• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hit level 31 tonight on my JK Sent, and decided to give PvP a go for the very first time.

Played a game where each team tried to take control of three turrets. And then played two games of Huttball.

I
have
no
idea
what
I'm
doing.

lol

I was having a blast, though! I've never played an MMO, so this was my very first go at PvP, ever. I basically just listened to what others were yelling at people to do. On the turret map, I kept getting told to "scout left", so when I spawned I would head left and just wait for enemies to approach me.

We won all three games, though! My Kills/Deaths were positive each game, too! ... But that doesn't seem to be quite the feat, as most my team was positive. Maybe the other teams were just really bad?

Anyhoo... what should I be doing? What's the strategy? Considering I'm DPS, I was basically just running around spamming attacks. When I saw someone was using a "long attack" that I could interrupt with Force Kick, I did that. But otherwise, yeah... just spamming hotkeys and trying to slow people down with certain attacks.

Any pointers for a total noob? Thanks!
In huttball the object is to get the ball which spawns in the center of the map across the opponet's line near their spawn point. You can see who has the ball by looking for a big beam of light, similar to when you have loot to pick up. When you have the ball you can pass it by using a ability on your toolbar.

In the Civil War (the one with the turrents) your object is to control the three turrents. The turrents you control fire at the oppenents ship in the air. I think each team starts off with like 600 health for their ship and it gradually goes down. Try to keep control of two turrents at all times.

And in that other game you are on either defense or offense. On defense you need to keep them from setting bombs on the first group of doors, lowing the bridges on the 2nd area and then again keep them from setting a bomb up on the doors after the bridge. The next area there are i think three doors (?) you need to protect, once they get past those they basically win. Each team has a time limit, the team that gets the farthest, wins.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
In huttball the object is to get the ball which spawns in the center of the map across the opponet's line near their spawn point. You can see who has the ball by looking for a big beam of light, similar to when you have loot to pick up. When you have the ball you can pass it by using a ability on your toolbar.

In the Civil War (the one with the turrents) your object is to control the three turrents. The turrents you control fire at the oppenents ship in the air. I think each team starts off with like 600 health for their ship and it gradually goes down. Try to keep control of two turrents at all times.

And in that other game you are on either defense or offense. On defense you need to keep them from setting bombs on the first group of doors, lowing the bridges on the 2nd area and then again keep them from setting a bomb up on the doors after the bridge. The next area there are i think three doors (?) you need to protect, once they get past those they basically win. Each team has a time limit, the team that gets the farthest, wins.

Fantastic! Thank you for the quick run down. I appreciate it!

... Any suggestions on how I should be attacking others?

Dina

Well, this sucks. I'm level 50 and Datacron hunting, so I'm cruising around on Ord Mantell when my game freezes. Now when I try to load my 50 character again, the game never finishes loading (it just freezes) and the window crashes at some point.

All my other characters load fine, even on the same server. Made a ticket asking if they can move my character to the Republic Fleet so that it hopefully loads fine, but man what a hassle. I remember this happening to me in WoW as well.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
just approach it the same way you would when you are attacking a npc (harder of course).

Thanks! ... Yeah, I think I'm at least starting to grasp it. My K/Ds are still staying positive, which is good; even though I've lost a fair amount of games, now.

Had an absolute blast with some fellow GAFers this evening!

6605861305_8c1b630f47_b.jpg

Won

Still no level 50 pvp bracket with the next patch? :/

At least the Sith Corrutpion thing is fixed. Now to fix all the other stuff that resets at every loading screen.

Wallach

The reverse engineering thing is starting to piss me off. I have destroyed nearly 100 of the level 49 blue implants and still not learned the next fucking tier of that item. I stopped counting after 80, but whatever the exact count is it is fucking absurd. There should be something in place to prevent RNG from screwing you so hard.

Anno

Reverse engineering crafted items in hopes of learning even better recipes is a great idea. Being able to keep my character decked out in level-appropriate blues and the odd purple really helps.

Realyn

Hey guys, please help me. Allready googled and didnt find anything.

