• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

JesseZao

I found that I'm addicted to LoL. I would play a match while waiting on a queue, and now I'm just playing LoL instead. I'm still going to get to 50, just have to avoid my LoL itch long enough to do it.

The only keybind I use is 1. My basic melee attack which I use while my force is regenerating. Otherwise, my mouse clicks what I want to use. And I love every ability I have and have found uses for all of them. The combat is very rewarding to me.

Still enjoying it quite a bit. Also have a crap load of characters already, only missing a Sith Inquisitor, which I'll probably make later.

Darklord

Banned
The Bounty Hunter on Alderaan is awesome. The super snobby nobels look down on me like I'm just rabble. So I insult them, punch them in the face, beat them, make passes at their daughters, steal their alcohol. And they way they react, just utterly disgusted and appalled. So good.

markatisu

Same boat. Having trouble getting motivation to continue leveling my Sith beyond 14. I'm just not feeling inspired like back in the WoW days.

Your story has barely become interesting, try making it to Level 20-21 and getting off your 2nd planet and things should pick up (space combat, broader story, better armors)

For me it was a drag to go from 14-17 on Trooper then it hit into high gear and I went from 17-21 in one night and had to force myself to stop playing

Love the game, but it's starting to bore me quite a bit. I lasted one week.

This is how I've been feeling. I keep making different characters and getting them to level 10, or 11, and I lose all interest and want to make a new one. The cycle just repeats itself. It's an awesome game and I get into the storylines but something just isn't hooking me. I wish there were more classes and species to choose from. I want to play as a Jawa so badly and I was excited to find out you get one as a companion with a Smuggler and Bounty Hunter but then I was letdown to find out it wasn't until level 40, lol.

I know around level ten is still the beginning but it's hard to push on when you just stop caring about the character and aren't having fun. Maybe MMO's just aren't for me anymore. It's been almost a decade since I've played once.

Darklord

Banned
This is how I've been feeling. I keep making different characters and getting them to level 10, or 11, and I lose all interest and want to make a new one..

You're literally repeating by far the most boring part of the game over and over. The game has a slow start. No ship, average planet, it's easing you in. If it was Kotor 1, it would be like you repeating the first half of Taris over and over. Get off the 2nd world, get your ship and then see how it goes. Remember, this game is huge. I'm 50 hours in and am STILL in Chapter 1. Level 10 is a slither of this game. I'm liking Tatooine and Alderaan a lot. Dat Dune sea.

Interfectum

This is how I've been feeling. I keep making different characters and getting them to level 10, or 11, and I lose all interest and want to make a new one. The cycle just repeats itself. It's an awesome game and I get into the storylines but something just isn't hooking me. I wish there were more classes and species to choose from. I want to play as a Jawa so badly and I was excited to find out you get one as a companion with a Smuggler and Bounty Hunter but then I was letdown to find out it wasn't until level 40, lol.

I know around level ten is still the beginning but it's hard to push on when you just stop caring about the character and aren't having fun. Maybe MMO's just aren't for me anymore. It's been almost a decade since I've played once.

The first 10 levels are the most boring parts of the game... and you keep repeating them. lol

You're literally repeating by far the most boring part of the game over and over. The game has a slow start. No ship, average planet, it's easing you in. If it was Kotor 1, it would be like you repeating the first half of Taris over and over. Get off the 2nd world, get your ship and then see how it goes. Remember, this game is huge. I'm 50 hours in and am STILL in Chapter 1. Level 10 is a slither of this game. I'm liking Tatooine and Alderaan a lot. Dat Dune sea.

The first 10 levels are the most boring parts of the game... and you keep repeating them. lol

But it's not the quests, planet, or storylines I find boring. I'm actually liking all of that. It's the characters themselves. Maybe they're more fun to play at higher levels but I can't stick with it if I'm not having fun.

RotBot

But it's not the quests, planet, or storylines I find boring. I'm actually liking all of that. It's the characters themselves. Maybe they're more fun to play at higher levels but I can't stick with it if I'm not having fun.

