• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

So, after spending 20 levels on my BH (sorry rep gaf), either Corso is a terrible companion or Mako just steals the show. She shats all over corso. She's interesting, says mildly amusing remarks, and is just awesome overall.

Won

Corso is indeed terrible. Guss on the other end is awesome. Too bad he appears so late in the Smuggler story. :(

usea

Anybody else getting a full second of hanging when you open your map now? Also seems to happen sometimes when a mission objective updates (killing a creature for a mission etc). It's getting so bad; very frustrated.

Do they even have QA? Or a PTR maybe?

Alderaan is such crap. I completely lost track of why I'm even there and I don't even know the name of who I'm working for. I hate politics in videogames. I hope there's a dark side option to kill all of these nobles at some point.

usea

Alderaan is such crap. I completely lost track of why I'm even there and I don't even know the name of who I'm working for. I hate politics in videogames. I hope there's a dark side option to kill all of these nobles at some point.
Dark side option = mash spacebar. It's working out great for me. Not knowing what I'm doing or who I'm doing it for is a positive thing. Wish it was as streamlined as Rift :(

Picked up a copy of, outside of an hour or two spent with a free three day trial of WoW, what is my very first MMO. Immafeared. I've got some friends from work getting into the game so I'm going to join their server and try to create a class that compliments their current line-up.

Hawk269

I know this has been brought up, but has anyone heard if they plan to do anything else with the planets they already have? For example, Korriban is small in the area that you actually play in, but it is an actual planet. As they expand the game are they going to open more areas of each planet to explore?

I think one thing that I am at odds with is that I am on a planet, yet I really cant explore all that much. I know some other planets like Tat are alot bigger in the area you are allowed to explore, but I am thinking that there are alot they can do with other parts of planets, like perhaps when you load into anoher part of a planet that the time of day would be different etc.

Loving the game, still getting use to it and now that the holidays are over (I work retail) I can actually dive into this game in earnest.

So doing slicing since I got home in a few hours with just 2 companions going at it still have made several thousand in profit while I was doing other things. It's not as crazy good as it was before, but still seems to bring in the credits. Not having these odd strings of bad luck people have been posting of doing nothing but losing money. Have a few come back with a couple hundred in loss, but overall I'm still making money. *shrug* Seems decent right now, and not counting all the credits I got from looting safes I found during my questing

I know this has been brought up, but has anyone heard if they plan to do anything else with the planets they already have? For example, Korriban is small in the area that you actually play in, but it is an actual planet. As they expand the game are they going to open more areas of each planet to explore?

I think one thing that I am at odds with is that I am on a planet, yet I really cant explore all that much. I know some other planets like Tat are alot bigger in the area you are allowed to explore, but I am thinking that there are alot they can do with other parts of planets, like perhaps when you load into anoher part of a planet that the time of day would be different etc.

Loving the game, still getting use to it and now that the holidays are over (I work retail) I can actually dive into this game in earnest.

For some reason I remember talk about BW planning to have 500 planets by 2025. That's all i got.

Juice

Picked up a copy of, outside of an hour or two spent with a free three day trial of WoW, what is my very first MMO. Immafeared. I've got some friends from work getting into the game so I'm going to join their server and try to create a class that compliments their current line-up.

Good luck & enjoy. Can't wait for my PC parts to get here so I can put together a machine that can play!

Juice

I feel like they're looking over their shoulders at what SWG got wrong. In SWG, they brought in player-owned housing and so forth very early (some of it at launch, even), so most of the planets were inordinately huge with tons of dull copy-pasted land. It was fun very briefly, but without much to do after setting up a little abode, it was dull as rocks and mostly a wasteland.

TOR, on the other hand, is meant to be a more curated and focused experienced like the KOTOR games. So I have a feeling that the expansions will probably open the door to wildly interesting facets, but I'm worried that exploration-for-exploration's sake won't be one of them, since it'd just cost too much to produce good artwork without function.

