• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

More class-specific content than WoW?

Of course, WoW has very very little class specific content. There is a lot of class exclusive content, but if you add up all the other quests in the game, majority of it is shared and not exclusive. You might have about 15% of your quests as exclusive.

Though the game has an over abundance of quest content, so you have your choice really on how much of the shared content you really have to do.

Deadly

Are there many people that are 50 yet? I'd like to see opinions on the end game content. Especially the
Revan
storyline.

Are there many people that are 50 yet? I'd like to see opinions on the end game content. Especially the
Revan
storyline.

Doesn't sound like many are doing end game really yet, most 50's are doing pvp for gear while waiting for their guildies to catch up to do operations.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Cool armor, but shitty helms till late levels

Yeah. I personally enjoy the story quite a bit, it is definitely engaging. But as he said, you are likely to not have a cool looking helmet until the mid-30's.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am going to beat Skyrim before I crack the seal on SWTOR, but man, this thread makes me think if I do PVP, I will be surrounded by hundreds of 50s already.

EDarkness

What are melee guys supposed to do? Course we are going to come over there and stab you

Makes sense for melee guys to get in your face, but the cover system is totally inflexible and not worth having to bother with. They should really go back and rethink it. The idea sounds cool on paper, but kinda sucks in practice. Even being able to drop your own "cover" is just a bandaid fix to a larger problem.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The portable shield is fine but using the surroundings as your cover mechanically doesn't work well. It also gives LoS issues about 70% of the time and doesn't trigger the Charged Blast with no cast time either.
The worst thing is when a cover spot pops up at the last second and you roll into cover somewhere you absolutely do not want to be or in aggro range. The other huge issue for me is that cover spots can show up in the world and I just don't want to use them, but the only way to take cover without taking that position is to run very far out of range from that cover point.

Derrick01

Banned
Well I cracked and bought this yesterday, thankfully the retail version is origin free. I'll join the gaf empire guild when this decides to finish installing.

CzarTim

The worst thing is when a cover spot pops up at the last second and you roll into cover somewhere you absolutely do not want to be or in aggro range. The other huge issue for me is that cover spots can show up in the world and I just don't want to use them, but the only way to take cover without taking that position is to run very far out of range from that cover point.

Preferences > Key Bindings > Movement > Cover in Place

Makes sense for melee guys to get in your face, but the cover system is totally inflexible and not worth having to bother with. They should really go back and rethink it. The idea sounds cool on paper, but kinda sucks in practice. Even being able to drop your own "cover" is just a bandaid fix to a larger problem.

I don't mind the idea of cover as it curbs the ridiculous amount of damage you can do with it, but I would rather Cover in Place be the only option.

I don't mind the idea of cover as it curbs the ridiculous amount of damage you can do with it, but I would rather Cover in Place be the only option.

Yea I think cover is fine, it's fluffy and it's also a limiting factor to the crazy damage and control. They should have a toggle to let you turn off the option to roll into cover as it screws up often. Let me choose and not make it automatic

Dash27

so pvp. What exactly differentiates each other? Abilities is one right? the higher the lvl the more abilities you have. But does regular armor make a difference or do i need to buy some of that pvp armor with commendations?

Expertise stat increases damage and mitigates incoming damage, but you wont get gear with that til later on.

CzarTim

Yea I think cover is fine, it's fluffy and it's also a limiting factor to the crazy damage and control. They should have a toggle to let you turn off the option to roll into cover as it screws up often. Let me choose and not make it automatic

The problem is world cover offers more defense iirc

Won

Saw a Commando with Jedi Guardian armor. Looked so badass.
But I will still roll with Vanguard. Need to tank.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Saw a Commando with Jedi Guardian armor. Looked so badass.
But I will still roll with Vanguard. Need to tank.
i'm not sure what commandos need with strength, but ok. I guess that guy thinks he looks cool.

Patryn

i'm not sure what commandos need with strength, but ok. I guess that guy thinks he looks cool.

