• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Trooper's second companion comes when you get your ship (end of Coruscant), so like 18-20. He's nearly useless in a fight, though.

The third companion, the second that is useful in a fight comes at the end of Taris (like 22-24ish).

When people say "2nd companion", the frequently mean "2nd non ship droid companion." Everyone gets the ship droid, but he's rarely used as anything but a craftbot.

So a 30 minute slicing mission is, on average, about as useful as killing a pack of 4 random mobs and selling the junk they drop?

I might try getting Mako maxed and then sending her out on Rich Class 5 lockboxes to see how often I can get a Blue + Schematic/Mission.

Patryn

When people say "2nd companion", the frequently mean "2nd non ship droid companion." Everyone gets the ship droid, but he's rarely used as anything but a craftbot.

I figured that was the case, but I didn't want to assume. You know what they say, and all that.

erragal

At least they've learned their lesson early: Don't push changes that haven't been on the PTR. They're inevitably going to bump it back up (Unless they are planning a complete revamp) but now they get to deal with this fun mess.

I suppose no one's talking about early access anymore ;)

Milly79

I'll probably still roll with slicing and get it maxed out. I'm currently around 300~ and who knows? They may buff it a bit so it isn't total crap.

Patryn

If you dump a skill, if you decide to pick it back up later do you start over at level 1 or the level you were at before you dumped it?

I'm sticking with Slicing for now just because Biochem doesn't benefit a ton from Diplomacy. Picking up the boxes on planets is(was?) a pretty decent bonus. I'll swap things around later depending on what the economy looks like after I've maxed Bio/Bio.

I've really been enjoying the game so far. I've been rolling with a Sith warrior as my "main" and I just reached the 3rd planet (Balmora?)

Ive also been wanting to check out the Republic Trooper, so I rolled a female alt and I'm loving Jennifer Hale's acting skills. Damn, great story and an excellent change of pace from the Sith warrior story. I was totally sucked in and played from level 1 through 8 last night.

I think I'll re-roll my Trooper on Keller's Void and join the GAF Republic clan.

Klorox33

Neo Member
While I am truly having a great time in game... I am experiencing quite a few bugs.

The biggest bug is in battlegrounds. The unit frames for players on my team completely shit the bed and do not update properly. I go from being superman and keeping my team up to running around trying to click on players watching them die... I have to reload the UI ctrl + u in hopes that it will correct the problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it only partially fixes the issue.

Last night the lower half of the huttball zone was dropping out as I looked down. I will look into some driver updates for my card that can hopefully fix this issue.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Does anyone know how to get a purple lightsaber crystal at the end of the jedi knight quest line? I could of sworn I saw a video of it but I can't find it anywhere.

TheExodu5

Banned
Having gotten all greens and one blue in the past 1.5 hours, I've made 3.5k off slicing (maxed out slicing 400/400, with 2 crewmembers).

Dash27

Phase III is to wait til the DUMP SLICING! knee jerk is completed by players and then re-adjust it back to a good (but not quite as good) crew skill. This is the best way to maximize MMO stress.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I'm still debating on whether to drop Slicing and replace it with Underworld trading. It would be nice to be able get all my own materials for Cybertech, but it's also nice scavenging extra credits from the game world. I also noticed it costs more to buy the needed materials for crafting (since I don't have Underworld Trading) than to just buy the mods them selves. Those prices might drop now though.

oktarb

The Good
+ The class story lines are simply fantastic. The voice acting really does a terrific job of drawing you into every quest. I easily forget that every other character is getting the same story line. I get sucked in and have a blast, maybe crack a joke about it in chat. There's an almost bonding experience.
+ It feels like Star Wars, which could have been easy to mess up. Its a nice change from the typical fantasy setting.
+ I love my ship. You can try and take it from my cold dead fingers.
+ I love my companions and the fact I can modify my play style by choosing who fights besides me.
+ The party system chat rolling is a fun way to make the Hero missions fun. I hope they continue to expand on this idea.
+ Space combaat is arcady but fun. A nice diversion from the rest of the game. They'll expand on t I'm sure but for now I enjoy a little pewpewomgspacekittens.

The Bad
- I would have liked some more unique races to play. I'm NOT saying I wanted to play a Wookie or Jawa, but maybe something like a transdosian or hammerhead.
- Sometimes in the class missions they try to hard to recreate the movies. Really? I'm in a Hutt Rancor pit?
- The abilities could use some more uniqueness to them. For example the Inquisitor has a ton of lightning abilities and they all kind of bleed together visually.
- I'm not sold on having to pay for my companions to go on gathering missions. It just feels like a huge money sink and has little to do with my efforts. Sure I can quest to get creds but I'd like to but other things as well. I'm forced to choose between sending someone on a mission or repairing my armor. So I repair my armor, now I'm broke and my companions are useless until I get more creds. Have a free choice with reduced success levels or something.
- To get Rest Exp you have to go to special areas like a cantina. Star Wars - Stop Trying To Make Cantinas Special! Either make them fun or stop forcing them down my throat.

The Ugly
! No Dual speccing. Maybe they'll add it maybe they won't. For now its a sorely missed function.
! If you try and stay neutral there is zero reward. A bounty hunter for example will often come out with equal Light and Dark side points if you follow a honorable Bounty Hunter Code. Yet you only get bonuses for going heavily to one side. Hopefully this will be added later.

