• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anno

Well, I understand it's like gemming, but what I don't understand is how mods can make a level 15 item a level 30 item and vice versa. What about set bonuses for set gear? Do those things carry over as well? Just seems like a lot of work to figure out and so I've just replaced gear as I've leveled without worrying about modding.

Level is based on the rating of the main mod (armoring, barrel, hilt etc.) If you have a piece of armor with a rating of 40 and slot in an armoring mod with a rating of 44 you'll have an item with base armor that's better. From there you slot in mods/enhancements that give you the stats that you want.

I guess I'm not sure why people would be against the system. Pretty simple and flexible and allows you to keep your character looking a certain way.

Well, I understand it's like gemming, but what I don't understand is how mods can make a level 15 item a level 30 item and vice versa. What about set bonuses for set gear? Do those things carry over as well? Just seems like a lot of work to figure out and so I've just replaced gear as I've leveled without worrying about modding.

When looking at armor mods, the specific mod that determines the amount of defense you have is called "Armoring", looks like a square piece of metal. The "Rating" stat is what you can use to compare between mods and normal armors. The higher the number, the more armor you have. Higher level and higher quality Armoring mods will provide a higher rating.

For weapons, there is a Rating stat as well, but if you use guns, your main mod will be the "Barrel", lightsabers use "Hilts".

edit: beaten

Another great thing about the mod system is that it even lets you mod gear that otherwise weren't meant for you. You can take Sith gear, take the stats out, then mod it to be useful for you. I think the mod system is really unappreciated.

This, my BH is wearing a Sith warrior cape and I love it, the cape physics are quite wonky right now. Got the armor through alderaan commendations and replaced all the STR mods with my own Aim ones and now I look like a sith lord with 2 blasters :p

Cptkrush

It's a great system and one of SWTOR's strongest features. Reasonable way to keep the gear you like so you aren't forced to wear something because it has better stats.

This can not be said enough. The modding system is probably my favorite feature of this game.

Won

The way to get raid level mods to equal raid level gear is to raid. Makes sense right? Not sure exactly how it works to get PVP mods though. Don't really PVP often.

It doesn't. It's that simple.

There is also still the issue with the set bonus on gear.

It just feels like a big slap in the face after using WoW's system. Or any other game for that matter.

I love the modding system.. it lets me keep my noble jedi sage vestments but upgrade the stats to be current level gear.

If I find some armor that I think looks better (that is orange), I can simply move my mods over to that armor and have an equal level piece of equipment.

Very simple and very flexible.

gatti-man

That's the bug. Those are meant to be spread over the course of Act 1 but bug and don't trigger. Then at the end of act 1 it must trigger one that works, thus making all of them queue up. If you notice you'll see the "Mako wants to talk" icon show up but never will.

Ah ok. I forgave it as intended design because she gave me a lvl 40 quest when i was just barely lvl 32 at the time.

TheContact

I can't seem to find the guild page, even with searching, but I had signed up for the Neogaf guild. I joined the server they're on, and when I logged in for the first time I saw a message about a guild, but my game crashed and couldn't read what it said. I signed back in but the message never came back up. How do I join?

frequency

I've finally decided to stick with the Smuggler class. Is anyone in the GAF guild on the Republic side with invite privileges online right now? I could use an invite. My name is Siena. Thanks!

so I am level 9 Sith inquisitor, and next class mission is level 11 (high level enemies in there too much for me) and there are only heroic missions left, I did all the other side missions

I noticed I can visit the fleet though - are there other cool missions or a way to get a companion easily by going somewhere else?

I plan soloing for the story and atmosphere

Moaradin

so I am level 9 Sith inquisitor, and next class mission is level 11 (high level enemies in there too much for me) and there are only heroic missions left, I did all the other side missions

I noticed I can visit the fleet though - are there other cool missions or a way to get a companion easily by going somewhere else?

I plan soloing for the story and atmosphere

You're in the optimal range for your next class quest. You can go there and there will also be a lot of side quest you can pick up along the way. The Imperial Fleet is basically a gathering hub for grouping up and trading things.

Also pick up your advanced class when you hit level 10. Should be near your class trainer.

Anno

For some odd reason (maybe this is what office work has done to my psyche), I really love getting forwarded mail from NPCs.

Door2Dawn

Banned
That's discouraging, was really looking forward to trying one as an alt.

Why are they frustrating?

It just seems like they can't do anything right. They do piss poor damage, and tanking is a hassle. They're awful in pvp as well, and I've tried defence and vigilance.

