• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

TheYanger

Where do you guys go to do the modding of your gear back to old looks? Is it the "Item Modification" npcs? I haven't been able to figure it out personally.

you don't mod gear to look like something, you mod gear you like the looks of to have stats you want. You can socket/unsocket mods by ctrl+right clicking a moddable item. The only FULLY moddable items are orange ones, those are what you want.

Acheteedo

Took me a solid day and half to get the game running. Hellish, PC gaming FTL. But now it's running! My first MMO since PSO on the Dreamcast, I'm already hooked.

Me and a friend are playing and neither of us is a tank, is that foolish if we just plan to play as a duo?

eznark

Banned
Post in general chat at the Imperial Fleet, "[Your role (tank, healer, or DPS)] LFG [flashpoint]"

It's the best way.

Or in guild chat, if you're in the GAF guild.

And when he says post, he means spam the channel. Over and over again.

Nearly hour looking for a group for Cademimu with no luck. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

I really wish they would at least give us a global LFG channel so I could do something besides sit in the fleet crafting my credits away while trying to get a group.

You can either ask in general chat using /1 then your message or ask if anyone wants to group up for it in /guild. GAF guild should always have somebody around your level to group with for that flashpoint otherwise you have to ask in general chat.

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was some easier way than spamming chat. Seems like I've been hearing about some new cool way that WoW does it, and I feel like Warhammer did it in interesting ways as well.

Oh well.

Sillverrr

I was playing this religiously for over a week, but once I got my Legacy surname at level 30 I completely lost interest, and I haven't logged in for two days.

The storyline did grip me, but it's not enough to contend with the lack of variety. The whole experience just feels hollow. Every quest is a kill quest (with bonus quests to kill more mobs!), and every planet is experiencing a near-identical civil war.

However great Taris seemed because of the continuation of the Rakghoul thread from the original KOTOR, the environments across planets are for the most part ugly and bland. Special mention goes to Nar Shaddaa, for being a tedious, orange-hued corridor run from quest giver to quest giver. By the time I hit this world I was already bored stiff of the side quests, and focused on the storyline quest to get Chewie as quickly as possible (I play a Smuggler).

I have to give special dispensation to Tatooine. As someone mentioned earlier, they nailed this one. It's also the first 'open' planet (or at least, there's a wider expanse in which to manoeuvre) and you reacher speeder riding level around this point, so I'm sure that's part of the novelty. However, this zone felt outstanding in terms of the unique assets and overall atmosphere. It's not just nostalgia speaking either. This *is* Star Wars.

Off to Alderaan afterwards. Major disappointment. BORING stretches of long road and generic snowy alpine countryside. Seemed even longer distances to travel than Tatooine.

And the next planet - Balmorra? - I stepped off the shuttle, took one look at the hideously barren landscape, and used my emergency fleet shuttle pass to go back to the Republic Fleet, from whence I haven't moved except to queue up for a few warzones.

The warzones are fun enough as a Smuggler Scoundrel, but there's only three of them, plus they nerfed the experience in the recent patch. It's as though they don't want us to have fun.

I have burned out badly and it's a complete shock to me. I had every intention of rolling multiple classes, but the thought of killing the same mobs and doing the same horrible quests again puts me off even bothering.

I only play World of Warcraft at the beginning of expansion packs these days, but this horrible mess of a game is making me appreciate the genius of Blizzard. It's a rare game where I can't even be bothered to reach the level cap on one character.

I'm kind of surprised to see people saying the world feel barren. For me, every quest I do, there is at least 5-6 other people in the vicinity completing the same quest. People are always talking in general chat no matter what zone I'm in.

Varna

I'm kind of surprised to see people saying the world feel barren. For me, every quest I do, there is at least 5-6 other people in the vicinity completing the same quest. People are always talking in general chat no matter what zone I'm in.

Sounds like this is for the later areas. First two planets have had decent enough population.

I really don't like instancing though. I know my logic is flawed, but it just makes me feel like I'm being ripped off. As far as the way it's handling everything is remind me of Guild Wars, which was designed that way to avoid a monthly fee. I read a few post mentioning these instances would be expanded after the launch window... I really hope this is true.