If he's like me, it's probably because everything he finds is STR gear. It's like the world is taunting me, because I never find AIM gear.

Venfayth

Elites that are higher level than you are hard - or at least they are for my jedi sentinel.

I can barely kill 32 elites as a 31, I must use all of my cooldowns, interrupt on cooldown, use a medkit, etc.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Orange gear + mods.
ah
Elites that are higher level than you are hard - or at least they are for my jedi sentinel.

I can barely kill 32 elites as a 31, I must use all of my cooldowns, interrupt on cooldown, use a medkit, etc.
they wouldnt be elites if they were easy.

Had an interesting dilemma while healing in a flashpoint. I had to use a med pack to save myself since there was no other healer and basically the tank and OT didn't do their job very well. Do you as non healers expect to never have to use a medpack if you have a healer or would you use one to save yourself?

DTX3

Neo Member
so way b4 this game came out all i wanted to do was b a marauder...i got one up to lvl 33 and got so bored with that class....i mean the story so far is awesome but marauders take waayyyy too much damage even when ur using quinn ur still gettin messed up....i did every single quest so far which had me going to all the planets over leveled and i was still just getting messed up. so i decided to roll an inquisitor sorcerer lightning spec and now im just destroying everything in my path with no problem and ive gotta say im having a blast. way more fun than marauders imo. my marauder will deff b sitting in a cantina collecting rest xp until they get a much needed buff.

also i still see people asking how to join our gaf empire guild on KV since the OT still hasnt been updated to show who our officers are. just whisper either villeon (or his alt basif), sciion (which is myself and Dignus is my alt), Alicar (somnia is his alt), verigan, or sona. sorry if i forgot any other officers. just whisper any one of us in game and give us your gaf name so we can verify its you. :)

Had an interesting dilemma while healing in a flashpoint. I had to use a med pack to save myself since there was no other healer and basically the tank and OT didn't do their job very well. Do you as non healers expect to never have to use a medpack if you have a healer or would you use one to save yourself?

Always keep med packs on me for emergencies. Has saved me and the group on several occassions.

Trouble

Banned
They should use the default cover shortcuts (F for cover, Shift+F for cover in place) for stealth. I've been doing this since I got stealth and it is super handy.

F = stealth
Shift+F = in-combat stealth (force cloak)

Soroc

I'm so confused when gearing my companion Qyzen Fess. Why is his primary stat Aim when he is a melee tank? Shouldn't I be slotting stat bonuses for Strength and Endurance instead of Aim and Endurance?

Anyone see any Orange Techblades also?

Which is why we need guild banks so Biochemmers can share their excess medpacks.

I'm assuming they are waiting for the guild starships before we have any guild banks. Sucks b/c there is a lot of stuff I would like to offer to guild before throwing on GTM. I usually will ask in guild chat but only 20 or so people are on and usually no one needs whatever I'm offering at the time :p

cackhyena

So I'm all signed up and ready to go. I get 30 free days, but they are wanting me to sign up for at least a 30 sub. Can i do that, and then uncheck it or something? Or are they forcing you to pay another 14.99 right off the bat?

LiK

So I'm all signed up and ready to go. I get 30 free days, but they are wanting me to sign up for at least a 30 sub. Can i do that, and then uncheck it or something? Or are they forcing you to pay another 14.99 right off the bat?

no, it will charge you when the free 30 days end. i was confused too.

I'm assuming they are waiting for the guild starships before we have any guild banks. Sucks b/c there is a lot of stuff I would like to offer to guild before throwing on GTM. I usually will ask in guild chat but only 20 or so people are on and usually no one needs whatever I'm offering at the time :p

Guild banks are going to come first.

also i still see people asking how to join our gaf empire guild on KV since the OT still hasnt been updated to show who our officers are. just whisper either villeon (or his alt basif), sciion (which is myself and Dignus is my alt), Alicar (somnia is his alt), verigan, or sona. sorry if i forgot any other officers. just whisper any one of us in game and give us your gaf name so we can verify its you. :)
Yeah we need to get Billychu to update the OP with GAF Empire officer names and characters. I would grab the entire list right now but I haven't bought my new power supply yet since I've been busy. If anybody can get a list of them and send it to Billy that would be great.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I guess I didn't really mean binds. It's not a huge thing pressing 1 - 5, ctrl+1 - 5, etc. It's just learning all those icons and which one does what and when I should do it.

