• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Wallach

It looks fun, but that player in that video doesn't know the fuck he's doing.

I've seen a lot worse. Most people I run into in Huttball kill enemy players that are on our side of the field right after we gain possession, or huddle around the ball carrier like fucking idiots.

Door2Dawn

Banned
So I'm tired of clicking, and I want to try out key binding since people say it's superior. Is there anywhere I can go to get a crash course on it?

Is this game just never going to work with add-ons?

So we'll never have proper damage meters, threat meters, boss mods, or anything like that?

Oh brother. I'm all for add-ons that help manage threat, healing, even DPS meters despite the e-peen waving that inevitably ensues, but boss mods? Why remove so much of the challenge from boss fights? It's one of those WoW things I always rolled my eyes at, and probably why I gravitated towards PvP so readily.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's very helpful and makes going through mobs quick. Combine it with sending a companion to sell your grey items ability and it's just quick credits

This has never worked for me. I assumed it was bugged.

Thoraxes

Yeah. PvP I'll run with my own music but until I finish my class questing, I'm sticking with the in game music. Love me some Williams music :D

Actually only a couple tunes are from Williams. The composers for the game are Mark Griskey, Gordy Haab, Jesse Harlin, Lennie Moore, and Wilbert Roget, II.

Unless you just mean the aesthetic, in which yes, they do do it very well.

Is anyone using the WoW cata mouse in ToR? I'm having a hard time setting it up as the macro's aren't working in ToR. I am running the cata software in admin mode.

A fault of the game or are ppl just idiots?

Probably both, the game needs to do a better job of letting ppl know they got the ability. When you first join huttball the game auto puts the pass ball ability on your hotbar, but lot of players are not going to know that.

J-Rzez

Republic is incredibly strong in PVP on my server as well, and reading other forums it seems they're just as strong on other servers. Unless I'm rolling in them with my guildmates, whenever I see something other than Huttball I can just usually assume it's going to be a loss.

Hopefully the same thing will happen here as with other MMOs and those Republic players will get bored eventually and start to trickle to the Empire side, and the bad Empire players will trickle over to the Republic to even things out more.

As far as mods go, i'm for and against them. I think you should be able to mod the UI (as it sucks) but let that be around the extent of it. I'd want meters that measure your own stats, and that's it as well. I'd like to see how my rotations and gear are making a difference for the better or worse. I think BioWare should put said meter into the game and not allow anyone to mod that feature in any form, just so people don't cry to the heavens that they're going to be kicked from groups because they're lazy or in the some legitimate cases where they're just not as good or geared and get kicked.

cametall

Republic is incredibly strong in PVP on my server as well, and reading other forums it seems they're just as strong on other servers. Unless I'm rolling in them with my guildmates, whenever I see something other than Huttball I can just usually assume it's going to be a loss.

Hopefully the same thing will happen here as with other MMOs and those Republic players will get bored eventually and start to trickle to the Empire side, and the bad Empire players will trickle over to the Republic to even things out more.

I started off playing Republic on Kinrath Spider (unofficial Brazilian server)... PVP was painful, Republic was so bad. In the Alderaan WZ maybe two or three of us would be capturing points, the rest ran into the slaughter house the Empire established at the center point.

... and that's if we got more than 4 players into the WZ before it auto-closed, because Republic was so underpopulated in PVP. I think players knew to avoid PVP on the Republic side.

Has anyone done a Smuggler/Scoundrel with a focus on healing? I'm debating on going down that path but I'm curious as to how good of a healer they are.

Trouble

Banned
how does pvp queing work? is it always voidstar first? it's always the first one when I queue up lol.... just luck?

republic owns in bg on kellers... a tie has been my worst outcome

Wait until you get in a warzone where the other team is mostly the imp Goon Squad (That's no Goon). Every time I've been in PvP against them they have destroyed us. Organization really does help a lot in PvP.

Wallach

Has anyone done a Smuggler/Scoundrel with a focus on healing? I'm debating on going down that path but I'm curious as to how good of a healer they are.

I do. I'm 43 now, and I definitely would not trade it for either of the other two healers. Especially so regarding PvP.

On a completely unrelated note, Taral V and Maelstrom Prison were pretty fucking cool. It seems clear that the faction-specific Flashpoints just stomp the shit out of the shared ones.

