• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Derrick01

Banned
Fernboi isn't my chars name heh. Its either Villeon or Basif. I'll be hopping on in a couple minutes, i'll send ya an invite.

Heh for some reason I thought that was your name too and I couldn't find you. I'll message you later for an invite if it's ok.

bjb

Banned
Tell me raid bosses don't have 20 abilities and are killed rather easily? I would so HATE for this to turn into WoW.

Almost every Hardmode / Operation encounter is identical to WoW's mechanics.

It shouldn't be an issue for even non-experienced raiders to steamroll this content.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just finished Act 1 of the Imperial Agent.

There were three different ways that final mission could end. I googled afterwards, and it sounds like the entire perspective for how you approach Act II changes based on what you do at the end of Act I. That blows my mind a little bit. I also like how there is no "save" option, I chose a hard way to finish the act, I couldn't go back.

The only downside was I ran into was there was some bugged area of effect around where the boss stood that meant I couldn't see my targets or use abilities. This made it nearly impossible to target the boss or my companion. After dying a bunch, I finally worked on drawing him away from that spot, and then it was easy.

Anyways, still pretty into the IA storyline, especially knowing the Act II storyline set-up. Can't wait to get back to it Monday.

Filth

Just finished Act 1 of the Imperial Agent.

There were three different ways that final mission could end. I googled afterwards, and it sounds like the entire perspective for how you approach Act II changes based on what you do at the end of Act I. That blows my mind a little bit. I also like how there is no "save" option, I chose a hard way to finish the act, I couldn't go back.

The only downside was I ran into was there was some bugged area of effect around where the boss stood that meant I couldn't see my targets or use abilities. This made it nearly impossible to target the boss or my companion. After dying a bunch, I finally worked on drawing him away from that spot, and then it was easy.

Anyways, still pretty into the IA storyline, especially knowing the Act II storyline set-up. Can't wait to get back to it Monday.

save option? in a mmo? lolwat?

timkunedo

Ugh so much lag after the last patch. anyone else experiencing this? I had ZERO lag until that last patch. playing on 2 different servers too, pvp and pve.

Walshicus

Every time I see a planet from my ship I'm distracted by how shitty the texture is. You'd have thought a high-res planet texture would have been a must!

Fixed1979

Who's the best toon to get hold of for a Republic invite? I've gone down through all the names in the OP and it's telling me their not found. Would appreciate an invite (Ytme).

Who's the best toon to get hold of for a Republic invite? I've gone down through all the names in the OP and it's telling me their not found. Would appreciate an invite (Ytme).

Everyone in the GAF republic guild has invite powers I believe.

Just open the /who menu

Then type "GAF" and see who is on the list inside the menu..

Don't do /who gaf because it bugs out and it just pulls up a who list as opposed to everyone in the guild.

Dartastic

Damn I feel like such a MMO noob when I'm playing this, in regards to normal MMO things that most people know. Sigh. At least I've been able to quest by myself so far. Only level 11, Jedi Knight.

daoster

Just finished like 3-4 Heroics on Tatooine with fellow GAFers Jae and Osaka (not sure who they are on the forum, lol), and that was fun...Heroic Rescue is like the hardest heroic I've encountered yet.

Ferny

Hey if anyone needs an invite to GAF Empire in the next 30 minutes, i'll be leaving my client up while I get ready. Name is Villeon.

Woorloog

Banned
Are you kidding? It's packed with players and content.

Current situation doesn't matter, not nearly as much as how often will BW add more content? What sort of content?

Me, i want more planets and more importantly, long quests arcs. Story is what draws me into this game, neither Flashpoints nor Operations will do this for really. I know i won't keep playing if we get planets and additional class-quests only via expansions... (That is, after i've played all classes to 50 EDIT and until expansions... Content patch without class quests or planets is full of nothing to me).

Nightz

Hey if anyone needs an invite to GAF Empire in the next 30 minutes, i'll be leaving my client up while I get ready. Name is Villeon.

The guild pretty active on there? My co-worker dragged me onto his server but his guild kinda sucks.

I've been having a good time. Level 24 with my Bounty Hunter. The leveling experience has been a lot of fun and very enjoyable, then again I am the kind of person that refuses to just spacebar through everything and speed to 50.

I have about 60,000 credits so far. Once I spend most of that on the speeder I will focus a lot more on the crew skills since that can get expensive.

Xiaoki

Current situation doesn't matter, not nearly as much as how often will BW add more content? What sort of content?

