• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Carm

based on PVP queues, the Empire side is busier on KV

Hrm, I'm tempted to start a character on the server. I have a feeling the surname I want is already taken though, would bug me to death not being able to use it. It's the reason I played non stop on my current server to get it before it was taken. Surnames really shouldn't be unique =x.

On an unrelated note, when I get around to playing a BH and IA, I'm trying to decide between two races for each. Right now I'm leaning chiss for IA Op and Rattataki BH(PT). Seems the look of the Rattataki fits more with a ruthless BH.

TlKiT.jpg

I'm getting this weird issue where I go from 80 fps with max settings to 20-30 no matter what area I'm in or settings I'm using. The only temporary fix I've found is to reinstall graphic drivers, but it comes back soon after and now it's coming back immediately. Any ideas?

Using a GTX 460 with an i5@4ghz.

I listened to the latest Darth Hater and Mos Eisley Cantina podcasts tonight and they kept mentioning something about a memory leak that happens when you're using shadows. That sounds like it might be your problem. They say on the podcast that you should turn them all the way off, but I'm getting a good 45-55 fps with low shadows.

Blackface

Banned
Couple things.

Thanks for taking over and making a new SWTOR thread when I was banned. Had some ideas for the official topic but this turned out great.

also

I made an Imperial Agent PVP video a week ago - http://youtu.be/qxR8wYIQqmQ

people seem to like it. I have footage for another, and well be making many more videos in the future. Including tutorials, and tricks for Warzones that not many people know.

I will also be making PVP videos showing off other Sniper specs, including Engineering, which IMO is one of the most under-rated and neglected PVP specs in the game.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
As a Smuggler, the Celestial Crow mission was fantastic. I love being a smart ass and unrepentant playboy. My girlfriend cracked up quite a few times at the conversation at the end.

Finally got to Tattooine. Only saw a bit of it but looks amazing. Finally an open world....at least seemingly.

I'm praying they add housing at some point and give us a nice open world to plop houses down on.
So many things I wish they could incorporate from SWG *sniff*

Solo'd all of Tython, got to Crosucant and finally managed to play with some friends through the Republic Flashpoint event. It kind of sucked because all three were ranged troopers and I ended making my Consular a Shadow, which is essentially a slow moving rogue with some buffs/debuffs. Every time I would stomp up to an enemy, it would die because of a hail of blaster fire. If I was lucky I would get a swipe or two of my lightsaber in. Things got more entertaining when I helped level a friend up through Tython and did some of the heavy lifting.

All in all I'm enjoying my first MMO experience. I really like having the AI companion to help you with soloing and the more story-driven/cinematic bent of the game. The Old Republic almost feels like I'm playing a single player rpg, with optional cooperative play.

Thoraxes

Why is server response and visual latency at such ridiculous levels in Warzones?

I can deal with going from 100FPS to 15FPS, but I can't deal with a 5 second delay in everything I do, even when my ping is at 26.

Blackface

Banned
Why is server response and visual latency at such ridiculous levels in Warzones?

I can deal with going from 100FPS to 15FPS, but I can't deal with a 5 second delay in everything I do, even when my ping is at 26.

This is a massive problem and causes PVP to feel extremely unresponsive.

The problem is this. A player gets hit slightly before your bullet or saber physically hits their model in a visual sense. This gives the game time to calculate what is happening, and display it once it visually looks to you, as if you hit the person.

In PVP this is delayed. Visually you hit him, but you do not see signs of it until 0.5 to 1 second after the hit. Which is FOREVER in PVP. This means when you have a killing blow, the person won't instantly drop dead unless you are away from the pack in a 1v1 situation. There is a slight delay. This allows you to que up another attack, then the server recognizes the player you are trying to hit again is dead, displays the visual death animation, and cancels your current attack.

The server will also wait for your animation to finish before showing the person as dead. So if the person who got the killing blow, has a long animation, there is going to be a significant delay.

On the flip side, sometimes the server predicts in advance what is going to happen. So if you are a Sniper and snipe someone. They may drop dead before your bullet gets to them.