Maybe you have to find the right class? Have you tried most of them? I played about 4 different classes to level 12-14 till I found the one I enjoyed the most. Now I'm sticking with it and having a blast.

If you say so. The fact that this is an MMO and you actually play a character instead of a mute avatar or "toon" still amazes me.

http://pixelsordeath.com/soapbox/soapbox-2-why-star-wars-the-old-republic-matters

I meant that I wasn't having fun actually playing. Sorry, I guess I should have went into more detail. Yes, I love their personalities and how they feel like an actual individual.

Maybe you have to find the right class? Have you tried most of them? I played about 4 different classes to level 12-14 till I found the one I enjoyed the most. Now I'm sticking with it and having a blast.

That's what I've been doing. I've played about half of them and am going to try a Jedi Knight/Sentinel next.

Zafir

The planets get progressively better, and then get progressively worse again in my opinion. Not a fan of Voss at all.

Darklord

Banned

What characters have you tried? Everyone fucking raves about Imperial Agent. I'm also loving Bounty Hunter.

What characters have you tried? Everyone fucking raves about Imperial Agent. I'm also loving Bounty Hunter.

My first character was a Jedi Consular that I chose as a Sage. Then a Imperial Agent that I chose as a Operative, then as a Bounty Hunter that I chose as a Mercenary, then as a Smuggler that I chose as a Scoundrel.

Drinkel

Does the story stuff work well when playing with other people? I liked the conversations and story in the beta but I don't know if it would be better or worse if you play with a friend all the time.

erragal

My first character was a Jedi Consular that I chose as a Sage. Then a Imperial Agent that I chose as a Operative, then as a Bounty Hunter that I chose as a Mercenary, then as a Smuggler that I chose as a Scoundrel.

What didn't you like about the characters? You know that the Operative/Scoundrel are exact mirror classes, right?

Have you played MMO's before? How familiar are you with MMO mechanics and what type of playstyle usually clicks with you? That's the best way to decide what class to pick; particularly Empire side all of the stories have their positive aspects (I get to see them all grouping with a BH/Inquis and playing an IA/Warrior)

EDIT:
Does the story stuff work well when playing with other people? I liked the conversations and story in the beta but I don't know if it would be better or worse if you play with a friend all the time.

Perfectly as long as you aren't playing with the same class. In your story missions only your decisions count, in side quests there is a roll system for who gets each line of dialogue. Some of the throwaway lines are much better when made fun of with friends (Story dialogue is usually much better than the sidequest filler stuff).

If you play the same base class you'd have to do all the story stuff twice or separately though.

Story stuff is mainly designed to be played as single player, you can play it with others, it doesn't really change anything about the storyline content outside of making it easier.

I hate the cover system. It makes me want to bang my head into my keyboard and curse god for allowing it to be implemented. But I love my gunslinger so its a tradeoff.

What didn't you like about the characters? You know that the Operative/Scoundrel are exact mirror classes, right?

Have you played MMO's before? How familiar are you with MMO mechanics and what type of playstyle usually clicks with you? That's the best way to decide what class to pick; particularly Empire side all of the stories have their positive aspects (I get to see them all grouping with a BH/Inquis and playing an IA/Warrior)

I just wasn't having fun playing as them. That's all I can say about why I didn't like them. Their stories were interesting. Do you mean Bounty Hunter/Scoundrel? I tried both because I wanted that damn Jawa as a companion so I thought maybe I'd get into the other instead, lol.

The only MMO's I've played are Phantasy Star Online and Anarchy Online. But as I said in a previous post it's been almost a decade ago for both. Despite that, I still understand the basics of how they play. In Anarchy Online I loved playing as the Doctor and just supporting.

I just wasn't having fun playing as them. That's all I can say about why I didn't like them. Their stories were interesting. Do you mean Bounty Hunter/Scoundrel? I tried both because I wanted that damn Jawa as a companion so I thought maybe I'd get into the other instead, lol.

