• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

I'm planning to grab this today after work, however I have a general realm / class question:

Which server is everyone on? Is it populated?

As for classes, I planned to go Sith Warrior > Marauder, is this a fun / good class to go with? I considered Juggernaught but I don't know how sure I am if I want to tank, I may still go that route.

I want to use lightsabers and I want to either DPS or Tank (maybe). Do marauders do mainly single target DPS? Any AoE? What's a good AoE class?

Has there been any mention of neutral aligned items?

Thus far I have managed to keep my IA neutral by making choices I think he would make, if loyal to the Empire but not a total evil dick. But I'm starting to worry I am making a mistake by not choosing to go full light/dark.

They said they are going to add neutral items in the future, but when is totally unknown.

Dash27

That was me. I really wasn't try a commando but I fear their mobility in PvP or lack of shall I say is a detriment.

Vanguard though looks hella fun but carrying around one lame gun and doing lackluster dps makes me sad. Their harpoon and leap skill though is amazing.

Demo round, HIB, grenades (cryo and sticky), explosive round and Hammer Shot works for kiting. Grav round and Full Auto to the face when you get a solid position. But you dont have any fancy force leaps or super speed if that's what you mean. Would be nice.

Patryn

I'm planning to grab this today after work, however I have a general realm / class question:

As for classes, I planned to go Sith Warrior > Marauder, is this a fun / good class to go with? I considered Juggernaught but I don't know how sure I am if I want to tank, I may still go that route.

I want to use lightsabers and I want to either DPS or Tank (maybe). Do marauders do mainly single target DPS? Any AoE? What's a good AoE class?

GAF is on Keller's Void. It's a fairly popular server (so expect queues at night, but they're not terrible), but everything in the game is instanced. So normally on a given planet you'll generally only have between 75-180 other players.

Demo round, HIB, grenades (cryo and sticky), explosive round and Hammer Shot works for kiting. Grav round and Full Auto to the face when you get a solid position. But you dont have any fancy force leaps or super speed if that's what you mean. Would be nice.

Yea it was more their grapple hook and storm (leap ability)

Need to find a PvP video I watched of a vanguard yesterday. Was beast mode.

Dunlop

Whats wrong with this picture?

wtfve.jpg

edit: lol, nvm imageshack refuses to save it any bigger for me. Sith Inquisitor header for my Bounty Hunter story

Word. I think Commandos are mobile enough. You definitely need to know how to move around in PvP. When to freeze your opponents and let 'em have it.

One thing though: Full Auto doesn't get much use from me anymore. Am I missing out? It didn't seem all that useful later on.

Patryn

Word. I think Commandos are mobile enough. You definitely need to know how to move around in PvP. When to freeze your opponents and let 'em have it.

One thing though: Full Auto doesn't get much use from me anymore. Am I missing out? It didn't seem all that useful later on.

I use it on occasion, but at this point, the damage reduction for me and the armor reduction for the enemy make Grav round a better bet. But, yeah, there are much better options available.

Whats wrong with this picture?

wtfve.jpg

edit: lol, nvm imageshack refuses to save it any bigger for me. Sith Inquisitor header for my Bounty Hunter story

The patch yesterday seems to have screwed up some of those loading screens. I got some errors in a few of mine now too.

Tried Imperial Agent, then Sith Inquisitor. Although the IA's story is better, Sith Inquisitor appears to be class that is more fun to play, at least Lvl <10.

I love the fact SWTOR doesn't have Arenas and Achievements. Only by playing something else you can see how badly messed up WoW is because of that.

bjb

Banned

Marauders has two single target specs which mostly rely on the DoT's. The damage is garbage for both. Their third spec (Rage) is more AoE based, however, it's essentially the Juggernaught DPS tree (albeit with two lightsabers).

As for them being fun or not, I wouldn't personally recommend playing one. I just hit 38, and part of me wish I had rolled something entirely different.

Dash27

If you spec Gunnery yeah I use it as a staple. A lot of points add to it's damage and Grav Round will proc a +25% damage buff for your next Auto Shot. It will also snare people when talented in Gunnery.

Assault probably doesnt use it as much.

