• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah I'm feeling the 'wasteland' issue as well. I think the main problem is interaction related. The places are too sterile and have very limited dynamic movement and next to zero objects to interact with that don't have a specific purpose, and what purpose they have is limited to a one time event. The only thing that changes this up is the datacrons but they are so few and far between that they hardly make up for the amount of space that is there. I like endless expanses, but only if there is something that can distract me and make me wonder 'what could have been' while going through them. Take even SWG for instance, you went through the land and came up with 'dreams' of owning a specific plot of land to make a house, or assist a guild in a city.

That is an extreme example, but there is something else I find sorely lacking that at first I was ok with given their 'explanation' for it. The lack of day and night cycles is something they NEED to rectify in the future. At first I didn't notice it, but as you stay on these planets for a good 4-8 hours or more you begin to feel like every place on the planet is the same, the experience no matter when you play it is the same, nothing changes. At least with a day and night cycle a planet can potentially feel different as you play in different areas. With the instancing of planets to only allow a certain amount of people in at a time, and the sameness feel going from place to place really makes this game feel like a cut out without a soul. There is nothing about these places that make them feel like an actual 'world' despite the careful attention to artistic detail, it feels like you are just in a large box with some very intentionally placed objects, and once you finish using those objects the planet becomes damn near useless.

I hope they bring some more "MMO" like elements into the game in the future, even during the lower level areas. Stuff where they are just there for you to interact with and may or may not advance your character in level, but are there to stylize the world and make you feel part of it, like you don't actually mind spending time on the world for something other then just leveling. Could be a mini-game, could be even some 'grind' quests you can do at the higher levels, something, anything to make the worlds feel more organic and less intentional and wasteful.

While I love the game and I'm extremely addicted at the moment, I agree with all your points. The lack of a day night cycle is especially depressing. At least if there were changes to the lighting over the course of the day the worlds would feel much more alive. Instead whenever you go somewhere it's always exactly the same and once you're done with a planet you have little reason to go back.

Hopefully this can be remedied at some point.

FStop7

Banned
I know. I purposefully was looking for them and saw 1 during my time there.

I found a legit path into one of the Heroic quest areas for the Republic side on Nar Shaddaa. I stealthed and after a minute or two I came across a group of 3 Republic players who were fighting their way through the mobs. I seriously considered jumping them but thought better of it because even with the "help" of the NPC mobs and my companion I doubted I could take out all 3 of them, particularly since one was a healer. But it was pretty cool in that they were super close by and never saw me lurking in the shadows. If only the game offered more moments like that. I think that would have given them a true "Star Wars" moment to have a fairly powerful Sith unexpectedly attack.

Anno

Ah, nice. It looks like if you ready Snipe and then queue the explosive probe the Snipe will actually set it off. Nice little burst of damage to open a fight.

Azzurri

The way this game is structured up to lvl 32 I have seen 1 member of the opposite faction in non war zone content..

I've seen maybe 10 republic, and I'm on a PvP server, and one of the most populated PvP server, no problem with ganking or anything.

bengraven

It's easy to go back to something you already have uber characters and total understanding of. I hope SWTOR doesn't loose too many people because of that.

That's why I think sub MMOs are doomed in America. I think there's a large crowd that's basically only playing WoW and if WoW ever failed, they would never play another MMO again. These people are completely against another MMO.

That's why I think sub MMOs are doomed in America. I think there's a large crowd that's basically only playing WoW and if WoW ever failed, they would never play another MMO again. These people are completely against another MMO.

Not to derail but whats that make the people that keep going back to the easy button really like in life?

I for one welcome the fact that we are all running around with our heads up our asses on playing the classes and at the moment there is not a guide on how to insta play anything. Also who has not grown up wanting to be part of the Star Wars universe.

People can go back to their goblins, and space cows and wait to play pandas. I am having a blast in the unkown.