Darklord

Banned
Both.

It's not helpful that it doesn't pop up contextually when you have it. Hell, I didn't even know it was in my skills log till I found it one day.

It's just stupid making it a skill like that. It should be right click on an area, pass the ball there.

Thoraxes

It's just stupid making it a skill like that. It should be right click on an area, pass the ball there.

I was hoping for either that, or something that pops up on the side of my bars, kinda like the Vehicle Bars system in WoW or something, but just with the "PASS THIS THING STUPID" button being there and large. I think it would up the amount of people actually throwing the ball by like 8000000%.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm guessing they overprinted on the amount of Collector's Editions. It's in stock like everywhere.

Should we expect a drop in price on them? I still haven't opened mine due to not having time to play the game during this holiday season.

Wallach

Making ball passing tied to the same key people primarily turn with is asking for sadness.

I would prefer a contextual UI button above the hotbar (like the Holocall button), as long as they continued to allow a dedicated hotkey for it.

Won

Seeing how the ball cripples your movement capabilities anyway I would just replace jump with the pass function.

So I'm tired of clicking, and I want to try out key binding since people say it's superior. Is there anywhere I can go to get a crash course on it?

I can't point you to a website or anything, but the idea is just to map stuff to mouse button combinations or keys on the kb that are easy to hit and you don't have to look at. You want to set them up so you can do any move you can while running without having to stop and maybe set up skills you have to stand still to cast to keys that you can hit while not pressing WASD. This obviously works best if you have a gaming mouse with a bunch of buttons. I have a Logitech Mx518 and it has 6 buttons (besides left and right click), so I have everything on the bottom center bars set to combinations of Shift + mouse button and Alt + mouse button.

On another note, I've been running flashpoints I missed solo today. I soloed Athiss and Mandalorian Raiders at 34. This is great for picking up some cool orange gear with no rolling competition. I got new cooler looking gun, chest, pants, and helm. Nothing in those flashpoints can do much damage to you when you're 10 levels above them. I just dodged and resisted pretty much everything. Also, I think when you solo stuff you have a much higher chance to get you class' loot. Pretty much everything that dropped was BH gear.

los

I can't point you to a website or anything, but the idea is just to map stuff to mouse button combinations or keys on the kb that are easy to hit and you don't have to look at. You want to set them up so you can do any move you can while running without having to stop and maybe set up skills you have to stand still to cast to keys that you can hit while not pressing WASD. This obviously works best if you have a gaming mouse with a bunch of buttons. I have a Logitech Mx518 and it has 6 buttons (besides left and right click), so I have everything on the bottom center bars set to combinations of Shift + mouse button and Alt + mouse button.

On another note, I've been running flashpoints I missed solo today. I soloed Athiss and Mandalorian Raiders at 34. This is great for picking up some cool orange gear with no rolling competition. I got new cooler looking gun, chest, pants, and helm. Nothing in those flashpoints can do much damage to you when you're 10 levels above them. I just dodged and resisted pretty much everything. Also, I think when you solo stuff you have a much higher chance to get you class' loot. Pretty much everything that dropped was BH gear.

Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to have to try this... I haven't done any FPs since BT. I tried to do Athiss a few levels ago (31 now) but the instance was bugged and kept telling us to reset.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The few times I haven't got stuck in Huttball, our Imp side completely destroyed the Republic side on Daragon Trail.

A little while ago I saw a lone Jedi Sage wandering around Tatooine where a couple of us Imps were doing some quests. I think he was 2 levels higher than me, managed to take him out before continuing my quests, lol.

Jedi Guardian question (Single Saber Mastery)

I see that you get a melee bonus when you are in Shien and Shii-Cho form.

I have Shii-Cho form by default. Do I have to unlock Shien form in order to get the melee bonus, or am I good with only using the default Shii-Cho form?

I see that givving 3/3 talent point doesn't open up Shien Form on the talent tree. When can I access Shien Form, is my second question.

eznark

Banned
Installed, downloading the path now. Woo hoo.

Kind of thinking Bounty Hunter because I want a Jawa companion. As always, I'm kind of paralyzed with choosing a character.

