• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

I think the game will do well, but its not going to live up to the hype media has for this game. Especially that retarded moniker of "The MMO that will change everything," "EA's WoW killer."

If any MMO is going to bring something new / be the fresh face of MMOing, it's honestly going to be Guild Wars 2. With that said, I'm enjoying SWTOR, mostly because IA's story is that damn good. But at times I do feel like it's a single player game with a really really well done mass coop system. It's hard to explain, but its like they attached MMO elements to a single player game where as say WoW everything is more cohesive.

But unlike everyone else, I'm not painting doom and gloom; the game has only been out 12 days, it can only grow from here. I'm more worried about Lucasarts fucking everything up more than anything.

-Cipher Agent Thursday

That's exactly how I'm seeing it also. I think that was the reason I wasn't getting into it. Now that my mindset has changed I'm enjoying it much more.

Yeah I'm enjoying the game, and despite everyone crying "its just like WoW." I'm having more fun with this than I do WoW nowadays. Funny thing is people are clamoring for the very things that has turned WoW into crap. (LFG instaport to dungeon, LFR, cross server LFG). One thing Bioware needs to get on ASAP is the damn AH search interface. That shit sucks soooooo damn bad.

I like the classes in SWTOR, my only issue is how they're presented, but they (Bioware) have little choice in that.

To better explain; there are 8 classes and 4 stories. The problem is from level 1-10 some classes you're not really getting the feel for before you pick your AC. Where as in say WoW from 1-10 you have a much better feel of how X class is going to play.

Like as an example, I know many people some of my friends included went Sith Inquisitor (Assassin) because they thought it was the rogue of SWTOR; but in actuality Imperial Agent Operative is the rogue of SWTOR (we even have a skill called Eviscerate...). But you wouldn't know that playing a IA from 1-10 as you don't get any Operative defining skills until level 15ish when you start getting backstab, shiv, etc. For the first few levels of Operative...you're still getting skills that are shared between Operative and Sniper.

They really need to redo the way they introduce classes to people.

bjb

Banned
Or people could take 10 minutes and read up on specific classes and skills before making ill-informed decisions.

frequency

Yeah I'm enjoying the game, and despite everyone crying "its just like WoW." I'm having more fun with this than I do WoW nowadays. Funny thing is people are clamoring for the very things that has turned WoW into crap. (LFG instaport to dungeon, LFR, cross server LFG). One thing Bioware needs to get on ASAP is the damn AH search interface. That shit sucks soooooo damn bad.

I like the classes in SWTOR, my only issue is how they're presented, but they (Bioware) have little choice in that.

To better explain; there are 8 classes and 4 stories. The problem is from level 1-10 some classes you're not really getting the feel for before you pick your AC. Where as in say WoW from 1-10 you have a much better feel of how X class is going to play.

Like as an example, I know many people some of my friends included went Sith Inquisitor (Assassin) because they thought it was the rogue of SWTOR; but in actuality Imperial Agent Operative is the rogue of SWTOR (we even have a skill called Eviscerate...). But you wouldn't know that playing a IA from 1-10 as you don't get any Operative defining skills until level 15ish when you start getting backstab, shiv, etc. For the first few levels of Operative...you're still getting skills that are shared between Operative and Sniper.

They really need to redo the way they introduce classes to people.

I agree with this. As a person who always starts MMOs by making one of every class to try out the mechanics, it's been really time consuming and dumb. It takes me like 4 hours just to get to level 10. And then I need to put in like another 5-10 hours to get a feel for the Advanced Class to know if I like it. That's way too much time to experiment :(

Or people could take 10 minutes and read up on specific classes and skills before making ill-informed decisions.

I don't care about descriptions. I want to know how the class plays/feels. Descriptions aren't enough.

I think the game will do well, but its not going to live up to the hype media has for this game. Especially that retarded moniker of "The MMO that will change everything," "EA's WoW killer."