5 or 6 people in an mmo is kind of barren, man.

Interfectum

I really don't like instancing though. I know my logic is flawed, but it just makes me feel like I'm being ripped off. As far as the way it's handling everything is remind me of Guild Wars, which was designed that way to avoid a monthly fee.

Whether it's instanced or not there are still tens of thousands of players hitting Bioware's servers at any given time. Instancing the worlds doesn't save Bioware money.

Interfectum

5 or 6 people in an mmo is kind of barren, man.

I see a shitload of people at different choke points in the game. The imperial fleet always has people running around everywhere.

It's not like any given area in WoW is full of people either. They are all in Stormwind queuing for dungeons and raids.

It is a WoW-troll comment TBH. There I said it!

For me it has been perfect... I don't like MMOs where there are 5 players every square meter. LOTRO has sweeping big landscapes as well. Feels so much more like a real world. Besides there are always people hanging out in the quest hubs and towns and not so many in the "wilderness". AS IT SHOULD BE!

I don’t really have an issue with the sparsely populated areas, but that’s probably because I’m a singleplayer guy first. Which is totally how I’m playing the game anyway, outside of Flashpoints and a couple Heroic quests here and there. And when I’m in a hugely populated area, like the Imperial Fleet, my framerate seems to take a shit anyway. General chat totally sucks. I think as long as you have a few good guild mates or friends that play the game, the lack of a giant group of people everywhere you go shouldn’t be that big of an issue.

Yes, I know that is defeating the point of an MMO, but I would've been fine with a KOTOR3 and this seems to be the closest we'll ever get to that.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

For me it has been perfect... I don't like MMOs where there are 5 players every square meter. LOTRO has sweeping big landscapes as well. Feels so much more like a real world. Besides there are always people hanging out in the quest hubs and towns and not so many in the "wilderness". AS IT SHOULD BE!

Yeah, when I'm out questing I like seeing the odd person about just to remind me this is a huge world with other people playing the same one, and then nice bustling cities. But not loads of people out in the barrens.

hamchan

Yeah I think WoW is pretty damn empty too most of the time in the questing areas. You don't stay in one specific area very long after all, like 10-20 mins to grind some mobs and items most of the time. I do think that there are more people in WoW's major cities then I've seen in the Imperial Fleet.

CzarTim

Yeah I think WoW is pretty damn empty too most of the time in the questing areas. You don't stay in one specific area very long after all, like 10-20 mins to grind some mobs and items most of the time. I do think that there are more people in WoW's major cities then I've seen in the Imperial Fleet.

People are still leveling. Once people hit 50 I suspect the fleet will be packed.

Blitzzz

I've found general chat on planets to be quite useful and not a mess compared to wow. Probably because most people are levelling and not as many bored idiots on yet.

All the heroics and flashpoints I've done have been through someone asking on general chat or some guy just wandering around the same area as me. Don't have much issues with the player community here.

Walshicus

nothing.... I heard it's a remnant of the beta system and just weren't removed from the game

someone correct me if I'm wrong

Yeah, I asked the same question ages back. I spent hours looking for a modding station on Taris!

Seems like it'd be worth having a few around if they negated or reduced the credit cost of retrieving old components.

It's not a troll comment, don't be an idiot. It's natural for people to compare this game to wow since it's copied so much from WoW. And this game does seem quite a bit more barren that wow does because of the instancing. This isn't really something that's arguable and it isn't trolling.

LiK

could the officers for the guild put everyone's GAF name in the member notes? would be easier to follow and maybe plan up here, imo. I only see a handful have their names in member notes.

CzarTim

could the officers for the guild put everyone's GAF name in the member notes? would be easier to follow and maybe plan up here, imo. I only see a handful have their names in member notes.

