liberties from WoW. Asking for AA to be standard isn't making a smart ass comment.

knitoe

I remember WoW having pretty bad downtimes when it first launched, so bad in fact they were crediting days to people's accounts to make up for the extreme and frequent maintenance downtime.

WOW had longer downtime, but not remotely as often. Shouldn't be almost every 3 days.

pahamrick

I've played a lot of MMO's and i remember one of them did... Just don't remember which one. It was probably WoW if Pahamrick is right. And I think that only happened once and it was credit for 2 days... Or something.

Took a quick look at my payment history for wow, and I have 15 one day credits and 1 three day credit.

So definitely more than once.

Won

I have a lot of free days on my WoW transaction history, but I honestly can't remember what went wrong on all of them. Too many of them.

They shouldn't do maintenance during the afternoon anyway. Silly Bioware.

That really has nothing to do with what is expected of a triple A game, specifically one where it's already taken such liberties from WoW. Asking for AA to be standard isn't making a smart ass comment.

The smart ass comment thing is in relation to complaining about them adding some names to the credit list instead of AA. Everyone wants AA in standard without having to force it, but it has nothing to do with making an edit to some text in credits.

cametall

Do they have to borrow everything from WoW, including downtime for Tuesday maintenance? FFS at least put ur maintenance on a different day. How's Thursday sound?

I'd prefer Mondays, because I hate Mondays, and everything I hate should occur on Mondays. Get it over with early.

So im paying to play a game that dont have any servers online and the website wont load because they cant handle the ammount of people trying to view it... Great, now this is why i havent played an MMO in a long time. Hope it gets better over time or this game will die.

A week ago you would have been called entitled for saying this.

Anyway, I feel a real schism with this game. There are sections that are INCREDIBLY polished, and then there are just stupid ass glitches, bugs and overall bullshit that makes me feel like this game should have been released next summer, and they pushed it out the door with the idea that they'd simply fix it as they went. It's jarring.

Top Bottom