Patryn said:
GAF is on Keller's Void. It's a fairly popular server (so expect queues at night, but they're not terrible), but everything in the game is instanced. So normally on a given planet you'll generally only have between 75-180 other players.

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll make sure to start on that server :)

Marauders has two single target specs which mostly rely on the DoT's. The damage is garbage for both. Their third spec (Rage) is more AoE based, however, it's essentially the Juggernaught DPS tree (albeit with two lightsabers).

As for them being fun or not, I wouldn't personally recommend playing one. I just hit 38, and part of me wish I had rolled something entirely different.

I see. That doesn't seem like what I had in mind as a Marauder. Is there a primary DPS class that's great end game and leveling wise? How about a sorcerer type class? Are they good as DPS classes? Can a Sith Sorcerer use a lightsaber and if so, can I make that class a pure dps class with a bit of healing for solo purposes?

I may just end up going Juggernaut if DPS classes become a hassle.

As for IA - go Operative or Sniper? Is Operative Stleath/Melee viable, or is it simply an afterthought to Medic tree?

Operative is a rogue who can heal. As for the second question, oh god no. Definitely not an afterthought theyre a slow burn but once you hit like 25 they start to pick up steam, by time you get acid blade...shit got real. Love playing my Lucy Lu operative, taking out 6 mobs in all of a few seconds never gets old. And Imperial Agent has the best storyline in the game period.

I always get "Sorry, we couldn't find your code. Try again?" when I try entering the security key on the setup page

Strange, I followed the steps on the website without an issue. IIRC, there two deprecate codes you had to enter to register the iOS app. Are you imputing those correctly?

Also, maybe you should call/email the support team.

JWong

Banned
Has anyone had the issue of objects/terrain flickering out of existence?

I don't think it's a hardware issue. I forced 8x AA though.

Why did my car have to break on my way to pick this up from Gamestop? I had to blow my money on fixing my car instead of this.

BAH!

Me 0 - Life 1

erragal

I think we're at a point where something like this should simply work. Sorry you don't feel the same.

Are you still having node problems? After yesterday's patch my friend has had 100% success rate on all of his archaeology nodes (They were always the worst for us).

I think we're at a point where something like this should simply work. Sorry you don't feel the same.

MMO launches and stuff not working is pretty normal. Hopefully gets fixed and not turn into SWG where the same bug persists a full year before it gets fixed (and then in the process breaking something else).

JWong

Banned
MMO launches and stuff not working is pretty normal. Hopefully gets fixed and not turn into SWG where the same bug persists a full year before it gets fixed (and then in the process breaking something else).

To this day, there's still a bugged node in Twilight Highlands in WoW.

I see. That doesn't seem like what I had in mind as a Marauder. Is there a primary DPS class that's great end game and leveling wise? How about a sorcerer type class? Are they good as DPS classes? Can a Sith Sorcerer use a lightsaber and if so, can I make that class a pure dps class with a bit of healing for solo purposes?

I may just end up going Juggernaut if DPS classes become a hassle.

A lot of people are down on the class right now, but without proper damage meters it is impossible to actually speak to the balance of their DPS. I'm at level 28 right now and the class feels all right to me. Playing with the healer companion, I can take on 2 elites at once (without a proper CC) and win the fight. Annihilation has a decent bit of self-healing through a talent that causes you to heal 2% of your max life per bleed crit and an assortment of abilities to make your bleeds crit more often. It didn't really come together for me until I got my level 21 talent point in though. A lot of the specs seem to suffer from blooming somewhat late (level 21 is easily 20+ hours of play). They are defined by abilities that come late in the trees.

erragal

A lot of people are down on the class right now, but without proper damage meters it is impossible to actually speak to the balance of their DPS. I'm at level 28 right now and the class feels all right to me. Playing with the healer companion, I can take on 2 elites at once (without a proper CC) and win the fight. Annihilation has a decent bit of self-healing through a talent that causes you to heal 2% of your max life per bleed crit and an assortment of abilities to make your bleeds crit more often. It didn't really come together for me until I got my level 21 talent point in though. A lot of the specs seem to suffer from blooming somewhat late (level 21 is easily 20+ hours of play). They are defined by abilities that come late in the trees.