We try to add them when people say who they are, but not going to force anyone to do it.

nothing.... I heard it's a remnant of the beta system and just weren't removed from the game

someone correct me if I'm wrong
correct

Zafir

It really does depend on how many instances there are for the area you're in I think. I mean questing through Voss yesterday, there was only one instance, and you could tell. I bumped into a tonne of other players, some of which caused us to wait for quest objectives. Not only that, I also bumped into quite a few pvp enabled republic players.

vaelic

Banned

5-6 ppl? LOL, this is supposed to be MASSIVE

KrawlMan

I just made a Jedi Knight and got my companion (T7), but I chose the wrong color customization (definitely not the one I thought I chose). Is there a way to buy those color customizations somewhere else?

I saw the security key vendor has one, but that's almost a complete remodel of the unit, I was just looking for the red coloring on the default model.

Note he said the same quest. I would be miserable having to fight any more than that for the same exact quest mobs.

Interfectum

5-6 people in the same vicinity completing the same quest isn't enough for you in am MMO? How many people do you want to see on your same quest? 100?

Go level in WoW and see how many people are doing the same quest as you.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
5-6 people in the same vicinity completing the same quest isn't enough for you in am MMO? How many people do you want to see on your same quest? 100?

Go level in WoW and see how many people are doing the same quest as you.

Amusingly me and my friend was doing a quest which had about 10 people having waiting in the area and doing the same thing. This has only happened once so far (currently level 21) but it wasn't that much of a hassle as we all did the item fetch in turns in a nice orderly fashion. I wouldn't of got that in WOW in the past. Curious though, Interfectum, what have been your thoughts with Biowares treatment on the old republic and as an RPG to you?

CzarTim

Major story spoilers for the lvl 40s Trooper mission A-77:

Having to choose between the prisoners and Jaxo was so fucking hard. The 'right' choice was obvious, but I sat there for five minutes trying to decide. If I could do it again, I'd save her :-(

Interfectum

Amusingly me and my friend was doing a quest which had about 10 people having waiting in the area and doing the same thing. This has only happened once so far (currently level 21) but it wasn't that much of a hassle as we all did the item fetch in turns in a nice orderly fashion. I wouldn't of got that in WOW in the past. Curious though, Interfectum, what have been your thoughts with Biowares treatment on the old republic and as an RPG to you?

I think it's a pretty good attempt at an MMO with a story. You can tell the Austin team has quite a bit of talent in this area. I'm not really getting all the "barren MMO" complaints. I see enough people out in the world and too many more would make it annoying to quest. Maybe it's the fact that some stages are so huge that they almost have hollow, empty feel to it. Oversized doorways, extremely wide roads / paths, etc. Not sure why they designed it like that.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's a pretty good attempt at an MMO with a story. You can tell the Austin team has quite a bit of talent in this area. I'm not really getting all the "barren MMO" complaints. I see enough people out in the world and too many more would make it annoying to quest. Maybe it's the fact that some stages are so huge that they almost have hollow, empty feel to it. Oversized doorways, extremely wide roads / paths, etc. Not sure why they designed it like that.

I think the artists and designers have crafted a believable scale when you reflect to the character and the environment around him/her, and definitely did a good job on making the planets feel alive and unique to each other. I've not got any of the barren complaints either because usually I can hear battles happening in the distance somewhere in the area - the audio in the game is fantastic and probably the best in the MMO space.

joelseph

I was playing this religiously for over a week, but once I got my Legacy surname at level 30 I completely lost interest, and I haven't logged in for two days.

The storyline did grip me, but it's not enough to contend with the lack of variety. The whole experience just feels hollow. Every quest is a kill quest (with bonus quests to kill more mobs!), and every planet is experiencing a near-identical civil war.

However great Taris seemed because of the continuation of the Rakghoul thread from the original KOTOR, the environments across planets are for the most part ugly and bland. Special mention goes to Nar Shaddaa, for being a tedious, orange-hued corridor run from quest giver to quest giver. By the time I hit this world I was already bored stiff of the side quests, and focused on the storyline quest to get Chewie as quickly as possible (I play a Smuggler).

I have to give special dispensation to Tatooine. As someone mentioned earlier, they nailed this one. It's also the first 'open' planet (or at least, there's a wider expanse in which to manoeuvre) and you reacher speeder riding level around this point, so I'm sure that's part of the novelty. However, this zone felt outstanding in terms of the unique assets and overall atmosphere. It's not just nostalgia speaking either. This *is* Star Wars.