I'm sure they could if they want to. The planets are pretty big though and often doing your quests you will not actually see all of them unless you actively are trying to do every quest you can find in a planet as well as doing all the heroics and bonus series. The starter planets are the small ones but they do grow greatly afterwards. Sure they have room to do whatever they want to add more to each if they felt like it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After about 30 hours, I think I'm getting a bit bored of this. Balmorra really burned me out, and now Nar Shaddaa is just a bunch of industrial corridors. I think my main problem is the boring-ass quest design. The Bioware conversations were enough to make them feel entertaining enough at first, but the even the conversations are starting to feel quite samey and pointless.

I do enjoy the group combat in this game, though. It's fun playing a healer. It's just that there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to group in the game.

Maybe I just need to take a break for a while.

Thoraxes

So, after spending 20 levels on my BH (sorry rep gaf), either Corso is a terrible companion or Mako just steals the show. She shats all over corso. She's interesting, says mildly amusing remarks, and is just awesome overall.

Mako is mai waifu.

I hated playing BH in beta, but i'm gonna force myself to just because of her.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Will a core 2 Duo @ 3ghz with a 4850 run this well? I have 8GB ram so that shouldnt be a problem, i just havent played anything major on this rig in quite a while.

FStop7

Banned
Just a heads up, it looks like something may be broken with the Cademimu flashpoint.

First, we had members of our party fall through the giant elevator toward the end of the dungeon randomly, forcing everyone to wait for them to catch up again. I saw this happen 3 times.

Second, and more importantly, the final boss fight appears to be broken. The first time we went into the room the party insta-wiped the second we set foot inside. The second time we went in our healer insta died, but the rest of us lasted a a couple of minutes. When I say insta, I mean insta. Literally the second the fight begins, the player bursts into flames and drops dead.

I do enjoy the group combat in this game, though. It's fun playing a healer. It's just that there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to group in the game.

I don't know what server you're on but on my server people are constantly looking for healers to do the heroics and flashpoints.

hgplayer1

Will a core 2 Duo @ 3ghz with a 4850 run this well? I have 8GB ram so that shouldnt be a problem, i just havent played anything major on this rig in quite a while.

I'm playing on a Core2 Duo E8400 3ghz with 4GB RAM and a HD5700 and I run the game very well.

Calidor

is my damage/defense any good? I'm a level 18 Gunslinger and I just finished Taris:

Kp34H.png

I feel like I don't know what should I buy next, so far I'd bought my armor from the galactic marketplace and both my weapons from the corusant commendation shop.

Advice will be appreciated

Ketch

is my damage/defense any good? I'm a level 18 Gunslinger and I just finished Taris:

Kp34H.png

I feel like I don't know what should I buy next, so far I'd bought my armor from the galactic marketplace and both my weapons from the corusant commendation shop.

Advice will be appreciated

Protip #1 - Stop buying stuff!
If you want to use your commendations by all means, that's what they're there for. But DO NOT waste your credits on lvl 18 gear... so silly, until you get to max level you always find better equipment for free, everytime, no matter what.... that's kind of the point of leveling. Just save your credits for training, speeders and crafting.

Just rolled a new Republic Trooper on Keller's. I'll start messaging the folks in the OP to join the guild. But if anyone in the guild who's logged in see this, please send me an invite: Brooke

I let my wife design my trooper, she looks pretty good.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
hey gaf,

So I've just picked this up, and I've narrowed my choices down between either the Imperial Agent or the Sith Sorcerer, but I'm torn between the two. Really the only hang up I've got is that I want to play him primarily as a healer. I know that Bioware has said that any class can potentially heal, but I want to pick as close to a "pure healer" as I can. Any thoughts on what I should play?

antonz

hey gaf,

So I've just picked this up, and I've narrowed my choices down between either the Imperial Agent or the Sith Sorcerer, but I'm torn between the two. Really the only hang up I've got is that I want to play him primarily as a healer. I know that Bioware has said that any class can potentially heal, but I want to pick as close to a "pure healer" as I can. Any thoughts on what I should play?

