• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Choc

Banned
For those bitching about the Jedi Knight i couldn't agree more

i rolled at jk until 30

started an IA today, levelled to 11

i already feel like the story is significantly better, the character is more enjoyable to play and i am a lot more powerful in PVE and PVP.

Bioware seriously do need to look at the guardian because right now its a weak as shit class.

Choc

Banned
I know what you mean. The lightsaber, for example, is given way too far into the game. I understand the need for an introduction but part of feeling like a Jedi is that weapon and I hated having to spend all that time with something that looked like a stick with a half-assed saber handle on it.

wow seriously? did you ever play galaxies? that took eons to become even a jedi let alone get a lightsaber.

you get the full LS within 10 levels (approx 5-6 hrs of play)

i think its fine. You also have to prove yourself as a Jedi before you get it. At least it has that.

There were lots of people on the official forums saying its way to early to become a full Jedi at level 10

edit: i think a nice fix to the AC problem could be allowing you to switch AC just before you get your ship and thats what you are stuck with past that.

Making such a huge decision for your character after you leave the initial planet is to much

Lain

Stupid question time.
I keep seeing schematics for armors that can only be worn by Republic players on the Imperial AH. I even got one from Underworld trading and learned it.
So I was wondering, is there a way to trade with the other faction ala WoW and the neutral AH?

Wallach

Stupid question time.
I keep seeing schematics for armors that can only be worn by Republic players on the Imperial AH. I even got one from Underworld trading and learned it.
So I was wondering, is there a way to trade with the other faction ala WoW and the neutral AH?

I'm pretty sure there is a neutral market on Nar Shaddaa. Hutt Cartel or something (the mini-map icon and station were the same as the normal GTN).

Stupid question time.

There's a neutral GTN on Tatooine in the PvP area, as well as a few other places (I believe).

I can only confirm the Tatooine one.

Walshicus

Stupid question time.

Can you do that on Nar Showaddywaddy? I noticed the auction house names were differen there.

Ken

When is the earliest you can be locked out of romancing a companion? I've skipped about three different chances to flirt with Elara but still in Act 1 I think; hopefully building up affection can make up for it?

Tacitus_

Ugh, navigating Corellia is such a bitch. Not only are half of the routes on your map blocked by unopenable doors so you have to go a looong way around, the available routes are manned by strong droids who will onehit you off your speeder. And everything is so goddamn far apart.

Immersive? Maybe for the first five minutes, but a total annoyance after that.

EDarkness

i rolled at jk until 30

i already feel like the story is significantly better, the character is more enjoyable to play and i am a lot more powerful in PVE and PVP.

Bioware seriously do need to look at the guardian because right now its a weak as shit class.

According to various people on the forums, they would have you believe that the Jedi are fine and it's simply a matter of learning how to play. I've been reading the class forums for a while and everytime someone brings up how weak Jedi are, a couple of guys (pretty much the same guys, too) start talking down to everyone saying that the class is a finesse class and that it has a high learning curve, but it's fine overall.

In my opinion, it's BS, but with this kind of stuff going on, I doubt the class is going to get fixed anytime soon.

is it possible to finish the started planet soloing (without insane grinding ot anything)?

difficulty ramps up for my IA and SI as I reach 8+ missions, and I havent played an MMO before

Darklord

Banned
Mako is completely bugged. It keeps saying she wants to talk but never does. Finally at the end of Act 1 it let me and queued up like 4 conversations. Now I'm in act 2 and it's doing it again. Fucking lame. I've only done 1 companion mission. I think I'm missing heaps. :(

i already feel like the story is significantly better,

latest pc gamer magazine said the jedi knight story was going to be for all classes before they decided to create unique stories for each class

Playing the Juggernaut, which is identical imperial version of the guardian, I disagree completely. Perhaps if you are putting too much into the DPS trees he is weak, but as a tank they are delicious. Course I would no doubt say the story is better on the Imperial version, so there is that. Been doing fine in PVP as well, once you get in your later 20's the Juggernauts/Guardians really get lot of essential abilities that work well for them in pvp. In PVE, they work quite well as well. Only way I can see someone not doing well with them is if they are not going with the tank build, as for dps builds/trees, they just are one of the crappier paths to go since all the other dps build options in the other ACs have much better utility and mechanics.