The only MMO's I've played are Phantasy Star Online and Anarchy Online. But as I said in a previous post it's been almost a decade ago for both. Despite that, I still understand the basics of how they play. In Anarchy Online I loved playing as the Doctor and just supporting.

I can see where you are coming from, MMO's have a distinct style of play and can be boring. The only thing keeping me interested outside of playing with my fellow co-workers is the storyline and how well constructed the whole project is.

The polish is amazing and honestly I think bioware set the standard for how MMO's have to do quests in the future.

TheYanger

Which I think is a complete joke because it's only a 10% speed increase. Like wtf?
It is also harder to be knocked off of, which is the REAL perk. It's amazing. It's also not that expensive, credits inflate rapidly as you level.

You will use only 4-5 skills anyway(may be a few more for skills with ~1 min++ cooldown)
This is so wrong it hurts.

TOR is relatively light on skill bloat, I think. At least on Trooper (only 3 skills I don't have on my bar).

LoTRO was awful about it, though. Every class by cap had around 50 skills, and regularly used maybe a fifth of that.
I don't think you know what Skill Bloat is. It's not about worthless skills, it's about redundant skills where you use tons of them but they could easily have changed things around and had half as many to do the same shit. This game is AWFUL about it.

A DPS in TOR is only complicated if you make it so. Really you should only be using several abilities that work the best for you. Lot of the abilities are just situational or utility that you are not going to use often. For DPS you should just set up a simple rotation of abilities for yourself.

Tanking and healing is where it gets more complex as you have to manage lot more abilities and it's more like old school MMOs of having to be more attentive. Tanking is not simple aoe taunt spam here for example.
Even a 'simple rotation' is going to have full bars. Any dps that just sets up 5 buttons with some cooldowns is a terrible dps you don't want to group with. People who understand their utilities and strengths have always been better players.

My level 48 Vanguard has a 6 button 'single target rotation' sure, but then I've got 4 AEs of varying uses, taunt, ae taunt, pvp trinket, charge, death grip, single target stun, AE stun, Guard, Recharge Cells, Reserve Powercell, Stealth Scan, The situational but awesome Blitz, and 3 defensive cooldowns (smoke grenade, Reactive Shield and Adrenaline Rush). This is like as many buttons as my DK tank in wow, except worse. Do I really need 4 AEs? REALLY? Do they REALLY need to give me Basic Attack, Basic Attack x2 but costs ammo, Basic Attack x2 but gives ammo on a 15 second cooldown, Stockstrike (basic attack x3 that costs ammo and has a cooldown), and High Impact Bolt? (Basic Attack x3 with a slightly longer cooldown). That shit is so redundant. How will they ever add an interesting ability in an expansion? I'm out of useful keybinds and then some.

And no, it's not any better if I spec dps. They have just as many buttons.

usea

The interface in this game is so bad and so buggy, it's very frustrating. I can't imagine playing this game long term unless they do some massive fixing in the next month or two.

I picked Jedi shadow and up until lvl 17 I was questioning my decision then all my cool abilities started to kick in and I was making money and now I feel like a bad ass mofo. Lvl 28 and I'm soloing recommended group areas by dodging and weaving mobs while in stealth, CCing with mind maze and force lift and taking guys out one at a time. I never would have thought an MMO would be so thrilling but it can be.

erragal

Bounty Hunter and Smuggler aren't mirror classes even though they both get Jawa companions :) They have very different playstyles. I'm surprised you had zero fun with the BH at all, they get powerful, fun, thematic abilities fairly early on. If Death from Above wasn't a fun ability to use then hotkey MMO's may not click for you at all :/.

I do know that the Scoundrel/Operative doesn't get its good healing tools till level 20 and 30, and the Mercenary until 20. I never played AO so I'm not sure how their healer/support classes operated to give you a better reccommendation, but personally if you wanted to stick with one I'd suggest the mercenary due to a more straightforward healing style and more entertaining healing theme (healing missiles/bullets are always good fun).