Me, i want more planets and more importantly, long quests arcs. Story is what draws me into this game, neither Flashpoints nor Operations will do this for really. I know i won't keep playing if we get planets and additional class-quests only via expansions... (That is, after i've played all classes to 50 EDIT and until expansions... Content patch without class quests or planets is full of nothing to me).

If you're expecting long class story arcs and new planets in free updates then prepare now to be disappointed.

Even if we do get something like a new planet in a free update it would probably be the size of something useless like Quesh not Tatooine.

Bioware has set a difficult bar for themselves going forward. Whatever content they do add will need all new hours of voice acting to go with it.

So, in the near future expect TOR's updates to contain content that fills out the existing content. Like new Flash points, new operations, missing features and bug fixes.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If you're expecting long class story arcs and new planets in free updates then prepare now to be disappointed.

Even if we do get something like a new planet in a free update it would probably be the size of something useless like Quesh not Tatooine.

Bioware has set a difficult bar for themselves going forward. Whatever content they do add will need all new hours of voice acting to go with it.

So, in the near future expect TOR's updates to contain content that fills out the existing content. Like new Flash points, new operations, missing features and bug fixes.

They were recording voice for new content well before launch. They know what they're up against and they've planned for it.

The first content patch in Jan includes a new Flashpoint that takes place on a new planet.

Considering how quickly you can get through a planet's quests a paid expansion that only included 1 new planet would be a pretty shitty expansion unless the planet was much bigger than the current ones.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hit 50 today, got to the last jedi knight mission and raged quit. WTF is up with that last boss? Thought the Story quest was made for solo play.

I'll be back tomorrow to give it another shot, I know Aran needs it done as well. Read theres a way to cheese it and bug out the encounter. If nothing else I can try that.

Ken

Where's the Adrenaline Rush skill for the Trooper? I added a point to a talent that reduces its CD, but I have no idea where to find the actual skill.

frequency

So I started a Sith Inquisitor even though I am totally against this "be an evil jerk just because" thing. I'm a bit surprised that some of the Light side options are actually... good... and nice.

I have to say I'm really enjoying being a nice Sith. The reactions of people to my kind decisions is enjoyable.
I also like that some of my Light Side options are stuff like lying for a better cause. On my Jedi, Light Side is always just following the rules, which is sometimes really dumb. Like the lovers quest in the starting area. Jedi are jerks.

Now I have like 3 classes to choose between... ugh.

One major complaint I have against the Sith Inquisitor is my companion. Khem Val or whatever. He's really big and always gets in the way of my cursor. When I try to click a vendor or quest NPC, I almost always end up clicking him first. It's annoying.

When do you get your second companion? I want to replace this guy as soon as possible. I'm also leveling as a tank so a healer companion would be nice.

Jrmint

Where's the Adrenaline Rush skill for the Trooper? I added a point to a talent that reduces its CD, but I have no idea where to find the actual skill.

It's possible you may not have trained it yet. Talents sometimes include abilities that you will get later on. Go to your trainer and set the drop down to show all abilities, not just available ones, you'll probably see it there.

Xiaoki

They were recording voice for new content well before launch. They know what they're up against and they've planned for it.

The first content patch in Jan includes a new Flashpoint that takes place on a new planet.

Considering how quickly you can get through a planet's quests a paid expansion that only included 1 new planet would be a pretty shitty expansion unless the planet was much bigger than the current ones.

Yeah every MMO in history has launched with future content already in the works.

But Im not talking about content a month after launch, Im talking about 6 months to a year and beyond. Content that is not currently in development.

Also, I would expect 3 to 4 new planets to be included in TOR expansions(assuming a 10 level increase) but I was referring to free updates that are released in between expansions.

My immediate concerns for TOR is not new planets and expansions but quickly releasing features that are near necessary for themepark style MMOs. Like Legacy, dual specs, UI mods and macros. I mean, seriously, how could a modern MMO developer even consider not having macro support? Or even combat logs? Severe rookie mistakes Bioware.

frequency

Yeah every MMO in history has launched with future content already in the works.

But Im not talking about content a month after launch, Im talking about 6 months to a year and beyond. Content that is not currently in development.

Also, I would expect 3 to 4 new planets to be included in TOR expansions(assuming a 10 level increase) but I was referring to free updates that are released in between expansions.