If any MMO is going to bring something new / be the fresh face of MMOing, it's honestly going to be Guild Wars 2. With that said, I'm enjoying SWTOR, mostly because IA's story is that damn good. But at times I do feel like it's a single player game with a really really well done mass coop system. It's hard to explain, but its like they attached MMO elements to a single player game where as say WoW everything is more cohesive.

But unlike everyone else, I'm not painting doom and gloom; the game has only been out 12 days, it can only grow from here. I'm more worried about Lucasarts fucking everything up more than anything.

-Cipher Agent Thursday

IA man, definitely glad I switched. I think for me, the quests are really the issue. Story, setting, etc, are really top-notch and I love it. But I feel like the quests are really starting to wear on me and going to be the main issue I'll come away from the experience with.

I know what you mean. The lightsaber, for example, is given way too far into the game. I understand the need for an introduction but part of feeling like a Jedi is that weapon and I hated having to spend all that time with something that looked like a stick with a half-assed saber handle on it.

If this game didn't get popular, there is no hope for any MMOs honestly. I don't think any MMOs that are upcoming have anywhere near the mass appeal Star Wars has.

The IP doesn't necessarily have the recognition of Star Wars, but Guild Wars 2 is THE upcoming MMO that has a chance to change the genre.

That said, started a Trooper today. Holy fuck is it way better and more fun than my Marauder. I dumped 2 days of played time into that character and I'm not sure if I'm gonna go back to it.

kai3345

Banned
Just got the game, and its not letting me play, saying I don't have a subscription tied to my account, despite the fact that I've registered my product key and it says I have 29 days of gametime left.

Anno

So long as they keep the world cohesive and believable within the fiction I'll enjoy this game to WoW pretty much no matter what. WoW may have more MMO-like environments, but nearly everything else about the game nowadays actively works against it in terms of feeling like an actual place. Obviously that's my own opinion, though.

I think TOR will have a good future ahead of it. Right now I think they should focus on cleaning up the GTN. After that I'd like to see some work on tradeskills and the Legacy system, since it seems like that's perhaps to be our form of alternate advancement. Dual-specs, group finders and mods can forever remain out of the game so far as I care.

Blackface

Banned

-Cipher Agent Thursday

What you can't explain is simple. You are probably over-looking it.

This isn't just a single player game with "mass co-op". In fact, in terms of systems go, SWTOR is almost as full featured as World of Warcraft, a game 7 years (+3 to 4 in development) in the making.

Whats missing from SWTOR are social features and a sense of community. There is no reason to communicate with anyone for almost anything if you are in a guild. There are no server forums. There is little community interaction outside of the game itself. The best thing we have is Darth Hater, which is an EXTREMELY shitty version of mmo-champion. There is nobody doing any type of real theory crafting. There is little world PVP happening, there is no reason to have allies and enemies.

World of Warcraft established itself back in Vanilla. This is where the foundation for the community was created. In Vanilla, there was tons of community interaction. Although you could not directly communicate in game. World PVP and eventually BG PVP would spark discussion on the server forums. This would cause rivalries, competition and trading among players in the game.

Having to make friends on your server so you could get to know someone with a UBRS key. Putting together PUG raid groups of 20 people to do UBRS. Guilds joining together to try and tackle Molten Core in blue gear.

There was simply more of a reason to talk to each other. To get to know the best/worst/coolest guilds on the server. To have competition, and most importantly have fun.

This basic beginning is what spawned other community sites, and helped expand the game to what it is today.

SWTOR has forgotten all of this. They have made it hard to communicate with people on your own server. They instanced planets and made the world feel completely empty. They made World PVP almost impossible outside of Ilum based on how the planets are setup. They provided no incentives at all to communicate with, and build a sense of community.

I love SWTOR. But any MMO that completely neglects community interaction is doomed to fail.

You are not the only one who feels this way. Almost everyone in my guild feels the same. People on the forums feel this way also, and obviously people on GAF do as well.

