• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Guesong

Alderaan almost made me quit the game.

IMHO, having a mount should always be a bonus and never ever be requested for proper game progression...but Alderaan, gosh.

It takes so long just to get somewhere, arguably longer than doing said thing will take you sometimes. Really ridiculous ; if you don't have your speeder, no chance in hell you can progress.

Tatooine was the same in that regard, but at least Tatooine had an interesting class quest (for Bounty Hunter at least) and I liked the locale more. Alderaan was just dull, through and through.

Doing an Imperial Agent playthru right now, and I'm hoping to hell the Class Quest on Alderaan will grip me because I'm really dreading the moment I step back there.

EDIT : Just to clarify I did have a speeder, didn't make it any less awful.

Also, I want a spoiler for the Imperial Agent questline! Still in Act 1 at the moment, but I'm wondering...

There is no way Jadus dies like this, right? There is no way they'd dare kill this awesome guy in an off-screen terrorist attack? Surely it's all a ploy by him?

Won

I had to bail out on Alderaan. Skipped at least 2 camps with quests and rushed to the end of my class quest. Terrible.

Sigfodr

Wow. Last time I checked on this thread someone was complaining about Alderaan.

Anyway, I had some fun today and walked away with this:

Allard

I had to bail out on Alderaan. Skipped at least 2 camps with quests and rushed to the end of my class quest. Terrible.

This is why I have been doing warzones off and on during my play time. They make great supplement EXP and help bridge snooze gaps in the planets so you can just focus on what you want. For instance I got very far ahead on my EXP by the time I got to Tatooine, I just did the group quests, some smaller 'interesting' quests and my main quest and got the hell out of there. I am just about to get Alderaan on my smuggler and I am lvl 34. I do the same supplement with warzones I should be at the next location just doing my main class stuff as a lvl 37 or so.

The other great thing about warzones is it allows you use all the companions you can use while you are busy. Don't need to keep that one companion around you at all times, you can send him/her a on mission for crafting or gathering or (in my regard) underworld trading. I have gotten blues and purples on all my cybertech mods in the lvl 20 and under range now. Its going to be awesome when I want to outfit alts. In fact the main thing I want to pursue now isn't even class questing, I want to go back some worlds and try to find rare schematics through commendation lockboxes and see if I get lucky.

Does anyone else have a problem seeing Light/Dark responses? I can see it on my IA, but they are absent on my Inquisitor, makes me pick filthy Light Side answers!

Any way to fix that?

Woorloog

Banned
What you might be seeing is a character's legacy surname. You unlock that after one of your characters finish Act I.

You can't create custom titles.

Legacy name can be used as "legacy title" right? How does it appear?

Name
Guild
Legacy title

or

Legacy title Name /Name Legacy title?

Woorloog

Banned
Well I use very different bindings for my Jedi than for my smuggler. Certain options should be universal though.

IMO Keybindings should be universal, with an option to make changes for invidual characters.
Same with other settings for that matter... (ie "Sith Corruption", "Cover bar" are something that wouldn't be universal, "show alignment gain" should be universal)

Legacy name can be used as "legacy title" right? How does it appear?

Name
Guild
Legacy title

or

Legacy title Name /Name Legacy title?
Well I guess it could be considered a sort of "custom title." You can display a Legacy name two ways.

I believe it's the way you put it in the first example or:
Title, Name
The "insertlegacynamehere" Legacy
Guild

Agent Verigan
The Baine Legacy
The GAF Empire

Second example is:

Title Characternamehere Legacysurname

Agent Verigan Baine

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So for some reason i cannot disable sith corruption showing. I select the option and hit apply and ok but then if I log out it changes back. Also, when I change it my portrait stays the same (with Sith Corruption). I made an actual sith and i dont like how the corruption makes my guy look sickly.... Anyone had this happen?

calder

Oh ffs, so annoying trying to save for my speeder. I got up to about 35K, could see the light at the end of the tunnel, then I dinged 26 and had to drop over 15k on training... for two freaking skills! I think one (technically the level 25 twirling baton o' death saber strike) was fucking 12k alone. Thanks for nerfing slicing Bioware, heaven forbid I make any money at it, much better to make me succeed at like 60% of the 30 minute long crew missions and then get rewarded with augments that don't sell to anyone. :p I'd do something other than slicing but 2 of my 3 companions as a Consular are good *only* for slicing.

So now I'm trying to sell shit on the still moribund AH but it's taking forever. So I'm stuck running running running around Tatooine like a chump and questing is grinding to a halt because I have to hoof it 10 minutes to get anywhere. Just getting from the cantina to the spaceport in Anchorhead is a surprisingly long hike, what a joke.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh ffs, so annoying trying to save for my speeder. I got up to about 35K, could see the light at the end of the tunnel, then I dinged 26 and had to drop over 15k on training... for two freaking skills! I think one (technically the level 25 twirling baton o' death saber strike) was fucking 12k alone. Thanks for nerfing slicing Bioware, heaven forbid I make any money at it, much better to make me succeed at like 60% of the 30 minute long crew missions and then get rewarded with augments that don't sell to anyone. :p I'd do something other than slicing but 2 of my 3 companions as a Consular are good *only* for slicing.

So now I'm trying to sell shit on the still moribund AH but it's taking forever. So I'm stuck running running running around Tatooine like a chump and questing is grinding to a halt because I have to hoof it 10 minutes to get anywhere. Just getting from the cantina to the spaceport in Anchorhead is a surprisingly long hike, what a joke.