Won

The planets get progressively better, and then get progressively worse again in my opinion. Not a fan of Voss at all.

And you are not at the bottom yet. I found Corellia downright offensive. So much driving through empty streets and tunnels.

TheYanger

And you are not at the bottom yet. I found Corellia downright offensive. So much driving through empty streets and tunnels.

Corellia is long but I dig the look and feel of it. Conversely, I thought Voss would be awful because it looks so drab, but the plot was badass and the Voss themselves are really interesting as a race.

Won

Corellia is long but I dig the look and feel of it. Conversely, I thought Voss would be awful because it looks so drab, but the plot was badass and the Voss themselves are really interesting as a race.

I think it looks amazing, but there is so much wasted space it's insane.

Bounty Hunter and Smuggler aren't mirror classes even though they both get Jawa companions :) They have very different playstyles. I'm surprised you had zero fun with the BH at all, they get powerful, fun, thematic abilities fairly early on. If Death from Above wasn't a fun ability to use then hotkey MMO's may not click for you at all :/.

I do know that the Scoundrel/Operative doesn't get its good healing tools till level 20 and 30, and the Mercenary until 20. I never played AO so I'm not sure how their healer/support classes operated to give you a better reccommendation, but personally if you wanted to stick with one I'd suggest the mercenary due to a more straightforward healing style and more entertaining healing theme (healing missiles/bullets are always good fun).

That's something that bothered me as a healer. When I played a Doctor in AO, right away I was needed and actually benefited a team. I felt like I contributed. As a healer in this I was feeling useless because everyone else was healing themselves just as well as I could.

oktarb

Same boat. Having trouble getting motivation to continue leveling my Sith beyond 14. I'm just not feeling inspired like back in the WoW days.

I think most people hit what I'm calling the Story Wall. Levels 1 -15 have story quests pretty packed together because you level quite a bit faster and thus you get absorbed in the class story. After 15 your leveling slows way down and thus the stroy arc does as well. You get more misc side quests as well which though voice acted still have that grind feel.

erragal

That's something that bothered me as a healer. When I played a Doctor in AO, right away I was needed and actually benefited a team. I felt like I contributed. As a healer in this I was feeling useless because everyone else was healing themselves just as well as I could.

A lot of that depends on the content you're doing. Running around doing story missions and basic side quests no one should need heals because it's designed to be done solo. That changes a lot when doing the quests marked as [Heroic 2] or [Heroic 4] and more significantly in the flashpoints or PVP warzones. When doing that content you go from a time saver to the person everyone blames for failing ;). I only like playing my healer in the hard content and he's the character that makes me miss dual spec the most.

AO was designed with a completely different mindset with far more stark specialization/role filling and much more mandatory grouping. Modern MMO's just don't cater to that playstyle anymore because the audience isn't profitable enough :/

Moaradin

I think most people hit what I'm calling the Story Wall. Levels 1 -15 have story quests pretty packed together because you level quite a bit faster and thus you get absorbed in the class story. After 15 your leveling slows way down and thus the stroy arc does as well. You get more misc side quests as well which though voice acted still have that grind feel.

1-15 your class story hardly even begins. You are mostly doing side plots then. The story doesn't get big until Act 2 for most classes.

Allard

1-15 your class story hardly even begins. You are mostly doing side plots then. The story doesn't get big until Act 2 for most classes.

Yeah noticed this during beta and noticed this on my Smuggler. Prologue are side quests, act 1 is the start of something bigger, its not till act 2 that the real action begins, sucks that it takes so long to get to it, but it is nice when you do. It does make certain worlds feel like more of a grind then ever though as 'most' (not all) the side-quests fail in comparison and you suddenly feel hindered by your level. The other thing is some act 1 stories are better then others with the pacing. Smuggler act 1 sucks compared Jedi Knight. Smuggler really, really feels like one long fetch quest while the Jedi Knight one feels like you are trying to solve a galactic threat and there are constant 'turns' in the narrative as you go from planet to planet, yet objectively they are both the same, its just one hides it better then the other.