Doesn't really do much, I mean the tidbit of info that is given to someone when they talk to the quest guy/girl to pick their class is vague / too lore laced for someone to make an informed decision. I mean the description of Operative is a melee class that uses stealth and vibroblades. Assassin is...a melee class that uses stealth and lightsabers. With just that, one could easily assume that they're both rogues...but they'd be wrong...oh so wrong....lol glowstick users.

While I agree with you on one hand, on the other hand a person shouldn't have to search the bowels of the internet and trudge through forums to figure out what class does what specifically. It defeats the purpose.

Ferny

I think expecting all that in a couple weeks of release Blackface isn't fair to the game at all. Im sure the community will build itself up but it needs time to do so.

Won

Yeah I'm enjoying the game, and despite everyone crying "its just like WoW." I'm having more fun with this than I do WoW nowadays. Funny thing is people are clamoring for the very things that has turned WoW into crap. (LFG instaport to dungeon, LFR, cross server LFG)..

That's because the tools works. Their implemantion is questionable, but with new features there is always room for improvements, tweaks and different approaches. Bioware sadly decided to completely ignore most of it and it doesn't seem to do the game any good so far.

On the topic of theorycrafting, sithwarrior.com has slowly been building steam. It's no EJ by any means(yet), but you may take a look at that before declaring there's no theorycrafting atm.

Anno

T7's rocket jump might be the most unintentionally adorable thing ever. Little dude is easily my favorite lightside companion thus far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So long as they keep the world cohesive and believable within the fiction I'll enjoy this game to WoW pretty much no matter what. WoW may have more MMO-like environments, but nearly everything else about the game nowadays actively works against it in terms of feeling like an actual place. Obviously that's my own opinion, though.

Wait, really? Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I feel exactly the same way about TOR and its environments.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What you can't explain is simple. You are probably over-looking it.

This isn't just a single player game with "mass co-op". In fact, in terms of systems go, SWTOR is almost as full featured as World of Warcraft, a game 7 years (+3 to 4 in development) in the making.

Whats missing from SWTOR are social features and a sense of community. There is no reason to communicate with anyone for almost anything if you are in a guild. There are no server forums. There is little community interaction outside of the game itself. The best thing we have is Darth Hater, which is an EXTREMELY shitty version of mmo-champion. There is nobody doing any type of real theory crafting. There is little world PVP happening, there is no reason to have allies and enemies.

World of Warcraft established itself back in Vanilla. This is where the foundation for the community was created. In Vanilla, there was tons of community interaction. Although you could not directly communicate in game. World PVP and eventually BG PVP would spark discussion on the server forums. This would cause rivalries, competition and trading among players in the game.

Having to make friends on your server so you could get to know someone with a UBRS key. Putting together PUG raid groups of 20 people to do UBRS. Guilds joining together to try and tackle Molten Core in blue gear.

There was simply more of a reason to talk to each other. To get to know the best/worst/coolest guilds on the server. To have competition, and most importantly have fun.

This basic beginning is what spawned other community sites, and helped expand the game to what it is today.

SWTOR has forgotten all of this. They have made it hard to communicate with people on your own server. They instanced planets and made the world feel completely empty. They made World PVP almost impossible outside of Ilum based on how the planets are setup. They provided no incentives at all to communicate with, and build a sense of community.

I love SWTOR. But any MMO that completely neglects community interaction is doomed to fail.

You are not the only one who feels this way. Almost everyone in my guild feels the same. People on the forums feel this way also, and obviously people on GAF do as well.

Great post. I think you're absolutely correct. I think it's really sad that modern MMORPGs seem to go out of their way to discourage all but the most brief spurts of player interaction.

Anno

Wait, really? Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I feel exactly the same way about TOR and its environments.

WoW's environments are great. I love exploring in that game, even if there isn't a ton of reason to do so. Unfortunately the entire illusion is shattered when 50 people on massive flying drakes, motorcycles and helicopters show up wielding swords the size of kodos. I realize that's the style they've gone for, but to me all semblance of nuance has been lost from that game and it no longer really makes me want to care about its fiction.