This is a problem WoW does not have. It is why WoW feels so much more smooth. When you look at the movement and animation, SWTOR is as good or better then WoW. Yet, for some reason in PVP something feels a bit clunky. What I wrote above is why, and Bioware should look into fixing it. I am sure they will.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Sigh.

Ran through Directive 7 on hard mode tonight, it's so full of jank it isn't even funny. Bunch of rooms you can just walk right through without getting any aggro, the clones from the Interrogator just stand there, and the last boss kept getting stuck in between phases, leaving us to continually run out and reset it to see if it would work next time.

I want to keep playing but it seems like I just need to take a break until they fix a lot of the hard mode stuff. Most of the flash points I did today didn't even have loot on the final bosses because the chests would bug and not open.

Thoraxes

The problem is this. A player gets hit slightly before your bullet or saber physically hits their model in a visual sense. This gives the game time to calculate what is happening, and display it once it visually looks to you, as if you hit the person.

In PVP this is delayed. Visually you hit him, but you do not see signs of it until 0.5 to 1 second after the hit. Which is FOREVER in PVP. This means when you have a killing blow, the person won't instantly drop dead unless you are away from the pack in a 1v1 situation. There is a slight delay. This allows you to que up another attack, then the server recognizes the player you are trying to hit again is dead, displays the visual death animation, and cancels your current attack.

The server will also wait for your animation to finish before showing the person as dead. So if the person who got the killing blow, has a long animation, there is going to be a significant delay.

On the flip side, sometimes the server predicts in advance what is going to happen. So if you are a Sniper and snipe someone. They may drop dead before your bullet gets to them.

This is a problem WoW does not have. It is why WoW feels so much more smooth. When you look at the movement and animation, SWTOR is as good or better then WoW. Yet, for some reason in PVP something feels a bit clunky. What I wrote above is why, and Bioware should look into fixing it. I am sure they will.
In the AMA with Reddit, Stephen Reid said that the PvP team is hard at work, so i'm hoping we'll see something sooner than later. PvP in ToR has the potential to be really fun too, and they have some solid concepts in place. All they need now is the fine-tuning and responsiveness and everything will be butter.

Dina

Sigh.

Ran through Directive 7 on hard mode tonight, it's so full of jank it isn't even funny. Bunch of rooms you can just walk right through without getting any aggro, the clones from the Interrogator just stand there, and the last boss kept getting stuck in between phases, leaving us to continually run out and reset it to see if it would work next time.

I want to keep playing but it seems like I just need to take a break until they fix a lot of the hard mode stuff. Most of the flash points I did today didn't even have loot on the final bosses because the chests would bug and not open.

I just popped 50, and that is disappointing.

How easy is it to go fresh from 50 into the lower tier Hard Mode Flashpoints?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
In the AMA with Reddit, Stephen Reid said that the PvP team is hard at work, so i'm hoping we'll see something sooner than later. PvP in ToR has the potential to be really fun too, and they have some solid concepts in place. All they need now is the fine-tuning and responsiveness and everything will be butter.

That was a good read. Thanks for the link! :)

Jira

The issue is their animation system combined with the skill queue. When you hit a skill the animation MUST finish before it starts another and say for example you cast a heal, this heal DOES NOT register until the animation is finished, so your cast time could be 1.5 seconds but the animation makes it 2.0 seconds and your target then dies. This is all for the sake of deflecting blasters and lightsaber animations, they really shouldn't have done this as the control and fluidity of your character is the most important thing in MMOs. This is something that killed Warhammer and needs to be corrected now, not later. People want fluid controls and response, not blaster deflection.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=95738

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I just popped 50, and that is disappointing.

How easy is it to go fresh from 50 into the lower tier Hard Mode Flashpoints?
For the most part they're really easy, in just about every instance though there's some boss that's either broken (Directive 7), got busted enrage timers (Boarding Party, Foundry) or just needs to be adjusted. It's saying a lot though that despite all the jank I'm still having a blast seeing and experiencing all of the flash points.

As far as going in straight from 50, it's probably best to start with BT and work your way up since they progressively require better gear.

frequency

I bought this a few days ago and have tried a few of the classes. I'm not sure what I want to stick with.