Like I'm only level 12 on my smuggler but I'm already sitting there looking at my action bars and wondering if I should attack the guy this way or that way or AAAAGH.
Why can't it be just like this shot hits for a lot, this is your main "spammable" attack, this one has a dot, this one interrupts, etc. Instead it's like this one does 100 - 120 damage. This other one does 110 - 140 damage but is on a slightly longer cooldown! This third one is a shorter range, has yet another different cooldown, and does some damage inbetween the other 2~

I'm a level 27 Gunslinger and the skills start to differentiate themselves when you start adding options from the skill tree. Currently I don't think I have too many skills since I'll use most of them depending on the situation. For example 2 of my big damage skill are Charged Shot and Aimed Shot. With skill tree addition Aimed Shot takes 1.5 or 2 secs to fire but also has a chance of a knock back, where as Charged Shot had a modifier that lets it fire instantly as soon as you take cover. Later you get another big damage attack but you can only use that when the mob is under 30% health so I use that as a finisher. Then you've got a bleed, a couple of AOEs, etc etc.

Abilities I use all the time go on the top left of the bar, buffs and stuff go on the left side bar which I activate with the number keys and then I have the mouse hovering over the icons for skill I'll need depending on the situation. There are only a couple of skill I never use but that's likely because I've been duoing with my girlfriend's Sage the entire time.

I also put Cover on my left bar and mapped it to the middle mouse button. That helped a lot.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well I really think they misstepped there and listened to the wrong crowd of people. They've gone too far in the other direction. I never had a raid/heroic rotation in my 7 years of WoW that exceeded really more than 4, maybe 5 abilities used regularly, plus a couple of CD's. Adding more than that really just makes things more convoluted, not complex.

Fun, to me, isn't having your left hand dance all over the keyboard. This is too much.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Hitting the same 5 skills in the same order by rote repetition muscle memory is what kills any MMO for me. It's the most boring combat in the world.

I want to have to actually think when I fight and be required to react to the situation in order to be successful.

Venfayth

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Hitting the same 5 skills in the same order by rote repetition muscle memory is what kills any MMO for me. It's the most boring combat in the world.

I want to have to actually think when I fight and be required to react to the situation in order to be successful.

Coming up with an optimal dps rotation or priority system can be done in a way that's challenging with only 4-5 skills, my shadow priest in cata certainly was. Compared to some kitty-druids who had to deal with like 10-15 abilities, it certainly strikes me as infinitely more complex, but that's why different classes exist. I think it's a success if two classes are designed completely differently (4-5 skills vs 10-15) and can achieve relatively the same goal.

Dina

I don't mind reaction skills, but I have 3 self-buffs on a short cooldown + 2 trinkets that are also on a short cooldown. I'd rather I could macro this some way, but I can't. I have to shirt-tap five buttons in a row.

It's like playing DDR on a keyboard at times.

edit: then again, I was a pretty high level cat druid so a tough rotation is not that new.

KaYotiX

Banned
Well I cracked and bought this yesterday, thankfully the retail version is origin free. I'll join the gaf empire guild when this decides to finish installing.

They are all origin free, Origin is just the only place to download the game online. it has a separate client.

StudioTan

Coming up with an optimal dps rotation or priority system can be done in a way that's challenging with only 4-5 skills, my shadow priest in cata certainly was. Compared to some kitty-druids who had to deal with like 10-15 abilities, it certainly strikes me as infinitely more complex, but that's why different classes exist. I think it's a success if two classes are designed completely differently (4-5 skills vs 10-15) and can achieve relatively the same goal.

Good points.

I always have medpacks. And I also pinch heal if I see everyone else is taking too much damage.

Top Bottom