Moaradin

Guardian is definitely not awful in PVP. They do some crazy damage at level 50. Mostly very quick burst damage that is very hard to heal through. I think It's the focus spec equivalent? As a Operative Healer, they just destroy me. They can completely lock me down with all the interrupts and burst damage they have.

Zafir

Playing the Juggernaut, which is identical imperial version of the guardian, I disagree completely. Perhaps if you are putting too much into the DPS trees he is weak, but as a tank they are delicious. Course I would no doubt say the story is better on the Imperial version, so there is that. Been doing fine in PVP as well, once you get in your later 20's the Juggernauts/Guardians really get lot of essential abilities that work well for them in pvp. In PVE, they work quite well as well. Only way I can see someone not doing well with them is if they are not going with the tank build, as for dps builds/trees, they just are one of the crappier paths to go since all the other dps build options in the other ACs have much better utility and mechanics.

They are tank classes, and in most cases I think people getting into them don't know what to expect out of playing a tank. DPS and other classes usually are more interesting overall in MMOs. The ranged tanks also are much more flexible in how they can be played, and with all the jedi running around stabbing at each other, the ranged tanks often can stay at a safe distance and just play how they want, as a support, dps, etc, instead of a damage sponge like the Guardian/Juggernaught. Course a tank in pvp, well you are always going to seem at a disadvantage, because you are basically forced to play with other players to support them as your damage is pretty weak. This is why though lot of mmo now allow players to dual spec at least for pvp purposes alone if need be just because the pve class design does not equate to equal/fun pvp play. I would really like them to put it pvp dual specs. They seem resistant to dual specs right now, but they should let us have a PVP build option
I'm just curious, what level are you?

I'm level 50 and tank specced, and I couldn't disagree more with your opinion that Juggernaut tanks are delicious. While they are perfectly good tanks, Powertechs/Vanguards are better. They do more damage, and have an easier time keeping aggro on more than one or two enemys due to more AoE attacks. Why would anyone choose a Jugg/Guardian over them?

The forums are especially hilarious, saying you need more skill to play them(Which isn't true, in both warrior/knight classes cases). Isn't that just an indirect way of saying they're not balanced if you have to put in extra work for worse results?

For those bitching about the Jedi Knight i couldn't agree more

i rolled at jk until 30

started an IA today, levelled to 11

i already feel like the story is significantly better, the character is more enjoyable to play and i am a lot more powerful in PVE and PVP.

Bioware seriously do need to look at the guardian because right now its a weak as shit class.

I feel the same way about marauder. Honestly, I think the problem is with the melee Jedi/Sith in general. I have a 33 marauder that I might not go back to after leveling a trooper to 17. And this is coming from someone who ALWAYS plays melee classes in MMOs and does not like casters/ranged classes. The overall design of the class just feels more cohesive and fun to play.

A huge part of it is that the trooper has about 6 really good AoE attacks already while the marauder has precisely 1 shitty PBAoE until level 32 or so. The fact that half or more of the combat in this game is against groups of 3+ weak enemies makes single target focused classes stupid to level. That and the marauder just feels week.

As a melee class, you are always in the thick of things playing a pseudo-tanky style. You don't get any kind of CC to speak of, so you are taking a lot of damage. You're stuck with medium armor and generally poor mitigation CDs aside from cloak of pain. Meanwhile, pretty much every attack the trooper does is a soft CC on weak/normal level targets. Sticky grenade causes them to panic and knocks them down, mortar volley is the earthly manifestation of Jesus in attack form, full auto, explosive round, spray of bullets or whatever, they all have soft-CC effects built into them.

Marauder is really shitty by comparison.

Just did Black Talon.

Wow.

It wasn't a particularly great instance, but the party based conversations made it already better than most of the 5 mans in wow. Cannot wait to dive deeper into this game.

The convos are cool the first time, but when you start repeating the instance with other people who haven't done it yet and want to listen while you DON'T... well, you'll want to murder babies out of boredom.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Guardian is definitely not awful in PVP. They do some crazy damage at level 50. Mostly very quick burst damage that is very hard to heal through. I think It's the focus spec equivalent? As a Operative Healer, they just destroy me. They can completely lock me down with all the interrupts and burst damage they have.
Despite the flashy numbers, I think the focus and rage trees are terrible as well. A tree focused around one ability (force sweep/smash) isn't a good tree imo.

Must be at a higher level because I'm currently 13th lvl and still going strong with mine.

Somehow I had much more problems in making the first Coruscant missions with my Jedi Guardian than with my Gunslinger.