I was enjoying Smuggler (Gunslinger), but I just ran Esselles or whatever (with someone from the GAF guild! Vergil I think his name was). The first Republic flash point. The cover mechanic is kind of a nuisance. By the time I get into cover, the 2 troopers had things mostly dead.

And on the boss fight, I'd get knocked out of cover and have to go back in. On the last boss, he put a purple thingy right on my cover spot, so I ran out and went to crouch into cover elsewhere, but it rolled me right back into the spot and I got hit.

It just feels so... clunky. Am I just terrible?

I'm also feeling very overwhelmed by the amount of skills I have. I'm only like level 12 and I already have most of my two bars full. :(

When I tried trooper earlier, I didn't like her as a character. It was too... stiff. I'm not really into the whole military story thingy. And everyone is a Jedi so I don't really want to be one.

Skirn

I bought this a few days ago and have tried a few of the classes. I'm not sure what I want to stick with.

I was enjoying Smuggler (Gunslinger), but I just ran Esselles or whatever (with someone from the GAF guild! Vergil I think his name was). The first Republic flash point. The cover mechanic is kind of a nuisance. By the time I get into cover, the 2 troopers had things mostly dead.

And on the boss fight, I'd get knocked out of cover and have to go back in. On the last boss, he put a purple thingy right on my cover spot, so I ran out and went to crouch into cover elsewhere, but it rolled me right back into the spot and I got hit.

It just feels so... clunky. Am I just terrible?

I'm also feeling very overwhelmed by the amount of skills I have. I'm only like level 12 and I already have most of my two bars full. :(

When I tried trooper earlier, I didn't like her as a character. It was too... stiff. I'm not really into the whole military story thingy. And everyone is a Jedi so I don't really want to be one.

I was annoyed by the cover mechanic, too, which is why I switched to Trooper. Once I accidentally rolled straight into a small army of badguys when I just wanted to enter the portable cover-thingy. :lol

frequency

You will use only 4-5 skills anyway(may be a few more for skills with ~1 min++ cooldown)

That's good to know. I guess I just need to figure out which ones.

I don't know why it's so confusing/hard for me... I've been playing MMOs for a very long time. Maybe I'm just getting old :(

I was annoyed by the cover mechanic, too, which is why I switched to Trooper. Once I accidentally rolled straight into a small army of badguys when I just wanted to enter the portable cover-thingy. :lol

I do that all the time. I just wish I liked the trooper story a bit more. Does it get less... dry? Or less war-y?

frequency

So there's no way to go back and change your choice from Gunslinger to Scoundrel right?

Kind of regretting my choice.

Yeah, your Advanced Class is permanent.
I've done the beginning area too many times and don't want to go back to do another 10 levels so I can try Scoundrel. I chose Gunslinger because Scoundrel sounded like it was more melee based and that just seemed silly to me. But this reliance on the janky cover mechanic is bumming me out.

CzarTim

They could easily cut the number of skills in half. I feel like I have two of everything. One that's powerful with a long cool down, and one that is cheap and quick. But two CCs, two grenades, two channeled shots, two melees.

You will use only 4-5 skills anyway(may be a few more for skills with ~1 min++ cooldown)

I don't think this is true in general. As an Operative I find myself typically engaging at a close range when acting in a DPS role and at range when acting as a support healer. Up close I have about 6 skills to rotate through plus my main fire and as a healer there are another 5 or 6 skills that I need to use constantly. I also have about 3 or 4 skills that are more situational. ATM I have two bars filled and hotkeyed and find myself using most of them on a regular basis. Some of that space is fluff but I have more than 12 skills that I use constantly. I picked up the Razer Naga though and it makes skill management very easy even with 24+ skills.

They could easily cut the number of skills in half. I feel like I have two of everything. One that's powerful with a long cool down, and one that is cheap and quick. But two CCs, two grenades, two channeled shots, two melees.

Some of the classes have too many, some seem just right though

frequency

I'm a terrible gamer and I don't want to commit the time to learn so many keybinds to use on a regular basis. That could be the "deal breaker" on this game for me.

I just don't have the time or patience for it anymore.

I do feel like there's skills just for the sake of skills though. It's like... I really don't need 6 different damaging attacks on different cooldowns with slightly different numbers.