You could of not bought the skills?

calder

Wow, Bounty Hunters get the best partner ever :(

So they are the anti-Consulars then. :(

I'm not sure about any of the other classes, but even not playing the rest I'd bet cash that the Consular's have the worst companions, and it takes so long to get them too. I only got my second one at the end of Nar Shadaa, and while slightly less useless than the lizard dude he's still no great shakes. And it's great how his crew skills are basically the same recently nerfed skill as your ship droid. :p

shigsy

Just installed, wondering how active the EU Gaf guilds are at the moment? From the OP I see the Republic side seems to have more members? :)

Did as little of Tatooine as possible. What a god awful place, couldn't leave soon enough. Way too big with absolutely nothing going on, and the story for all the quests felt very irrelevant to anything bigger.

Alderaan has saved me though. Loving everything about it and it's washing the bad taste of sand out of my mouth.

I hated Alderaan. I thought it was the worst zone so far. I totally do not give a flying fuck about monarchs and nobles and all that crap and there was way too much running into a castle and killing 150 dudes to get where you had to go. And the whole zone ran at like 15 fps to boot.

Allard

So they are the anti-Consulars then. :(

I'm not sure about any of the other classes, but even not playing the rest I'd bet cash that the Consular's have the worst companions, and it takes so long to get them too. I only got my second one at the end of Nar Shadaa, and while slightly less useless than the lizard dude he's still no great shakes. And it's great how his crew skills are basically the same recently nerfed skill as your ship droid. :p

From what I have seen, Jedi Knight seems to have the best companions for the republic followed by Smuggler (My main) with Consular being the absolute worst. From what I could play in beta, I did like Nadia though for Consular and I think she is definitely on the higher end of the 'female' companion list goes for republic (However small it may be... seriously, why is it 3/4th of the empire characters get 2 female companions and you only get 1 in ALL of the republic ones ><) Its funny too, I like playing Consular far more thanks to all its utility options. Playing as a shadow tank as well as doing damage from behind a target using stealth as an opener is awesome. But the companions till Nadia just seem flat, it doesn't help that the story is pretty boring compared to the others. (Its a good but very boring story.)

On my smuggler I got me a wookie as my second companion :) (Too bad corso's tanking style fits with my combat better then him -.-; )

Woorloog

Banned
Just installed, wondering how active the EU Gaf guilds are at the moment? From the OP I see the Republic side seems to have more members? :)

Yeah... Dunno how NeoGAF Empire is faring. Whenever i'm playing, Tomb of Freedon Nadd has a queue so i don't bother with it.

BTW, Currently playing on "something" Tunnels, English RP server, Bounty Hunter, in case there are people who want to play.

Any good books for back story and world building?
There's three books tied in with the game which are Deceived, Fatal Alliance, and Revan. Whether they're actually good or not I do not know.

EDIT: Looks like there's two more as well - Blood of the Empire and Threat of Peace.

EDIt 2: Make that three - The Lost Suns. I didn't even know there were a total of six books. Hell, I'm probably missing a couple more too.

Yanksfan

I picked up Old Republic today, despite being a MMO noob. The game is doing its massive install now, but should be done soon. Can anyone be kind enough to suggest a starting point for me in terms of choosing a character and any tips of developing said character? Looking to do a light side character initially if that matters. I have no preference in terms of playstyle, I just want something that is easy to get into until I learn the ropes on my own.

I am not expecting a novel or serious time commitment here, just a few lines of helpful advice. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help or guide me to better resources.

Patryn

I picked up Old Republic today, despite being a MMO noob. The game is doing its massive install now, but should be done soon. Can anyone be kind enough to suggest a starting point for me in terms of choosing a character and any tips of developing said character? Looking to do a light side character initially if that matters. I have no preference in terms of playstyle, I just want something that is easy to get into until I learn the ropes on my own.

I am not expecting a novel or serious time commitment here, just a few lines of helpful advice. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help or guide me to better resources.

I think any of the classes should be easy to play as, but you may want to try out Trooper or Jedi Knight. For some reason I think those might be easier.

Pieces of advice: Read the tooltips and tutorial stuff. Look for people with a golden triangle above their head, and talk to them. They will give you quests. Don't waste money buying better equipment early on; You'll find or receive better stuff constantly.

Also, don't waste time trying to clear out areas; Enemies will respawn fairly quickly.

So even when I put in the AA thing in the ini, it doesn't work. It lets me save the file and everything. When I click on the file again, the AA line is gone.

WTF? Any suggestions?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i ordered a ssd drive recently. This game is like WoW where you can just move the installation file wherever right?

Anno

While I'm digging the IA story through the first planet, I'm more than a little disappointed with my companion. It's like being forced to use Jack in ME2. I hope that either she gets a little less lame or I get a better on soon =/

While I'm digging the IA story through the first planet, I'm more than a little disappointed with my companion. It's like being forced to use Jack in ME2. I hope that either she gets a little less lame or I get a better on soon =/

Get used to her, IA has the longest wait for a second companion on imperial side. :(

Sigfodr

Hey everybody! It's stupid question time! Today's stupid question is: What's the little meter around my character portrait in Warzones? I've tried searching for information on it, only to find gems like this:

pwCEvl.jpg

CzarTim

Hey everybody! It's stupid question time! Today's stupid question is: What's the little meter around my character portrait in Warzones? I've tried searching for information on it, only to find gems like this:

http://i.imgur.com/pwCEvl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=61363[/url]

Top Bottom