Anno

I'm sure that contingent exists. Honestly, that's why I'd like to see TOR not move so staunchly in the way of end-game raids and the usual stuff that those people like. Instead I'd like to see them focus on story and world broadening as well as 1-2 group content that everyone can enjoy. I think there are a lot of people looking for MMOs that are more about the journey than the destination (myself included) who aren't currently being very well served.

frequency

The emptiness thing is really starting to bother me. It makes me feel like there's no one really playing this game. The number on the top left of my screen says Corusant: 172. I assume that's how many people there are. For how big this area is, 172 is too few. I don't think I've ever seen more than like 3 players on screen at the same time. Underpopulated MMOs depress me.

Also, I hate how my characters hair clips through her own head if I jump or make sudden movements or whatever...

oktarb

Not to derail but whats that make the people that keep going back to the easy button really like in life?

I for one welcome the fact that we are all running around with our heads up our asses on playing the classes and at the moment there is not a guide on how to insta play anything. Also who has not grown up wanting to be part of the Star Wars universe.

People can go back to their goblins, and space cows and wait to play pandas. I am having a blast in the unkown.

I couldn't agree more. SWTOR is the first MMO where I stop to smell the roses. I don't care about maximum efficiency. If I want to use death From Above I damn well will. The old a MMO gets the more min/maxing comes into play. I personally run from that like a cat being cased by a waterdog monster.

I totally get the "I'm getting bored" crowd. I love this game and it's very well designed, but I kind of feel like I'm going through the motions. I went to
Coruscant
almost right after leaving Tython and now it looks like I'm stuck here until I finish the story. WTF? In WoW I had the freedom to wander wherever I liked as soon as the game started. Sure, the enemies might rip me to shreds, but at least I could go.

You can do go wherever you want after you finish Coruscant and get your ship. People need to stop ripping certain aspects of the game they haven't experienced yet because a lot of the content is shaped somewhat like a SP game. The MMO aspects of freedom are there, the earlier levels are simply more stringently structured. The game overall is certainly not a structured like a traditional MMO though which can give the wasteland effect. Hopefully as people get up to 50 the hub zones will become more populated because right now it seems people are scattered all over the place.

NeoCross

So what class should I roll if I want to mainly be a healer? I've always enjoyed healing in MMOs.

Once I get this hopefully today gonna go Empire and join gaf in their adventures in space.

oktarb

So what class should I roll if I want to mainly be a healer? I've always enjoyed healing in MMOs.

Once I get this hopefully today gonna go Empire and join gaf in their adventures in space.

From the 1st post:

Which classes can be healers?
Jedi Sage/Sith Sorceror
Commando/Mercenary
Scoundrel/Operative

No healer has truly stood out from the rest so go with the vibe you want.

Jrmint

Can higher level Gunslingers give me some feedback on my priority/rotation currently while leveling? Level 14 right now.

Open with Aimed Shot
Charged Shot + CS buff
Toss Sabotage Charge
Charged Again
repeat for the most part.

In AoE I'll open with Thermal and Blinding Grenade and then single target.

Am I missing out on really effective abilities?

frequency

So I tried a bit of Jedi Knight. The starting area is so dull for them. But all these random quests seem to make more sense.

On my smuggler, I'm finding most of these quests just don't really make any sense. It's like... I'm a smuggler! Why are these random military and political people asking a shady character like me for help with super important stuff? And why does my smuggler companion only like it when I'm super nice and non-jerky to people? Agh...

I'm mainly playing for the story right now. I'm enjoying the main story quests for my smuggler so far, but all these side quests really break the immersion for me. The Jedi story is... well... a Jedi story. Does it ever become something more?

So I tried a bit of Jedi Knight. The starting area is so dull for them. But all these random quests seem to make more sense.

On my smuggler, I'm finding most of these quests just don't really make any sense. It's like... I'm a smuggler! Why are these random military and political people asking a shady character like me for help with super important stuff? And why does my smuggler companion only like it when I'm super nice and non-jerky to people? Agh...

I'm mainly playing for the story right now. I'm enjoying the main story quests for my smuggler so far, but all these side quests really break the immersion for me. The Jedi story is... well... a Jedi story. Does it ever become something more?

