• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

CzarTim

Don't regret your choice:
I saved her, and amusingly I saved her, saw a -249 rep with Dorne (!!!) and escaped out, unsummoned Dorne, and restarted the conversation. She's very thankful, but then after the mission is extremely shaken knowing all of those deaths were to save her, says she needs time and some therapy, etc. Then a day later sends you an in game mail with no punctuation about how her life is awful and she wishes it never happened and its her fault that everyone died...etc etc. And you get some shitty like level 35 barrel or something. i REALLY hope they write her back in if you saved her, at some point. If not....what a waste.

Thanks for telling me this, makes me feel a little better. I've never been so shaken by a choice in a video game before. I think it's because this will be my character forever, choices like that have huge weight.

Dorrin

I'm still suffering from altitis. I now have the following on Thana Vesh:

1) Commando Healer - 19
2) Sorcerer Madness(but forced to heal) - 14
3) Marauder - 14 - in hindsight I wish I had gone juggernaut
4) Sniper - 12 - I'm really enjoying this.

Lower level Flashpoints seem abandoned, took forever to get a group for Hammer Station during prime time. Are we already starting in on that skip the lower level dungeons that seems to effect MMOs?

There are a lot of idiots or I'm behind the times in MMOs. I had to heal with my Sorcerer in a Heroic, we had an underleveled Powertech, an assassin and a marauder. We get three mobs on a pull. I try to CC one of them and it is immediately broken. I try to explain CC, they don't know what that means, I say 'mez' they don't know what that means. Finally I say "I can make one of them not attack". On another attempt its not broken, the three of them then stand there looking at it and I shit you not say "Look at that, the game glitched, he is just hanging there in mid air". WTF.

How does crowd control work in WoW? Does it not exist? In EQ CC was your life, you had to CC. Is everything just AoE now and everyone just goes balls out? Should I even bother?

That was the last time I played my sorc, if I'm going to do a healer thats fine but I'll do it on my Commando instead. So I decided to role a Sniper to counter the healing on my other character, I wanted someone who cannot heal at all, I imagine finding groups will be a problem but I'll hope for the best.

Now I just need to pick one and take them to 50, probably with go with the Sniper given all I've heard about how great the agent story is.

cametall

Dorrin, I don't know about other players, but in Hammer Station I needed my group to crowd control, I could not heal through the damage those robots put out (healing Operative).

I run into the same issue with people ignoring CC. I tell them I can disable a droid for 60 seoncds. Still some moron DPS runs over and whacks the sliced droid...

If later Flashpoints require more CC than Hammer Station does (for its level range) then this community is fucked.

Again, Hammer Station, group members LOVE to run through the last boss' grenades and stand in his flurry of fire. They LOVE it...

Woorloog

Banned
Powertech or Mercenary? That choice is fucking sadistic. Powertech lets the player use jetpack and other abilities Jango and Boba Fett have in the movies. Mercenary is more original and equally cool. (Not going to be tank nor healer, not with these frame rates)
Fuck.
They really need to implement AC changing... i need to try both before i can make my choice really. Playing yet another BH is not an option, don't want to do Hutta yet again (if it took only 30min max i wouldn't have any issues with making another BH).

WarMacheen

Dorrin, I don't know about other players, but in Hammer Station I needed my group to crowd control, I could not heal through the damage those robots put out (healing Operative).

I run into the same issue with people ignoring CC. I tell them I can disable a droid for 60 seoncds. Still some moron DPS runs over and whacks the sliced droid...

If later Flashpoints require more CC than Hammer Station does (for its level range) then this community is fucked.

Again, Hammer Station, group members LOVE to run through the last boss' grenades and stand in his flurry of fire. They LOVE it...

I concur, I've tanked it a few times in pugs, won't do it again.

Derrick01

Banned
I think as the game ages people will adapt to the strategies. WoW was very similar at the start with everyone trying to go nuts and then it got better. There's still plenty of idiots but they got booted for people who were willing to take it seriously.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Time to roll on Fat man server...my server is always dead and could never find any heroic groups. There were always less than 8 people in the zone while leveling :(

EDarkness

I think as the game ages people will adapt to the strategies. WoW was very similar at the start with everyone trying to go nuts and then it got better. There's still plenty of idiots but they got booted for people who were willing to take it seriously.