Trouble

Banned
So I called in earlier and they removed my security key on my account so that I could add it on my new phone. It won't let me (code doesn't verify). I called back and the lady I just talked to said I can't ever add a software key again and my only option is to buy the physical key if I want a security key.

What. the. fuck.

FStop7

Banned
Fuck yes.

hUhEx.png

usea

Jedi Guardian question (Single Saber Mastery)

I see that you get a melee bonus when you are in Shien and Shii-Cho form.

I have Shii-Cho form by default. Do I have to unlock Shien form in order to get the melee bonus, or am I good with only using the default Shii-Cho form?

I see that givving 3/3 talent point doesn't open up Shien Form on the talent tree. When can I access Shien Form, is my second question.
Shien Form is a 3rd tier talent in the Vigilance tree. You'd need to be at least level 20 to have enough skill points to unlock it, if you put them all in vigilance.

I assume you're speccing for dps and not tanking? As a tank I'm almost always in Soresu form.

darksunpr

Screenshot_2011-12-28_00_15_46_891576.jpg

I know this whole chain says it takes 2 people. But I been doing it solo the whole time. Is it possible to do the whole thing?

I did it solo at lvl 14 with a BH and that boss was the hardest because my stupid companion didn't move and died from the fire grenades the dude throws.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did as little of Tatooine as possible. What a god awful place, couldn't leave soon enough. Way too big with absolutely nothing going on, and the story for all the quests felt very irrelevant to anything bigger.

Alderaan has saved me though. Loving everything about it and it's washing the bad taste of sand out of my mouth.

Moaradin

Did as little of Tatooine as possible. What a god awful place, couldn't leave soon enough. Way too big with absolutely nothing going on, and the story for all the quests felt very irrelevant to anything bigger.

Alderaan has saved me though. Loving everything about it and it's washing the bad taste of sand out of my mouth.

Whaaaa? Tatooine was amazing. Both the planet and the story (Imperial Agent at least).

Azzurri

Tat bonus series quest was shitty I thought as an Imperial.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Whaaaa? Tatooine was amazing. Both the planet and the story (Imperial Agent at least).
Didn't really feel like it fed into anything. The Old Man confrontation was great and all but I didn't really feel like it had anything to do with the larger picture. Just felt like I was having way too much travel time on some backwater world I don't care about. The only reason I can think Tatooine is included in this game is to check some nostalgia box because of its importance to the movies.

Moaradin

Didn't really feel like it fed into anything. The Old Man confrontation was great and all but I didn't really feel like it had anything to do with the larger picture. Just felt like I was having way too much travel time on some backwater world I don't care about. The only reason I can think Tatooine is included in this game is to check some nostalgia box because of its importance to the movies.

Well, chapter 1 wasn't really about the whole overall plot yet. That doesn't happen until the end of chapter 1 and into chapter 2. Things will really start making sense then and you'll know why you did some things in chapter 1.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I'm liking Tatooine mainly because I'm actually running into the opposing faction out in the world. I didn't see any Republic players on Nar Shadaa in comparison.

J-Rzez

At this point, i just about stopped doing the "bonus" parts of quests. Sorry, I don't feel like killing 20 things, just to kill 60 more, then locate 5 things, and then kill a single elite. If i get them done along the way, then fine, but I'm not going out of my way anymore. Just so tedious.

Moaradin

Bonus quest aren't worth doing. Only thing you can get out of them of any value is the mod gear that's usually very nice. I'd rather just wait until level 50 then I can go back and blitz through the bonus series quest.

I did them all up to level 35 and now I'm pretty overleveled.

Alderaan is really boring, at least from the Imperial side. Tarkin did everyone a favor when he smashed this rock to smithereens. I almost fell asleep in my chair while questing there yesterday evening.

At this point, i just about stopped doing the "bonus" parts of quests. Sorry, I don't feel like killing 20 things, just to kill 60 more, then locate 5 things, and then kill a single elite. If i get them done along the way, then fine, but I'm not going out of my way anymore. Just so tedious.

If people do not do the bonus quests how are we going to maintain population control?

Azzurri

Alderaan is really boring, at least from the Imperial side. Tarkin did everyone a favor when he smashed this rock to smithereens. I almost fell asleep in my chair while questing there yesterday evening.

Didn't like Alderaan either; Nar Shaddaa so far is my favorite

Top Bottom