O just a heads up for anyone on a star wars kick right now. Lots of SW games on steam are 75% off. KOTOR 1, republic commando, battlefront 2 for $2.5, jedi knight collection, Empire @ War gold pack for $5

jersoc

I had time to do 2 missions for slicing. Both together netted me about 1.5k in profits.

are you guys picking abundant and rich?

Ricker

The balance difficulty wise in this game is weird...most of the time it's easy but then you get an orange guy,amongst all the other easiest and it just kicks your ass...like the first 2 player flashpoint on the Empire side...me,( a sith Inquisitor )and a Sith Warrior, where breezing along but the Boss just destroyed us,along with our 2 companions...oh well,maybe we don't understand or play our class well yet,we will gain a few levels and try it again later(we are level 10 and the quest is level 10,not heroic or anything and we couldn't do it)...I find my Sith Inquisitor extremely weak defense wise so far and the little healing I have is kinda useless so far as well.

I'm still debating on whether to drop Slicing and replace it with Underworld trading. It would be nice to be able get all my own materials for Cybertech, but it's also nice scavenging extra credits from the game world. I also noticed it costs more to buy the needed materials for crafting (since I don't have Underworld Trading) than to just buy the mods them selves. Those prices might drop now though.

I just dropped slicing for UT. I can always change back if the credit flow from slicing is worth it once players have played with it for a while.

erragal

The balance difficulty wise in this game is weird...most of the time it's easy but then you get an orange guy,amongst all the other easiest and it just kicks your ass...like the first 2 player flashpoint on the Empire side...me,( a sith Inquisitor )and a Sith Warrior, where breezing along but the Boss just destroyed us,along with our 2 companions...oh well,maybe we don't understand or play our class well yet,we will gain a few levels and try it again later(we are level 10 and the quest is level 10,not heroic or anything and we couldn't do it)...I find my Sith Inquisitor extremely weak defense wise so far and the little healing I have is kinda useless so far as well.

It's really just about learning what everything you do does and understanding what your capabilities are. People underestimate the complexity of hotkey MMO games because WoW is so prevalent, but there's an incredible amount of information to internalize before you'd be considered proficient in the game.

Important things for tackling more challenging enemies:

1. Stay out of the fire/aoe/poison/bad things the enemy does.

2. One decent thing TOR does is put the 'activation bar' for enemy abilities right above their portrait when you're targeting them. This portrait is to the right of your main ability quickslot bar. The activation bar will tell you the enemy is about to use a more powerful ability; if you have a stun, knockback, or interrupt you may want to use it then (On more powerful enemies you may have to figure out which of their abilities are worth interrupting).

3. Not wasting time. This isn't meant to be critical but if you're a new player to a game like this you're probably wasting time. Once your hotkeys become more routine (muscle memory helps a lot) and you understand why you're doing what you're doing then you'll activate your abilities instinctively based on the situation.

In addition to this just making sure you're using the best possible gear will help. I'd give you more specific tips but I can't recall that particular enemy giving my friend and I (Inquisitor/Warrior respectively) any real trouble. Did you both pick up your advanced classes in the imperial fleet before trying the dungeon? That would give you a couple new abilities that might make a big difference.

Good luck and keep at it, undermanning content is one of the most fun things you can do. Right now my friend and I have 2 manned every heroic 4 (With a companion most of the time) and it's fun figuring out how we can pull it off.

Trouble

Banned
So are the official forums overwhelmed because of slice rage, or general post-patch bitching?

Edit: Got it to load. Wow at the unmitigated rage, it sustains me. >:D I love how people are calling for everything else to be nerfed now, lol.

Trickster

Been questing on hoth, and seem to be done with the planet now, being guided towards belsavis next, thing is Im only lvl 40, and belsavis' level range is 41 to 44, am I missing a bunch of quests somewhere? My level and previous planets level range have been perfectly in sync.

Baby Names are a way of saying thank you to the hundreds of people that worked on this game and has long been a PC gaming tradition.

And it takes a lot lot less time than implementing a system like dual spec.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Been questing on hoth, and seem to be done with the planet now, being guided towards belsavis next, thing is Im only lvl 40, and belsavis' level range is 41 to 44, am I missing a bunch of quests somewhere? My level and previous planets level range have been perfectly in sync.

Same thing happened to me. I don't know if I missed some sort of hub there, but it's pretty awkward. I ended up going to Belsavis early but now I just finished all the quests (that I can find) on Corellia and I've still got some leveling to do.

I am running the game in windowed fullscreen right now on a dual monitor setup. When I switch to the second screen the game's sound goes away. I know some games have a toggle that will play the game sound when the window is not the focus, but I havent found it in the in game settings yet.

Does anyone know of an .ini fix for this?

Finish Act 2 Class story completely

Go back to Fleet and a NPC will give you Alderann bonus series. Or otherwise, just go to Alderann and go to the castle and turn left into the 2nd room.

I am running the game in windowed fullscreen right now on a dual monitor setup. When I switch to the second screen the game's sound goes away. I know some games have a toggle that will play the game sound when the window is not the focus, but I havent found it in the in game settings yet.

Does anyone know of an .ini fix for this?

There is no known workaround for it at the moment.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Same thing happened to me. I don't know if I missed some sort of hub there, but it's pretty awkward. I ended up going to Belsavis early but now I just finished all the quests (that I can find) on Corellia and I've still got some leveling to do.

Go to the fleet after hoth and you can grab the Alderaan Bouns Series 40ish lvl quest and a cool title

They nerfed Slicing?

amKtj.jpg

Top Bottom