I know there are some people who disagree, but I think CC gameplay is annoying and takes too long. I hated those days in WoW when so many mobs had to be CC'd. Magister's Terrace in BC sucked hardcore. I ran that dungeon a bunch of times on my warrior tank and it would take forever to get through and sidesteping CC'd targets just wasn't cool. No idea why people like CC gameplay, but I'll be happy to see it go forever.

Soroc

I know there are some people who disagree, but I think CC gameplay is annoying and takes too long. I hated those days in WoW when so many mobs had to be CC'd. Magister's Terrace in BC sucked hardcore. I ran that dungeon a bunch of times on my warrior tank and it would take forever to get through and sidesteping CC'd targets just wasn't cool. No idea why people like CC gameplay, but I'll be happy to see it go forever.

I've always preferred CC gameplay to AOE zerg. I just find more strategy in it. Maybe not a ton more but some anyway. When you have more mobs then party members and u need to figure out who should be cc'd or not knowing who can be cc'd I think adds a small amount of strategy to each encounter. Its always funny when you have things planned out and the CC'rs are about to CC pull and then the targets can't be CC'd or immune and you have a nice "oh shit moment" and is a little rewarding thinking on your toes and pulling through the fight as a group.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've always preferred CC gameplay to AOE zerg. I just find more strategy in it. Maybe not a ton more but some anyway. When you have more mobs then party members and u need to figure out who should be cc'd or not knowing who can be cc'd I think adds a small amount of strategy to each encounter. Its always funny when you have things planned out and the CC'rs are about to CC pull and then the targets can't be CC'd or immune and you have a nice "oh shit moment" and is a little rewarding thinking on your toes and pulling through the fight as a group.
Or when after you craft your plan and get it started and things look fine, a wandering elite mob from a side room walks in and screws everything up.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Another point where my experience is at odds with the one I read on here.

Tattooine: The very quest quest that isn't inside Anchorhead and I kill a droid and immediately afterwards I feel a lightning from behind, and then from the side. And then I was dead. Killed by two players of the opposing faction.

EDarkness

I understand the other side of the argument, but having played that way for so long, I didn't realize how much I hated it until Wrath when they went with the AoE model. I found that I ran dungeons more often and sometimes just for the fun of it. Even long dungeons are fine as long as there's no CCing involved. If it's long and a lot of CCing is needed, then I refuse to run the dungeon. Don't get me wrong, having CC for "oh shit" moments is great. The wandering patrol that no one remembered was still out there who happened to jump in during the fight needs to be CC'd. But as part of the normal dungeon rotation? Nah. I'll pass.

I haven't run Hammer Station, but I'm glad it wasn't needed in the first dungeon.

RotBot

My groups have never needed CC when everyone is at least the recommended level. There's no healing and mana recharge downtime punishment from an extra enemy attacking, so if you can kill trash mobs without CC, there's no reason not to.

Edit: The lack of hotkey marking also makes CC a pain to coordinate and takes up extra time.

Soroc

My groups have never needed CC when everyone is at least the recommended level. There's no healing and mana recharge downtime punishment from an extra enemy attacking, so if you can kill trash mobs without CC, there's no reason not to.

Edit: The lack of hotkey marking also makes CC a pain to coordinate and takes up extra time.

Oh no question. Thats why I think I like it here. Its still situational and not needed on every single pull. Maybe later levels but for me throughout my 20's I've only used mine really if there was going to be 2 or more harder mobs in the pull.

Mandalorian Raiders FP before the latest patch, the final bosses the "boarding Party" was a bitch since they were all immune to cc, the range were kicking the shit out of us, took a couple wipes and some strategy and figured out how to do the fight with a little cross healing (myself and another off healer) but I don't think alot of groups could beat that encounter without CC. (Now they added in that they can be CC'd in the latest patch) This to me was an example of when you think CC will work and it just doesn't :p Gotta think outside the box on how to handle all the damage incoming.