I haven't played it but from simple analysis the annihilation tree should be absolutely beastly. If I was playing my Sith Warrior completely solo and had no desire to tank I would have went annihilation marauder in a heartbeat. It also seems to be relatively complex rotation with a lot of cooldowns/procs to monitor; maximizing berserk for the 100% bleed crit will be the real goal of that build.

From grouping with Marauders, they do some beastly damage it seems. There lack of unique utility seems like there biggest "issue" as the other DPS seem to bring more to the table in abilities/function.

Anno

Is anyone really enamored with any of their companions? In my experience so far T7 is the only companion I've ever really liked. About to get Kira so maybe that'll change. Most others just seem hard to connect with.

I got to 34 on my BH and played through the ending of act 1 last night. It was badass! It could have totally been the last area in a KOTOR game. I was actually reminded of the last area in KOTOR a lot. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't hook me up with a piece of that certain iconic armor though. If you've played that section, you know what I'm talking about. They could have thrown in a helmet or something.

Then I got my legacy and gave myself the surname, Sunrider. That's the last name they give your character at the beginning of KOTOR. Are the last names unique?

Tested out the Sniper till about level 14. I found the cover system to be a bit clunky for PvP.

The cover system is clunky and can be frustrating, but I'm having a good time with my level 17 Sniper. I've tried a few alts, but have always gone back to my Sniper after a couple hours. I haven't really tried PVP, but I think if you plan accordingly the class could be quite viable as long as you mostly focus on one skill tree. I can see a lot of potential for my character with the Marksman tree. Plus, nothing beats the satisfaction of one shotting mobs with Ambush or Snipe. :)

Won

That opening burst from my Scoundrel just feel out of control in PvP. I hope this changes when everyone is 50 and has PvP gear. Just doesn't seem right.

KrawlMan

Does this game provide any way to change your hair / hair color? I've been going dark side with my Trooper and his blond-ish hair is causing an unpleasant / goofy looking contrast to the pale, corrupt face.

Another question would be, does the dark side ever start to have an effect on your characters hair (in which case I wouldn't care about trying to change it).

border

Is this game just never going to work with add-ons?

So we'll never have proper damage meters, threat meters, boss mods, or anything like that?

So we'll never have proper damage meters, threat meters, boss mods, or anything like that?

They said in the future, they also wanted to have in game some of this stuff but didn't get around to it at launch. They clarified that they aren't against this stuff, just wasn't enough time for them to get it in for launch. Seeing at how lacking various UI elements are and that they plan to add more customization to it, assume they put the UI on backburner to get the rest of the game up to snuff for release.

erragal

From grouping with Marauders, they do some beastly damage it seems. There lack of unique utility seems like there biggest "issue" as the other DPS seem to bring more to the table in abilities/function.

They get slice droid, a bloodlust at high levels, predation pretty early (Would love to have this for side questing, zoom zoom), a talent that lets their bleed crits heal the whole party (Shadowpriest style healing) etc.

The problem isn't any class lacking unique utility/functionality it's that a lot of the functionality is in the talent trees, requires reading, and people aren't playing their class properly yet because there isn't a guide to tell them exactly how to do it.

This is also the most fun time to play because not everyone is running around with a cookie cutter build.

I hope not. Not having Arenas and Achievements made me realize how much they ruined WoW. I don't want next MMO to turn into min-max spreadsheet. As long as the boss dies it's fine.

Spookie

I hope not. Not having Arenas and Achievements made me realize how much they ruined WoW. I don't want next MMO to turn into min-max spreadsheet. As long as the boss dies it's fine.

But I can't see how much DPS I'm doing with this build, or who is dragging the group down, or manage my cooldowns easily, or I'm constantly looking at hotbars and it's hard to manage my debuffs.

The list goes on. While I'm not fussed on achievements or gearscore. It does need additional features.

gatti-man

But I can't see how much DPS I'm doing with this build, or who is dragging the group down, or manage my cooldowns easily, or I'm constantly looking at hotbars and it's hard to manage my debuffs.

The list goes on. While I'm not fussed on achievements or gearscore. It does need additional features.

Basic stuff would be nice.

Blitzzz

how does pvp queing work? is it always voidstar first? it's always the first one when I queue up lol.... just luck?

republic owns in bg on kellers... a tie has been my worst outcome

Top Bottom