I want that Sage Robe from Esseles. Can I keep doing the flashpoint with a chance of it dropping, or will it only have a chance to drop every 24 hours ?

I´m confused with that whole 24 hours thing anyway. Yesterday I did Esseles, that robe dropped and I had bad luck at rolling, went back and did Esseles again with some other guys.

Reverse engineering crafted items in hopes of learning even better recipes is a great idea. Being able to keep my character decked out in level-appropriate blues and the odd purple really helps.

Where do you get the components for higher level gear? I am only lvl 22 and on Bamnorra (operative) but can't find any of the higher level components I need. I send my companions on scavaging missions for tier 2 and 3 components but they always bring back crap I can't use. I have unlocked new schematics (and bought some from the trainer) but their stats are all lower than my current weapons. Is it even worth continuing to engineer first tier weapons? Will they lead to getting schematics for much higher weapons or do I have to engineer next tier weapons to unlock the weapons above them? I believe my crafting skill is currently around 100 but I don't know if I should continue making entry level weapons to boost my level.

bjb

Banned
Decided to launch the game again after getting to Level 43 before Christmas.

Perhaps I've played WoW for too long (4-5 years), but the game is starting to get very stale.

It doesn't help when all my guildies are clearing every Operation and Hardmode and saying the same thing.

Starting to loathe PvP as well. Hit rank 30 on my Marauder, and I just can't stand the Warzone grind. The combat definitely needs to be polished, as the response time for executing attacks is just laughable.

It's a shame too because I really had high expectations for this title (I'm a huge SW fan). The reality is, however, that it's just too much of a WoW clone to make it feel different from what I previously quit playing.

Darklord

Banned
Thanks! ... Yeah, I think I'm at least starting to grasp it. My K/Ds are still staying positive, which is good; even though I've lost a fair amount of games, now.

Had an absolute blast with some fellow GAFers this evening!

6605861305_8c1b630f47_b.jpg

Is that what the female characters have under their armour? Or is it a "slave leia" like costume?

bill0527

Decided to launch the game again after getting to Level 43 before Christmas.

Perhaps I've played WoW for too long (4-5 years), but the game is starting to get very stale.

It doesn't help when all my guildies are clearing every Operation and Hardmode and saying the same thing.

Starting to loathe PvP as well. Hit rank 30 on my Marauder, and I just can't stand the Warzone grind. The combat definitely needs to be polished, as the response time for executing attacks is just laughable.

It's a shame too because I really had high expectations for this title (I'm a huge SW fan). The reality is, however, that it's just too much of a WoW clone to make it feel different from what I previously quit playing.

This is actually a positive for me. After 7 years playing WoW off and on, I am beyond sick of it. For all the problems of SWTOR, it will only get better. It only launched 11 days ago so I'll give them some time to refine a few things that are desperately needed. If not, then I'll move on.

Izayoi

Banned
If there isn't a tweak to the RNG to make it a little more friendly (opened 30 Champion boxes and I've only got two pieces of gear to show for it) then I'll definitely be on my way as well.

Negaiido

This is actually a positive for me. After 7 years playing WoW off and on, I am beyond sick of it. For all the problems of SWTOR, it will only get better. It only launched 11 days ago so I'll give them some time to refine a few things that are desperately needed. If not, then I'll move on.

With the (almost) weekly patches I reckon they can fix a lot within a month.

Moaradin

If there isn't a tweak to the RNG to make it a little more friendly (opened 30 Champion boxes and I've only got two pieces of gear to show for it) then I'll definitely be on my way as well.

1.0.2 Patch Notes said:
Items

General

PvP lockboxes now cost 70 commendations, contain more consumables, and always contain an item.

Already on that.

bjb

Banned

Unless you're glitching in spawn or absolutely terrible, your K/D should almost always be positive.

You're awarded a "kill" for any damage you to do any player that dies. Often times even if you're in their radius without attacking them, it will still record a "kill" assuming they're dead. Regardless of whether or not you dealt any damage or the final blow (which may count as a medal).