Operative tends to be a superb single target healer and has AOE heal.

Sorceror is a good single target healer and also has AOE heal.

Really just depends do you wanna be a gun based class or lightning. Sorcerors AOE heal does heal more people though as the Operative one is limited to 4 people

Moaradin

hey gaf,

They both heal well. Sorcerer healing is more traditional in a sense that you use magical powers to do the healing and not probes like Imperial Agent.

The Agent has the best story though.

usea

hey gaf,

I've been healing as a Scoundrel (the republic version of the Imperial Agent's healing advanced class, Operative). My fiance and my good friend have been playing Sage (the equivalent to the healing Sorcerer).

Sorcerer is certainly the more traditional healer. You get a normalish mana pool of 500-600 which regens at a moderate pace, you get some standard heals, a shield etc. Somebody else can talk more about it.

Operative is very interesting imo. You can't spam heals, and it's tough to catch up if you get behind. You have a pool of only 100 energy, and your heals cost 15-25 energy. Your energy regens much more quickly when it stays above 60, so you have to dole out regular, moderated healing rather than going full blast. Playing catch up can be hard if you get behind. It's all about staying efficient and on top of things. It's very different from past healers I've played.

After playing a Juggernaut, I'm absolutely in awe of how much fun I'm having with my Operative. pvp, group pve, solo, story, everything is just an absolute blast. I wish this was the first character I'd rolled.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
Okay, thanks for the responses, it seems like I'll go ahead and try out the Agent first. I'm not that concerned about how the classes heal as much as I'm concerned that I can be a viable healer when it comes to groups. I don't want to end up playing a class that doesn't have a truly viable healer spec.

usea

Okay, thanks for the responses, it seems like I'll go ahead and try out the Agent first. I'm not that concerned about how the classes heal as much as I'm concerned that I can be a viable healer when it comes to groups. I don't want to end up playing a class that doesn't have a truly viable healer spec.

All 3 healers are totally viable.

So is there anyway, I can lower the view distance in this game? I'm playing on a really crappy laptop, and I'm just chugging along. If I can just lower the view distance a bit, like a in wow, My fps will go up.

FStop7

Banned
Huttball is kind of fun. I feel bad for my teammates though because I'm still totally trying to figure out the strategies beyond "get the ball to the other end". It would be nice if there were some sort of practice league.

Oh, and I'm starting to have more fun with the space missions. I think they're kind of a nice diversion, I've been playing through some of them while listening to Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberations.

CzarTim

I met an Imp in the desert and we danced together for five minutes. Whoever says PVE servers are lame is WRONG:

Also, obligatory gear shot:

Sent

Anyone got the mail bug where you can't send any mail with credits or items? It's damn annoying! I lost 17k because of it (I'm assuming I'll never get it back)

oneils

Anybody else getting a full second of hanging when you open your map now? Also seems to happen sometimes when a mission objective updates (killing a creature for a mission etc). It's getting so bad; very frustrated.

Do they even have QA? Or a PTR maybe?

I had this in a certain section of Taris. Nowhere else. Are you getting it everywhere?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I feel like I've played way more than I should have and I'm at 29... I'm just curious how many hours that took you.

/played as of right now is at 5 days 23 hours. That's including standing around afk running into walls to avoid queues while I went out.

Ramirez

Started a Bounty Hunter tonight, my aging PC runs the game on low at a decent framerate, but man the graphics are terrible. Can't wait to get my new rig in a couple months. :)

The game is a blast so far, I love the atmosphere of new MMOs.

God... I want this game.... But I don't wanna spend $60...

On a side note. Which class/gender/has the best VA? I remember playing a bit of the Jedi 'mage' class in Beta and found his voice intolerable.

Top Bottom