They don't see you as any shadier than their current co-workers. Have you seen some of the sleazeballs that you end up helping?

frequency

They don't see you as any shadier than their current co-workers. Have you seen some of the sleazeballs that you end up helping?

But it's not like every soldier is corrupt or anything. It just doesn't make much sense that a smuggler (a criminal!) is entrusted with such important republic tasks. Even if other people are just as shady, it would still be more logical to give these super important tasks to a soldier or something (who may or may not be corrupt) than an obvious outlaw. It's also a bit silly to me that my character apparently cares so much about the republic.

I guess there's no other way to do it. These quests would make sense for the Jedi and the Trooper, so I shouldn't expect them to make special quests/custom dialog just for the smuggler.

Anno

Through the first few levels I can see the BH heading in a similar direction. I rationalize it by assuming my dude is good at what he does and would do anything for the right price. I'm happy at the differences between the dialogue between my IA and BH, though. They might lead to the same place, but the different lines make repeating quests a bit more bearable.

Edit: Also, it's absurd how much difference having a companion that I like makes. Unfortunately the classes I like least tend to have the best early companions. Bounty Hunter seems like a fun class, though, and Mako is more interesting than most. I find it odd that an astromech droid might be one of the better written characters in the game...or at least one with the most personality.

Mastamind

Can higher level Gunslingers give me some feedback on my priority/rotation currently while leveling? Level 14 right now.

Open with Aimed Shot
Charged Shot + CS buff
Toss Sabotage Charge
Charged Again
repeat for the most part.

In AoE I'll open with Thermal and Blinding Grenade and then single target.

Am I missing out on really effective abilities?

at 39:
aimed shot
instant trickshot (normal mobs are dead by now)
charged shot
speed shot
charged shot
trickshot

Since trickshot i truthfully havent really needed my aoe skills, normal mobs go down so fast its hilarious. If strongs or elites are in the mix i focus on the weakest mobs first which still have me mainly doing single target damage.

Mastamind

Hate to quote myself, but could someone please answer this?

hate to quote the OP but...

Guilds
GAF: North American Republic on Keller's Void

Leader: CzarTim (Jaina, Trooper)

Officer: Billychu (Saayli, Smuggler)

Officer: Trouble (Sylas, Jedi Shadow)

Officer: The_Inquisitor (CharName, Class)

Officer: Jbird34 (Jbird, Jedi Knight)

Officer: cartoon_soldier (Kumar, Jedi Consular)

Alex

I wound up liking the early Sith stuff quite a bit, really fun characters in both of those stories thus far. Didn't like any of the Jedi stuff... I just don't like Jedi, they're just way too boring and stoic.

Agent still rules the roost, though.

daebo

So, I just got the game and looking to play on the same server. I was checking the main page and saw only two guys listed on the Sith Empire... is the gaf guild lacking or should I roll a republic character?

If the empire is thriving and kicking I'd like to go there. But if not, then I'd like to go with an active thriving guild with the republic.

Lain

Even after the patch the other day, I still find un-harvestable (scavenging) nodes. The only difference from before is that when I hover the mouse over it now, it is targettable, just not usable/harvestable.
Is it just me, or does it happen to others too?

Carm

Hate to quote myself, but could someone please answer this?

so way b4 this game came out all i wanted to do was b a marauder...i got one up to lvl 33 and got so bored with that class....i mean the story so far is awesome but marauders take waayyyy too much damage even when ur using quinn ur still gettin messed up....i did every single quest so far which had me going to all the planets over leveled and i was still just getting messed up. so i decided to roll an inquisitor sorcerer lightning spec and now im just destroying everything in my path with no problem and ive gotta say im having a blast. way more fun than marauders imo. my marauder will deff b sitting in a cantina collecting rest xp until they get a much needed buff.

also i still see people asking how to join our gaf empire guild on KV since the OT still hasnt been updated to show who our officers are. just whisper either villeon (or his alt basif), sciion (which is myself and Dignus is my alt), Alicar (somnia is his alt), verigan, or sona. sorry if i forgot any other officers. just whisper any one of us in game and give us your gaf name so we can verify its you. :)