A few fun exploits I've learned in Huttball on my way to Gladiator:

- If you're a ranged class, stand on top of the Huttball holster. You can't be leaped on or charged, and it's extremely difficult to target you, specifically for any channeled attacks. I've seen Lvl 36+ Sorc's literally rape the entire team doing 300k+ damage.

- If you're in the middle near the jets and about to die, jump on the jet. As soon as it asks you to respawn, accept it, and you'll be instantly revived and back to full health.

- In addition, if you use any healing consumable the moment you're dying, you will again be instantly rezzed and back to full health. Doesn't always work (as it's timing based), but certainly useful.

- If you just want to afk and leach free valor inside the zone, there's a few spots in the tunnel where you can stand and not trigger the deserter debuff. Absolutely nobody will notice either.

I know I'm forgetting a few, I'll have to ask my guildies this evening.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. SWTOR has some serious issues for sure, but this is still launch basically and the game is pretty damn amazing all things considered. I'm so excited to see where it'll go from here.

bjb

Banned
I am still waiting on dual spec before I even think of subscribing

The lack of a lot features is mind boggling to me.

Bioware's essentially copied and refined every aspect of WoW's seven year old template, and yet can't bother with incorporating things like target-of-target, combat logs, and dual-specs at launch.

Realyn

Hey guys, please help me. Allready googled and didnt find anything.

I want that Sage Robe from Esseles. Can I keep doing the flashpoint with a chance of it dropping, or will it only have a chance to drop every 24 hours ?

I´m confused with that whole 24 hours thing anyway. Yesterday I did Esseles, that robe dropped and I had bad luck at rolling, went back and did Esseles again with some other guys.

some1?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Bioware's essentially copied and attempted to refine WoW's seven year old template, and yet can't bother with adding things like target-of-target, combat logs, and dual-specs to name many.
I'm sure combat logs was a design decision, not a mistake when doing ctrl-c, ctrl-v. BioWare Austin has done MMOs before (under a different name) that had combat logs.

Realyn said:
I've done the Black Talon (equivalent on Empire side) 3 times after each other, I got the same drop several times. Doesn't seem to be a cooldown on it.

bjb

Banned

Outside of the Hardmode versions, I don't think there's a lockout for regular Flashpoints.

You should be able to run it as much as possible. Granted I'm not sure why, low-level robes look awful and pixilated. There's plenty of better Orange robes to choose from later in the game.

There is a box specifically called PvP lockbox?

Yes, well, you get one for completing the PvP dailies too. Used to be able to sell them too for solid creds as well.

Izayoi

Banned
Already on that.
Yeah, that's a change to the low-level shitty boxes that spit out green gear. No changes were made to the Champion Bags (I used boxes incorrectly), which are currently a horrific grind. At this rate I'll need another 72,000 Warzone Commendations before I get my full Champion set. By then I'll be rank 65 and then some. :|

At least Warzones are a joke, I guess.

lolzone0454ora.png

Izayoi

Banned
I don't understand what am I supposed to see there? Can someone explain?
Is the sorting the part I have to look at as it's not the default?
You're supposed to be seeing the horrific "balance" of the Warzones. They're a fucking mess right now.

Somebody should never be able to consistently go 50-0.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You're supposed to be seeing the horrific "balance" of the Warzones. They're a fucking mess right now.
Are you queuing solo or with a group?

I've had pretty balanced matches, but I always queue solo. I think in general I'm able to tell if we're going to win or not based on the levels I have in my ops group.

If the highest level is 34 then we're going to lose. If we have 4 or more lvl50s then we win.
That's of course because it seems to just be pulling people randomly.
I think in general it should be bracketed, the way Warhammer did it.
(Level 1-11 had one, 11-17, 18-24, 24-27 or whatever the exact brackets were, it was much more reasonable.)

AppleMIX

Somebody should never be able to consistently go 50-0.

Are you queuing with guilds mates?
Is there a republic imbalance on your server?

Hover over the kills and look under "killing blows" to see how many people you actually finished off.