Lain

If someone knows, there is something I really need to know about this game.
Will Bioware implement (or is there already) a way for user to set some simple macros for the game, like being able to cast heals on targets you are hovering over with your mouse?
I simply can't function without a way to do mouse hover healing.
Targeting and re-targeting and re-targeting, with my target sometimes witching while I'm spamming heals and I'm not sure why/how it happened drives me sort of crazy.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The exp gain from PVP and from the space missions is no joke. I was messing around with those for awhile and now I've outleveled my main story missions. Im level 24 on Taris (Jedi Knight), and all the mobs and quests are grey. Guess I will just do the main story quest to hurry up and advance it and skip the side quests here. Whooops.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I think it looks amazing, but there is so much wasted space it's insane.

I haven't gotten there but by wasted space I assume you mean areas that aren't quest related? If so then personally I'd much rather wasted space than small planets where every inch of the map is only there to serve the purpose of a quest. It makes it seem like you're playing on a movie set instead of being in an actual place.

I like MMOs that feel epic in scope, part of which, for me, means actually having to journey places.

A lot of that depends on the content you're doing. Running around doing story missions and basic side quests no one should need heals because it's designed to be done solo. That changes a lot when doing the quests marked as [Heroic 2] or [Heroic 4] and more significantly in the flashpoints or PVP warzones. When doing that content you go from a time saver to the person everyone blames for failing ;). I only like playing my healer in the hard content and he's the character that makes me miss dual spec the most.

AO was designed with a completely different mindset with far more stark specialization/role filling and much more mandatory grouping. Modern MMO's just don't cater to that playstyle anymore because the audience isn't profitable enough :/

Then I guess that's my problem, haha. I'm too use to everyone having one role and depending on others. I'm going to stick with this game and hopefully it clicks.

What's funny, is now that I think about it, I remember back when I played AO and wishing everyone could sort of do a bit of everything and not rely totally on others. It sucked spending hours looking for a team and wishing I could just solo.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If someone knows, there is something I really need to know about this game.
Will Bioware implement (or is there already) a way for user to set some simple macros for the game, like being able to cast heals on targets you are hovering over with your mouse?
I simply can't function without a way to do mouse hover healing.
Targeting and re-targeting and re-targeting, with my target sometimes witching while I'm spamming heals and I'm not sure why/how it happened drives me sort of crazy.

I'm not sure about multiple targets but you can have a focus target (I think it's ctrl t to set it) and then while you're targeted on something else you hold End to switch to your focus target and then let go to go back. At least I think that's how it works, my gf is using that for healing. Check your key bindings for Focus Target.

oktarb

I wish someone had slapped me upside the head and told me how profitable slicing was before the nerf. I could use a cred buffer, I'm always flat broke.

lol, 14? Not even sure why you would want to play an MMO if you're going to give up about 10 hours into a game; especially a game that demands a good amount of commitment. I mean, I was personally hooked right away, but not going past the adolescent stage in any mmo is more a sign of you having a problem with the MMO genre more than anything.

Realyn

So, after a Mage in WoW and a Healer in WAR I rolled a tank soldat and am lvl 12 right now.

I´m really curious how a ranged tank wll work. Hope they aren´t utter crap. Any experience ?

Ken

Is the Vanguard skill No Retreat broken? Was in a party last night and going into combat disabled it from being activated, but returned to normal when out of combat despite it saying "usable in combat."

Zeal

Banned
Your story has barely become interesting, try making it to Level 20-21 and getting off your 2nd planet and things should pick up (space combat, broader story, better armors)

For me it was a drag to go from 14-17 on Trooper then it hit into high gear and I went from 17-21 in one night and had to force myself to stop playing

This all sounds much better, thanks. I'm gonna power level a bit then until I get off the planet with the Empire's capital city. This place is just very boring in terms of story and quests.

Top Bottom