Guilds
GAF: North American Republic on Keller's Void

Leader: CzarTim (Jaina, Trooper)

Officer: Billychu (Saayli, Smuggler)

Officer: Trouble (Sylas, Jedi Shadow)

Officer: The_Inquisitor (CharName, Class)

Officer: Jbird34 (Jbird, Jedi Knight)

Officer: cartoon_soldier (Kumar, Jedi Consular)

Kettch

In regards to all the empty space and similar comments: Did you all know that every single NPC that cannot be targeted (nothing happens when you mouse-over them either) are actually in your client and only because you have a decent rig. They do not exist in the servers at all and if someone is playing the game with a shitty steam-machine era computer, they don't see them. Kinda neat technology, but damn I'm glad my PC is a beast.

In the first beta build I played, every NPC in the game was targetable with a name (even if just a generic "Spaceport Employee"). Then they removed that from about 90% of them to what it is currently.

It's nice to know that they did it for a useful reason I guess, but the world felt so much more alive when I could click on any NPC and see who it was. Was the biggest disappointment to me among the changes made. :/

I don't care too much about the quests of the smuggler. But each time that I make a sarcastic answer, Corso get angry. Man, grow a little of humor.

I hate how nobody really tell me how I will be payed. In each quest always is "Yes, I'll make it, for a good price" "Of course, you'll get an big reward for this". Big reward? Come on, I saved Coruscant and you gave me some boots!!

And I don't know about this graphic autoadjust. But I have set the graphics in high and some textures seems PS1 era. When I got my ship back, there was a cinematic showing me the ship, with a epic tune and the graphics were like in a PS1 game..

Alex

At first that shit was getting on my nerves now it's just an injoke to us.

"DO THIS FOR ME, AND I WILL MAKE YOU WEALTHY BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS"

*an hour later, a letter comes with 22 credits attached*

hamchan

So, I just got the game and looking to play on the same server. I was checking the main page and saw only two guys listed on the Sith Empire... is the gaf guild lacking or should I roll a republic character?

If the empire is thriving and kicking I'd like to go there. But if not, then I'd like to go with an active thriving guild with the republic.

Empire guild is alive and kicking. It's just that the the first post REALLY needs to be updated. It's been like that for a while now.

Choc

Banned
At first that shit was getting on my nerves now it's just an injoke to us.

"DO THIS FOR ME, AND I WILL MAKE YOU WEALTHY BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS"

*an hour later, a letter comes with 22 credits attached*

after the slicing nerf that's a lot of money :p

Ganhyun

I enjoy this game :) Now, does anyone have a good mouse they can recommend to use for less than 35 dollars? Id rather not spend more than that if I can help it.

Alex

I enjoy this game :) Now, does anyone have a good mouse they can recommend to use for less than 35 dollars? Id rather not spend more than that if I can help it.

MX518 is always the answer! You can usually find one some where for that price.

Ganhyun

MX518 is always the answer! You can usually find one some where for that price.

This a logitech mouse?

My last mouse was a LX8 but it broke when a friend accidentally managed to sit on it and break something on the inside.

Edit: Also, wow, that mouse is 58$ new on Amazon. lol did they stop making it or something?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
even other forums state the same thing, the worlds feel barren. what gives?
the worlds are instanced and are very large. They usually have 2 instances on each planet. But i have noticed that there are no more instances on the Republic Fleet, feels like a very busy city nowadays.

vaelic

Banned
the worlds are instanced and are very large. They usually have 2 instances on each planet. But i have noticed that there are no more instances on the Republic Fleet, feels like a very busy city nowadays.

yea but , I was on tattoine the other day with 2 instances running with only 45 people each in it. why???

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yea but , I was on tattoine the other day with 2 instances running with only 45 people each in it. why???
the game has only been officially out for 9 days. Most people are still probably in the lower lvls.

Top Bottom