Won

Seeing how the game doesn't want to save not to show Sith corruption really killed my interest for my Vanguard pretty fast. :(

Also should have gone with a range character after all. :/

Edit: Also what's up with the "trade marks for marks to buy a bag of marks" pvp gear thingy?

Woorloog

Banned
Well, dammit. I chose Mercenary. Played a bit. Realised i really want to be a Powertech (Jet Charge+Retractable Blade build, not optimal but fun combo of ranged and melee)...
FFS, why doesn't the game have AC changing, at least till level 20?

eznark

Banned
No idea what I am doing in hutball but I did shoot a bunch of dudes and rain some death from above in between getting killed a lot, so that was fun!

I guess warzones are the way to power level?

CAW

I bought the DD when the game came out. I had canceled my CE pre-order but figured I'd still like the special items in game.

I redeemed the DD code on Bioware and everything was fine but I had spent so much money on everything that week (Christmas and myself, etc) and I was kind of bummed out that I had just spent $90 on a game for some in-game useless items. I guess for some reason I thought they'd be more....useful.

So I called EA and asked for a refund, which they had no problem doing. I continued to play because I still had early access as I had originally pre-ordered back in July. My refund went through and the game disappeared from my games list in Origin. However,I'm still playing the game. I still have the DD listed on my Bioware account.

Should I contact EA? Did they make a mistake and now I have the game for free? I have a bunch of characters now, a few in their lates 20s and I don't really want to risk losing them, but even if I bought the regular edition (which was my plan after getting the DD refunded) there's no where to redeem the code because I still have the DD code redeemed on my Bioware account. Will I lose these characters?

I don't know what to do so I'm seek some opinions.

Time to roll on Fat man server...my server is always dead and could never find any heroic groups. There were always less than 8 people in the zone while leveling :(

I'm getting the same thing on my server but god, I've already dumped 2 days of played time into my character and I don't want to start over again on another server.

Needs server transfers.

RotBot

Well, dammit. I chose Mercenary. Played a bit. Realised i really want to be a Powertech (Jet Charge+Retractable Blade build, not optimal but fun combo of ranged and melee)...
FFS, why doesn't the game have AC changing, at least till level 20?

The 4 hours it takes to reach level 10 may be the entire length of a Call of Duty campaign, but it's like a minute in MMO time.

XiaNaphryz

Tattooine: The very quest quest that isn't inside Anchorhead and I kill a droid and immediately afterwards I feel a lightning from behind, and then from the side. And then I was dead. Killed by two players of the opposing faction.
I've been jumped several times on Tatooine by rival faction players, as well as done the ganking myself on rivals out solo. It's just a risk you have to take if you're out solo. I'm on one of the more consistently full west coast PvP servers if it matters.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still suffering from altitis. I now have the following on Thana Vesh:

1) Commando Healer - 19
2) Sorcerer Madness(but forced to heal) - 14
3) Marauder - 14 - in hindsight I wish I had gone juggernaut
4) Sniper - 12 - I'm really enjoying this.

Lower level Flashpoints seem abandoned, took forever to get a group for Hammer Station during prime time. Are we already starting in on that skip the lower level dungeons that seems to effect MMOs?

There are a lot of idiots or I'm behind the times in MMOs. I had to heal with my Sorcerer in a Heroic, we had an underleveled Powertech, an assassin and a marauder. We get three mobs on a pull. I try to CC one of them and it is immediately broken. I try to explain CC, they don't know what that means, I say 'mez' they don't know what that means. Finally I say "I can make one of them not attack". On another attempt its not broken, the three of them then stand there looking at it and I shit you not say "Look at that, the game glitched, he is just hanging there in mid air". WTF.

How does crowd control work in WoW? Does it not exist? In EQ CC was your life, you had to CC. Is everything just AoE now and everyone just goes balls out? Should I even bother?

That was the last time I played my sorc, if I'm going to do a healer thats fine but I'll do it on my Commando instead. So I decided to role a Sniper to counter the healing on my other character, I wanted someone who cannot heal at all, I imagine finding groups will be a problem but I'll hope for the best.