Some of the classes have too many, some seem just right though

Which classes are "just right" in your opinion?

LiK

I'm a terrible gamer and I don't want to commit the time to learn TWELVE keybinds to use on a regular basis. That could be the "deal breaker" on this game for me.

I just don't have the time or patience for it anymore.

I do feel like there's skills just for the sake of skills though. It's like... I really don't need 6 different damaging attacks on different cooldowns with slightly different numbers.
I don't really use them binds. I just click on them. works for me.

frequency

I don't really use them binds. I just click on them. works for me.

I guess I didn't really mean binds. It's not a huge thing pressing 1 - 5, ctrl+1 - 5, etc. It's just learning all those icons and which one does what and when I should do it.

Like I'm only level 12 on my smuggler but I'm already sitting there looking at my action bars and wondering if I should attack the guy this way or that way or AAAAGH.
Why can't it be just like this shot hits for a lot, this is your main "spammable" attack, this one has a dot, this one interrupts, etc. Instead it's like this one does 100 - 120 damage. This other one does 110 - 140 damage but is on a slightly longer cooldown! This third one is a shorter range, has yet another different cooldown, and does some damage inbetween the other 2~

CzarTim

I don't think this is true in general. As an Operative I find myself typically engaging at a close range when acting in a DPS role and at range when acting as a support healer. Up close I have about 6 skills to rotate through plus my main fire and as a healer there are another 5 or 6 skills that I need to use constantly. I also have about 3 or 4 skills that are more situational. ATM I have two bars filled and hotkeyed and find myself using most of them on a regular basis. Some of that space is fluff but I have more than 12 skills that I use constantly. I picked up the Razer Naga though and it makes skill management very easy even with 24+ skills.

Yeah, it's way worse for healers. My left quickslot bar is filled with medic stuff. My bottom two are combat. And now I'm starting to have to put essential stuff on the right one too.

I have a G110 keyboard with 12 bindable keys and a mouse with two extra keys and I still find myself all over the place in PVP (only time I feel overwhelmed about it all).

I doubt we see a moddable UI before 2013, so it's going to be a while before it gets better.

Which classes are "just right" in your opinion?

In beta I found my operative to be just right with the skills it had, everything had a use, as well as my current main Sith Warrior Jug.

Now my trooper commando, I feel it has way too much with redundant abilities

I doubt we see a moddable UI this year, so it's going to be a while before it gets better.

Customizable UI seems to be one of their priorities right now since they keep bringing it up and one of the few things they are working on that they have confirmed multiple times, while everything else has been "we'll talk about it later"

LiK

I guess I didn't really mean binds. It's not a huge thing pressing 1 - 5, ctrl+1 - 5, etc. It's just learning all those icons and which one does what and when I should do it.

Like I'm only level 12 on my smuggler but I'm already sitting there looking at my action bars and wondering if I should attack the guy this way or that way or AAAAGH.
Why can't it be just like this shot hits for a lot, this one has a dot, this one interrupts, etc. Instead it's like this one does 100 - 120 damage. This other one does 110 - 140 damage but is on a slightly longer cooldown! This third one is a shorter range, has yet another different cooldown, and does some damage inbetween the other 2~
oh, I haven't played that class. i'm a Jedi Sentinel and I only use 5-6 powers at most so it's not bad for me. I might mash 1-2 for more punch. I wish the game had autoattack.

eznark

Banned

Why can't it be just like this shot hits for a lot, this is your main "spammable" attack, this one has a dot, this one interrupts, etc. Instead it's like this one does 100 - 120 damage. This other one does 110 - 140 damage but is on a slightly longer cooldown! This third one is a shorter range, has yet another different cooldown, and does some damage inbetween the other 2~

Too many options! Call of Duty is thattaway!

You'll figure it out. I'm by no means an MMO expert but I have dabbled in WoW, Warhammer and DCUO enough to know that you don't need every single skill on your action bar. If you find ones that are redundant (and it seems like you have) then just remove them. The options just give different ways to play each class for each play style, ideally. I'm only level 5 so I haven't run into it in this game. DCUO was especially weird about it I thought, but you find a groove.

My hangup right now is finding the right UI layout.

frequency

In beta I found my operative to be just right with the skills it had, everything had a use, as well as my current main Sith Warrior Jug.