I've never had a major problem with just being stomped in PVP.

Izayoi

Banned
Are you queuing solo or with a group?
Always group. They either need to bracket groups with groups or levels with levels. Even as a group with mostly high levels, getting a full pack of level 10-15s (or worse yet, toons in their teens who haven't even chosen an Advanced Class yet) almost certainly means a loss.

I can see why they didn't allow ops groups into into PvP now - without brackets they would be completely unstoppable.

I see the logic behind no brackets (wanting to keep the PvP community based), but on most servers that doesn't really matter anyway seeing as Sith almost exclusively get stuck playing against one another in Huttball.

Definitely time for a change.

I've never had a major problem with just being stomped in PVP.
I've never been stomped, which worries me a great deal. The PvP is downright mess right now.

On our server, Pubs are outnumbered by Imps about 3:1. And killing blows are useless, seeing as how easy it is for most DPS classes to ninja them (Commandos/BHs, and Gunslingers/Marksmen especially) - lol 9k bursts.

bill0527

Bioware's essentially copied and refined every aspect of WoW's seven year old template, and yet can't bother with incorporating things like target-of-target, combat logs, and dual-specs at launch.

The only thing I'm really missing is a LFG finder. I know the downsides of it.. believe me, I KNOW how horrible it can be in WoW. But for me its kind of my only choice to get groups going. I only play in quick spurts around 1-2 hours at a time and I play a lot at off-peak hours - early mornings and late at night. I've had to skip a lot of the group content in this game because I can't find anyone to run it with me. Yesterday morning, me and another guy sat at the Imperial Fleet for 45 minutes to an hour trying to put together a group to run the Cademimu FP. I also had to skip the Athiss and Mandalorian Raiders FPs because I outleveled them and never could find a group.

Easy way to make a wonderful LFG/Dungeon Finder tool:

Make it server specific.

LFG killed the community in WoW because you got grouped with people you might never see again and therefore their behavior and your behavior didn't matter at all past working together well enough to finish the instance at hand.

There's no reason not to add a server specific LFG tool which would simply take the work out of finding a group and let you actually enjoy the game content.

Izayoi

Banned
I also had to skip the Athiss and Mandalorian Raiders FPs because I outleveled them and never could find a group.
Well, the nice thing is that you'll be able to go back and re-run all of the old instances in Hard Mode. So you never really "miss" an instance.

Tik-Tok

Why the hell doesn't the game show you the level of people in your friends list, or when they last logged on. It makes it hard for me to see if I'm out leveling my friends that I'd like to play with, or vice versa or if they've logged on recently enough for me to even worry about that.

erragal

I've never been stomped, which worries me a great deal. The PvP is downright mess right now.

On our server, Pubs are outnumbered by Imps about 3:1. And killing blows are useless, seeing as how easy it is for most DPS classes to ninja them (Commandos/BHs, and Gunslingers/Marksmen especially) - lol 9k bursts.[/QUOTE]

The flaw is that right now most people pvping are absolutely atrocious. This is on both sides. Any coordinated group of 3 or 4 people will absolutely dominate every warzone; you shouldn't even be surprised because this was often the case in WoW battlegrounds. In the warhammer scenarios a dwarf or goblin healer could win the entire match themselves even when faced with other good players.

I do think they need some sort of brackets but it's not going to be a huge problem even a month from now when most people are 30/40+; you'll still dominate with a small coordinated group though.

Azzurri

Two things;

1. The Foundry Flash Point was awesome, especially if you liked KOTOR 1.

2. What triggers Bonus series on planet's?

bestami

Well i really like leveling in this game. It is never tiring to me for some reason (it is not story as i skip lots of it). I got a 47 merc and a 20 operative and i am not sick of it yet. It is usually a chore and the worst part of mmos for me but i already have plans for grinding more characters.

eznark

Banned
I did the Black Talon last night with a random person, pretty much the first time I've done something like that in any game. It was pretty rad. Story and presentation were cool too. I really like the way it handled conversations, however I have no idea what the points by our names meant.

Top Bottom