Edit: To be sure, I would love to see larger expanses in TOR. I haven't yet made it to the bigger planets much so I'm reserving some judgment, though.

Prodigal

Banned
So I was trying to think of the best worst name I could name my guild I'm about to make with some RL friends...how about: <Darth Star>

Need something really, really awful

kai3345

Banned
Just started, absolutely loving it! Playing an Imperial Agent on the GAF server.

What level do i get my first companion at?

FLEABttn

Banned
Funny thing is people are clamoring for the very things that has turned WoW into crap. (LFG instaport to dungeon, LFR, cross server LFG).

Considering all the dungeons are accessible in your capital station anyways, an LFG system that insta-teleports to dungeon doesn't really change anything.

Ideally, cross server LFG shouldn't be implemented, but this will only work if EA allows Bioware to manage server population in a way that's beneficial to the community but less so to the bottom line. Cross server LFG shouldn't be needed if Bioware is able and willing to fold lower population servers into higher population servers - forcibly.

Then again, there's also an argument to be made that, even with cross server LFG, wait times of 20+ minutes are indicative of a base design flaw that actively prevents people from seeing content in a timely manner because of worn out Diku paradigms.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im still loving the game. im getting close to the end of Act I of my Imperial Agent. im just taking things slow atm. i will probably subscribe to this game until i play all classes to 50.

Emitan

Found this on Reddit

LWO1Q.png

Anno

Slow definitely seems to be the way to go. I can't power my way through 12-hour sessions like I used to do in EQ, but I have a great time 2-3 hours at a time. I too intend to see a good number of classes to max level just to witness their stories.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The game plays like a single player game with MMO elements, like many have stated before. At least, until the later levels where you have to group up if you don't want to torture yourself. Anyway, the game's good as long as there's a steady stream of content. If there isn't then the game is in a bad position. Like many others I'm also holding out for GW2. 3 years and counting baby.

Moaradin

Steve Blum voices a lot of people in the game, so I wouldn't be surprised. Although pretty much everyone thought he voiced the male Bounty Hunter and it turned out he didn't.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
the game has been good at consuming time but admittedly the entire experience has been such a drag. A slow grueling drag. A lonely one too because people could give negative fucks to grouping up past 25. And being the crafter that i am in every MMO i have to say. I've never played a game that worked so hard to shit directly into my mouth when I dedicate myself to the crafting system. While i'm happy that i can go at it almost completely alone (most games these days won't let me do that). Just sitting there waiting hours and hours for your crew to get/create stuff. Then unsuccessfully rolling the dice dozens and dozens of times for new schematics on the billions and billions of items you can make that for the most part will be obsolete in four levels by the next level of shit you can make fucking sucks. When when you look at it from the outside, there's no reason to buy crafted shit anyway because you can earn comparable stuff* from quests and vendors then mod them to infinity.

*at least comparable to the stuff i can make without spending a amount considerable resources real and virtual to discover and create the highest teir stuff.

rockx4

Not feeling the magic of Nolan North?

It's pretty bad. So far I've tried female IA, male Jedi Knight, male Sith Warrior, male Smuggler, female Sith Inquisitor and they're all very good. Male Consular is just really really bad.

Oh, and 2V-R8 is awesome, the biggest ass kisser ever lol. The republic equivalent however greatly pales in comparison.

kai3345

Banned
Ended my first day with the game getting to Level 7 and nearing 8. Did a 2man with 3 people. Man that was a lot of fun, I'm also really digging the party conversation system and the way that I can still be a part of a conversation, even if I'm halfway across the map.

Yea Nolan North did a terrible voice in this. He would have been better off doing the Smuggler.
I'm really surprised he didn't get that role unless he turned it down and went for the Consular. Even though it would be Nathan Drake in space it would be a lot better than his work as the Consular.

Top Bottom