Now my trooper commando, I feel it has way too much with redundant abilities
The smuggler is the republic version of the operative I think :(
So I guess I just suck.

oh, I haven't played that class. i'm a Jedi Sentinel and I only use 5-6 powers at most so it's not bad for me. I might mash 1-2 for more punch. I wish the game had autoattack.

I might try a Jedi then. I didn't want to because everyone seems to be a Jedi, but I like this game enough and I want to stick with it for a bit. It would be a shame if something like "too many options" was what scares me away.
But I like the idea of smuggler so much... it's like I can finally live out my fantasy of being a female version of Captain Reynolds!

Too many options! Call of Duty is thattaway!

You'll figure it out. I'm by no means an MMO expert but I have dabbled in WoW, Warhammer and DCUO enough to know that you don't need every single skill on your action bar. If you find ones that are redundant (and it seems like you have) then just remove them. The options just give different ways to play each class for each play style, ideally. I'm only level 5 so I haven't run into it in this game. DCUO was especially weird about it I thought, but you find a groove.

My hangup right now is finding the right UI layout.

I've been subscribed to one MMO or another for like the last 10 years or something. So I'm not new to this at all. I'm not sure why I feel overwhelmed here when I've certainly played more complicated games. Maybe I'm just getting old or I played WoW for too long and got used to their 1-3 button combat or something.

I know if I stick with it long enough I'll get used to it but... learning sucks!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Want to like my Sniper more but it just feels so broken. I have talent points that pretty clearly state I am supposed to get an instant Snipe when I enter cover. Why do I not seem to get it all the time? Why do I keep getting talent points that augment Series of Shots when I won't get it for another ten levels and it seems essential to any kind of rotation? Snipe seems like it's supposed to be some kind of builder for Ambush but I am just not seeing it at all right now. Class shows promise but doesn't feel like it comes together well enough.

Skirn

[...]

I do that all the time. I just wish I liked the trooper story a bit more. Does it get less... dry? Or less war-y?

The story's chock-full of military stuff, yes, like soldiers being hung-out by their leaders and betrayals in the army ranks. I'm only level 15, but this has been my experience so far and I'd say it's fairly decent.

As for combat, well, I'd wish there was more of a synergy between my skills, but looking at the talent tree there seems to be more interesting combinations down the line (i.e. Grav Round + High Impact Bolt).

FLEABttn

Banned
I've been subscribed to one MMO or another for like the last 10 years or something. So I'm not new to this at all. I'm not sure why I feel overwhelmed here when I've certainly played more complicated games. Maybe I'm just getting old or I played WoW for too long and got used to their 1-3 button combat or something.

I know if I stick with it long enough I'll get used to it but... learning sucks!

It's not just you. As I've leveled I've figured out which actions are sidebar worthy, but my apparent rotation is made up of 7 abilities that are used often and 3 ~1M cool downs.

I probably can manage end game with that many, but it really is too many I think. They should have trimmed the amount of abilities down.

Jira

TOR is pushing EQ2 skill bloat and you don't want to go there. You could say LoTRO did too, at least that's how I felt on my Rune Keeper.

Izayoi

Banned
TOR is pushing EQ2 skill bloat and you don't want to go there. You could say LoTRO did too, at least that's how I felt on my Rune Keeper.
TOR is relatively light on skill bloat, I think. At least on Trooper (only 3 skills I don't have on my bar).

LoTRO was awful about it, though. Every class by cap had around 50 skills, and regularly used maybe a fifth of that.

It's not just you. As I've leveled I've figured out which actions are sidebar worthy, but my apparent rotation is made up of 7 abilities that are used often and 3 ~1M cool downs.

I probably can manage end game with that many, but it really is too many I think. They should have trimmed the amount of abilities down.

Ironically in beta a common complaint was how few abilities you had in game. Several months before release they slapped in a bunch of new abilities into the game and now your seeing lot of complaints everywhere that there are too many abilities! There were bunch of gaps in leveling up where you didn't get any new abilities and they created some new ones to give you the feeling of getting abilities on a regular basis which I think has created some of this bloat.

Top Bottom