My immediate concerns for TOR is not new planets and expansions but quickly releasing features that are near necessary for themepark style MMOs. Like Legacy, dual specs, UI mods and macros. I mean, seriously, how could a modern MMO developer even consider not having macro support? Or even combat logs? Severe rookie mistakes Bioware.

I get the sense that the game was rushed out. I know it's been in development for quite and while was was delayed a few times but still... The missing features are silly. And there's just general stuff that isn't really polished enough. It really feels like they just had to get this out for the holidays because it's been in dev for so long. Investors or something.

Not to say I think this is a bad game or anything. I'm enjoying myself. But outside of the story stuff, the game just feels outdated and not on par with something like WoW.

P.S. Don't hate me for saying that! I'm playing this game and haven't been subscribed to WoW in like a year! So I'm not saying this is a worse game overall, just some missing features and some game play elements aren't as fun for me. The story and watching my character develop and have her own personality is what has me hooked.

hamchan

I'll say WoW handily beats this game in environments, both the way they look, the variety and the way they're designed.

frequency

I'll say WoW handily beats this game in environments, both the way they look, the variety and the way they're designed.

I agree. I vastly prefer fantasy to sci fi though...
But beyond that, the WoW areas are just way more open and MMO-like. SWTOR is very corridor-heavy so far. I haven't come across any real open area, though I am low level.

The areas in this game really feel like a single player design. That's not an inherently bad thing, I just prefer my MMOs to be more like MMOs.

Another major thing I like more in WoW environments is exploration. There's really nothing to explore here. In WoW, it was nice to find things off in some corner of a map or on top of some mountain or something.

Varna

*SIGH*

Spent a ton of cash trying to get yellow crystals (for whatever reason they get a higher endurance/critical bonus) with archeology only to now notice they are treasure hunting loot unlike every other saber color crystal.

Hawk269

On average at what level most of you at the end of act 1? I am just wondering how much more I have to go until I get to the end of Act 1

Juice

"Like Legacy, dual specs, UI mods and macros"

This is a stuff that can easily wait a few months. Few people that wouldn't otherwise unsubscribe would choose to do so based on these omissions.

iOS took two years to get copy-paste and it worked out okay.

J-Rzez

I can already see this game not lasting. Ssdd

TBH, I don't see it becoming ultra popular. A lot of question marks up in the air with patch/expansion content, and it seems the majority (myself included) dislikes the PVP in the game. So GW2 will steal away whatever people are playing this just to tide them over, both PVE and PVP, and TSW (if good) will finish the job. Sure, there will be people still playing this who are star wars nuts, but I honestly can't see it holding the attention of the "wider audience" like other MMOs have. It's a fun game just to go through the storylines, but thus far the FPs and PVP really has ended up disappointing.

There's no AA in the game yet technically as well, and is a jagged mess unless forced. I thought for sure the textures in release would have been vastly improved from beta, but nope.

This game was clearly rushed.

vaelic

Banned
TBH, I don't see it becoming ultra popular. A lot of question marks up in the air with patch/expansion content, and it seems the majority (myself included) dislikes the PVP in the game. So GW2 will steal away whatever people are playing this just to tide them over, both PVE and PVP, and TSW (if good) will finish the job. Sure, there will be people still playing this who are star wars nuts, but I honestly can't see it holding the attention of the "wider audience" like other MMOs have. It's a fun game just to go through the storylines, but thus far the FPs and PVP really has ended up disappointing.

There's no AA in the game yet technically as well, and is a jagged mess unless forced. I thought for sure the textures in release would have been vastly improved from beta, but nope.

This game was clearly rushed.

Agreed

Moaradin

If this game didn't get popular, there is no hope for any MMOs honestly. I don't think any MMOs that are upcoming have anywhere near the mass appeal Star Wars has.

I think the game will do well, but its not going to live up to the hype media has for this game. Especially that retarded moniker of "The MMO that will change everything," "EA's WoW killer."

If any MMO is going to bring something new / be the fresh face of MMOing, it's honestly going to be Guild Wars 2. With that said, I'm enjoying SWTOR, mostly because IA's story is that damn good. But at times I do feel like it's a single player game with a really really well done mass coop system. It's hard to explain, but its like they attached MMO elements to a single player game where as say WoW everything is more cohesive.

But unlike everyone else, I'm not painting doom and gloom; the game has only been out 12 days, it can only grow from here. I'm more worried about Lucasarts fucking everything up more than anything.

-Cipher Agent Thursday

Top Bottom