They are tank classes, and in most cases I think people getting into them don't know what to expect out of playing a tank. DPS and other classes usually are more interesting overall in MMOs. The ranged tanks also are much more flexible in how they can be played, and with all the jedi running around stabbing at each other, the ranged tanks often can stay at a safe distance and just play how they want, as a support, dps, etc, instead of a damage sponge like the Guardian/Juggernaught. Course a tank in pvp, well you are always going to seem at a disadvantage, because you are basically forced to play with other players to support them as your damage is pretty weak. This is why though lot of mmo now allow players to dual spec at least for pvp purposes alone if need be just because the pve class design does not equate to equal/fun pvp play. I would really like them to put it pvp dual specs. They seem resistant to dual specs right now, but they should let us have a PVP build option

gatti-man

Mako is completely bugged. It keeps saying she wants to talk but never does. Finally at the end of Act 1 it let me and queued up like 4 conversations. Now I'm in act 2 and it's doing it again. Fucking lame. I've only done 1 companion mission. I think I'm missing heaps. :(

I havent had any bugs with mako but after act 1 had over 7 conversations with her back to back. I guess they dont let you progress with her too far until after completing act 1. If shes saying she wants to talk you must be in a rest area. Is she still not talking once you reach your ship or a cantina?

Derrick01

Banned
is it possible to finish the started planet soloing (without insane grinding ot anything)?

difficulty ramps up for my IA and SI as I reach 8+ missions, and I havent played an MMO before

For my sith inquisitor at least I only came across 2 daily heroic quests that needed at least 1 other person, but those were optional. You can get through the whole starting area alone. Hell you can do like 95% of the quests solo, at least up to where I've been so far (level 16). Since I'm normally a person who hates playing with others I have to say I've been pleased with this, though I do wish some of the enemies were a little tougher. Part of the fun of being a rogue on WoW was trying to find ways to solo tough elites.

Won

Sooo.....is there are point to the whole mod system at level 50? Because with fixed stats and set boni on gear I just don't see it.

Darklord

Banned
I havent had any bugs with mako but after act 1 had over 7 conversations with her back to back. I guess they dont let you progress with her too far until after completing act 1. If shes saying she wants to talk you must be in a rest area. Is she still not talking once you reach your ship or a cantina?

That's the bug. Those are meant to be spread over the course of Act 1 but bug and don't trigger. Then at the end of act 1 it must trigger one that works, thus making all of them queue up. If you notice you'll see the "Mako wants to talk" icon show up but never will.

Moaradin

Sooo.....is there are point to the whole mod system at level 50? Because with fixed stats and set boni on gear I just don't see it.

Yes? Full mod gear gets 100% of it's stats from mods. The epic items from raids aren't fully modable so they only get 2 mod slots, because it would be imbalanced if you could just take the mods out, or so they say. You can get raid level mods and put them in full mod gear to make it equal in stats as an epic item with 2 mod slots.

That's the bug. Those are meant to be spread over the course of Act 1 but bug and don't trigger. Then at the end of act 1 it must trigger one that works, thus making all of them queue up. If you notice you'll see the "Mako wants to talk" icon show up but never will.

I had similar happen with my Trooper and the companion suddenly spitting out a ton of conversations one after another.

Won

Yes? Full mod gear gets 100% of it's stats from mods. The epic items from raids aren't fully modable so they only get 2 mod slots, because it would be imbalanced if you could just take the mods out, or so they say. You can get raid level mods and put them in full mod gear to make it equal in stats as an epic item with 2 mod slots.

Sounds terrible.

Dracos

Are you guys sure the companions are bugged when they say they want to talk and they don't? I usually take them to a cantina, since they say they want to speak in private, then the chat symbol lights up.

Moaradin

Sounds terrible.

Ok...

You can't just go out and buy all the best mods to make your gear as good as raid gear. Mods that are equivalent to raid gear drops from raids, and only raids.

It's a great system and one of SWTOR's strongest features. Reasonable way to keep the gear you like so you aren't forced to wear something because it has better stats.

Choc

Banned
Planets get fucking huge in TOR after level 25.

just make sure you do the side quests and you iwll be fine. yes the answer is you can.

There is also a (spoiler for IA starting planet end mission)
way to finish the planet WITHOUT going into combat

Choc

Banned

you do realise you have to do these in a 'rest' area right?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Really starting to get a stilted feel from the conversations now that I'm around level 34. Just the same reused voice samples from my character over and pieced in as a response to quest givers. This seems to get especially erroneous around bonus quests.

Just posting to say that warzones are awful. Game balance, matchmaking, scenario design, reward system (in that the rewards are too good), everything.

Ilum is just plain stupid.

Sokantish

Just posting to say that warzones are awful. Game balance, matchmaking, scenario design, reward system (in that the rewards are too good), everything.

I really like the PVP in this game, except for when people don't know how to pass in Huttball. The rewards are too good though, I have no idea why they give you Champion gear but then give you centurion commendations to buy the gear a step below the champion stuff. It almost seems like they didn't mean to give you champion gear, I dunno.

Won

It's a great system and one of SWTOR's strongest features. Reasonable way to keep the gear you like so you aren't forced to wear something because it has better stats.

Well I am forced to wear specific gear at the moment, because it has better stats. Sorry man.

Kinan

I will break it down to read easily. I am not numbering this to be pretentious.