Now I just need to pick one and take them to 50, probably with go with the Sniper given all I've heard about how great the agent story is.

The state of CC in modern MMORPGs is just sad to the point that most of the time no one bothers with it. I played (and still do play on occasion) an Enchanter in EverQuest since 1999. There have been bad expansions for the class over the years, but it's almost always been a role that greatly benefits any role. I yearn for the days in Guk, Karnor's and Old Sebilis where a skilled Enchanter could turn a group into an incredibly efficient non-stop killing machine.

So I made a Jedi Knight and chose Guardian as my advanced class and am having much more fun and feel more "hooked." But now I'm reading that they're not actually good tanks and putting aren't able to even solo anymore because they're no longer able to handle the enemies. Has anyone found this true?

Woorloog

Banned
The 4 hours it takes to reach level 10 may be the entire length of a Call of Duty campaign, but it's like a minute in MMO time.

Ah but i don't want to do that damn planet yet again. And 4 hours of rather forgettable content feels far longer than 4 hours.

LowParry

So I made a Jedi Knight and chose Guardian as my advanced class and am having much more fun and feel more "hooked." But now I'm reading that they're not actually good tanks and putting aren't able to even solo anymore because they're no longer able to handle the enemies. Has anyone found this true?

All tanks are able to tank. It's all down to the player. Unless later we see class changes that nerf or buff tank classes, for now, a tank is a tank.

erragal

It's a class with a high skill cap that needs all of its' abilities to function properly. Rage management is more challenging (Especially at low levels) than the other classes resource mechanics and needs all of your generators/talents to feel fluid; you still have to know exactly what you're doing to have proper rage flow.

Specifically as a tank you will need a minimum of 14 keybinds that you are intimiately familiar with; I'm currently up to 25 on my immortal but I use a lot of biochem cooldowns. They are extremely tough tanks but have the worst aggro generation (Especially aoe wise) so you must be on the ball with your awareness and cooldown management. To top it off they have two offensive abilities tied to their defensive performance so if you don't manage your rage/abilities properly you will suffer for it.

Whoever told you they can't solo anymore is a horrible person spreading lies based on their own inability to play the game. The only class I would imagine is better at soloing content is an assassin tank with all their self-heals.

I absolutely -LOVE- my Juggernaut tank but it is definitely a complicated class to play properly. It's the class I prefer to play even though I usually love healers in MMO's.

Wait, so I could be going along on my own with the story and just doing solo quests and get attacked by other players like this? Is there a way to prevent it? What if some players on the opposing side feel like being dicks and camp an area to kill players to prevent then from progressing?

It's a class with a high skill cap and needs all of its' abilities to function properly. Rage management is more challenging (Especially at low levels) than the other classes resource mechanics and needs all of your generators/talents to feel fluid; you still have to know exactly what you're doing to have proper rage flow.

Specifically as a tank you will need a minimum of 14 keybinds that you are intimiately familiar with; I'm currently up to 25 on my immortal but I use a lot of biochem cooldowns. They are extremely tough tanks but have the worst aggro generation (Especially aoe wise) so you must be on the ball with your awareness and cooldown management. To top it off they have two offensive abilities tied to their defensive performance so if you don't manage your rage/abilities properly you will suffer for it.

Whoever told you they can't solo anymore is a horrible person spreading lies based on their own inability to play the game. The only class I would imagine is better at soloing content is an assassin tank with all their self-heals.

I absolutely -LOVE- my Juggernaut tank but it is definitely a complicated class to play properly. It's the class I prefer to play even though I usually love healers in MMO's.

Well that's good to know. I've been reading a lot of negativity towards them on the official forums. Nothing but doom and gloom about the class, it seems.

XiaNaphryz

Wait, so I could be going along on my own with the story and just doing solo quests and get attacked by other players like this? Is there a way to prevent it? What if some players on the opposing side feel like being dicks and camp an area to kill players to prevent then from progressing?
It'll only be an issue if you're playing on a PvP server like some of us are.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ah but i don't want to do that damn planet yet again. And 4 hours of rather forgettable content feels far longer than 4 hours.