Off to Alderaan afterwards. Major disappointment. BORING stretches of long road and generic snowy alpine countryside. Seemed even longer distances to travel than Tatooine.

And the next planet - Balmorra? - I stepped off the shuttle, took one look at the hideously barren landscape, and used my emergency fleet shuttle pass to go back to the Republic Fleet, from whence I haven't moved except to queue up for a few warzones.

The warzones are fun enough as a Smuggler Scoundrel, but there's only three of them, plus they nerfed the experience in the recent patch. It's as though they don't want us to have fun.

I have burned out badly and it's a complete shock to me. I had every intention of rolling multiple classes, but the thought of killing the same mobs and doing the same horrible quests again puts me off even bothering.

I only play World of Warcraft at the beginning of expansion packs these days, but this horrible mess of a game is making me appreciate the genius of Blizzard. It's a rare game where I can't even be bothered to reach the level cap on one character.

This post nails my feelings on the questing in this game. Gonna stick it out though.

People are still leveling. Once people hit 50 I suspect the fleet will be packed.

Fleet for Empire on my server is packed all the time, and its the place that runs the worst for me of all the places in game. My FPS just drops to crap in the fleet with all the people in it and companions.

Ironically on the Rep side on the same server, the fleet is EMPTY

Azzurri

Fleet for Empire on my server is packed all the time, and its the place that runs the worst for me of all the places in game. My FPS just drops to crap in the fleet with all the people in it and companions.

Ironically on the Rep side on the same server, the fleet is EMPTY

Imperial Fleet on my server is ALWAYS full, around 200 people no matter what time.

I just made a Jedi Knight and got my companion (T7), but I chose the wrong color customization (definitely not the one I thought I chose). Is there a way to buy those color customizations somewhere else?

I saw the security key vendor has one, but that's almost a complete remodel of the unit, I was just looking for the red coloring on the default model

Not sure if its the same for rebels but the only planet I have found the customisations for sale (including all the original choices) for imperials is Taris, might want to try and head there later when you have a ship.

Edit: Lol rebels, republic or whatever you scum call yourself etc

TheYanger

Major story spoilers for the lvl 40s Trooper mission A-77:

Having to choose between the prisoners and Jaxo was so fucking hard. The 'right' choice was obvious, but I sat there for five minutes trying to decide. If I could do it again, I'd save her :-(

Don't regret your choice:
I saved her, and amusingly I saved her, saw a -249 rep with Dorne (!!!) and escaped out, unsummoned Dorne, and restarted the conversation. She's very thankful, but then after the mission is extremely shaken knowing all of those deaths were to save her, says she needs time and some therapy, etc. Then a day later sends you an in game mail with no punctuation about how her life is awful and she wishes it never happened and its her fault that everyone died...etc etc. And you get some shitty like level 35 barrel or something. i REALLY hope they write her back in if you saved her, at some point. If not....what a waste.

On another trooper related note, I just hit level 50 finally.
Havoc Squad Assemble!
H4Qgj.jpg

Wish I'd been to ilum to get Forex his customization before that :( Both of his look amazing.

Not sure if its the same for rebels but the only planet I have found the customisations for sale (including all the original choices) for imperials is Taris, might want to try and head there later when you have a ship.
It's Balmorra for pubbies. Taris and Balmorra swap their place in the order depending on faction.

datamage

Yeah, the choices are bugged for that quest. I did not receive the correct item twice now. (Originally went the Sentinel route then decided to do Guardian.)

I submitted a ticket the first time and they said I could request a replacement item. (Though it would count towards 1 of my 3 replacement item requests.) The second time I submitted the ticket, they said they would look into it, but never heard anything past that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fc79BNC-zI

Any operative getting this? Bugged Kolto Injection.

This is the worst bug for me. Gets me killed all the time. I don't even know how it's possible to raid with this bug if my heals start to fail.

Hmm - I think this may have happened to me a few times, but not in consecutive attempts like that. I know I have experienced something similar when in group quests but at the time I just thought I had moved my character at the last moment... I will have to keep an eye out for this.

Top Bottom