1. Vanilla WoW had more World PVP then any MMO I have ever played including DAOC.

I wholeheartedly agree with most things you say, but this is a heavy overstatement. You may feel that way and it depends on how you define "more", but, objectively, it wasn't even in the same league - daoc was made for world pvp and wow was not. Both vanilla daoc and new frontiers daoc not only were the best world pvp games ever made, they also nurtured the most amazing community atmosphere and sense of "realm pride" wow has never had.

/offtopic

LFG

Neophyte
wish i had done more research before purchasing this. waiting in queue on full servers and never seeing anyone while i'm questing is really disappointing. putting groups together can be a chore. too much instancing. it feels like they took a single player game and tacked on some mmo features.

The rewards are too good yea, and easy to get. Was surprised by this.

The actual PVP is solid and like the scenarios they came up with here, hope to see more. Balance, yea MMO pvp balance is always iffy, it will be years later and they will still be going back and forth on the balance aspect since they have a pve and pvp game. Game is more about team work in PVP and the influence of the WAR devs show through. They should have put in a PVP dual spec option that some other games have done. Last thing needed is them nerfing PVE components to appease PVP whines.

Exact same thing happened to me. In the last 10 levels or so, I've noticed that Mako wished to speak to me while questing, but once I went into a cantina or my ship, she'd ignore me again. However, once I finished Act 1, she had 7+ conversations back to back

Anno

My Sentinel isn't exactly high level, but I seem to have decent survivability. It's just really reliant on cooldowns and crits. Speccing entirely down Watchmen so far gives me plenty of small heals via burn crits and nearly 100% uptime on Rebuke. Zen in Juyo form throws in some extra healing when necessary. I imagine this will gradually become less viable over time, and it's kind of a shame that the other two trees aren't as viable, but it's working for now.

EDarkness

??

I'm still using my level 25 gear that's fully modded to be as good as level 42 gear.

I think the MOD system is confusing and I find that I'd much rather have gear that has regular stats than having to worry about changing mods all the time. Honestly, I still don't really know how the system works, even though I have a couple orange items right now.

Tacitus_

I think the MOD system is confusing and I find that I'd much rather have gear that has regular stats than having to worry about changing mods all the time. Honestly, I still don't really know how the system works, even though I have a couple orange items right now.

It's as simple as the gemming system in WoW. You have an item with modslots and you can replace them with mods you acquire. They even only go to their own slots in the gear so you can't mess that up!

Moaradin

You should have seen the first incarnation of the mod system in the beta. Now that was confusing. Honestly, the game gives you a lot of mods while questing and you'll usually have enough to fully mod custom gear without searching for them. Typically they will be just as good as any of the custom gear you can buy with money or commendations at the time.

K.Sabot

I finished a quest, logged off for the night and came back in the morning to find the same guy coming up to me and asking for help for the same thing.
Has anyone else ever had this?

EDarkness

It's as simple as the gemming system in WoW. You have an item with modslots and you can replace them with mods you acquire. They even only go to their own slots in the gear so you can't mess that up!

Well, I understand it's like gemming, but what I don't understand is how mods can make a level 15 item a level 30 item and vice versa. What about set bonuses for set gear? Do those things carry over as well? Just seems like a lot of work to figure out and so I've just replaced gear as I've leveled without worrying about modding.

Wow, between you and the guy complaining about PVP and lightsabers, I'd think you'd need a PhD in patience to figure out this game.

The game gives you a modded piece at the end of the starting world, it tells you to go to a spot that shows you how to mod, the item that's moddable says CTRL+RIGHT CLICK TO MODIFY.

There are 6 types of mods that fit in their own respective slots. The mods are highlighted when you over the slot, you can't fuck it up. t's not confusing at all. As far as what mods are better than others, they're ranked by a NUMBER, bigger number = better. Hell just look at the stats even.

Moaradin

I'm still using this chest armor.

Base stats are:
290 Armor (Rating 66)
Total Stats:
+30 Cunning
+23 Endurance
+12 Critical Rating
Requires Level 26

Mine looks like this now with all the mods:
464 Armor (Rating 100)
Total Stats:
+60 Cunning
+53 Endurance
+26Critical Rating
+17 Accuracy Rating
Requires Level 41

Another great thing about the mod system is that it even lets you mod gear that otherwise weren't meant for you. You can take Sith gear, take the stats out, then mod it to be useful for you. I think the mod system is really unappreciated.

notworksafe

I'm getting this too. She keeps saying "We'll talk later" but nothing comes up when I'm in a Cantina or Ship.

I did manage to get one quest out of her, but nothing since then.

kai3345

Banned
Just did Black Talon.

Wow.

It wasn't a particularly great instance, but the party based conversations made it already better than most of the 5 mans in wow. Cannot wait to dive deeper into this game.

Top Bottom