I'm pretty sure it's longer than 4 hours, too, if you don't just beeline the main quest.

RotBot

Is this in the free-for-all zone where you can attack someone of the same faction or are you just talking about standard PvP ganking?

One starter planet trick is to travel to the fleet and talk to all of the crew skill trainers for free XP.

did they ever say if they had plans to introduce dual speccing? i wouldn't mind switching to healer as a scoundrel instead of DPS when looking for a group in flashpoints, and it'd add some nice variety, too.

LowParry

did they ever say if they had plans to introduce dual speccing? i wouldn't mind switching to healer as a scoundrel instead of DPS when looking for a group in flashpoints, and it'd add some nice variety, too.

I think we'll see it eventually. Though I don't think they'll allow to change AC. If that is the case, the classes that have only one type (Snipers, etc.) are stuck in dps.

Been having fun with my Sith Inquisitor, but leveled a Powertech to 11 today. Queued for a warzone at 10, and was first in damage :lol

I want my Grapple.

frequency

What server are people on that is apparently "packed" with players?

I'm on Keller's Void because it's the GAF server (though I'm not in the guild yet... not until I decide on which class to stick with). That place is really really barren. It's not even about comparing to WoW. I don't know about the numbers but this game feels emptier than FF14. I see way more people in FF14 than I do here.

Honestly, it feels kind of lifeless.

Been having fun with my Sith Inquisitor, but leveled a Powertech to 11 today. Queued for a warzone at 10, and was first in damage :lol

I want my Grapple.

I hear after 30 PowerTech and Vanguard DPS begins to flounder but with their skills they have tons of utility in PvP due to grapple and Storm (Vanguard named skill.. dont know PT one)

oktarb

I was disappointed to see that both the Inquisitor and the Sith warrior got
the same Fury as their starship.

cametall

I'm on Keller's Void because it's the GAF server (though I'm not in the guild yet... not until I decide on which class to stick with). That place is really really barren. It's not even about comparing to WoW. This game is emptier than FF14.

I'm on Darth Malak and the population feels pretty good to me. I don't think it has ever had a queue either. When checked at peak times it is usually at medium or heavy.

I'm on Keller's Void because it's the GAF server (though I'm not in the guild yet... not until I decide on which class to stick with). That place is really really barren. It's not even about comparing to WoW. I don't know about the numbers but this game feels emptier than FF14. I see way more people in FF14 than I do here.

Kellers Void is one of the most populated servers.. It is just the nature of the game... Less server capacity I believe.

RotBot

Even if you get on after waiting in a queue, it still feels the same. The instancing ensures there's an upper limit to the number of players you see on a planet.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
No idea what I am doing in hutball but I did shoot a bunch of dudes and rain some death from above in between getting killed a lot, so that was fun!

I guess warzones are the way to power level?
Huttball is pretty simple. You take the ball (that starts in the center of the map) to the opponents side of the map across the big line on the floor. You can pass the ball with a ability on your toolbar. And when someone has the ball they have a large beam (like when you have loot) so you can spot them anywhere on the map.

And yeah you do get xp from warzones and there are a couple of daily quests as well which you can find in the fleets.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Is this in the free-for-all zone where you can attack someone of the same faction or are you just talking about standard PvP ganking?
I'm talking standard PvP ganking in a contested zone which Tattooine mostly consists of.

I also wasn't complaining, I was just reading several times that quite a few people haven't seen anyone of the opposing faction even though they were hours on Tattooine. What I posted above was just in quite the contrast to what I have anticipated. :p

Allard

The servers aren't dead or life less, its the instancing they did which they said before launch was supposed to only exist on the start planets... it exists on ALL planets. Check the number in the top left corner. That tells you how many people are actually on the planet but they might be in a separate instance, the only way you can communicate with them is general chat (Or merge over to their instance, you can choose the instance you want to be on in the world map). And yes its getting to me too. I know why they did the instancing, but it completely destroys a good part of the MMO 'charm' when they artificially lockout other players from even being seen just for performance reasons. Hopefully as the launch settles they change the limit on how many players can be in an 'instance' we start seeing worlds with lots of people.

Top Bottom