BTW, I made the Esseles mission (the first "2 player dungeon") and it was amazing. I loved the shared conversations, and how it seemed a single player rpg game, with coop. I never got the same impression in other MMO.

Ferny

What's the policy of non-GAFs joining Empire guild?

No other officers online but me for a long while.

New Years celebrations come first!

But we're waiting till after the first month to access whether we're going to be opening to non-gaffers for a bit.

Anno

i still cant figure out a comfortable way to keybind my IA Operative stuff.

Yeah, IA has been the hardest to keybind for me so far as well. Normally I always have companion attack bound to F, but with cover sharing that key I chose Shift-F. Put stealth on H. Luckily my normal attack skills are few enough that I can mostly keep them on 1-5, especially with cover pulling up a separate bar.

Also, it's nearly impossible not to hit the [Flirt] option in every possible situation.

Moaradin

My keybinds for Operative are crazy. Ctrl+1-5 is stealth and all the stealth related buffs like vanish, group stealth, etc. and defense abilities. 1-10 is for my damaging abilities. Shift + 1-10 is all my healing abilities. Alt + 1-5 is mostly CC and my aggro dump. Have a few random ones like Shift + R for my sleep and Shift + F for my snare.

frequency

I just did a [HEROIC 4] quest. I really really dislike that these quests are basically instances that require proper tanking and healing. That stuff should just be flashpoints. These quests I should be able to do with 4 people of any class and spec.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It just seems like they can't do anything right. They do piss poor damage, and tanking is a hassle. They're awful in pvp as well, and I've tried defence and vigilance.

I've heard some talk about juggernaut dps--not sure about that. But at 50, rage specced marauders and juggernauts are absolute BEASTS in pvp. 4k+ smash crits + survivability = awesome. Leveling as a marauder didn't really take off until 30 and 40, I've heard the same for juggernaut; if you love warriors, love the armor, just stick through it; it gets better at 50. And if you''re already 50...start looking at the guides and such that are cropping up.

Despite the flashy numbers, I think the focus and rage trees are terrible as well. A tree focused around one ability (force sweep/smash) isn't a good tree imo.

But it's not focused on just one ability. Sure, the huge deal about it surrounds your smash crits, but there is a ramp up and post-crit. Charge/Obliterate ---> Choke or Crush ---> Ravage ---> Smash ---> Force Scream; repeat. That's not just one ability. That's several that build up to a massive burst; I find it really fun (but there's also annhilation for those that enjoy maintaining bleeds, and carnage for the single target-dps; for a marauder at least). I've also heard vengeance puts out good end game pve damage when played effectively, but that's still up for debate since there's no combat log or nothing yet.

I just did a [HEROIC 4] quest. I really really dislike that these quests are basically instances that require proper tanking and healing. That stuff should just be flashpoints. These quests I should be able to do with 4 people of any class and spec.

If you have a decent healer, most of these will be doable without a tank. My levelling pal and I have done most of the heroic 4s with two dps and one healer.

Door2Dawn

Banned
So with all the issues with Guardian tanking, what is the consensus on Shadow tanking thus far?
Friend of mine said it was pretty solid.

Guardian tanking is pretty rough, but it's doable. But you have put some effort into it, while shadow/assassins, and vanguard/powertechs can just faceroll it.

Anno

Im making another alt, a sith inquisitor, what do you guys recommend assassin or sorc?

Do you like all range or some melee+some range? Or healing versus tanking? I'm kinda partial to the Shadow/Assassin because I really like double-bladed lightsabers and they feel like the class that's closest to my beloved EQ Shadowknight.

The early heroic quests are typically as hard or harder than the same-level flashpoints.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, IA has been the hardest to keybind for me so far as well. Normally I always have companion attack bound to F, but with cover sharing that key I chose Shift-F. Put stealth on H. Luckily my normal attack skills are few enough that I can mostly keep them on 1-5, especially with cover pulling up a separate bar.

Also, it's nearly impossible not to hit the [Flirt] option in every possible situation.
It's more operative specific than IA. Going sniper, there's a pretty natural order you can put together.

LiK

That's silly and dumb and I don't like it!

I guess I can just skip the quests but... It bothers me to leave quests incomplete.

Seems annoying at first but once you return to a old Heroic quest at a higher level, it's pretty darn satisfying taking out the dudes who were previously overpowered.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That's silly and dumb and I don't like it!

I guess I can just skip the quests but... It bothers me to leave quests incomplete.

I just skip heroic quests as the normal quests give me enough exp to level up and get to the next planet.

Top Bottom